The Wielder and the Source

By IntoTheTempest

[Magika Book II] Aldeheid knows better than anyone that a man could not run from his past transgressions. So... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31 (Part 2)
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Yes, there will be a third book.
Foreword

Chapter 34

681 97 15
By IntoTheTempest

Kon, 1,000 years ago...

Kitaya sat on the garden perch and watched the dawning sun light the eastern plains. Chaga lay stretched out behind her, getting much deserved rest after flying so hard. Gone was her heavy armour, the jewel-laden braids. She locked the whole ensemble away in a case at the back of her garderobe. She wasn't Zalika the fearsome warrior queen anymore. Now she was just Kitaya, third charge of the royal house, black sheep, disgrace, failure.

The chanting had long faded. The crowds gone back to their normal routines. And silence reigned in the nation of Kon. No doubt the whole castle was having a laugh at her expense, Ravinians included.

She'd wanted to prove to everyone she wasn't simply a brat who threw a fit when things didn't go her way. That she was capable of investing herself in something meaningful. But of course, like everything she put her hand to, it backfired in the worst way possible.

Kitaya frowned as footfalls sounded behind her. She wasn't ready to talk to anyone yet. She purposefully locked herself in her room since the incident, so she wouldn't have to face her family. Perhaps coming out here this early was a mistake.

"May I join you?" Kemah's voice came from behind her.

She didn't answer. They hadn't spoken since their falling out in the infirmary. That felt like lifetimes ago even though only a few weeks had passed. He'd seemed content to give her space, and she was more than happy to keep her distance.

His footfalls continued up the perch, and he settled down beside her, eyes on the brightening horizon. "Everyone is raving about your flying yesterday. You were in fine form." He reached behind him to scratch Chaga's head. "You too, Chaga."

Kitaya shrugged a shoulder. It's not as though any of it mattered, or would matter in the long run.

"You did a good thing, bringing all those people together. I was worried for a moment that you were stepping onto a darker path. I didn't enjoy seeing that side of you – the side that reveled in discord. But you proved yourself and upheld the nobility of our house, and for that, you should be proud. I'm sorry thing didn't go your way, but you should know by now that Eriani is just as stubborn as you are."

Kitaya almost laughed. "This isn't only about things not going my way. I feel as though I'm the only person around here who believes in me." She'd known it all along, but finally saying it out loud, finally admitting it to herself, stung.

"You know that's not true."

"Then why does it feel that way? Why does it feel like I'm wandering a dark, empty path all on my own? Every time I think I've found my way, it just turns out to be a lie. Everything is a lie. There's no point in wandering anymore, and I've accepted the fact that I may remain lost forever."

Kemah tried to place a hand on her shoulder, but she shrunk away, not missing the flicker of hurt that passed through his eyes. "Listen Kitaya, I'm proud of you. I'm proud of what you accomplished yesterday."

More patronizing words. She'd had her fill of those. All they did was bitter her tongue and sour her stomach. "Is that all you wanted to talk about? I'm tired."

He stayed silent for a moment before saying: "No, Eriani wants to see you. She should still be up in our quarters."

Kitaya nodded and pushed to her feet before mounting the perch's steps. She was halfway down when Kemah called out to her, stopping her in her tracks.

"Aderro took responsibility for everything that happened with the rioters. But that doesn't mean the rest of them won't be punished. Not only did they attempt to assassinate Raylen, but they attacked you as well."

She shrugged and kept walking, past the fronds and flowers to the terrace and into the castle. The servants were beginning their morning rounds, preparing the castle for the many guests and spectators whom would flood it by midday.

Kitaya ignored their small bows of acknowledgement as they walked by and hurried to the north wing where Eriani and Kemah's quarters were located.

The Shujaa guards standing watch outside the door paid her no mind as she barged in. She bypassed small sitting area with its black furniture and gold accents. Beyond it was an archway partitioned off by curtains.

Kitaya brushed them aside and stepped into the bedroom. Eriani sat in front of her vanity, rubbing oils into her skin. No servants ever lingered here. The Queen didn't like being crowded and chose to go through her dressing routines on her own.

"It's me," Kitaya said, not moving from the archway. "Kemah said you needed to talk."

The Queen met her eyes in the vanity's mirror. "Did you see the medics?"

"They came to my room last night. I'm fine. So is Chaga." She leaned against the archway and folded her arms.

"Good." Eriani removed the silk scarf from her head. Setting her braids free to cascade down her back. "Do you know why I sought to form an alliance with the Ravinians?" When Kitaya didn't answer, she continued. "They have ambervite in abundance."

Ambervite? That's what this was about? Some expensive ore? "We have heaps of it stowed away in the Andedarian vaults already. Why do we need more?"

"It's not about us having it or needing it, Kitaya." The Queen rose from the vanity to face her. "It's about our enemies not having it. I don't care much for the Ravinians myself, but I will take any and all opportunities to make the enemies of Kon suffer."

And Kemah had said she was the one reveling in discord. "Is that all you wanted?"

"No. Once the Ravinians leave, we should expect a shipment of ambervite in a month's time. I want it to go to the vault in Abydon. I plan to contact Barish today, and I want you to help Mellidius with delivering it there."

"Why?"

The Queen waved her hand around as she spoke. "You wanted something to do. This is something to do."

The words hit Kitaya like a slap. Here she was worried about her future, and the Queen had boiled down all her fears to something as fickle as wanting "something to do." She stomped down the anger rising in her blood before it boiled over, not wanting to waste her strength with more petty arguments.

"I'll consider it."

"Good." The queen plucked her crown from its velvety pillow and laid it atop her immaculately styled braids. "I hope to see you at the hearings later today. You were wronged. You should be there."

Kitaya grimaced. To sit and watch all those people be sentenced to whatever heinous punishment the Queen deemed fit... Not something she was keen on doing. She bid Eriani farewell and hurried from the room before she imploded.

The walk back to the main foyer felt longer and more arduous than usual. Her legs wobbled and her feet were unsure. Several times she glanced up and down the hall to reorient herself. She was so lost in her own head that she almost didn't hear when someone called out to her.

Kitaya turned to see Rehema striding towards her. "What...? What are you doing here?"

"Good morning, my lady. I came to give a statement to the Council on what happened yesterday." She frowned at Kitaya. "You seem a little tired. Perhaps you should get some rest."

Kitaya rubbed her eyes. Indeed, shewas tired. Tired of it all. "I'm sorry for abandoning everyone yesterday. I..." Her words trailed off. There were no excuses she could give.

"Had I flown the way you did yesterday, I would've done the same. One's mind can only tolerate so many brushings with death." She topped of her words with a smile that Kitaya couldn't find the heart to return.

"Well, I apologize all the same. I just thought..." she shook her head. "I thought I could do something great."

"If I could give a bit of advice my lady?" On Kitaya's nod, she continued. "There is more beyond the walls of our great nation. Perhaps whatever purpose or path you seek is out there. Not here." With that, Rehema gave her shoulder a squeeze and sashayed out of the foyer.

Kitaya watched the exit for a long time after the woman left, the wise words still lingering. More outside of Kon... The only places she'd visited out of Kon wereAbydon and Andedaria. And while she loved those nations and the friends and family therein, she wasn't sure if she'd find any purpose there.

Kitaya made the long trip up to her room, and threw herself onto her bed, but while her body was weary, sleep refused to take her. She rolled onto her back and stared up at the sheer canopy meant to keep the insects at bay while she slept. And stared and stared some more.

Dust particles danced in the tiny rays of light shining through her window and she watched the erratic flight paths while thinking of the complex maneuvers that had saved her skin yesterday.

She wasn't sure how much time had passed, but when she looked out the window, the shadows were pooling beneath the trees and buildings, and the sun's heat made the air waver. Yet Rehema's words still hadn't escaped her mind.

More beyond this nation, these walls. What if her path was out there? It wasn't something she had taken into consideration. Kon had always been her home, her sanctuary, the place she wanted to etch her legacy into. But what if rooting herself so firmly in this place was the reason she was so lost? What if... her mind repeated the words.

Only one way to find out. Kitaya rose from her crumpled bedding and crossed to the garderobe. Behind the abundance of dresses and trunks of shoes, she found a bag woven from thick hide. It stunk with the musk of neglect, and as she shook it out, a cloud of dust engulfed her.

She tossed on the bed and pulled down two sets of enchanted gear and dug up a dagger and a map from one of her trunks. All she needed were a flask, and maybe some rations for the road – items she could procure from the storehouse beneath the kitchen.

All was quiet when Kitaya left her room. The hearings would begin soon, which meant everyone would be gathered in the Council room in the south wing of the castle. She stayed clear of the area, navigating her way down to the storehouse.

The room was cold enough to make her breath fog. Butchered animals hung from hooks and various goods, fresh and preserved lined the room's many shelves. Kitaya found two flasks one of which could tolerate heat. She packed those away along with dried meat, a few tea leaves and preserved fruits. Hopefully, it would be enough to keep her fed until she got to wherever she was going.

Kitaya went back up to the main castle and took the east exit out to the gardens. Her eyes went to the pit where she'd trained many days with Kemah, to the terrace where they'd rest and talk over cool beverages, to the walkways where she'd pace and ponder and vent her frustrations to the flowers and shrubs.

She climbed up the perch to Chaga and gave him a scratch under the chin. "Ready for one more flight, boy?"

He rose and stretched lips peeling back over his teeth and tongue curling. The best thing about Chaga was that he was always ready to fly.

Kitaya swung up onto his back and threaded her hands in his mane, before securing her bag tighter around her body. She didn't look back at the castle as they took off. Chaga shot into the sky and banked south, flying at an easy glide. The farmlands drifted by below, workers in bright clothing clearing away charred wheat.

She moved her eyes to the horizon ahead as they crossed over the south gate. Chaga flapped his wings to gain altitude and avoid the tops of the colossal trees.

Kitaya reveled in the wind rushing in her ears, the softness of Chaga's mane and his muscle rippling beneath her as he flapped his wings. She didn't know how long it would be before she would fly again. Perhaps by the time she returned someone would've dethroned her as Kon's best flyer.

If she returned.

Kitaya took Chaga down and they landed at the Lyberra statue that marked the south border. She slid from his back into the tall grass. Kon was but a silhouette in the sun from where she stood. Her home. Her Nation.

She wouldn't say goodbye. That word was far too bitter and held connotations and implications she wasn't ready to face. Instead, she saluted her nation with one fist held high in the air – her promise to return a better person than she was now.

"You'll be good whole I'm gone, won't you?" Kitaya asked Chaga, scratching under his chin. He gave a rumbling purr in response. "Alright, head on back now."

As the Lyberra bounded off, Kitaya turned south. She didn't know where she was going or what she would do once she got there. But she knew she needed to put one foot in front of the other. And just go.

[A/N] This is the last flashback chapter. Would you all prefer to see a chapter from Kitaya or Aldeheid next update? I can do either or.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

294K 17.9K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
3.1K 679 50
Asad Suhail is a young guy who is poetic, cold , void and always harsh to others. Life was harsh to him so why shouldn't he be harsh to others?. Grow...
167 72 13
{{ THIS BOOK IS THE FIFTH AND FINAL INSTALLMENT IN THE TITULAR SERIES. PLEASE READ THE FIRST FOUR BOOKS FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING. LOVE Y'ALL ♥}} In t...
46.6K 7.7K 21
Before he ever met Siena, before he knew Foresthome even existed, Remi was an Aberration living under the iron-fisted rules of his tribe. Learn how a...