Aries

By firedance_icesong

[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her bes... More

Author's Note and Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 27.4
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.1
Chapter 32
Chapter 32.1
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Stolen page - 1
Aries' POV: before meeting her
Aries POV: Lyra
Aries POV: the flame that does not die
Aries POV: an act of cowardice
Aries POV: first kiss
Aries POV: ripped apart
Character Review
Next in series

Chapter 25

49.7K 2.6K 916
By firedance_icesong

A/N: Thank you so much for nominating Aries in the Fiction Awards. I can't thank you enough. 

If you don't know, check out what Fiction Awards means! It is actually an amazing way to discover upcoming writers! (or undiscovered)

And yes, it is an early update! I just wanted to give you guys a surprise. 

P.S. Kill me later

*****

My body groaned as my eyelids fluttered open. Every single cell was crying. My nerves were grating and my muscles were moaning.

I shifted a little, only for the pain in my back to roar more strongly. Breathing out harshly, I scanned my surrounding.

Crying and whimpering would not get me out alive. It definitely would not heal me seeing the fact that these Magycs have drugged me. But what did they do to my body for it to pain so much?

Darkness greeted me when I let my gaze roam. Walls on which moulds and algae grew. I wrinkled my nose at the decaying smell.

I was in a dungeon again. I could simply tell. Thank Amaris! I was not in the Dungeon created by the Moon.

I tugged my wrists to see manacles holding them back. The more I pulled the spikes grew.

I really wanted to hit myself. This was a design created by Andrew. I should have guessed that he would have sold it to these people.

"Lyra?" A familiar male voice called me.

Ignoring the pain my nerves were crying, I pulled myself to a sitting position.

"Jed?" I called, surprised to see him in a cell next to mine.

He nodded and I could see a huge gash of a scar running down his face. "Yes."

I took in a sharp breath. "What are you doing here? Where is Ant? How long-"

Jed moved a little and I could see a small frame of a person lying next to him.

His companion's hair was messy and was till shoulder length and that person was breathing deeply as if they were in a state of coma. Other than that, I could see no other harm on Ant.

Or so I hoped.

I tried to find the bond that connected me to my pack only to find it dead from my side. It was as if the bond was in deep slumber.

What had these Magycs given me?

When despair gripped me, I dodged it and tried to find the one between me and Aries. To my surprise, it was blocked. That bond had been a fragile bond to begin with. It could snap if the one between me and my pack was masked.

It hurt deep in me to know that the bond I had with that star could break.

Jed sighed. "After they caught you and Ant, Brent and I followed the van. The Magycs caught up to us. I was able to distract them enough for Brent to escape. But I was caught."

I took a deep breath in and shifted myself to a comfortable position. "How long are we here?"

Jed said, "A night is over."

Just a night? If Aries came to know, I just wondered what he would have done.

I licked my lips. "What did they do to me? Did they harm Ant?"

Jed shook his head. "They did not touch her. Said she was a human and they would not stoop low."

I sighed in relief. So she was sleeping because she was exhausted. Thank Amaris! They did not touch her.

"But..." he said slowly. "They used their magic on you. They... transferred the pain of a few felons when they underwent torture to you. They did not touch you, as per se, but they just transferred the pain."

I gasped. "That's possible?"

Jed shrugged. "Apparently."

It was a good thing they did not touch me. Last time someone harmed me, Rhaze was about to challenge her Alpha. This time, I would not be able to contain her.

I shook my head. "Andrew?"

"That bastard visited you an hour ago," Jed spat. "He is good as new."

I smiled. "Good."

Jed blinked. "Good?"

I nodded. "I am going to give him a free face changeover once I am out of here. I need to look at his previous face to change it beyond recognition, you see. I won't charge him, I have a heart. The only downside, it won't be a scalpel touching his face. It would be my fists."

Jed laughed softly. "You sure have a way with words, Alpha."

I tried to pull the chains that bound me, but it only rattled against the dirty floor.

It was then the sound of a heavy door being opened reached my ears. It squeaked and groaned in agony as two footsteps came closer.

Before me, two figures appeared. One male another female.

This female had an uncanny resemblance to a friend of mine, Corvus. He was in the same field as me and we had published five papers together. A great warlock.

She sneered upon seeing me. "I am the Zayin's niece."

So what was supposed to do? Bow down to her?

As if I could.

The male smiled and there was nothing friendly about it. "I am Tzade Alaric Bell."

I kept my silence. What did these people expect?

"Lyra-" the which began.

The fury boiled in my blood. I snarled. "Alpha Lyra to you."

The witch rolled her eyes. "Alpha Lyra. I hope you know why you are here."

Though I could detect mockery in her voice, I let it go. After all, she had the upper hand here.

"No, not really," I said.

She smirked. "I am Hazel. Alpha Ethan had indeed increased the price for your head."

I glared at her. What was she going to achieve by this? My misery?

She crouched to my level. "He wants your body. I hope you know why."

I willed my face to be placid.

"He said, break her," she grinned. "And this is exactly what we are going to do. For the ties between East Tribe and West Pack are strong."

I sniffed. "Okay."

Hazel appeared to be taken aback. "What?"

I took in a deep breath. "I am willing to do anything. But I need a favour."

The Tzade leered. "You are in no position to bargain."

I ignored him. "Hazel." I tested her name. "I am not going to cause any problem. I will comply with everything you say. Without a protest. Just small favour."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "What is it to say that you will not break your word?"

This doubt was good. It meant she was considering it.

I cleared my throat. "I swear it on my life and honour that I won't be aggressive. That I will listen to you if my favour is done."

Hazel tilted her head. "What is your favour?"

Tzade Alaric stiffened. "Hazel, it is not wise to bargain with her. She is a rumoured shifter. And an Alpha that too. You simply can't contain her."

Hazel ignored him. "What is the favour?"

I looked into her eyes. The similarity killed me. Even Corvus had the same eyes. The eyes that started as hazel near the pupil that slowly melted to green and finally a gold cambial ring. While one was my best friend, the other had the mind to shatter me.

"Release the girl and the Beta," I said. "Release them and I will order my pack not to come after you."

Hazel' face was stoic.

The Tzade laughed. "As if your pack of seven can cause any damage to us."

I looked at him in the eyes and smirked. "I have a pack member, Tzade Alaric Bell, who was sent to the Dungeon built by Moon for burning a pack down. If I was to unleash him, I swear that even if he could not burn this tribe down, he will cause enough damage to last a century. After all, the world has indeed forgotten what a shifter means."

Fear echoed in his eyes but he shrugged. "As if."

Hazel nodded. "I believe her."

The warlock gasped. "What? Don't tell me that you believe this little girl's story of shifters!"

She turned a little. "I saw a female shift to a falcon. And not to mention, Alpha Lyra swore on her life and honour. It is enough for me to believe her."

The Tzade shook his head. "I hope you know what you are doing."

Hazel then saw me. "Why should I let the girl and the Beta go?"

I took in a deep breath, ignoring the smell of rotting flesh. "Because she is just a human and it would not be fair to harm her."

Hazel nodded. "True. And our tribe is short of slaves. She can fill in."

Many tribes, covens and packs considered humans to be slaves. Only if they knew who is female was before them.

"I gave my word," I insisted. "Let them go."

Hazel got up. "Why the Beta?"

Jed had wide eyes. I could tell that he did not want to go. He wanted to stay here and protect me.

I glanced away from him. "Because he is hurt and I need someone to carry the girl."

The witch glared at me.

"Also, I would be all alone," I added hastily. "Would it not be easier to torture me then?"

Hazel rose her eyebrows. "I wonder why you care for a human so much."

I gulped. "Because I promised someone that I would take care of her. Please, for the sake of that promise let her go. I will comply."

Hazel nodded. "I will speak to my Zayin and see what I can do."

With that, the two Magycs left, with the Tzade shouting at Hazel. And Hazel walked away as though he was shouting to a wall.

"Why, Lyra?" Jed asked. "Why would you do this?"

I took in a deep breath. "When they release you, run without looking back. Take Ant and run as fast as you can. When you reach my pack, give her to Arien. He will know what to do."

Aries, I pleaded via our bond. Please. Hear me.

And as expected it was dead from my side.

"Arien?" Jed frowned. "Brent mentioned him."

I hummed. "Yes. He will know what to do."

Jed then gritted his teeth. "You said you will not allow your pack members to attack this tribe. But that is bullshit. After what they have done to you, I swear I want to kill them all. Selling a female or a male especially for breeding purpose is a crime worse than murder. This Tribe if subjected to the law must bear the consequences."

I smirked at him. "Who said I would not take revenge on these people? The second they touched Ant, they had signed their death slips."

Jed frowned. "I don't get it. You said you won't attack them. Nor will your pack."

I smiled. "I have a witch with me, who is not a part of my pack. She might as well be, but she had not yet sworn. She is more than enough to annihilate them."

Jed blinked. "Who is she?"

I leant on the wall. "Kaina, the eldest daughter of Zayin of North Tribe. Her daughter is the Zayin of Summer Tribe."

Jed's jaw fell. "What?"

"Yep," I said. "Not to mention, Arien."

Jed asked, "What of him?"

A smile darker than the worst hell crept on my face. "Whatever that is dangerous you know of, won't be after you have met him. As much as caring he can be, you don't want to make him your enemy."

Jed gulped. "Is he that powerful?"

An involuntary chuckle left me. "You have no idea."

*********

Two hours later, Ant was yet to wake up, but the doors creaked and I could scent the arrival of four Magycs.

I stiffened my back.

Before me, stood two warlocks and two witches. I knew Hazel and Tzade Alaric Bell, but I did not know the other two.

But the male had an uncanny resemblance to Hazel, and I assumed that he was the Zayin of this Tribe. The female was calm and composed, not allowing a single emotion to rule her face.

The male who I had assumed as the Zayin stepped forwards. "I am Zayin Farrel and this is Tzade Alowyn."

The witch next to him nodded her head.

It was then I simply knew that Tzade Alowyn was the one who held the post. Alaric held the title because of his mate.

"Heard from my niece that you struck a bargain," the Zayin said. "Heard your proportions. But I wonder why such care?"

I sniffed. "I already told Hazel. I promised someone to take care of her."

Zayin Farrel smiled. "We want to break you. That's our aim. Why would I let the one that could possibly break you go?"

Before I could answer, Jed quipped. "Because Ant is from my pack. Harm her, you will find Alpha Eric at your doorstep."

Zayin Farrel laughed. "A nameless pack. Why should I be afraid?"

Jed growled. "Alpha Eric has treaties with so many nameless packs, covens and tribes that if we join together, we can take you out."

Tzade Alowyn cleared her throat. "Indeed, Zayin. Alpha Eric does have many connections."

Zayin Farrel's lips turned down in displeasure. "So we have to find another way, Alowyn?"

Tzade Alaric then suggested. "We have to throw her in the Maze. Alpha Harper ordered it, remember, Zayin Farrel?"

What was that? As much as panic filled me, I concentrated on not letting these people know that I was affected.

Hazel nodded. "Yes, ALpha Harper did say that. Good idea. No one has ever come out. And even the two or three who has, they came out insane. It would be the perfect thing."

I was willing to take up anything if it meant Ant was getting out safely. I got out of the Dungeon, I can get out of this too.

The Zayin's face turned to a scowl. "Why should this girl be in Alpha Eric's pack? It would have been so much fun if she was in Alpha Lyra's pack."

I maintained a forced smile. "We can't have everything we want."

Zayin Farrel nodded. "That's right. So we let the girl and Beta go and you will comply?"

I nodded. "I swore to Hazel."

Zayin then nodded again. "Tzade Alaric?"

He nodded and sparks flew out of his fingertips. The colour fascinated me. Unlike silver that Kaina had, he had greyish purple.

Before his magic could hit me, Zayin Farrel said, "He will release the mask we have put on your pack bond. Once he does that, you will order them to stand down. Understood?"

I nodded and braced myself. What could have happened to my pack? What happened to Nash? Was he alright? Were they able to save him?

"Alaric," Tzade Alowyn said. "Go ahead."

As his magic touched me, it was like peeling a layer of hot wax off me. I had always been in tune with the pack bond and when they had masked it, I had felt naked.

Now I was able to feel them. Everything. And I regretted it. I should not have asked them to take it off. For sometimes being in the dark was a blessing.

I was a pathetic excuse of an Alpha. As long as I lived, I would never forgive myself. I had committed the worst sin possible. Even if I had not sworn to them that I would behave, I would now, for the fight had left me.

Despair clutched me. How many more would I lose because of Ethan?

An Alpha must protect their pack members no matter what, especially the youngest of the pack and the most recently mated. If an Alpha fails to do that, they had failed at being an Alpha.

Apart from me, Nash was the youngest. And his loss was not something I would ever take lightly.

The death of a pack member burned my heart. I could literally feel it failing.

I gasped for air.

As much as the joining of a pack member brought me happiness, the death of one ripped my soul and took a part of it with them to the afterlife. Or as Mizar said, the River of Soul.

What was worse? Mina had marked Nash seconds before he died in hopes of saving him. But it had been too late and she had to go through the agony of feeling him, seeing him die.

I hit my head against the wall and whimpered.

I could feel Varian's anger, Aislynn's fury and Brent's pain.

Everything. It was not a good time to feel the pain.

I could freaking hear Mina cry over Nash.

I cried not caring about others.

I had lost the youngest and the recently mated male in my pack.

I had lost Varian and Aislynn's only child.

I had lost the kid who fought with Ant for chocolate.

I lost the wolf who went far ahead to threaten a star for hurting Miguel.

I lost a guy who purposely lost in a game of cards to make others laugh.

I lost the male who gave Varian the hope to pursue Aislynn.

I lost Mina her mate.

I lost my friend, my brother.

I would never forgive myself for this.

As I tried to pull myself together, Rhaze linked me. Thank Amaris I was able to get you. Where the hell are you?

I simply could not reply to her. Agony wrecked my body. I thrashed my body, the chains rattling.

At a point, the chain that held my right arm snapped and I hit against my chest as if it could ease the pain.

Cries ricocheted through the dungeon and I could not care if they flinched or closed their ears.

You... can feel it? Rhaze asked hesitantly. Can you feel-

Yes, I gasped. By Amaris, yes.

I wish I could hide it-

Don't, I snapped. I want to feel it. I deserve worse than this.

You don't, Rhaze chided. You don't, Lyra.

I do, I protested. It is because of me that he is like this. I should not have come. I should not have-

Enough, Miguel roared. It's already painful that we lost Nash. Don't berate yourself over it. Regret will get you nowhere. It is a wound that keeps itching and will keep itching as long as you scratch it. You need to put a damn medicine over it for it to heal. Now tell us where you are so that we can kill those fuckers.

I took in a deep breath. I am not telling. I promised them that neither my pack not I would cause them any harm.

Just as I finished saying, Aislynn and Varian roared. What the hell?

Ant is with me, I whispered. I have to get her out.

At my words, understanding dawned upon the grieving couples.

Still, Aislynn protested. You should not have sworn that.

I had no other option as of to get Ant out, I said. They were planning to use her to torture me.

Varian growled. Those bastards will pay-

Kaina and Aries will take on that, I said.

And the second I said, pride flared through Rhaze. And I could feel that the three Shifters did understand what I was telling, but they did not agree with me.

As long as they understood, it did not matter if they agreed or not.

Aries is already on it, Miguel said. 

I had a deep-seated feeling that Aries would do this. If not for me, then at least for Antlia.

A moment of silence washed over us.

I swallowed hard. I could not imagine what he was going through. The Royal he was supposed to protect was in a dungeon because of me. Ant was in danger.

I searched for Aries through our bond to feel voidness. Like he was losing it. I tried to grip on it, but it was a failing. The bond was there, but it was like chasing light at the end of a tunnel, a tunnel with no end.

I then commanded Rhaze, Don't let anyone come for me. Jed will bring Ant to Alpha Eric's pack. Take them both from there to our pack. Jed deserves to know.

Aspen is with us, Rhaze said after a minute. She wants war. Kaina has literally knocked her down with her magic to stop her from running after Jed.

Really? I asked. Aspen is with you?

Yes, Rhaze said. She is resting as we speak. She was quite powerful for a wolf or that's what Miguel said.

Okay, but do not pursue, I commanded. Under no circumstance.

Rhaze said, Yes. I understand, Alpha.

I cut our link to see Tzade Alaric looking at me with sorrow and pity in his eyes while his mate just turned her face. Hazel lowered her head and Zayin Farrel took a step back.

Hazel then cleared her throat and looked at me. "We never intended for anyone to die, Alpha."

At least this time, I did not sense any mockery in her voice.

I could not care about their sympathy. I had lost him. I was not going to get him back.

"Let them go," I croaked.

Immediately, Tzade Alaric opened the gates that held Jed and Ant. As the warlock worked on unlocking Jed's chains, Tzade Alowyn followed him and released a slumbering Ant.

I could see the fight in Jed. He wanted to take these Magyc's lives for they had killed his Alpha's sister's mate. But he knew that I was playing with my life to get Ant out.

His logic won the madness in the battle as he picked up Ant.

Tzade Alowyn said in a soft voice, "We have prepared a car-"

"No need," Jed snapped. "I can walk."

Tzade Alaric placed his hand over Jed's shoulder and muttered a few words and the gash on Jed's face began to heal.

"I never asked," Jed snarled.

The warlock released him. "I cannot reverse an unjust death. This is the last thing we could do."

The Beta then huffed. "How do you know someone had died?"

Tzade Alowyn said, "We could detect that sort of thing in the Alpha's cry. Alphas don't cry and this cry of hers spoke of agony and pain. One can detect it."

Tzade Alaric began to walk out. "Beta Jed, follow me."

With that, the warlock led him out. He gazed at me as he walked past me carrying a limp Ant.

I looked at Hazel. "What have you done to her?"

Hazel licked her lips. "Just a sleeping potion. She will wake up in another two hours."

"Good," I rasped.

As they left, Tzade Alowyn came to her Zayin. "We can let her be here until Alpha Ethan comes. She is already suffering enough."

"I agree with her, Uncle," Hazel said.

Zayin Farrel snorted. "I can still see the fight in her eyes. Her spirit is not broken. If anything, it had fueled her. I want her in Maze."

When both the witches refused to move, he commanded them. "I want this Alpha in the Maze!"

It was when a warlock rushed down with sweat covering his brows. I had once seen him in the photos Corvus had shown me. Bryn was the Reish of this tribe.

"Zayin!" he called in a panic.

Zayin Farrel's eyes actually softened. "What is it, Bryn?"

"I don't know what it is," he breathed as he saw me. His eyes widened and only after I rose my eyebrows and tilted my head did he look back at his anxious Zayin and Tzade. "But something is destroying the northern part of our tribe."

"Something?" Tzade Alowyn asked, taking a step forward.

Hazel frowned. "What do you mean something's destroying?"

"Some say it is a male," Bryn said. "I don't know. I did not believe the commander of the northern sector, but I saw the live footage and I did not know what to do. Nothing is standing in his way. He is destroying everything."

I suppressed my smirk. When I searched in that bond between us, there was just rage. The anger that understood no reason and explanations. It even made him forget that he was a star and that these were just Magycs. I tried to talk to him, but there was something chaotic in me that revelled in this. They were innocent Magycs, yes. But so had Nash been innocent. Did that spare him? 

As much as I wished that Aries was havocing the main city, I could not reason with him now. Not when my pain and helplessness was fueling his anger. If I interfered, the results would be more devastating.

Zayin Farrel glanced at me before he pinned Tzade Alowyn with his gaze. "Throw her in the Maze and then go to the northern sector."

"But Zayin-" Hazel began.

"Do I need to repeat myself?" he shouted. "Throw her in the Maze!"

Tzade Alowyn flinched as she opened the door to my prison.

I knew she wanted to rush to the north sector to help her people, but her Zayin her commanded otherwise. I could see the strain in her face, but I could not bother.

I had once promised that I would not allow anyone to die after my father and Aurelia. I had broken the promise I had made to myself.

She then released the chains around my hands and lifted me up.

My body ached, but it was nothing compared to the pain of my heart. I would take this physical pain a thousand times if it meant Nash might get to live.

Hazel supported me and they walked out.

Zayin Farrel sneered at me and left.

With the remaining energy I had left, I asked, "What is the Maze?"

It was Hazel who answered. "While West pack has access to the Dungeon, we have access to the Maze. It is a Maze. With all that twists and turns where you will be unable to find your way out. It is built by Moon. As the Dungeons choose the levels where you are imprisoned, Maze chooses how much insane it would leave you. While Dungeon would make you go insane due to isolation, Maze would make you go mad by messing with your head."

I looked at her. "What have I done?"

Hazel bit her lips. "I don't know. But the Maze, just like Dungeon accepts everyone. Both do not know how to release their prisoners."

I wanted to pull my hair. "How will you take me out?"

Tzade Alowyn said, "Alpha Harper said, she can take anyone out. She was the one to suggest to throw you down there."

Alpha Harper wanted Ethan to have a child with me? This was ridiculous.

She must have lost her mind.

The two witches dragged me through the large expanse of their territory. While a lot of Magycs were shouting and running here and there, the two females dragged me through the mess. I tried once again to reach Aries, but I just found rage there. No matter what, I could not release myself from their hold. Something was stopping me.

It took more than two hours to reach the said Maze's entry.

To me, it appeared just like a wall. Just a grey wall standing all alone in the great expanse. It was not even that tall. Just about nine feet high and about four feet in width.

Hazel let my arms go as she went to the wall and cleared her throat. "Zayin blood, Hazel Keeves. I demand and access."

At her words, an opening appeared on the wall. Before I knew it, Tzade Alowyn said, "I am sorry, Lyra."

She pushed me in and I could hear the door close.

I looked ahead of me. No wonder they called it the Maze.

The walls were more than seventy feet high and I could see the path on which I was standing, diverging into two.

I looked back to expect the grey wall but to my surprise, it was Maze behind me as well.

I sighed. The Dungeons had let me go. The Maze could too.

Determined to find a way out, I dragged my legs forwards.

A/N: How was the chapter?

Any character that caught your attention? One should have...

Anyway, the next chapter is from Rhaze's POV (yes a bonus chapter) someone should say what is happening at the pack, right?

Next update might be from a week from now. (Could be next Friday...)

Until then,

~Quill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

210K 8K 60
[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf whose life is controlled by scientists. All...
4.8M 31.3K 25
Serenity is an Alpha's daughter- and not only any Alpha, but the Alpha King himself. That makes Serenity the most protected female shifter among all...
71.3K 3.4K 75
What if all your life you were told your future was bright? That you were perfect luna-to-be, that the boy you love should according to all signs be...
208K 10.2K 111
"The Moon makes you a half... and then you find your mate. And together, the two of you, make a full" ***** It didn't start with a rejection. ...