xviii. impulsive decisions

ONCE KAT leaves the repair closet, she lets out one grand sigh and her smile drops. At this moment, she really wishes she hadn't gone to see Mr. Miyagi.

She trudges up the complex stairs, seeing Daniel's bike outside his door and remembering how she helped Mr. Miyagi fix it. Her eyes roll and she takes in a deep breath before entering her own apartment.

Kat opens the door, allowing the light inside to flood outside. She closes it behind her and spots her father in the kitchen, cooking. He turns around and looks at her.

"Hey, KitKat," he greets her without a smile and turns back around, "where have you been?"

"Just went a little bit over my shift." The girl lies as she passes through the kitchen and down towards the hall. However, Ace steps out of his room and blocks her.

"Hey Kat," he grins stupidly and raises his arm, "catch a whiff of this!!" He towers over his sister and her nose scrunches up, disgusted.

"Ace you dumb shit!!" She exclaims while trying to move away from him. Her brother laughs and dramatically inhales.

"Mmmmmm! Nothin' like some good ole B.O!"

Their father turns around to see the chaos and sighs, obviously frustrated. This is a normal occurrence in the Martin household. Ace taunting Kat, Kat whining, and Zack being there to save the day.

"Ace, quit terrorizing your sister and come set the table, will ya?" He says, looking a little disappointed. Ace frowns as Kat smiles, pleased.

"Wimp." He whispers to her. She furrows her brows.

"Loser."

"Little miss know it all—"

"Hey!" Zack Martin yells, cutting off his two children from going back and forth.

    Again, he sighs and turns back around. He mumbles a little something to himself but Kat and Ace aren't able to make it out.

Ace sticks his tongue out at his sister, who sticks hers out as well. She makes sure to bump into him hard as she passes by to get to her room.

    He winces before shooting her the middle finger. She rolls her eyes and he goes into the kitchen and she goes into her room.

    A few minutes pass and Kat comes out of her room, changed and cleaned up, ready to eat. She walks into the kitchen where her brother and dad are.

    "Kat, can you grab the water out of the fridge?" Her dad asks as he helps Ace carry the food to the table. Kat nods and does what she's told to.

    "No beer tonight?" Ace asks, sounding disappointed. Their father shakes his head and Ace groans.

    "Not tonight, bud." He says. "Gotta cut back anyways."

    Zack Martin says this while looking at his youngest in the eyes. He half smiles at Kat, who doesn't know how to react to this. But she tiredly smiles back and goes to grab the cups out of the cabinet.