xv. kitkat

xv. kitkat

"RISE AND shine, KitKat," sings a loud voice in apartment nineteen, "it's time to get up!" Kat groans and covers her face with a pillow.

"Why can't you just get a job, already?"

Ace flops down on her bed and begins to poke her. "Because I'd rather be here, bothering you."

"Oh, get out." Kat says, wacking her brother with her pillow. He cackles and stands up from the bed. He then walks over to her door, leaning against the frame with a sly smirk on his face and his arms crossed.

"I'm driving you to school—"

"Seriously, get out!" Kat raises her voice and chucks her pillow at Ace, who chuckles and closes the door. Kat leans back on her bed and stares up at the ceiling.

    "Jesus take the wheel if he does drive me."

    Now wide awake, Kat decides to go ahead and get up. She closes her door and locks it before getting dressed for the day. While choosing her outfit — though, not really giving a shit about what she looked like — she thinks about Daniel. And last night.

    Though it was dark, Kat could tell that Daniel had another run in with Johnny. And that, for her and for Daniel, is not good news.

   After getting dressed, Kat walks out of her bedroom and into the main area with a toothbrush hanging out of her mouth.

     She grabs her book bag from beside the door and slings it over her shoulder. Her father stands over the stove, cooking breakfast.

    "Hey dad," Ace says while walking into the kitchen, dressed and ready to go. "Don't you think it's a good idea if I take Kat to school?"

    Ace gives Kat another sly grin while she shoots him the finger. Ace clutches his chest, acting as if he was offended, then returns to his stupid-looking expression.

    "Yeah, sure." Their father answers. He turns around with two plates of smoked ham and eggs in his hands and sets them down on the table.

    "Serves you right. You came home late last night." He looks directly at Kat, who looks back at him, shocked.

    "I wuh a' worf." She says with her mouth full of toothpaste. Her father shakes his head and points to the bathroom.

    "Go spit that out and come and eat," he says, grabbing a dish towel to wipe his hands off, "you need energy to get those good grades."

———

    About a half hour later, Daniel steps out of his apartment and his face covered in kisses from his mom. He shuts the door behind him and releases a grand sigh of relief.

   He starts to make his way down the staircase but stops himself when catching Kat's apartment door in the corner of his eye. And he can't help but turn and look at it. In his mind, he can hear himself screaming from yesterday. And boy does it not feel good.

    Daniel continues to move down the stairs and towards the exit of the apartment complex, where he gets onto the bus and doesn't say a word.