vii. those baby browns

"DANIEL!" Lucille calls her son as she stands over the stove, poking at the scrambled eggs in the pan in front of her. Annoyed, she rolls her eyes and takes in a deep breath. "Daniel!"

"Oh!"She jumps with a light laugh, startled as her son enters with his head down low. He opens up the refrigerator door, pulling out the orange juice and pouring it into a cup.

"How was the party?" She asks, turning back towards the stove and poking the eggs some more with a bright smile. Daniel shrugs, closing the fridge door and setting the cup down on the table.

"It was okay."

His mother picks up the pan of eggs and hurries towards the table with them. She sits down in one of the two seats and adjusts herself.

"Must've been more than just okay," she laughs, folding out a napkin on her lap. "I didn't hear you come home last night. Any friend material?"

Distracted by looking out the window, Daniel's shoulders shrug. "Some."

He jumps when seeing Kat lock her apartment door. She wears her red hat and keeps her head down low. Must've been because of her eye.

"I gotta go, ma." He excuses himself, grabbing the strap of his book bag and heading to the door.

"Eat first." She points at the empty chair in front of her. Daniel turns towards her and shrugs again.

"I'm not hungry."

"I didn't ask if you were hungry," she shakes her head and cracks a smile. "You need energy to be charming."

Daniel waves his hand in the air dismissively while still looking out the dirty window, watching as Kat kicks her bike stand up.

"I got energy," he reasons before moving closer to the door. "See ya!" His mother narrows her eyes, glaring at her son suspiciously.

"Daniel," she calls him sternly, making him stop right in front of the screen door and turn back around. "Take off the glasses."

Daniel's eyebrows lower. "Why?"

"Because I asked you to." She says calmly, clasping her hands in front of her on the table.

"C'mon, ma," Daniel chuckles. "It's California–"

"Take 'em off, I wanna see those baby browns." She coos, smiling cheekily as her son instantly frowns. He scoffs and shakes his head. He hated that term.

"Ma, stop it with the baby browns–"

"Are you on something?"

"Yeah, Minute Maid." Daniel quickly jokes, turning to leave again. Lucille, however, is not amused.

"Why are you hiding your eyes?"

"Ma, I'm not hiding my eyes–"

"Then take them off."