patience is key | the karate...

By -legenderry

[ D. LARUSSO / J. LAWRENCE ] kat is the only girl in the valley who knows karate. after having a few run-ins... More

a.n.
➪ <3
➪ cast + characters
➪ playlist
↳ act i: the new jerseyan
i. why do you bother me, freddy fernandez?
ii. apartment nineteen
iii. the box of jars
iv. there in my mind
v. party crashers
vi. two hurt kiddos
vii. those baby browns
viii. soccer with the boys
ix. the fool
x. what do you mean "we"?
xi. tough jealousy
xii. king karate
xiii. dine & dash
xiv. daniel
xv. kitkat
xvi. one huge, gigantic love-hate square
xvii. little trees
xix. stepdad of the century
xx. the moment we've always dreamt of
↳ act ii: eye for an eye
xxi. a ghost and a shower
xxii. sticks n stones
xxiii. the past is the past
xxiv. young hearts
xxv. no mercy
↳ act iii: the karate kid
xxvi. curious minds
xxvii. wax on, wax off
xviii. trouble in paradise

xviii. impulsive decisions

3.1K 105 69
By -legenderry

xviii. impulsive decisions

ONCE KAT leaves the repair closet, she lets out one grand sigh and her smile drops. At this moment, she really wishes she hadn't gone to see Mr. Miyagi.

She trudges up the complex stairs, seeing Daniel's bike outside his door and remembering how she helped Mr. Miyagi fix it. Her eyes roll and she takes in a deep breath before entering her own apartment.

Kat opens the door, allowing the light inside to flood outside. She closes it behind her and spots her father in the kitchen, cooking. He turns around and looks at her.

"Hey, KitKat," he greets her without a smile and turns back around, "where have you been?"

"Just went a little bit over my shift." The girl lies as she passes through the kitchen and down towards the hall. However, Ace steps out of his room and blocks her.

"Hey Kat," he grins stupidly and raises his arm, "catch a whiff of this!!" He towers over his sister and her nose scrunches up, disgusted.

"Ace you dumb shit!!" She exclaims while trying to move away from him. Her brother laughs and dramatically inhales.

"Mmmmmm! Nothin' like some good ole B.O!"

Their father turns around to see the chaos and sighs, obviously frustrated. This is a normal occurrence in the Martin household. Ace taunting Kat, Kat whining, and Zack being there to save the day.

"Ace, quit terrorizing your sister and come set the table, will ya?" He says, looking a little disappointed. Ace frowns as Kat smiles, pleased.

"Wimp." He whispers to her. She furrows her brows.

"Loser."

"Little miss know it all—"

"Hey!" Zack Martin yells, cutting off his two children from going back and forth.

    Again, he sighs and turns back around. He mumbles a little something to himself but Kat and Ace aren't able to make it out.

Ace sticks his tongue out at his sister, who sticks hers out as well. She makes sure to bump into him hard as she passes by to get to her room.

    He winces before shooting her the middle finger. She rolls her eyes and he goes into the kitchen and she goes into her room.

    A few minutes pass and Kat comes out of her room, changed and cleaned up, ready to eat. She walks into the kitchen where her brother and dad are.

    "Kat, can you grab the water out of the fridge?" Her dad asks as he helps Ace carry the food to the table. Kat nods and does what she's told to.

    "No beer tonight?" Ace asks, sounding disappointed. Their father shakes his head and Ace groans.

    "Not tonight, bud." He says. "Gotta cut back anyways."

    Zack Martin says this while looking at his youngest in the eyes. He half smiles at Kat, who doesn't know how to react to this. But she tiredly smiles back and goes to grab the cups out of the cabinet.

   After the table is finally set, the three Martins sit down and say a quick word of grace before digging in. Their father had prepared hamburgers, fries and pasta salad. A little bit of a weird combination to say the least.

    "So, Kathleen," Zack says, putting some pasta salad on his plate, "how was your day?"

    "It was alright I guess." She replies, going to grab the ketchup. Unfortunately, Ace snatches it before she does.

    "Must've been more than alright." Ace snickers with a stupid grin plastered on his face. Kat furrows her eyebrows.

"What're you talking about, dumbass?"

"Hey, language." Her father says with a warning look. Kat sighs and picks at her fries while glaring at her brother.

"Kat has a boyfrienddddd." Ace teases and makes kissy noises. Kat's eyes grow big and her cheeks blush. Zack immediately turns to Kat.

"What?"

"I-I don't." Kat says, becoming flustered. "Dad—"

"Sure, Kat, sure," Ace shakes his head and still wears the same stupid grin, "then who was that blond I saw you hugging today?"

"What's he talking about?"

    Kat sighs, giving up. "Fine, there's this kid at school that I've been seeing. His name's Johnny."

   "Well he's not a drug dealer, is he?" Zack questions, taking a sip of water. Kat shakes her head.

   "He's not a drug dealer."

   "And he hasn't gotten in trouble with the law?"

   Kat, again, shakes her head no. Their father nods and shrugs.

   "I wanna meet this kid." He finally says after a moment of thinking. He digs back into his pasta salad and Kat raises her eyebrows.

   "Really?" She asks, and Ace makes the same expression.

   "Really?" He asks, also. Zack nods and looks at his children with a serious expression.

   "Yeah," he answers, "any guy who thinks he's good enough for my Kat, I think I oughta meet."

Kat narrows her eyes and shoots Ace a deadly look, for it was his fault for bringing up Johnny. She kicks him again underneath the table and he winces. Why oh why did he have to bring him up? The last thing she needs is this.

Sure, she likes Johnny. I mean, don't we all? But she hasn't even been going out with him for a month. It's like everything is moving so fast (unlike this story).

"You know, dad," she speaks up, "he's a pretty busy guy so I don't think—"

"If he has enough time for you, Kat, he'll have enough time for us. We'll have him over for dinner this weekend. That's final."

And the conversation ended there.

——————

After dinner, Kat is left to clean up the table and the dishes. Her father went to bed and didn't say a word to her, but did give her a kiss on the head. And Ace, well Ace decided to take the keys and go for a drive.

She stands over the sink, scrubbing away at the dishes. She doesn't mind, it gives her time to think about the day she had and all of its events.

Going to school, seeing Johnny, making sure he actually apologized to Daniel, going to work, coming home and.. kissing Johnny for the first time.

She could feel chills run down her spine and again, the butterflies stir in her stomach. But then they drop when she also remembers how she saw Daniel again that afternoon, and the conversation they had.

And suddenly she hears an indistinct conversation happening outside. She sets down the dish she had in her hand and goes over to the window, hearing the conversation more clearly as she approaches it.

Surprise surprise, it's Daniel and his mother.

She sighs and thinks for a moment. Then impulsively goes and opens up her door and steps outside into the night.

She sees Daniel about to go in his apartment after his mom, but he stops when he hears her step out. They look at each other and don't say anything for about a minute or two.

"Hey." Kat finally says. Daniel lowers his brows.

"Hey." He looks at her, confused.

She rolls in her lips and starts to feel all shaky and nervous. She isn't really sure what she's doing and can already tell that maybe this isn't the best idea.

"Look," she begins, though isn't really sure where she's going, "I want to be on good terms. And I know that's complicated right now and everything because I'm dating your mortal enemy—"

"Kat—"

"I like you Daniel," she continues, "but I also really like Johnny. I need you to understand that. And that I want to be on good terms."

Daniel sighs, unsure of what to say. He looks away from her face and down at the ground.

"How can you like him?" He asks, looking disturbed. "He.. he beat me up."

"How can you like Ali?" She laughs, confused. "She hurt me." Daniel shrugs and looks at her in the eyes.

"I.. I don't know."

"Exactly."

There's another moment of silence between the two, both of them unsure of what to say next. How did they end up here?

"How did we end up here?" Daniel chuckles uneasily, breaking the silence. Kat weakly smiles and shrugs.

"I don't know."

Daniel thinks for a moment. "Maybe.. it's best if we're not seen with each other, you know?"

Kat lowers her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"Like at school." Daniel explains. "Here and maybe a few other places would be fine, but I don't wanna risk yours or my 'relationship', you know?"

Kat frowns. "Yeah."

"It's for the best." Daniel shrugs, feeling a little bit down as well. "At least for now, until things are neutral for sure."

"I understand." Kat nods, half smiling again. Daniel nods and extends his hand out.

"Friends?"

Kat looks at it, and then at him, and nods.

"Friends."

————
a.n.
i don't know what i'm doing anymore please help me i feel like i'm just giving y'all filler chapters

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 295 15
❝You've been this way since I met you.❞ ❝Yet, you still tolerate me.❞ ; Bobby Brown's sister falls in attachment with Johnny Lawrence a friend of he...
127K 2.1K 41
(Y/n) just moved to California from New York. It's her first day in West Valley High and meets Daniel LaRusso. A nice, cute, and funny guy. They beco...
144K 3.8K 29
New mom... new feelings... new friends... Book 2 of the M.D. series #4 in #migueldiaz
31.9K 607 17
Johnny Lawrence hates Daniel LaRusso's guts or... perhaps he wants him to rearrange his guts. Johnny has fallen for the dark brown-eyed handsome boy...