My Covert Bodyguard

By alipearl

Having your parents own the largest bank in the world. Living in a mansion that could just about be called a... More

01: Rich People Party
02: The New Kid Is A Badass
03: A Meeting Early In The Morning
04: Romance, By Rebecca
05: Pool Party
06: The Hangover
07: La Bella Luna
08: First and Last Date
09: The Aftermath
10: Bodyguard
11: Nosey (Un)Friends
12: Stuntman
13: Birthday
14: Madame Kristine's Etiquette Class
15: The Waltz of The Flowers
17: Abduction
18: The Legion
19: The Office
20: Aftershock
21: The Rhodes's Family Party
22: The Plan of The Legion
23: Tour The Office
24: Little Kyle
25: Nightmare
26: Ballroom Dance
27: The Mission
28: Secrets
29: Enemies to Allies
30: Public Message
31: Family Matters
32: Accident
33: That Awkward Moment
34: Skating Adventures
35: The Encounter
36: The Decision
37: Ollie
38: Aloha, Idiot
39: Meeting the Fam
40: Team A-6
41: Gold in the Water
42: 16 and Unskilled
43: Wild Light
44: Sloane
45: Use the Force, Cass
46: The Princess and Her Knight
47: Time
48: General's Office
49: Women's Restroom
50: Scarlett Ribbon
51: SCUBA
52: Random Checks
53: Forbidden Island
54: Spilling Scarlett
55: Spreading Scarlett
56: Wreaking Scarlett
57: Kiss of Death
58: Last Jump
59: Welcome to the Scarlett Legion
60: Epilogue

16: Halloween

663 27 2
By alipearl

I stared at the black poster in front of me.

Lockwood Academy's Halloween Dance Party 2014

October 22nd, in the auditorium

$15 per ticket and extra for food and drinks

WEAR YOUR COSTUMES!!

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around, grinning.  

"I was just looking for you!" I said to Kyle, and he raised a brow.

"Okay?" He said, walking with me to our class.

"Do you want to go to the Halloween Dance with me?"

He smirked, "hey, I know I'm good looking and all, but I don't know if we should be taking our relationship that way."

I laughed at his egotistical joke and swatted his arm.  "As friends, you dumbo."

Then Kyle's smirk faded, "wait you're serious about going?"

"Of course I am."  

"I thought you hated dances."

"I do, but I kind of felt like going this year.  I heard it was great last year."  I didn't exactly understand why I wanted to go this year, but Kyle came with me, I felt like it could be a lot of fun.

Kyle looked shocked. "How many god damn dances do they have at this school?"

I shrugged, "About once or twice a quarter."

Kyle muttered obscenities about the school under his breath, and I rolled my eyes.

"Well anyway, I'm going whether you aren't, but I just thought you'd have to follow me around anyway."

Kyle glared at me, and I stuck my tongue out at him.  Finally, Kyle gave in and cracked a smile.  

"Fine, I'll go."  

"Thank you." I said, grinning at him.

"I am seriously the kindest person ever."

"Right." I answered, and we entered the crowded classroom.

* * * * *

 I made my way through the dark room with various costumes hung everywhere.  Scary ghosts and plastic dead bodies hung from the ceiling as a creepy song echoed from somewhere in the room.  Suddenly, a random witch popped up from in front of me, and I let out a loud yelp.

Kyle burst out laughing from behind me, and I glared at him.  "What did you do?" Kyle pointed to his feet, and he was stepping on a button that said step here.  The witch that popped out fell back down, and I huffed.

"That was so not cool." I muttered, and we continued our way through the creepy store.  I went to the teens section and looked through all the way-too-girly costumes with mini skirts and neon colors.  I wanted to wear something scary, but I wouldn't find one in this section.

"Hey," Kyle said, "what about this one?" I looked up to see where he was pointing, and my eyes landed on a playboy bunny costume.  I gave him a frustrated glower, and he laughed.

"I think you'd look good in it." He joked, and I moved to punch him in the stomach.  But Kyle moved too quickly, his strong arms were grabbing my fists before I was even halfway there to his stomach.

"You really think you could land a blow on me?" He smirked, and I loosened myself from him.

"Not really." I said, trying to protect my dignity.  Sometimes he acted like such a normal teen, like a friend, that I forgot he was actually a trained...spy.  I found my way through the Halloween costume shop, and the creepy music and errie lightning followed.  Kyle was walking ahead of me, and I grinned at the perfect oppurtunity.

I stepped on one of the dead bodies that would fall down from the ceiling, and the plastic body fell in front of Kyle as a loud scream followed.

Kyle didn't even react as he turned to me.  "Really?  That was probably one of the most predictable things you've done so far."

I pouted.  He was too observant and sharp for his own good.  

Finally after walking around another ten minutes, I grabbed a few random costumes and decided to try them on.  They all looked terrible, with skirts too short for me to be comfortable, or too tight or too bright-colored.

"Let me see it!" Kyle called from outside the dressing rooms, when I had put on an especially girly witch costume.

"Never!" I called back, and I could practically hear him rolling his eyes.

"Come on, it can't be that bad." He said.

"It's really bad."

But then Kyle yanked open the curtain which was separating me and him, and I let out a squeak.

"Hey!  I could have been naked!"

Kyle ignored my comment, and he was actually checking me out.  His eyes took in my chest, then my waist, and then finally down my rarely exposed legs.  I would have felt harassed or super uncomfortable if it was someone else, but for some reason, with Kyle, I felt...flattered.  My cheeks warmed and my heart thumped in my chest as he finally said, "you look cute."

"Thanks."  I was glad my voice didn't crack or sound high-pitched.

"But you shouldn't wear that." He added.

"How come?" I asked, worrying slightly if he thought I didn't have the physical appeal to look good in such exposing clothes.

"Because you look prettier in more modest clothes." He said, and stepped out of the dressing room.  Before he closed the curtains, he turned around and said, "by the way, you have great legs."

I had to sit down on one of the chairs in the dressing room before I could change out of my clothes.  My heart was hammering so much in my rib cage, and I willed myself to take a deep breath.  I felt like he knew me well, and that he respected me.  But not only that, he never seemed to care about how girls looked, and the fact that he complimented me made me feel so happy.

This was such a strange feeling.

I changed out of the witch costume and wore the jeans and T-shirt I came in and got out of the dressing room.  I continued looking for a costume and Kyle said some sort of sarcastic or bored remark every five or so minutes.  I finally decided on wearing a grey torn-up dead fairy costume.  it was knee-length and had a lacey fabric on top of the whitish-grey dress, and withered wings on the back.  It was creepy in a sort of beautiful way, and it actually looked quite nice.

"We finally get to leave." Kyle said, after I had made my decision.

"Wait a minute," I said, "you haven't gotten a costume."

"I don't need one."

"Of course you do, you're going to the party."

Kyle groaned and snatched the first cotume he found.  "Let's go."

"You have to try it on!" Kyle rolled his eyes, and he checked the size.

"It'll fit.  Now let's go."

I shook my head, but we quickly paid for the costumes and got out of the store.  A few girls in the store turned around to check out Kyle, and again I thought that he really was hot. I glanced up at him, and our eyes met, and he seemed indifferent.

"Excited for the party?" He asked.

"Definitely."  

* * * * *

I finished my black eye shadow, thick eye liner, and mascara, as I tossed my straightened hair off of my shoulder.  I was applying my dark red lipstick just as Kyle entered my room.

I turned to look at him, as he rested on my door, and momentarily forgot how to breathe.  The costume he had picked out in literally less than a second, was of a hunter, with black pants, and a dark green hood that sort of reminded me of Assassin's Creed.  He had on black boots (which looked quite comfortable might I add) and by the way he assembled his clothing it was pretty obvious he didn't take much time to wear it.

But my god, was he sexy.

There was a large bow and arrow strapped to his back, and a gun slipped into his belt.  They both looked and heavy and—

"Is that real?" I asked, tapping the gun with my black-colored nails.

"The ones that came with it were flimsy and fake.  Besides, great chamouflage."  Kyle winked at me, and I found myself gaping at him again.  He wasn't showing much skin other than his arms, but his toned body was evident under his clothes, and the way he seemed so casual about his costume made him look like an actual hunter.

I got into Kyle's car and he drove to the school.

The music could be heard from a mile away.  The school had gone all out with the decorations, from cobwebs and tombstones to lamps hung from trees and lit jack-o-lanterns scattered everywhere.

I didn't know how they had done it, but it created a beautiful, exciting atmosphere.

I stepped out of Kyle's car, the cool mid-October wind sweeping past me, and I immediately pulled my cardigan closer to me.  I looked to Kyle, who didn't look cold at all, and we walked towards the booming music.  I couldn't actually believe that I, the school weirdo, was going to a school dance with a super hot guy who is actually my bodyguard but is also my friend.  I felt like I suddenly slipped into a ridiculous movie of some sort.

Once we entered the auditorium, I was extremely surprised at how everything was set up.  There was a massive chandelier hanging up on the wall, with cobwebs hanging on it, and it cast an eerie orange glow on everything.  Ghosts and black veils that looked like dementors from Harry Potter was hung everywhere, and a DJ was on the stage playing club music, looking like he was having the time of his life.  There was a long table on one side of the room with strange drinks labled as "Love Potion" and "Alihotsy Draught" and "Polyjuice Potion" were set up.  The people who set up this dance must have been a serious Harry Potter fan.  Though our school did sort of look like Hogwarts, with old red brick buildings and spiral staircases and stainglass windows. 

I went over to the counter and got two Love Potions after I gave them my Student I.D. so they could charge me on it, I handed one of the drinks to Kyle.

"Trying to make me fall in love with you?" Kyle joked, and I laughed.

"I genuinely wasn't thinking about that.  I grabbed that because the rest looked disgusting." 

Kyle glanced at the other potions, the Alihotsy Draught being a blue, opaque color, and the Polyjuice Potion being a sickly greenish-black color.  Kyle turned back to me and said, "touché."

We both moved out of the way so that we wouldn't be shoved away, and I found Wendy and her gang huddled up, dancing a little awkwardly, and they waved to me.  I didn't really have a choice but to go over to them.

"Hey Cass!" Wendy, who was wearing a simple black-and-green witch costume squealed to me.

"Hi." I said, and looked at all four girls. Shannon was wearing some sort of candy cane costume, and her previously green-dyed strip of hair was dyed pink.  The baby pink and white looked cute against her brown skin, and it actually really suited her.  The girl with the silver hair, Lily, was wearing a light blue, shimmery gown, and I didn't really know if it was an actual costume, but she looked pretty.

Finally I saw Nova, and she was wearing a cheerleader costume, with her blonde hair in high pigtails and pom poms wrapped around her wrists.  The skirt barely frilled nervously close to her privates, and I hoped for her sake she was wearing shorts under it.  

"You guys all look beautiful," I complimented, because over the years, I have found out that the easiest way to get people on your good side was to simply flatter them.

"Thanks hun, you look beautiful as well." Shannon said.  

"A little spooky, but in a nice way." Lily added, and I laughed a little.

"Thank you." 

I turned to Nova to see what she was doing, but her attention was nowhere near me.  Her eyes were glued to Kyle, who obviously knew she was looking at him but didn't pay him any attention.

"Hey, you're the new guy right?" Nova said to Kyle, her voice dropping an octave in a seductive way.

"No, I'm not." Kyle answered, and Nova seemed confused for a second, but then giggled, understanding he was only joking.

"Oh, you're funny." She said, and I had an immediate urge to barf all over her skimpy blue costume.

"Really? You thought that was funny?" Kyle said, and he looked like he was enjoying himself.  He didn't seem to be affected by her flirting, but he obviously wasn't disliking it either.  Suddenly my heart clenched and I wanted to stand between them to stop their idiotic conversation.

"Mhmmm." Nova answered, batting her eyelashes and skirting her eyes across his (unfortunately for her) clothed body.

"Then you should hear me when I'm actually being funny." Kyle answered, and my eyes widened.  Did he actually just say that?

"Oh I bet you're hilarious." She said, and wrapped her slender fingers around his arm.

Before I realized, I put my hand on hers and ripped them off of his arm.  "Oh trust me, Kyle is definitely not funny. He's just trying to impress you."

But this only seemed to fuel Nova's flirting as she smirked devilously, "oh? Are you trying to impress me?"

Kyle smirked back, "And you're not?"

"Can't deny it."

"Yeah, okay, we're gonna head out!" I hollered over them, and grabbed Kyle's arm and dragged him outside before anyone could stop me.  Kyle lazily followed, and once we were by the fountain in the middle of the park, I stopped.  There were a few people milling around, but much less crowded than in the auditorium.

"Oh come on, I was having fun." Kyle whined, though it was half-hearted.

"What the hell was that?"

Kyle didn't answer, and instead said, "why are you so jealous?"

My cheeks flamed up, "I am not jealous!"  

My heart clenched and an anger I couldn't describe billowed up in the pit of my stomach when I thought of Nova and Kyle together.

Yeah, I was definitely jealous.

********

I'm going to end this chapter here because I don't want it to get too long!! 
Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote/comment, I'm squeazing in my time to find time to write!  

YOU ALL ARE BAES ILYSM

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.4K 306 38
heya! so I just want to say that this is just a story I wrote on quotev and decided to put it here as well and that's all! enjoy the book Sincerely,M...
360K 36.2K 120
[Contains Volume 1-3] There are different types of kids. There are kids who play around, kids who bury themselves in books, and then there are kids w...
2K 362 28
Collin lives the good life. He is rich, has everything he needs and his parents will do anything for him, but when you live on the Rich Side, having...
308K 34.4K 183
[Contains Volume 4-6] There are different types of kids. There are kids who play around, kids who bury themselves in books, and then there are kids w...