The Backup Singer - A Matty H...

By subsectionss

// Billie's always been in the background, but she's always wanted to sing. That's why when the perfect job c... More

Introduction
Part 2 - The Audition
Part 3 - The Arcade
Part 4 - Rehearsals
Part 5 - The Coffee Shop
Part 6 - Goodnight
Part 7 - Pre-Gig Rituals
Part 8 - The Gig
Part 9 - She Just Left
Part 10 - Of All Names
Part 11 - An Interesting Rehearsal
Part 12 - Explanations
Part 13 - Not That Simple
Part 14 - Technicalities
Part 15 - Toxic
Part 16 - Big Sleep
Part 17 - Terrible At Love
Part 18 - Take Care Of Him
Part 19 - Numbness
Part 20 - Ignorance Is Bliss
Part 21 - Safe And Sound
Part 22 - The Surprise
Part 23 - Cheesy and Pretentious
Part 24 - Stay
Part 25 - Intoxicating
Part 26 - Wyatt And Miranda
Part 27 - Ice Cream Delivered
Part 28 - Cold Shoulder
Part 29 - Hold The Door
Part 30 - Speaker
Part 31 - Third Wheeling
Part 32 - Getting Ready Is No Laughing Matter
Part 33 - What Does This Make Us?
Part 34 - Officially
Part 35 - Medicine
Part 36 - I Just Need To Think
Part 37 - I Will Not Hesitate To Hunt You Down
Part 38 - Alone
Part 39 - Revelations
Part 40 - We're Home
Epilogue
End Note

Part 1 - The Call

6.4K 127 54
By subsectionss

I was driving home from my office day job when I got the call.

My phone started ringing and I could just hear it over the radio that was blaring, turned up loud. I switched off the radio and picked up the phone, seeing my agent's number.

"Hey Ty," I sang into the phone.

"Hey Billie. I have news." Tyler said.

"I hope it's good news, because if it's bad news I'll be sad." I said, laughing.

"I got you a spot as a backing singer in a band." She blurted out.

"What?!" I screamed.

"Billie. I found you a job. As a backup singer. In a band. Slow enough?" She laughed.

"Oh my god! Tyler! I'm so excited! What band is it?" I asked her.

"They're called The 1975." She replied.

"Haven't heard of them. Are they any good?" I asked.

"They're amazing. The drummer is freaking beautiful." She said.

"I'll search them up when I get home." I laughed.

"So it's a yes?" Tyler asked.

"I'll search them up on YouTube and stuff, I'll have you an answer by tomorrow." I replied.

"Okay babe. Remember, it's this or back to your day job. Night." Tyler sang. I smiled and hung up.

Tyler really was my best friend. We'd been friends since high school. I'd met her in a music class. She'd always wanted to be a manager-slash-producer. Yes, she is a girl. She suits her name - it's different.

Once I got home I pulled my little silver Suzuki Swift into the carpark. I locked my car before walking over to the elevator to get to my apartment. I pushed the third floor button and made my way to my small apartment.

"Honey, I'm home." I sang to my empty apartment.

I threw my handbag onto the couch and slipped off my shoes. I got changed into loose shorts and a tank top. I let my brown wavy hair out of its tight bun.

I sat down at my computer and searched up 'The 1975'.

After reading a fair bit about them and watching some interviews and songs of theirs, I'd decided I liked them. They seemed cool. They were intelligent, and their songs were really good. I decided to call Ty back straight away, instead of waiting until tomorrow.

"Hi Billie," she said.

"I want the job." I said.

"Yes! I knew you'd say yes! Yes, yes yes!" She exclaimed.

"Why are you so excited?" I asked, laughing.

"I needed an excuse to meet that beautiful drummer." She said.

I cracked up.

"You're such an idiot, Ty. Anyway yeah I'd love to be their backup singer. Will I be the only one?" I asked.

"They're looking for two backup singers. Hopefully you'll get in." She said.

"What? I thought you said you already got me the job?" I asked.

"Oh...did I? I-uh...I didn't tell you you had to go and audition?" She asked.

"No, you failed to mention that little detail." I said.

"Oh." She replied.

"It's alright. When's the audition?" I asked.

"In two days' time." She said.

"What?!" I exclaimed.

"Today's Wednesday. The audition is on Friday, at six. I'll come and pick you up from your apartment by five thirty. Look nice. Oh - and you have it sing one of their songs." She said, hanging up.

I looked at the time. It was nine o clock. I went and brushed my teeth before jumping into bed, exhausted.

Hope you liked the first chapter. Sorry it was so short. The next chapter is the audition! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

306K 6.9K 50
Fan fiction // Matty Healy The 1975 // Book 1 // "We're not a love story, darling, we're a cautionary tale." Cover by @21duns
26.6K 841 56
Amidst The 1975's - At their Very Best tour, a magnetic connection stirs between Isla Callaghan, a talented Irish photographer, and Matty Healy, the...
18.6K 370 35
May and Matty both have their problems. May's boyfriend is violent, but she can't leave him. Matty is one of the biggest rockstars in the world, with...
20.5K 330 65
" 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒, 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐒𝐀𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐄𝐏𝐇𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋 " 𝐄𝐏𝐇𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋 - ↳ 𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝘃𝗲𝗿�...