Spinning, Spinning, Spiral?

Rafael's POV

  Rafael drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as he drove around North Carolina. He was blaring E-40 in an attempt to keep his mind from racing but so far, he was failing. He shouldn't be so angry, he knew that. But this had been brewing for months and it just wouldn't stay pushed down any longer.

  He had always been jealous of Val but wasn't ever sure as to why. He had no reason to feel less than but somehow, he had slithered into your life and made him feel insignificant in it.

  Daveed's name lights up his phone screen as a call comes through. He glances down before picking up the phone and pressing for speaker.

  "Hey, man! Did she like your surprise?"

  He sighs and runs a hand through his hair, rolling to a stop for a red light. "She did until we got in a fight."

"Y'all got in a fight?" The man on the other end asks, surprised. "'Bout what?"

The red light switches to green and Rafa presses on the gas to accelerate before answering, "She got some big offer from a ballet company and didn't tell me about it."

"But was she going to? How'd you find out?"

"I guess, after she told Val first, of course. I saw it from like a fan-page for her or something."

"Damn. He knew before she even told you?"

"Yeah." He replies quietly as he turns onto a random cross street.

"Well, what're you doing now?"

"Driving around until I can go to the airport."

"Do you even know where you're going?"

A somewhat bitter laugh escapes his lips when he replies, "Not in the slightest."

Daveed gives a small chuckle in return but his voice is solemn when he speaks next. "But seriously, you jus' left and y'all didn't say goodbye?"

"It was as close as what we were gonna get. I just need to get back to Cali and think about some other shit for a while."

  "I can make that happen but Rafa, I really think you should go back to her and smooth it over until it can be addressed when the tour is over."

  "It was what it was. We gotta leave it at that."

  Daveed clears his throat and lets a moment pass before speaking up. "Alright, I guess. I'll see you when your flight comes in. Still need a ride back or are you catchin' an Uber?"

  "Whatever's easiest," He replies and his best friend can sense what he needs, even if it goes unspoken.

  "I'll be there."

                                     ••••

Y/N's POV

"It'd be an incredible opportunity, love." Val spoke gently now as the two of you conversed over coffee. You had told him of your fight with Rafael and he'd offered to let you talk about it but you denied. It just stung a little too much right now.

"I know." You respond after a moment, looking back up to meet his gaze. "But New York..."

"You still have your place over there and it's not like you don't know the city," He points out before sliding over your half of the donut. It was a compromise the two of you had made for you to eat this morning. His fingers brush yours and he uses the moment to take your hand into his own. "It was your dream not too long ago, yeah?"