Dabbling in Danger

By Plumpsugarplum

He straightens his posture, his tone is even, voice calm and his eyes soften. "If," he raises a finger at me... More

Disclaimer
Surprise!
Car Ride
Moved In
Awake in the Afternoon
Ignored
First Day
Pick Up
Her Sister
New Number, Who This?
Lit, Lit
Oh, That's What You Want
In The Kitchen
Shit Luck
Where You Get Those Wings From?
Can I Have You?
Starry Night
Haircut
Boss Man
Chat With Daddy
Happy Birthday!
Young Adult
I Can't Love You
Staying Late At The Office
About Last Night
Puff, Pass, Dash
Chomp Stomp
Dwayne
Don't Stop 'Til You're Caught
Reflection
Disrupted
Chain of Events
Repercussions
Lost
Eyes of The Law
Nothing's Right
Testy
Addicted
Observing
Rainy Night
Bed Then Breakfast
Loose Ends
Don't Leave Me Behind
Caught Up
Pissed
Let's Just Forget
Take Me Home
Woman Troubles
Visitation
Loose Screws
Work It Out
Falling
Dinner With Mother
My Seed
That Extra Step
Lovely Reminder
Only You
Night to Celebrate
Walk On The Beach
Slipping Up
Power Trip
Blood Moon
Heads or Tails
Abide
Bound
Deed is Done
Lights Out
Break Down
Let Me Go
Digging My Own Grave
Phone Home
Played Like A Fiddle
Warped
Last Chance
All Rise
Can't or Won't?
Fact Check
TV Screen
Unexpected Expectations
Finale
Epilouge

Late Night Toke

434 16 0
By Plumpsugarplum

Malina

Two hours earlier

"She tells you all she knows, you grant full immunity."

"Immunity?" Harris cackles, "Hank this isn't a god damn episode of Law & Order, we don't do that shit in real life, not at this station anyway."

"Then she has no reason to say anything if you refuse to work out any sort of deal."

Harris rolls her eyes, "Malina, you tell me what you know and I will somehow lose your arrestment paperwork and you can go home for now. But," she wags a finger at me, "this won't just go away we're going to investigate and we're going to make sure we know exactly what happened. If it comes down to it, we need your full cooperation in court, testifying and all."

I look to Hank for his approval, he gives a small nod and I look back at Harris, "okay," I whisper.

●●●

"You did very good in there, it's best to not let Harris get to you, she feeds off that. Surprised she was oh so generous," he rolls his eyes, "letting you off for the night. I've dealt with her before, she likes to play tough guy and let suspects sit over night hoping they'll crack. A family member always posts the bail before a couple hours are up so her tactic hardly works."

Hank offers to take me to Sasha's so we can talk more about the case and he can talk with Sasha's parents on what's going on.

"I'm sure they've got a warrant by now and are going through the beach house. Soon after, if they find any blood, pills or anything you spoke of, they'll get permission to search cars, his house, his work, everything. So if you think that they'll find something of yours as incriminating, I'm telling you right now, do not step foot back into his house. You still have the ability to say that you haven't been back there since the three of you left for San Denaburg. If you do go back, and this does go to court, you will be deemed an accomplice and they can stretch the accomplice thing to unbelievable lengths, trust me I've watched them do it."

That reminds me, my fucking phone!

"Adeen took my phone! What if he's tried to set me up by sending texts or looking up weird shit online?"

"Well, he doesn't have it right now since being arrested. Eventually they'll look at both of your phone records, but as long as you know which messages, calls, alarms, whatever, as long as you know what you did and did not do I will defend you, just stay honest. Even if you did something that you think makes you look bad, don't deny it just tell me. We all look a lot worse if you lie, you look guilty and I come off as not knowing what the hell I'm talking about."

I nod, he continues.

"The best thing for you to do is stay put at Sasha's, make sure you're with someone at all times when you do leave the house and if Harris, Tipper or any other hand of the law approaches you, you're response must be, I need to call Hank before I can agree or disagree. That should be your only response alright? Don't post shit on social media, don't go calling around spouting off about what happened, hell if you really need to get something off your chest and you don't want to come to me, confide in your bestfriend, she's good with keeping calm as you know."

I nod, "you're right."

Someone could've died at Sasha's feet and she'll maintain herself, her voice may rise but she won't ever run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Not like me.

I shake my head, bringing my fist to my face.

"I can't even think about how much I'm going to owe her parents after all this."

"Well know that I'm doing this pro bono. Diana and Rob are old friends, we grew up together. I could tell you mean a lot to Diana and Sasha, barely understood them over the phone."

I sigh with relief, "thank you Hank," is all I can think to say.

It feels like it's only been a twenty minute car ride, we pull into the driveway and stand at the door, waiting in the dark.

"Lee!" Squeals Sasha as she opens the front door.

She rushes out and embraces me, my eyes water up and I feel the sobs build up in my chest.

"Are your parents here?' Hank asks.

"Mhm," Sasha says into my shoulder, "in the kitchen."

Hank disappears inside and I let the cries shake my frame as I hold onto Sasha to stay upright.

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe. Like I woke up in someone else's nightmare and this is now my reality.

"Come on, let it out," croons my friend.

I don't know how I'm going to get through any of this but I'm glad to have Sasha by my side.

Hand in hand, we step inside and Sasha's mom calls for us. When we get in the kitchen, the lights seem too bright.

"Malina," lilts Sasha's mom. "I'm very sorry about Tiana. I wish we could do more for you."

"You've done more than enough," I wipe the wetness from my face. "Thank you for everything, I'd still be sitting in a cell if it weren't for y'all."

Sasha pulls me into a hug, "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Well know you can stay here for as long as you need to..." Sasha's mom says. "I'm sure you're tired though hun, get yourself situated and if you're hungry I'll put something together for you."

"That's okay, I don't have much of an appetite. I do want to shower though."

"Okay hun, well you know where everything is."

She smiles at me and her husband right next to her standing seven feet tall scowls at me. He never really liked me, I don't know what made me think things would be any different now. He's always thought I was a bad influence on Sasha, lucky for the both of us she's not very impressionable.

I make my way upstairs, grab a towel, Sasha gives me a shirt and pair of shorts and I close myself off in the steamy, humid bathroom.

My tears wash away with the hot water. I stare at the small white tiles that make up the walls. I can't stop myself from thinking about what could happen, what did happen. My stomach hasn't unknotted all day and I can't shake the feeling of wanting to throw up.

When I'm out of the shower, standing in Sasha's room at her closet, she walks in.

"Doing okay?" Sasha asks.

I shrug, "I guess."

"You can lay with me if you want, I don't want you to feel alone through all this."

I wipe at my cheek, "thank you," my voice is hoarse.

I don't think either of us could fall asleep though. When three-thirty comes around, the both of us taking turns squirming around throughout the night, I finally sigh and whisper her name.

"Yeah?" She answers, turning to face me.

"I'm scared."

I can tell she doesn't know what to say. Who would? Don't be scared, you're only facing a murder charge. Or.  It's alright I know how you feel. That'd be a whole lie and a half.

"Do you want to go on a ride?" She suggests after a bit of silence. "Better than lying here thinking."

"Got some bud?" I ask.

"Yes ma'am."

I may actually get some sleep.

Driving down the quiet roads, I'm sure most are asleep right now. Soaking up the last few hours before they have to clock in.

Sasha passes me the joint, I bring it to my lips and inhale deeply. The end of it glows orange, I close my eyes as the smoke wavers toward my face.

I pass it back to her and we stop at a red light.

"I'm sorry I didn't listen to you," I say.

I feel her eyes on me, "neither of us saw this coming, there's no way we knew things would escalate like this."

I shake my head, "yeah but you knew he'd get violent again... You were on the outside looking in, you saw him as he actually was..." I scoff, "right now I'm even lying to myself. I saw how he was too, I just kept ignoring it, I blinded myself."

Sasha goes at the green light. "Well maybe you're right, I think it's good that you've acknowledged it though... If you do go on trial, make sure the jury knows that too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52K 3.6K 43
" That's not fair and you know it," He gritted, " You're not the only one who blames themselves for his death." " He's dead because of me, Exodus!"...
3.5K 160 31
Malia Rivers. Her family life was great. She had the life everyone dreamed of until her mom caught her dad with another woman. Of course her mom got...
5.3K 195 14
Before she could say anything , I pulled her down making her lay over my lap. She made a small noise, as it took her by surprise. "Stay still." I sa...
244K 13.4K 76
COMPLETED✔ "Her skin was the shade of dark chocolate and not the cheap shit, the expensive kind. The kind that your tongue slowly massages as your ta...