Project Faith

By tellmeaboutyou

"Weapons are deadly but not as deadly as the person that wields it." In the mid-twenty-fourth century, Earth... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Cast
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 18

146 65 16
By tellmeaboutyou

Lydia assisted Faith as they walked to the brig. Faith's body was doing better, but she wasn't at a hundred percent. The walk wasn't long, but it felt it was taking forever. It wasn't because of Faith's injuries, it was Faith's fear of what she did to her friend. Faith wanted to know if their friendship could be saved. The moment the door opened to the brig, Faith got a light feeling in her stomach. Her hand shook a little and her perspiration increased. Lydia noticed the minor changes in Faith and took a strong firm grip of Faith. The touch of Lydia brought a calming feeling throughout Faith's body. Lydia had that effect on her warrior lover.  Piet looked at Faith as she slowly limped into the room. Piet offered Faith a seat and she quickly accepted and slowly fell into the chair. Lydia walked to Ezi's cell.

"You wanted to talk?" Lydia asked.

Ezi's was sitting in the cell with her back was to them. She slowly turned around, there was some bruising to the face and some bandages around her chest. Since most of her injuries were cuts, bruises, and some broken ribs and no internal damage, she was healing quite well. "Yes," Ezo said slowly and looked at Faith. "You healed well, little one, considering the punishment I dealt you. I'm very impressed."

"You are healing well yourself," Faith said.

"I didn't want to hurt you," Ezi said.

"You did and I'm not talking about the electric shocks," Faith snapped back. "You tried to use me, mess with my head. How long have you been planning this?"

"I needed you on my side for this to work."

"It failed."

"Enough of the small talk," Lydia said. She wanted to get back to the purpose of this meeting. "We have a lot to discuss."

"I agree," Ezi said.

Piet noticed the subtle hints from both Ezi and Lydia that it was best for him to exit the room so the three could have some privacy.

"What is your endgame?" Lydia asked.

Ezi whimpered and held her ribs as she stood. "I haven't been planning this as Faith suggested. I believe you have no knowledge of the planned attack on Uma, but you have made a career in lying. But you are a logical person and attacking the base wasn't logical. I don't even believe Amuliusever approaches you about this idea."

"Amulius is a logical person, but also very devious," Lydia added. "He is always thinking ten steps ahead. His plans make sense to him and it might make sense to others three years later. He wanted your people technology and I assumed this gave him the opportunity to get it."

"For what purpose?" Ezi asked.

Lydia folded her arms. "Before I answer that question, I must know. Have you passed any information back to your people?"

"No," Ezi answered.

"Why should I believe you?"

"Because it doesn't benefit my people."

Lydia paused before she offered to give the shavili an answer. "He wanted to see if biotech could assist in the bonding process with AMPED."

"For the purpose of?" Ezi asked.

"Creating an army of super soldiers," Lydia said, "an army of Faiths."

"Just like my people wanted with me."

"Thank you for not leaking the information," Lydia said. "As I told you before, it could lead to a lot of problems, especially Earth involvement."

"Who all know about this?" Faith asked.

"The three of us and Piet," Lydia said. "We are keeping this circle small."

"Creating an enhance army is illegal by Association codes," Ezi said, "which does not apply to my people."

"SINDRI operates outside of the official government of Earth," Lydia said. "We operate under our own rules. Rules, at times, could cause some serious problems. Secrets of SINDRI need to stay that way, secrets. We have a motto: 'Through the shadows, we persevered.'"

Ezi laughed. "Human seemed to be a very paranoid species."

"Cautious is the word I would use," Lydia replied. "To be honest with you Ezi, you are an unloose end. I should kill you. But I won't."

"Why not?" Ezi questioned. "You are logical, you should kill me, but I'm glad that you decided against it, but why?"

"You could have leaked the info anytime you want," Lydia said, "but you didn't. There are two reasons why. The first is because you trust us, for now. The second is because you have your own agenda. What is it?"

Ezi smiled a big toothy grin. "I need friends, with power and influence and you fit both categories perfectly. It can be a very mutual and beneficial relationship."

"As long your agenda does not overstep mine, we have a deal. If you screw me, I will screw you, hard."

A puzzled look came over Ezi's face. "How is that a bad thing?"

"Trust me," Faith interjected. "It is a bad thing."

Lydia entered the code by Ezi's door and her cell screen opened. "Welcome back to the crew of the Enigma."

"Thank you," Ezi said as she limped her way out of the cell.

"I hope y'all made up," Piet's voice came over on the intercom. "We have a priority message sent by an SMP." An SMP or secure message probe was a way to communicate with each other when neither party was connected to the Interstellar Network Hub. It was a very risky way to send a message. Probes could easily get lost and never find its destination. They usually contained a short message, like 'Connect to the INH ASAP,' which was the message of this one. Each ship had a unique ID probe number, which assisted the probe in location the ship, but the sender must have a recent location of the ship or the probe could wander in the vast areas of space. It could take days, weeks or years for a probe to reach its destination. Lydia was lucky. This probe was launched four days ago. SINDRI kept better tabs on their ships. Piet informed Lydia she must connect to the INH.

Lydia went to the briefing room waiting for Vlad to connect to the INH. While waiting, Lydia's mind was wandering. 'What other agenda Amulius had? What was he keeping from me? What was his real endgame?' These were answers she knew that she would never get from him.

"Incoming message from Amulius," Piet said. "The channel is open."

"Lydia, we have good news for you." Lydia could hear the excitement in his Amulius's voice. "We located the ship. I'm sending the coordinates to you now."

"This is a big move," Lydia warned. "We spend most of this mission striking military targets. This could get really messy."

"You attack who we tell you to attack little girl," Another voice jumped in the conversation.

"Captain Jackson." Lydia recognized the voice right away. "Do you ever go back to Star Force?"

"I'm more effective here," the Captain snapped back.

"There is too much liability to attack a civilian ship," Lydia said. "We are talking war crimes. Are you ready for that?"

"You already committed war crimes," The Captain said. "What a few more dead monkeys?"

"It is not in our best interest for the drilli to end this war," Amulius explained. "We want them crush and broken."

"They are beaten and weaken," Lydia said.

"We need them crushed and broken," Amulius repeated. "I don't want them to be a threat ever again. I want their Republic to fall into chaos."

"You have your orders," the Captain said, "carry them out."

"Amulius, you should reconsider," Lydia pleaded. "This is going too far."

"I want that ship destroyed in twenty-four hours. Amulius out." The channel went dead.

"Piet, get the crew together in the briefing room," Lydia ordered. "We have a lot to talk about."

The crew gathered in the briefing room, Vlad listened via intercom. The crew thought Lydia was going to give them a quick mission briefing, but it turned into something else.

Lydia waited until the room quieted down. "I haven't been fully honest with you. I know my position does require me to keep things close to my chest, but it is getting harder to do that recently. There is a peaceful envoy heading to nessian's space to work out a cease-fire and put an end to the drilli's civil war. SINDRI believe this is not in the best interest of Earth and order us to destroy the peace envoy. It is a civilian's ship. It has no weapons and limited screens. It is a soft target."

"We can't do this," Faith said, "will be murderers."

"Coming from you," Simona added, "that funny. How many people have you killed personally? How many indirectly have you killed? Killing for you is first, second and third nature for you. Don't get me wrong, Faith. I admired your abilities and envy your skills. You are nothing but a pretty shaved drillus."

Faith clenched her teeth and both of her fists. She let out a long deep breath. "I will let you have that one and thank you for calling me pretty."

Lydia sat back in her chair. "You two need to stop. I'm going to do something different this time. We are going to vote. The majority will rule. Faith, you go first."

"I vote no," Faith said. "I think this is going too far."

Simona looked at Lydia. "Ma'am, we should complete the mission and blew those monkeys out of the stars. A weaken drilli republic, only strengthen our position. I vote yes."

"I have no say in this fight," Ezi said, "but a weaken drilli will benefit my people. My vote is yes."

"This is not what I signed up for," Piet said. "I know we end issues before they become problems. But this is different. This feels wrong. I vote no."

"Vlad," Lydia called out. "What's your vote?"

"I'm just a pilot in this," Vlad said. "I will go with the majority of the group. I will sustain."

"It's up to you, ma'am," Simona said.

Lydia's hand covered her mouth like she was trying to hide something. Once her hand went down and issued the order. "Vlad, plot a course to intercept." Lydia took out her data pad and entered some numbers. "I'm sending you the coordinates"

"Understand," Vlad replied.

"Meeting adjourn," Lydia said. Everybody went to their post, except for Lydia and Faith. They were still sitting around the table. Faith was rapidly tapping her nails on the table.

"You can't be serious," Faith said.

"Thank you for not expressing your concerns in front of the others," Lydia replied. "It is a tough call."

"I don't see it that way. Amiulus can't be trusted."

"He has his reasons."

"They are not clear to me or you if you were honest with yourself. He is a lying two face bastard!" Faith yelled. "He doesn't deserve your loyalty. What has he done for you?"

"He gave me you," Lydia answered.

Faith took hold of Lydia's hand. "You will always have me."

Lydia softly kissed Faith on the lips. "Not if I don't do what he wants."

"I'm just a project to you," Faith said, "as far as he is concerned."

Lydia chuckled. "He isn't that stupid."

"We can handle Amiulus and that fat-ass Captain Jackson, if it comes down to it."

"Let's focus on the now, this mission. Do I have your support?"

Faith ran her fingers lightly through Lydia's hair. "I don't like your decision, but I will support you. I will always have your back."

"I don't deserve your loyalty."

"No, you earned it."

The Enigma exited the jumpstream just outside of drilli's space. They hadn't been detected. Vlad flew the ship flawlessly. Lydia hated to admit, but Vlad was a pretty good pilot. The stealth system was fully operational. Simona had weapons armed and ready. They just had to wait for their victims. Lydia leaned back in the captain's chair. Her fingers interlocked under her chin. Her eyes focused on the Jumbo. There were no signs of the ship. Maybe Amuilius made a mistake, not likely Lydia thought to herself. The envoy was running late. Drilli were never in a rush to discuss peace. The ship sensors went off.

"There is an incoming ship, ma'am," Simona informed.

"Put is on the Jumbo and magnified by hundred," Lydia said.

"It matches that description in the reports. That is the envoy, ma'am."

Faith looked at the Jumbo. "That is not a drilli's ship."

Lydia stood up from the chair. "It's Nessian," Lydia confirmed. "This changes things."

"Ma'am, with all due respect," Simona said. "We have a duty to destroy the ship. This is the ship."

"I know my orders, Simona," Lydia said. "The nessians are innocent in this. They will not be victims by my hand." Lydia paused to think. "What is Amuilius thinking? I can't play his games anymore. We are calling it off. I need real answers from him."

Simona's jaw tightened. "We can't cross Amuilius, ma'am. We can't cross SINDRI."

"I will take full responsibility," Lydia said, "You don't have to worry about blowback from SINDRI."

"You're doing the right thing," Faith said as she reached for Lydia's hand.

"I hope so." Lydia tightened her grip on Faith's hand. "Vlad, plot a course to Association space and link to the INH. I should inform him."

"Amuilus is going to be pissed," Simona added.

"No shit," Lydia commented.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fallen World By John T

Science Fiction

19 0 4
On the precipice of disaster, you rise or you fall. The year, 2097. Humanity discovered that we are not alone in the universe. Our home was invaded...
193K 7.7K 19
I was only 6 when my escape pod separated me from my family. And before I knew it I was crash landing in Hells Planet aka Earth. That's what the huma...
6.7K 123 15
*COMPLETE* He touched his forehead to mine and said to me, "I'll come back for you. Don't you forget that." He said and with that he left. You are a...
513K 13.4K 46
I'm Kleyton Cartson, 20 years old, known as the genius, gorgeous, billionaire, and playboy philanthropist. I'm the only son of Jack Cartson, the most...