Breathless ✓

By Selenaedward22

Victoria Forbes, a young aspiring doctor, trudges through yet another ordinary day-a recurring pattern in her... More

Description ✔
Prologue ✔
One ✔
Two ✔
Three ✔
Four ✔
Five ✔
Six ✔
Seven ✔
Eight ✔
Nine ✔
Ten ✔
Eleven ✔
Twelve ✔
Thirteen ✔
Fourteen ✔
Fifteen ✔
Sixteen ✔
Seventeen ✔
Eighteen ✔
Twenty ✔
Twenty-One ✔
Twenty-Two ✔
Christian's pov ✔
Twenty-Three ✔
Twenty - Four ✔
Twenty-Five ✔
Twenty - Six ✔
Twenty - Seven ✔
Twenty - Eight ✔
Twenty - Nine ✔
Thirty ✔
Thirty - One ✔
Thirty - Two ✔
Thirty - Three ✔
Thirty - Four ✔
Thirty - Five ✔
Thirty - Six ✔
Thirty - Seven ✔
Thirty - Eight ✔
Thirty - Nine ✔
Forty ✔
Forty - One ✔
Forty - Two ✔
Forty - Three ✔
Forty - Four ✔
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
EPILOGUE
BONUS CHAPTER #1
BONUS CHAPTER #2
BONUS CHAPTER #3
BONUS CHAPTER #4
Actually rewriting BREATHLESS

Ninteen ✔

6.4K 249 14
By Selenaedward22

The door creaks softly as I push it open, revealing a spacious yet cluttered apartment. My eyes widen as I take in the scene before me—weapons of various shapes and sizes neatly arranged on a table, Italian men engaged in hushed conversations, and an atmosphere thick with tension. The air practically crackles with an energy that feels both dangerous and foreign.

I step cautiously into the room, my gaze darting from one unfamiliar face to another. The men exchange nods and glances in my direction, their conversations momentarily pausing as they acknowledge my presence. The language they speak is rapid, a symphony of vowels and consonants that I struggle to comprehend.

My breath catches as I notice a sleek black firearm lying casually on the table, its presence sending a shiver down my spine. The realization that I'm in the midst of something far beyond my understanding settles in, and a wave of unease washes over me.

Trying to blend into the background, I edge along the periphery of the room, my eyes flickering nervously. The weight of the unknown hangs heavy, and every step feels like a delicate dance on unfamiliar ground. I can't help but wonder how Christian is entangled in this world, a world of secrets, danger, and calculated moves.

Just as the anxiety threatens to overwhelm me, a familiar hand gently rests on my shoulder, offering both reassurance and anchoring me in the chaos. I turn to find Christian by my side, his eyes a mixture of apology and understanding.

"Sorry for the overwhelming introduction," he says, his voice a low murmur meant only for my ears.

My gaze flits between his intense eyes and the foreign faces surrounding us. "What is all of this, Christian? I feel like I've stepped into a spy movie."

He manages a faint smile, a hint of regret in his eyes. "It's complicated, Victoria. I never wanted you to get involved in this, but now that you are, I need you to trust me."

His words hang in the air, and I find myself torn between fear and the growing desire for answers. "Trust you? I don't even know what 'this' is, Christian. Who are these people, and why are there weapons everywhere?"

Christian glances around, as if contemplating how much to reveal. "These men are part of my life, a life I tried to leave behind but it was simply impossible for me."

As he speaks, I catch snippets of the Italian conversations around us, realizing that every word, every gesture holds significance. Christian's world is a labyrinth, and I'm an unwitting traveler stumbling through its intricate paths.

He guides me away from the intense discussions, leading me to a quieter corner of the room. "I need you to stay close to me, Victoria. We're going to find a way out of this mess, together."

As Christian and I move through the room, the hum of Italian conversations follows us like a shadow. I catch fragments of their discussions, the cadence of the unfamiliar language dancing in the air. Suddenly, the tone shifts, and hushed murmurs give way to a more serious exchange.

"È stata attaccata perché lei è vicina a Christian. Vogliono usarla contro di lui."

My heart quickens as I recognize my name and Christian's in the same sentence. The urgency in their voices conveys a threat, and it's evident that my presence here has escalated the danger.

"Christian, they're talking about the attack. They knew about us, about our connection," I murmur, my eyes widening in realization.

He exhales sharply, his jaw clenching. "Victoria, I never wanted you to get dragged into this. It's my past haunting me, and now they're using you as leverage."

The weight of the revelation settles heavily on my shoulders. The room's atmosphere becomes charged with tension, and the Italian men exchange guarded glances, likely surprised by my understanding of their language. In that moment, I decide to seize the opportunity.

"Christian, what's happening? Why do they want to use me against you?" I inquire, trying to keep my voice steady despite the rising anxiety.

Before he can reply the hushed conversations around us take an abrupt turn as the men shift their attention towards Christian and me. The tone becomes more guarded, the exchanges in Italian growing more deliberate. I feel the weight of their scrutiny, their eyes assessing me with a newfound curiosity.

I catch fragments of their conversation, snippets of words that hint at danger, alliances, and a sense of urgency. Their gazes flicker between Christian and me, and I become acutely aware that I'm not merely an observer; I'm a piece on the chessboard, moved with purpose in this clandestine game.

As Christian listens to their discussions, his expression tightens, a silent acknowledgment of the risks involved. I can almost feel the gravity of the situation, the unspoken threats that lurk in the shadows of this secret world.

Curiosity and a sheer will to understand propel me forward. My years of living with my adoptive dad I've learnt the language quite much, and though my grasp of Italian is far from perfect, I can decipher enough to follow the thread of their conversation.

The revelation catches the men off guard. A subtle murmur ripples through the room as they exchange surprised glances. Their eyes meet mine, and for a moment, I glimpse a mixture of wariness and intrigue.

Christian, too, turns to me, a question in his eyes. I respond with a determined nod, silently conveying that I understand more than they might have anticipated. It's a small victory in the grand scheme of things, but it grants me a semblance of agency in this unfamiliar territory.

....

The room seems to constrict around us as the weight of the impending danger settles on everyone's shoulders. Christian nods, a silent acknowledgment of my commitment. His eyes, a mix of gratitude and concern, hold mine for a moment longer before he turns back to the group.

Rico steps forward, his gaze meeting mine with a new level of respect. "You're tougher than you look, Doc. Welcome to the world of Christian's messes."

I manage a faint smile, appreciating the attempt to lighten the mood in the midst of uncertainty. The other men, though still guarded, seem to soften slightly, recognizing that I'm not just an unwitting bystander.

Christian takes the lead, guiding me away from the cluster of conversations. We enter what appears to be a makeshift office, where maps and documents are spread across a table. The atmosphere is charged with tension, but Christian's presence provides a reassuring anchor.

Christian's embrace envelops me, a mixture of reassurance and silent apology. His touch, though comforting, carries an underlying tension. As if there's a part of him he's reluctant to share, even in this moment.

He searches my eyes, an unreadable emotion flickering in his gaze. "I'll get you out of this, Ria. I promise."

Before I can respond, the door creaks open, and Rico steps in. The surprise on his face is evident as he takes in the proximity between Christian and me.

"Am I interrupting something?" Rico grins, a teasing glint in his eyes.

Christian releases me, a protective instinct settling over him. "What do you want, Rico?"

Rico raises his hands in mock surrender, still grinning. "Easy, big brother. I just came to check on our newest recruit."

I shoot Christian a questioning glance, but he remains guarded. Rico, however, seems to sense the unspoken tension in the room.

"Okay, spill it, Chris. What's really going on here?" Rico's playful demeanor fades, replaced by a more serious expression.

Christian's jaw tightens, and he glances at me before responding to Rico. "Not now, Rico. We have bigger things to deal with."

Rico shoots me a sympathetic look, acknowledging that there's more to this situation than meets the eye. Christian's protectiveness doesn't go unnoticed, and I can sense the complexities of their unspoken history.

The room holds a palpable weight, a collective understanding that we're standing at the precipice of something far-reaching. As Christian and Rico exchange guarded glances, I steel myself for the challenges ahead, knowing that the secrets they carry may unravel in ways none of us can predict.

...

A little insight from another perspective:

The weight of the day's events pressed on Victoria, and as the darkness settled, silent tears traced the contours of her cheeks. The room was shrouded in shadows, and her sobs echoed in the stillness. The turmoil, the danger, and the uncertainty—all of it threatened to engulf her.

"Christian," she whispered, her voice breaking the oppressive quiet of the room. In moments of vulnerability, his name became a lifeline, a plea for solace in the midst of chaos.

Christian's silhouette pauses at the doorway, concern etched in the outline of his features. The dim light from the hallway casts a soft glow on his face as he enters, silently crossing the room to where Victoria sits on the edge of her bed, shoulders trembling with the weight of her emotions.

"Victoria," he says softly, his voice a soothing balm. He reaches out, gently placing a hand on her trembling shoulder. She looks up, her eyes red-rimmed and vulnerable, and in that moment, she finds solace in the warmth of his presence.

"Christian, I..." she begins, her voice choked with emotion, but before she can continue, he wordlessly scoops her up into his arms. Cradling her against his chest, he moves to the chair by the window, where he sits down and settles her on his lap.

The room is wrapped in a cocoon of quiet understanding as he starts to gently rock her, his touch a comforting anchor in the storm of her emotions. The outside world fades away, and in the hushed intimacy of the moment, Christian murmurs soothing words that are both tender and reassuring.

As Victoria's tears slowly subside, she leans into the comforting embrace, her head resting against Christian's chest. His fingers trace gentle circles on her back, a silent promise that he's there for her, that she's not alone in facing the challenges that have overwhelmed her.

Unbeknownst to them, Rico lingers in the hallway, a silent observer to this scene of vulnerability and connection. His eyes narrow, and a realization dawns upon him—a realization that goes beyond mere friendship. He watches Christian with a mix of concern and understanding, recognizing the depth of emotion in his friend's actions.

The room falls into a hushed lullaby, Christian's rhythmic movements and comforting whispers gradually coaxing Victoria into a state of calm. As her breathing steadies and the tension in her body eases, she drifts into a peaceful slumber in the safety of Christian's embrace.

Rico, left alone in the hallway, grapples with the revelation unfolding before him. He understands that Christian, in his own way, is unknowingly falling for the woman he holds so tenderly in his arms.

Rico leaned against the hallway wall, his mind retracing the steps of the evening. He couldn't shake the feeling that this scenario, with Christian holding Victoria so intimately, mirrored a sense of connection he had witnessed before. His thoughts drifted to moments when Christian, his best friend and the Italian mafia leader, seemed to share a similar vulnerability with someone.

In the dim light of memory, Rico tried to recall instances when Christian had let down his guard, moments that hinted at a connection beyond the typical transactions of their dangerous world. However, as he mentally sifted through their shared history, he found himself coming up empty. There were no concrete memories, no tangible proof of Christian ever opening up in such a way.

A furrow formed on Rico's brow as he considered the possibility that his perception might be clouded by the complexities of their secretive lives. But deep down, he knew the truth – Christian had never shown this level of vulnerability to anyone before.

The realization hit Rico with a weight he hadn't anticipated. It wasn't just about Victoria; it was about Christian himself. The man who had always been an enigma, an impenetrable fortress of strength and stoicism, now appeared to be unraveling in the presence of a woman. It was a revelation that stirred a mixture of concern, confusion, and a tinge of jealousy in Rico's heart.

As he stood there in the hallway, Rico grappled with the uncharted territory of emotions. He pondered the implications of Christian unknowingly falling for Victoria, a woman entwined in the complexities of their dangerous world. The thin line between duty and personal emotions blurred in that moment, and Rico couldn't help but wonder how this newfound connection might alter the course of their lives, especially in the unforgiving realm they navigated.

With a heavy sigh, Rico resigned himself to the uncertainties of the future. The echoes of Christian's comforting whispers continued to resonate from the room, a haunting reminder of the vulnerability hidden beneath the facade of strength.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

923 318 38
Book 2 in the Annoyance Series. "I don't really know anything about love, all I know is that this started in the weirdest way and I didn't see it co...
6.5K 823 16
[ boyxboy ] When a nameless boy finds himself torn between the comfort of his childhood and adult temptation he captures the attention of an eccentri...
37.5K 2.1K 50
Shiloh Hanson's life has been all about surviving. He has had to focus on school while dealing with the added pressures of working to be able to prov...
13.5K 515 22
Two years ago two boys met and formed a quick, but complicated bond only to be separated soon after. ------- Two years later will their feelings to...