Lost Identity: Eloria Series...

By CRNedd

|| WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST || Since Ellis Moore was found a year ago with amnesia, she has tried her best to fi... More

1: Existence
2: Peculiar
3: Vacant Eyes
4: Hemley Park
5: The Crows
6: Ora
7: Elossai
8: Martin
9: Misunderstanding
10: Moving Out
11: Camp
12: Daybreak
13: Possen Valley
14: Nightfall
15: Ferocity
16: Martin's Injury
17: Corin Carriages
18: Say Yes
19: The Governor's Mansion
20: The Tunnel
21: Martin's Hunch
22: A Little Lore
23: Heart on My Sleeve
24: Gravity
25: Archery
27: Health Exam
28: Watchful Eyes
29: The Chest
30: Elossai's Insight
31: Meeting
32: Exposed
33: Keep it Secret
34: Woman in the Pond
35: Identifying Ellis
36: Undeniable
37: First Contact
38: The First
39: Decision
40: Escape
41: The Harbor
42: Stopover
43: Choice
44: Tau City
45: Changes
46: Into the Forest
47: The Third Figure
48: Second Plateau from the Left
49: War Raven
50: Passim
51: Detour
52: Life and Death
53: Traitor
54: Truth Revealed

26: Dunek Anmus Arrives

154 29 9
By CRNedd

7/12/3028

Stanjah gave me a disapproving glare from across me after I'd adjusted my veil for the umpteenth time. We were heading to Ien Harbor by corin carriage to welcome Dunek Anmus. Keiran, Jarek, and Ilta had left hours before. Martin was instructed to stay behind at the mansion.

It was the twelfth of the month and I've been dreading the day for two good reasons: first was meeting Dunek Anmus, and second was my health exam.

While I was unsure if Dunek would even like me—the new Sye-Liene—I was certain that any good first impressions would evaporate once he saw my face.

Keiran and Martin both tried to reassure me that everything would be fine. Martin's take was that if Dunek didn't like me, then he wasn't worth the stress. Keiran's opinion was that the message had been relayed to his father and was convinced that he would understand. I wasn't sure which outcome would be preferable. Maybe I would just sample a little bit of both.

As for the health exam, I didn't look forward to it for obvious reasons. I'd spent endless hours in hospitals in Hemley with psychiatrists trying to pry out answers from me. As if the traumatizing experience wasn't fresh enough in my mind, here I was again about to undergo a full Elorian physical exam, and I had no clue what that would entail.

I was dressed up in a fancier-than-usual, flowing, golden dress made of satin. The tiara was much larger than usual, and my blond wig was in a partially upswept-style with the tresses at the bottom half flowing freely down my back in large coils. Stanjah was also dressed up and wore a hat that was tall and finely embroidered. The lilac colored full-length dress hugged her body with a large rectangular cut-out shape that showcased her smooth back. She looked fantastic.

"Why couldn't we go to the harbor in the same carriage with Keiran and the rest?" I asked out of the blue.

"They'll be entering the harbor from the main entrance. After that, Keiran will address the citizens," Stanjah explained.

"Won't we be entering from the front as well?"

"No. You need to board Astor-Dunek Anmus' vessel at a remote location on the beach. Many of the citizens will be at the harbor today and you need to be seen exiting his vessel," she answered.

"Don't they already know that I'm here?"

"Your presence here is classified. After today, the whole world will know that you are here; for better or for worse." Stanjah peered out of the window.

"Keiran knows this?"

"Of course. It was he that reminded me to mention this to you. Keeping you secret from the world was for your own protection."

I didn't like the idea that we were making up false truths to the citizens, but at the same time the Ankins demonstrated that they would protect me and Martin. The hairs on my nape lifted when I thought of the menacing look in the Ra's eyes when she came at me with the dagger.

"Remember, you walk behind the Anmus—not beside and never in front, unless he implicitly gives you permission to," Stanjah said when we finally landed in a secluded location several minutes' flight from the harbor. I nodded.

Two soldiers from outside helped us out of the carriage. There was no sand here—just a combination of stones and dark pebbles. These soldiers were dressed differently from the soldiers of Ien. They wore lightweight, shiny metal armor with crimson breastplates. The emblem of a stag on a red shield was right above their hearts.

Praetorian Red Shields.

We followed the guards carefully, walking closely to the shoreline, until finally one of the soldiers pulled out an oval handheld device from a notch on his belt. The image of another soldier appeared on the small display screen above the buttons.

"She has arrived. Request to board the vessel," the soldier said.

A low rumbling came from underneath the water and an impressive looking transporter emerged from the sea, hovering over the water before repositioning itself on the shore. The sight of this massive machine several feet away made my heart skip a beat.

The entrance to the transporter slid open like the lid of an eye and out lowered a ramp to the ground. Once we all boarded, the soldier spoke into his communication device again and shortly after we were in flight.

We walked through sliding door after sliding door, all opening on cue through motion sensors. I was glad there was a veil covering my face as I felt the heat growing on my cheeks. I wouldn't be able to hide the unmistakable expression of shock.

Eventually, we came to a spacious room with a large, floor-length window. In front of it stood a man, sturdy and tall, quietly surveying the world outside. The man turned around and his ornamental shoulder piece of gold and silver sparkled as it caught the sun. He looked stern and his features were sharp and distinctive. My heart began to flutter.

"Astor-Dunek Anmus, Your Majesty," Stanjah said, bowing, "We have brought Sye-Liene."

I followed Stanjah's lead. The soldiers also bowed and held a fist to their hearts. With a flick of his hand, Dunek ordered the soldiers to leave. Stanjah prompted me to follow her and we approached Dunek.

I jumped a little when Dunek unexpectedly held my hand in his and smiled a wide, welcoming grin. I didn't know what to do so I bowed my head again, respectfully.

"There is no need for such formalities, Liene," he said, giving my hand an affectionate pat. "En-Stanjah, you may leave us."

Leave us? No!

"Your Majesty—" Stanjah stopped abruptly when her eyes met Dunek's. "Yes, my Anmus."

Before leaving, Stanjah flashed a glance my way as if to say, 'don't mess this up'. I was filled with doubt immediately.

Doesn't Dunek already know about my condition? Am I supposed to pretend?

I stood next to Dunek, awkwardly facing the window. Before us lay a vast expanse of water. Although the view was incredible, I was so nervous that I couldn't fully take it in. I was shaking, and I hoped that my gloves and long sleeves were enough to hide it.

"Liene, you haven't said a word to me yet," said Dunek.

"I..."

"I am aware that you have experienced some changes in the Ora. Is that what's troubling you? Answer me truthfully."

I relaxed a little.

"It's true that I have gone through some changes and it makes me at times unsure," I answered.

"There is no room for doubt, Liene," he said, rigidly. "I tell my son this, and I will say it to you—be sure of yourself if you wish for others to believe in you."

I've heard that before, from Stanjah.

We arrived at the harbor ten minutes later and from the window I could see a throng of Ien citizens waiting by the gates. They seemed so eager to catch a glimpse of their King. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I wondered if they were also eager to catch a glimpse of me.

Keiran and Tor-Kenner were on a stage platform enclosed by a glass dome. Jarek stood in the background doing what he did best—guarding. I could see everything clearly, but the crowd couldn't see us through this glass.

"Come," Dunek said.

I followed him out of the room without hesitation. Not surprisingly, Stanjah was waiting for us right by the door. She glanced at me as if to make sure everything went smoothly. I ignored her—it wouldn't hurt to leave her in the dark and let her wonder for a couple of hours.

When the vessel's door lowered, we were greeted by loud, welcoming cheers. The people were just outside the ship. Dunek stepped onto a gold carpet with scarlet trimmings. I walked behind him, remembering what Stanjah told me. Every several feet were Ien soldiers in red and blue imperial uniform that stood as sentries on the edge of the carpet.

The citizens cheered so loudly for us. It was wonderful, but I couldn't deceive myself in believing that the cheers were for me. They were cheering for their King and Sye-Liene, not for Ellis. It felt fraudulent walking with real royalty, but I had to at least attempt a regal and sophisticated walk.

We followed the golden carpet, parading ourselves for the crowd to admire until we reached the stairs of the stage. Keiran was on the first step, waiting for us.

Keiran approached us and greeted his father with a very polite bow, one hand over his stomach and the other behind his back, before he turned to me and placed my hand on his right arm.

"Glad you're here," I said. He smiled as we followed Dunek up the stage.

Keiran led me to my stop in the back before he joined his father at center stage just as Tor-Kenner finished up announcing us.

Dunek stood in front of a podium where a small device protruded out towards him. I assumed it was a microphone.

"Citizens of Ien," said Dunek, his voice amplified and carrying over the space. "The unprovoked attack on Possen Fort was a brazen display of aggression toward Ankinia. An incident that could only be explained as pure blood lust. We are a people that pride ourselves in our ability to reason and negotiate, and yet everything that has transpired can only be reckoned as madness. I view this strike against the Kingdom of Ankinia with the utmost severity. These atrocities will not be absolved." Dunek looked at his citizens, moving his head in a slow sweeping motion from left to right. Some of the citizens clasped their hands in anticipation while others nodded or bowed their heads, sparing a thought for soldiers lost. "First will come the people. We will focus on rebuilding Possen Fort and ensuring the safety of Ien City. Even as we speak, two thousand soldiers from Incus have been mobilized to secure the city and its outskirts. Next week, two thousand more will follow. Among them will be the engineering corps—they will not just rebuild Possen Fort, but to further galvanize it from attack." The crowd hung on his every word and listened with pious devotion. "Forty-three Possen Fort soldiers have laid down their lives. They will not be forgotten, nor their deaths be in vain. They will be avenged." Dunek didn't yell—he didn't have to. He commanded the entire space with his presence. He used calculated inflections at the right time, and he made mindful eye contact with a privileged select few.

I, too, listened carefully to Dunek's every word and believed him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 1K 35
Zoey Riggs thinks she is normal, until she is transferred to a new, different school. There she learns about a magical world where people have eleme...
818K 55.3K 90
The Goblin's Trilogy #1 After being raised by her three criminal brothers, Matilda is used to stealing what she wants. However, when she picks the wr...
10.3K 2.1K 50
- Winner of the Tricolor Triennial awards Paranormal 2023 - In a world where creatures of myth and legend walk amongst mortals, Celandine navigates t...
40.8K 624 16
DELULU & GUILT PLEASURE