Holding Back [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"I love how this book is turning out!😍 Not cliche at all!" - i_hatecliche "We might live next door to each o... More

Cast List
Worst Author's Note Ever
Chapter 1 - "You want me to give you a lift?"
Chapter 2 - "You're not special."
Chapter 3 - "What's wrong with being alone?"
Chapter 4 - "In case you're wondering, it's for drug running."
Chapter 5 - "No promises."
Chapter 6 - "Did you just say you'll talk to the nail?"
Chapter 7 - "Tempting, but I'll pass."
Chapter 8 - "Why did you come over?"
Chapter 9 - "Ummm...where's dad?"
Chapter 10 - "Cal, ninjas! Hide!"
Chapter 11 - "Can you give me a ride home?"
Chapter 12 - "Now you're the one flirting with me."
Chapter 13 - "Thanks for being my alarm."
Chapter 14 - "You two are great together."
Chapter 15 - "Oh my gosh, who freaking cares?"
Chapter 16 - "We're not dating."
Chapter 17 - "I promise I won't leave."
Chapter 18 - "I see you, Haley Day."
Chapter 19 - "I might have to take you up on that offer sometime."
Chapter 20 - "What can I say I'm full of surprises."
Chapter 21 - "Are you happy, Haley Day?"
Chapter 23 - "Why did you ask me to come over?"
Chapter 24 - "Why were you even drinking?"
Chapter 25 - "No, I'm fine."
Chapter 26 - "I don't want to drown myself in ice cream."
Chapter 27 - "It's a bit of a cliché, right?"
Chapter 28 - "Why didn't you invite me?"
Chapter 29 - "I'm still yours."
Chapter 30 - "You flashed us earlier. I'm guessing that counts."
Chapter 31 - "Ha! I knew I was your source of happiness."
Chapter 32 - "I think you'd look good in anything."
Chapter 33 - "I knew you only liked me for my body."
Chapter 34 - "I did warn you."
Chapter 35 - "You're still on to man the kissing booth, correct?"
Chapter 36 - "The kissing booth."
Chapter 37 - "Is this where I get a free kiss?"
Chapter 38 - "I don't want to talk."
Chapter 39 - "Why do you care?"
Chapter 40 - "Is there anything I can do?"
Chapter 41 - "Why are you lying?"
Chapter 42 - "We fix Haley Day's broken heart."
Chapter 43 - "There's the Haley Day I know."
My Heart Is Yours
Epilogue
Haley Meets Carter
Six Years Later

Chapter 22 - "What they say isn't true."

15.7K 1.4K 1K
By joymoment

The next morning as Haley pulled aside her blankets she looked to Jace's room. The doors were closed and the curtains were pulled across. For a time she simply sat on the edge of her bed trying to figure what she had said that was wrong. He said that she didn't understand what was going on, but what did that mean? Everyone knew he had the label of 'Player' so where was she mistaken?

On the tail ends of her confusion was the worry that she had lost something she hadn't even realized was hers. She never would have said Jace and her were friends out loud, but over the past two weeks, she felt like that had become her truth. Now she didn't know anymore.

Sighing, she got out of bed and went about getting ready for the day. As she entered the kitchen she found it completely empty. The smell of coffee lingered in the air telling her that her parents had already been there and left.

The house felt still. The stillness that comes when the occupants are gone or trying to be self-contained. As Haley grabbed a bowl and pulled down a cereal box, she tried not to think about the reasons her parents had left for work on the weekend.

Armed with a bowl of cereal, she climbed the stairs, hating the quiet of the kitchen. She was at the top when a muttered exclamation came from Matt's room. The word was followed by the faint sounds of a video game. Deciding she didn't want to spend her time eating and staring at Jace's curtains, she turned away from her room and headed to Matt's. The door let out a soft whine as she eased it open.

Her brother sat on the edge of his bed, leaning over a controler, his eyes trained on the tv screen. Too caught up in the game, he didn't notice her appearance. Taking his lack of comment as approval to enter, she walked in and took a seat in the chair next to his nightstand.

The room looked as if the person living there was already halfway gone. Half the bookshelf was empty, the posters that had once been on the walls were gone and there was a sense of neglect that hung about the room. The one addition to the place was the Notre Dame flag that was pinned over his desk. The single image spoke of the distance that was growing between him and the family, his mind already traveling across the country.

Not wanting to let her mind go too far along that line of thought, Haley focused on the tv screen. Matt was playing the adventure game that they had always played together. It was the same game that she had helped Jace out with the previous week. As she ate, she watched as Matt solved mysteries and puzzles. It was only when he got to the same baffling room that he got stumped.

"You have to twist the stones until they mirror the drawing on your map, remember," she said.

Matt nodded once and did as she instructed.

"Why aren't you at work?" she asked, as he navigated his characters through a maze of tunnels. "Go right and mummies up ahead."

"Thanks. I already worked as many hours as I could this week. They said they couldn't pay me any more overtime."

Haley nodded but found she had no response to give. Finished with her food, she set the bowl on the floor and curled her leg up on the chair. The character on the scene continued to run about, jumping over obstacles and going from one challenge to the next always certain in its direction.

"Are you looking forward to college?" Haley asked. It was a stupid question the answer was already before her.

"Yeah."

She toyed with one of her nails. "Will you miss California? We do have the best weather."

Matt gave a distracted shrug.

"Maybe. I'm ready for a change of scene though. It will be nice to experience something new. You know get away from so much familiar."

Fighting the sinking feeling in her gut, Haley nodded again, but Matt didn't see. Suddenly, she felt like leaving, finding someone who didn't have the desire to run away as quickly as they could.

Before she realized it, she was at her balcony door staring across at Jace's room. The curtains were still blocking her out. Not knowing what to do, she edged back to her bed and sat down. Her mind whirred, looking for an answer to solve the problem before her. From somewhere back in her mind an idea popped into her head.

Snatching some cash from her wallet, she left the house and headed down the sidewalk. The day was warm as always, but the heat wasn't oppressive, hints of spring still holding on. After a brief stop at the lone corner market, she was back at her house and standing in her room.

She didn't know whether what she was about to do would work or not, but she opened the balcony door anyways. Pausing, she listened for movement within Jace's room but didn't hear any. Not sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing, she ripped open the top of the M&M bag. Racking her brain for the meanings of the colors, she picked out a green one. With a silent hope, she tossed it at the glass. It hit with a plink and fell to the ground.

Nothing happened.

Haley searched for another green one and threw it. Again there was no sign that Jace heard the candy hitting his door. Settling onto the balcony, her legs crossed, Haley continued the routine. The pile of green M&Ms began to grow at the base of the door. When Haley was about to open the second bag to find more green, the door opened.

Jace stood there, shirtless, hair disheveled and his expression half irritated, half curious. At the door's opening, a few M&Ms tumbled inside, bouncing against his barefoot. He glanced down and focused back on Haley.

"Why green?" he asked.

She shrugged. "You said that they stood for peace, it was as close to apologizing I could get."

A faint smile tugged at Jace's lips but it didn't make it all the way there.

"I'm sorry," Haley said. "Clearly, I said something really wrong and I'm sorry."

Letting out a heavy sigh, Jace ran his hand through his hair. After a second of saying nothing, he held up his hand for Haley to wait and disappeared inside. Not sure what he was doing, she waited.

As she was biting into her second M&M, Jace returned with a shirt on. He crossed the balcony and took up his normal position on the railing, feet hooked around one of the posts. Unsure what to do, Haley tossed him a yellow M&M. Jace caught it and popped it into his mouth. His expression was serious, almost thoughtful.

"What they say isn't true," he said, his voice quiet.

"It's not?" Haley couldn't help the doubtful tone that slipped into her words.

"No," he said. She threw him another yellow M&M and he ate it. "Do you remember Amber? She was here a week ago?"

The image of an auburn-haired girl came to Haley's mind.

"Yeah."

"Her boyfriend had just broken up with her."

A touch of confusion flickered over Haley's face. "So she came to you...?"

Jace nodded and held his hands out for any piece of candy. Absentmindedly, she tossed one to him.

"Did you know I have ten female cousins all about my age or older?" Haley shook her head. The barest hint of a smile darted over Jace's lips. "I have seen more tears and heartbreak than most girls in high school." He shrugged as if it weren't that big of a deal. "For this reason, I also learned how to just be quiet and listen at a very young age. This is why a lot of girls come to me.

"Really?" Still, Haley couldn't figure out why they would go to Jace instead of their other friends.

"Yeah, a girl friend can tell you a guy is being an idiot," he said as if reading her thoughts. "Being a guy I can tell you why a guy is being an idiot. Sometimes it helps them realize they really weren't the problem, sometimes it makes them realize they were the problem. Either way, they get some sort of closure."

"Oh. I didn't know."

His smile came back and stayed. "Yeah, I know."

Embarrassed, Haley scrunched her face up in apology. "I'm really sorry about what I said."

Jace gave an understanding nod.

"I know I'm a huge flirt but I've never done that. It's not what my family or I believe is right. I meant what I said that first day I gave you a ride to school. They come for my riveting conversation." His smile turned mocking. "Okay, so maybe riveting is pushing it but you get what I'm saying."

Feeling the tension leave them, Haley laughed.

"Besides," he said, "my mother works from home, in the next room with the door open, I could never get away with the things people think I do."

"How did you even get the reputation that you have then?"

Jace raised a taunting eyebrow. "Would you have believed it if people said girls just came over to my house to talk?"

After a moment, Haley shook her head.

"Not at all."

He gestured to her. "See. It's the way things are. I'm labeled as a player because I have the unnatural talent of listening."

With an annoyed breath, Haley dropped her face into her hands.

"Why does high school have to suck so much?" she muttered.

A playful laugh bubbled out of Jace. "You think it's much different afterward?"

Haley raised her head. "It has to be, right?"

"Where would you ever get the idea that life gets better out of high school?"

She gave an unconvincing shrug. "I don't know, I figured people would be more grown up. They would grow out of whatever it is that plagues high schoolers to be mean and judgmental."

An amused expression crossed over Jace's features. "Haley Day, the world is mean and judgmental. It only feels like it's simply high school because you're in it."

Cocking her head, she gave him a doubtful look. "You're saying the whole world is like high school?"

"Kinda. You're going to meet mean, judgmental, selfish, annoying, arrogant, nice, genuine, hurtful people where ever you go. It feels intense right now cause you're constantly surrounded by those people."

Frustrated, Haley threw her hands up. "Then how is someone suppose to deal with life?"

"You find people who are genuine and kind and keep them around as long as you can."

Haley found she couldn't meet his eyes. "And if they leave you?"

"You learn to move on. It's the way of life."

"Well, it sucks."

Jace gave a careless laugh. "Yes, but only if you let it."

**********************************************************************

مرحبا
Miraculous ladybug!
(Arabic)

Before I tell you my thoughts on all this go ahead and tell me yours! 👉🕳👈

Oh socks on fire! I'm so mad at Jace! You want to know why? I started out thinking I would write a 'Player' who was legit just a player cause he could be and didn't have a stupid HEART OF GOLD! 🤦🏽‍♀️

But then Jace become someone likable with a heart for helping people, being excited about life and caring! GAHHH!! He makes me so mad! Why couldn't he have just been an egotistical jerk with no morals! For reals, the guy is annoying! 🙄

The problem probably came about when I based him off of someone I knew. A complete flirt but genuine and truly cared about people. He was the charismatic, charming guy in high school who every girl loved but he never slept with anyone instead used his energy and warmth to bring people together.

Dang! Jace really wasn't going to end up a tool if that was who I based him on. Well, that's a failure on my part. But I'm still choosing to blame Jace! 🙄

Does that mean this is a cliche since it's the bad boy with a heart of gold thing?

Technically he never slept around so he's not deserving of the title. So tell me, did I break a cliche or write one?

Now! I want the most outlandish predictions on how this story will end! GO! 🤪

Here's mine. Haley Day will run away and The Doctor will appear in his Tardis, sweeping her away. On her adventures with him she will realize how much she did love her life, come back and embrace the friendships around her! Woohoo happy ending!

Vote, comment, follow cause here's a cute cat in glasses!

He's trying to get through college so he can become a financial investor, okay!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 269 21
Caden grabs both of Lilly's hands, pulls them close to him, and says, "Lilly, please stop saying that. It's not your fault Caleb's a jerk who likes t...
307K 12.3K 66
I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "Does that usually work for you? The cute little remarks and that nice smile." I teased. He gave me a sheepish...
56.5K 1.9K 46
I suddenly crashed to the floor, my papers flying everywhere "Watch where you're going, Jesus!" The middle one said and kept walking. "Hey, asshole...
927 23 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...