For the rest of my life

By birdwithapen

Sumaiya is a 22 year old girl with big dreams. She wants to excel in her career, travel the world, care for h... More

TWO | What do you say?
Author's Note
THREE | Busy, busy, busy
FOUR | Let the planning begin!
FIVE | Time is ticking...
SIX | Sharing the news
SEVEN | Mubarak
EIGHT | Promise
NINE | A day in the life...
TEN | Alhamdulillah
ELEVEN | Busy bee
TWELVE | Excuse me?
THIRTEEN | Sibling love
FOURTEEN | Things are getting real!
Author's Note
FIFTEEN | Nerves and excitement
SIXTEEN | Mehndi night for the girls
Author's note
SEVENTEEN | The big day
EIGHTEEN | Let's go!
NINETEEN | Breathless
TWENTY | Shy smiles and beauty
TWENTY ONE | He created us in pairs
TWENTY TWO | You look breathtaking

ONE | One plus one

83 9 6
By birdwithapen

Hey everyone! Salaam (peace be upon you) to you all!

This is my first book here on Wattpad, so I'm not yet used to writing. Please show some love and support because I know it will really encourage me to continue writing and voting would mean so, so, so much to me. I hope you enjoy the story, I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have for me :)

But for now, let's get into it!

- Dawood's PoV

I sat at the driver's seat of my car, my fingers drumming nervously on the steering wheel as I waited for my mother, father and brother. My sister and her husband would be following just behind in their car.

"All in?" I asked. And they were. The whole crew. Minus my nephew, of course. Having cute little Huzaifa around might just change the purpose of the visit from marriage to 'gushing over cute baby'.

After 15 minutes of idle talk, my father spoke up, placing his hand on my shoulder as I drove.

"Dawood. I know you think you're not ready for this, but remember, your family are with you every step of the way, whatever decision you make."

I nodded, knowing that he was telling me the truth, that whatever the outcome of today was, my parents would not be upset with me. After all, the happiness of their children was always their priority. As I thought that, I thanked Allah and prayed to him to grant them the highest ranks of Paradise. But before my thoughts could float elsewhere, it was my mother's turn to speak up.

"It's just down the road now Son, Laila said it's fine to park in the drive."

So I did. We rolled in and I stopped the car outside the beautifully maintained house that might well conceal my future bride. My mother opened her door first and stepped out, my father next, and after that my sister and her husband from the car behind. Junaid stayed put. He was watching me carefully, a faint smile on his lips that showed he knew exactly how I was feeling.

"Come on bro, let's go in. I hear this girl is special..." he said with a wink, and I laughed. This guy would be the death of me, I thought, rolling my eyes at him as he led me to the group at the door.

- Sumaiya's PoV

"Summyyy! Come on! You have half an hour before they get here and you're still sat here in your bathrobe with a towel on your head! Get a move on before I take that mobile away from you." My mother shouted as I chuckled at her.

I was 22 years old, yet mama still treated me like I was 12. Here I was, with a potential fiancé coming to see me, and she still had to threaten to confiscate my gadgets. She was truly one of a kind.

"Okayyy I'll get ready, call Zahra for me please. Oh, and tell Faatiha I need her help." I groaned as I dragged myself up from my bed and towards my wardrobe.

"Good good. Now wear something pretty and be down in the kitchen in 20 minutes sharp, I have something waiting for you. No questions asked, just do as I say. I love you!" she called as she ran down the steps.

I pulled the heavy towel off my head, throwing it onto the bed and shaking my head upside down to free my flowing locks from the tangles they were bound to have got into. From my wardrobe, I picked a mauve wide leg trouser co-ord and layered it with a floaty abaya, before sitting at my dressing table and applying a light coat of tinted moisturiser with some mascara and lip gloss as my two sisters strolled in.

"Sumaiyaaaaa you look gorgeous!"

"He's not going to be able to take his eyes off you. Eek! I can't believe my little sister is actually getting married!!" shrieked Zahra.

"Woah! Hold your horses, who said I'm getting married? It's the first time I'm going to see the guy – or any guy for that matter!"

"Still though Sum, that's what I thought when I was getting married, we'll see..." trailed Zahra. And I laughed, throwing a cushion at each of my sisters as I did.

They left, and I put on my hijab, wrapping it around simply and allowing it to flow over my shoulder.

Finally, I was ready. As I ran downstairs, waiting to see what my mum had in store for me, I bumped into someone, hard.

"Erm Sumaiya, you're not getting married just yet, stop getting so excited" teased my big brother Yahya, hugging me.

Ugh, these people... they are getting way too ahead of themselves. I honestly don't think I'm ready for marriage yet, but these are totally up for it. I mean, I haven't even told my best friend yet, and I tell her everything, like EVERYTHING. I just didn't see the point in telling her straight away in case things didn't go to plan. Something inside of me wishes I had though, because Hanna is exactly what I needed to calm my nerves right now. But I hated disappointing people, especially those I love.

I could hear chattering in the kitchen, my little sister Faatiha telling some kind of story, Zahra adding bits here and there, mama laughing as she washed the dishes, and the unmistakeable laugh of... HANNA! What was she doing here? I definitely hadn't told her, hadn't my family told her that today wasn't a good time?! I was a nervous wreck... I couldn't let her see me like this, unless... this was mama's surprise!!

It must have seemed like a tornado, but I tumbled in, tripping over as I did, and landed straight into the arms of the best friend a girl could ever wish for. I hadn't seen Hanna in months, not since she moved to Birmingham with her family anyway, yet here she was – and boy was I glad she was! At least now I had someone to vent my worries out on. But before I got the chance to do that, the doorbell rang, ad as it did, I felt the blood rush away from my face as the nerves kicked once again and I felt so sick that I had to sit down. Hanna was beside me right away, my sisters on either side, rubbing my back and holding my hands as a glass of water was placed in front of me and I heard baba welcoming the Ali family into our home.

Soon, the feeling eased off, and it was just me and Hanna left in the room, giggling at nothing in particular while she tried to bring back the confidence in me.

Then Yahya came in, his gaze lowered out of respect for Hanna and I knew the time had come. I quickly checked my appearance in the mirror before grinning at my brother and giving a quick thumbs up to my friend.

- Dawood's PoV

She came in with her brother and the first thing I thought was 'wow'... I hadn't even seen her face yet, but her outfit said a lot. There was a perfect balance of modernity, modesty and spirituality, and as I tilted my head away from the conversation I was having with Aunty Laila, her mother, I was instantly left in awe. MashaAllah... I thought, she wears the hijab, and with confidence too, that's beautiful – and her shy smile, Subhanallah.

My sister nudged me, and I saw that all eyes except the girl's were on me. Oh, they saw me watching her... that's awkward.

Then her father, Uncle Shoaib, spoke up, "I think its time we moved into the other rooms now, and leave these two to get to know each other a little bit, yes?"

And so they left, leaving me with the most beautiful girl I think I had ever seen.

After they left, she slowly looked up at me, her large brown eyes gazing gently at me, a soft smile on her lips and a light blush seeping up her cheeks.

"Assalamu alaykum" I started.

"Wa alaykum salaam" she responded, quietly.

"Alhamdulillah, a bit nervous, but okay I guess"

I smiled, "me too. So, tell me a bit about yourself"

"Well..."she began, "I'm 22, and I've recently graduated from my degree in midwifery, now I work at the hospital. I also have a small events business on the side, I bake for special occasions and create backdrops, just as a hobby though, I'd like to focus on my actual career." She smiled, looking up at me.

"That's amazing MashaAllah! Midwifery must be such a rewarding job, but its great that you also do something that you love on the side too."

"what about you?" she asked curiously.

"I'm 26, I graduated when I was 21 with a degree in accounting and finance, and completed my masters degree a year later so that I could specialise in business management. That's what I do now, I run a company that deals with various businesses and help them keep track of their finances, as well as buying and selling them as assets when we can."

"Wow, Subhanallah, that's... wow! You seem so driven, you must love your job?" she questioned, seemingly impressed.

"it definitely comes with its downsides, the everlasting stress being one" I chuckled, "but yes, I love my job. More that that though, I love my family."

As I said that, I saw her whole face light up, and I knew I had said exactly the right thing. All of a sudden, whatever doubts I had about marriage before, I felt them being wiped away. So family was important to her too... alhamdulillah.

- Sumaiya's PoV

So, family came first for him just like it did for me. That was a huge relief for me. Each thing this guy said just brought me closer and closer to wanting to know more about him. I didn't even realise when it happened, but I found myself enjoying our conversation, and the doubts I first had were now in the past.

"Salaam. Sumaiya, Dawood Bhai (brother), come through to the dining room now please, mama and baba are waiting." Said Faatiha, leaving the door open behind her.

"Okay, we're coming now." I replied, getting up from the sofa before heading over to the door. Dawood followed behind me, and soon the two complete families were once again chatting way over the meal. A couple of times I looked up and caught Dawood glancing at me, but I laughed out loud when I saw Yahya glaring at him and Sulaiman (Zahra's husband) nudging Yahya knowingly with his elbow to tell him to behave.

"Jazakallahu khair sister Laila, you put so much effort in for us. We enjoyed it very much."

"Yes, thank you, the meal was lovely and it was great getting to know you all, but we must leave soon, it's almost time for my son's next feed and he'll be getting restless with his grandparents by now." Said Seema, Dawood's older sister.

"Of course, Seema darling. I know what its like when little baby's fall out of routine just for one day, it's awful!" mama related.

"Ohh MashaAllah, you have a young baby. What's his name? How old is he?" I questioned all in one go, my infant-loving nature kicking in.

Everyone laughed once again, as my father stated, "and that's why she studied midwifery!"

"Little Huzaifa is 5 months old" laughed Dawood fondly. This man really loves his nephew, I thought, the smile on his face said it all. He looked beautiful when he smiles, it reached his dazzling green eyes and made him look so handsome.

I mentally smacked myself. Astaghfirullah, this man was a stranger to me! How could I think such things!

About half an hour later, his family had left, we had cleaned up, and now it was just us girls and Hanna at home. Baba, Yahya and Sulaiman all went to the masjid for Esha Salah.

"Soo... Sumy, what do you say?" Hanna began.

"What do I say about what?" I replied naively.

"Sumaiya... come on, we all saw you in there. You like him, don't you? And for the record, you're allowed to in this case." Said Zahra.

Wait what? They saw me... of course, duh, they came spying on us when we were alone. Typical of my sisters. I grinned.

Then mama spoke up, "well if it helps in any way at all, Hajra texted me a couple of minutes ago. They're going to discuss today's events as a family and let me know the outcome by morning. But she thinks it's a yes from him... and to be honest, I think it's a yes from you too...no point in hiding it, I'm your mother, I know" she laughed and I hid my face in embarrassment. And as always, she was right.

Then it was Hanna's turn, "Sumaiya come on, we need some excitement. And besides, you'd make a really cute couple." She squeaked as I threw a cushion at her.

The men were soon back and I noticed that in the room, there wasn't a single person who didn't look happy for me. Even Yahya did, and he was the most protective big brother a girl could ever ask for. My parents looked so proud of me, and my father smiled so happily that I immediately knew my answer.

So... that was my first chapter of my first ever book! It was a long one, I know! Anyway, how did you find it? I'd love to hear your thoughts on what will happen next. Leave me some comments below and don't forget to vote and like my story if you enjoyed it.

See you in my next chapter ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 12.9K 60
We continue to follow the life of Jannah, Dawud, their family, and friends. With Jannah starting her third year of university and Dawud starting his...
10K 742 18
"I can't marry you," the words slipped out of her mouth, paining her in the process. "Why?" He questioned, "Feiha, you know how I feel for you and I...
29.9K 974 10
Rabiatul and Zayd : Married for 7 years, In love, runs a successful business, had a son, having a perfect life. Or so she thought. Being a stay-at-ho...
408K 24.6K 38
Inaraah, 23 years old muslimah working in Qureshi company. She is independent hardworking and steadfast but still holds on to her Deen. She is pious...