Cousin of Bilbo Baggins: The...

By BiancaEvans2

I'm sure you've all heard of Bilbo Baggins and of his adventures to reclaim Erebor for the dwarves. But have... More

Good Morning
Uninvited Guests
Map and Contract
Astrid's History
We're Going on an Adventure
Rain and Other Wizards
Trolls
Run Across the Field
Rivendell
Stone Giants
Down in Goblin Town
Into the Fire
Eagles
The Skin-Changer
Mirkwood
Escaping Mirkwood
Lake Town
Entering the Mountain
Orc and Dragon Attack
Company Reuniting
Lake Town Refugees
Choosing Aside
Fili's Death
Epilogue: Return Home

Bard the Bargeman

942 16 1
By BiancaEvans2

Astrid's POV

The river had calmed down and we paddle over to shore. Fili helped me out of our barrel and I go check on Bilbo. While he checks on Kili. "Kili's wounded. His leg needs binding" he shouts and I go over to help bind it. As Thorin said we need to keep moving afterwards.

"To the mountain" Bilbo clarifies.

"A lake lies between us and that mountain. We have no way to cross it" Balin states.

"Then we go around" Bilbo states.

"The orcs will run us down, as sure as daylight. We have no weapons to defend ourselves" Dwalin reminds him. "Except for Astrid and Fili" he adds. Thorin told Fili and I we have two mintutes to bind Kili's leg. So we get to work quickly.

While we bind his leg, some of the others sit down. Ori kneels by the river to empty his boot of water. We then notice we're not alone and I grab my axe getting in a defensive position Fili beside me with my father's axe. Kili grabs a rock, but it is shoot out of his hand by an arrow. "Do it again, and you're dead" a man says with a new arrow notched already aiming at Dwalin. Who is holding a branch.

"Excuse me, but, uh, you're from Laketown, if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire, by any chance?" Balin asks the man. I now notice the boat on the water and groan. I just got out of the water and he wants to get me back in it.

The man lowers his bow and boards his barge. "What makes you think I will help you?" the man asks us.

"Those boots have seen better days" I say as I put my axe away and Fili does the same with my father's. I must say it really suits him. I shake my head, focus Astrid I tell myself.

"As has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?" Balin asks the man.

"One boy and two girls" the man states.

"And your wife, I'd imagine she's a beauty" Balin says.

"Aye, she was" the man says and Balin apologizes. Dwalin tells us to stop with the niceties. "What's your hurry?" the man asks us.

"What's it to you?" Dwalin says stiffly.

"Enough Dwalin" I scold him and turn to the man with a smile. "We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills. My fiance wishes me to meet them before we marry" I lie hugging Fili's arm. He smiles down at me kissing my forehead tenderly.

"Simple merchants, you say?" the man asks. Then examines the barrels we'd escaped in. Thorin told him we'd need supplies, weapons and food. "I know where these barrels came from" he states.

"What of them?" Thorin asks him.

"I don't know what business you had with the elves, but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Laketown but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He will see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil" the man explains.

"I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen" I say smiling.

"Aye. But for that, you will need a smuggler" the man tells me.

"And for that, we'd pay double" Balin tells him. He contemplates it then agrees to help. We get the barrels onto the barge and Fili helps me into the boat.

"Stay close to me dear, and you'll be fine" he assures me. I smile and snuggle into his side as we set off. It is very foggy, and the barge pushes aside ice floes. Suddenly, large stone formations appear out of the fog. The bargeman expertly poles the barge between the rock formations, which turn out to be ancient ruins.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin demands.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here" the bargeman tells him. "Besides I would never hurt a woman" he adds looking at Fili and I. Fili pulls me closer and I smile up at him.

"Oh I have enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him" Dwalin whispers. I glare at him, this man is helping us.

"Bard, his name's Bard" Bilbo announces.

"How do you know?" Bofur asks him.

""Uh, I asked him" Bilbo answers and I smile.

"We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him. Come on now, lads, turn out your pockets" Balin tells us. The dwarves begin pulling out their money and valuables. I hand my and Bilbo's pouch of coins to Fili, who hands it to Balin. Who counts it along with the other things. "There's, um, just a problem: we're ten coins short" he tells us. Thorin turns to Gloin.

"Gloin. Come on. Give us what you have" Thorin instructs.

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! And what have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief..." Gloin stops speaking. As the fog thins to reveal Erebor. "Bless my beard. Take it. Take all of it" he states handing Balin his hidden pouch of coins.

Just then Bard approaches us. "The money, quick, give it to me" he tells us.

"We'll pay you when we get our provisions, but not before" Thorin tells him.

"If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say. There are guards ahead" Bard tells us. We turn and see the rooftops of Laketown in the distance. We give him the money and tells us to get into the barrels. Fili gets in and goes to help me in. But Bard grabs my shoulder pulling me away from him. "You stay out, put your hood up and act like a scared little girl" he tells me. I nod my head and give Fili a reassuring smile as I put my hood up.

(Lake town, Toll gate)

Bard had purchased fish and poured them into the barrels to keep the others hidden. I feel sorry for them. But at least I won't smell like a fish. I stand beside Bard clutching his cloak like a scared child. Which I am scared of the water, just not a child. Even if I am the size of one by men standards. 

"Halt! Goods inspection. Papers, please. Oh, it's you, Bard" the gate keeper says smiling.

"Morning Percy" Bard says as he pulls the barge in front of the gate.

"Anything to declare?" the gate keeper asks.

"Only that I saved a young child from drowning and have brought her with me. She'll stay with my family until her's finds her" Bard states gesturing.

"Very well" the gate keeper says writing something down. "Anything else?" he asks Bard.

"Nothing, but that we are cold and tired, and ready for home" Bard tells him smiling. He hands the gate keeper some papers. As the gatekeeper takes the papers and goes into his office, I look around warily.

"Here we are. All in order" the gate keeper declares handing stamped papers to Bard.

"Not so fast" a weasel of a man says stepping out of the shadows. I gulp wishing I had my axe on me. But it's with Fili along with my father's. As according to bard a woman or in my case a child would never carry a weapon. "Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm. Only, they're not empty, are they, Bard? And what's with the child?" he demands. I gulp moving closer to Bard.

"If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman, not a fisherman" the man states. He picks up one of the fish from a barrel and holds it up to Bard. He doesn't see Bombur's eyes looking up from the gap where the fish had been. He doesn't notice as he put the fish back either.

"That's none of your business" Bard tells him as he wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business" the man tells him.

"Oh come on, Alfrid, have a heart. People need to eat" Bard tells him. "Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce" he adds.

"Not my problem" Alfrid states. He gestures to the soldiers to dump the fish. I look up as Bard fearful.

"And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake, when the rioting starts, will it be your problem then?" Bard asks Alfrid.

"Stop" Alfrid orders and the soldiers leave the barrels alone. "Ever the people's champion, eh, Bard? Protector of the common folk? You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won't last" he tells Bard.

"Raise the gate" Percy orders.

"The Master has his eye on you; you'd do well to remember. He'll want to meet the child. We know where you live" Alfrid tells Bard as I hide my face from view.

"It's a small town, Alfrid; everyone knows where everyone lives" Bard tells him as he rows under the risen gate. I look at Lake Town around us, it looks quite poor and ramshackle. There are many channels of water throughout the town, through which various boats float. Bard poles us down the main channel.

A/N

Picture above of Bard the Bargeman and picture on the external link of Lake Town.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 5.4K 38
Enmira is a half elven skin changer, that went through a lot in her early years. After an encounter with Gandalf, she sees the company that she needs...
364K 12K 47
A long time after a far moons passed, The Kingdom of Erebor in the Lonely Mountain was taken from the dwarves by the evil fire breathing dragon...
8.3K 325 34
What if Bilbio Baggins had never joined Thorin Oakenshield's company? What if his cousine Andrea had joined them instead? After spending too long loc...
44.5K 1.4K 32
You've heard the story of the 13 Dwarfs, the wizard and the Hobbit right? Well they left out one thing, the Unexpected Member of the Company. I was t...