Choosing Fate (Book 3)

By grizzie-grey

"I'm just going with what the wind is telling me." "And what is it telling you now?" I took another deep brea... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue

Chapter 11

460 35 5
By grizzie-grey

"Please don't," I whispered as I moved my head to the side, avoiding any type of touch from him.

"Why not?"

"Because I can't let any type of emotion come between us. Or any type of emotion to come between me and anyone else. I'll be gone here soon, Xavier. I don't want anyone to be mourning for me once I'm gone." I felt like I was repeating myself over and over again, but each time I said the words, less and less they heard. It's like they blocked out the part of me dying or me being related to anything of death.

"It's too late. You already warmed your way into my family's heart."

I shook my head. "That's not true. It hasn't been that long."

He gave me a small smile as his hand caressed my cheek. Shockingly, I didn't move away. "My family has the tendency of choosing the right type of people to fall in love with now a days. They never make mistakes, and their love for you isn't one."

I sighed as I took a step sideways and began to walk. "You can't just say things like this and expect me to drop everything and stay, Xavier. I had a plan, a life, and it was going great until I met you."

I regretted the words as soon as I said them, and I whirled around to apologize, but he held his hand up. "I understand what you meant. There's no need for you to apologize." His voice was rough though, as if he was controlling the tone he used to speak to me.

My eyes closed automatically as the wind picked up once more, making my hair dance around my face. My hands went up into the air, and I whispered, "Do you feel it? I am the air, I need to be with it."

There was silence as I slowly opened my eyes. His stare was trained to me, and the saddest expression was spread across his face as he continued to watch me walk around him, taking deep breaths.

"So that's it?"

I stopped and looked down at the ground. "Yes," I uttered eventually, but then looked back up and gave him a small smile. "Doesn't mean I can't stop being your friend. You can always join me too, but there can be no hitting me with the doors or anything like that."

The broken laugh that escaped his lips made me smile again, but it quickly dropped. "I... can't."

I nodded in understanding. "Prince duties."

"No."

"No?"

"Yes."

"Then why?" I asked breathlessly and he looked away again. He gave me his back, so I couldn't see his expression as he uttered out some soft words.

"I can't watch you die."

I flinched, but my head nodded automatically. "Oh."

It was silent as we kept our distance. The wind slowed down, and time passed. When my feet began to ache, I sat down and played with the grass around me while he stayed rooted to his spot. Only when my stomach growled did he finally move, but as if he was in a trance. He wasn't himself.

"I should take you home now."

Before I could reply, he turned into his wolf, shredding the clothes he had borrowed. My eyes widened, seeing someone morph into their beast infront of my eyes for the first time, but I wasn't scared.

I was fascinated for some odd reason.

He silently crouched down, and I got into the same position as before. This time, he didn't rush back home; he took his time, letting me enjoy the pace and the world around us. Five minutes later, he slowed down as the walls came into view.

We didn't speak as I went inside, leaving him by himself so he could morph back. I went straight to the room I had been occupying, and freshened up. Once I made sure I didn't have dirty clothes or dirty hands, I went to the dining room for the last time, giving everyone who was there a smile.

Dinner was a bit tense as we ate what felt like my last meal. Just the mood that was in the air felt like I was on death row, and I would be dying tomorrow; which if I was being honest, I could. Even the cheerful baby who screamed and laughed as her mother fed her didn't make anyone smile. The mood slowly changed when the last person placed their fork down, and cleared their throat.

"Shall we lift the spirits up with one last game?" I smiled again, and nodded, eyeing Delilah as she stood up, making all the men stand up as well. For the next ten seconds, chairs scraped back as everyone stood up, and then it turned into chaos as they decided on their partners. It reminded me of my first day here, and I couldn't help but laugh as Delilah skipped to me and grabbed my arm, patting it. "Let's walk ahead and leave the arguing wolves. I got a secret stash of booze I can share with you."

I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing as she winked while she loudly whispered, knowing the supernaturals would hear. "Uh, Delilah?" Alex spoke, but we were already practically sprinting away from the room. Of course, they managed to catch up, and once the teams were secured, the game began.

~~~~~~

"Oh my god I gotta go!" I cried as I covered my mouth and stood up. "I can't."

"No, stay!" Laughed Eveline, who was still clutching her sides as she tried to not laugh anymore.

"If I stay here any longer, I will pee my pants and ruin Delilah's furniture. I can't laugh anymore."

It was silent as I weaved my way through the seats, and then someone cleared their throat. "Well I guess that can end the game. Sorry Tom, but your drawing sucked." Alex chuckled as he looked at Alice's mate. "And for the second time in a row, Eva won. Congrats!"

I gave everyone a salute and a wink before I walked out, leaving them all flabbergasted. I reached my room in peace, emptied my crying bladder, and managed to fall asleep without any problems. But when morning came, all of yesterday's thoughts came rushing in, and my breath got knocked out of me as I realized what day it was.

I didn't know why I was shocked, since I had decided I was going to leave. I guess I had completely forgotten with all the shits and giggles we had had during our game, that I forgot about my leaving. But now that it was here, facing me, I was... scared.

With a sigh, I got up, changed into the clothes I had come in that very first day after my shower, and took deep breaths. I grabbed the small bag Delilah had insisted on me taking, and slowly made my way down to the main foyer. I saw no one as I slowly opened the door, and crept out, not wanting to say goodbyes. Waterworks would only blur my vision if I dismissed myself, and I didn't want that to be their last memory of me.

"And where do you think you're going?" I jumped as Delilah's voice pierced the air behind me. I turned around, blushing as I got caught, and my mouth fell open as I saw everyone. Even Xavier.

"I was just... Er... leaving."

"Without saying goodbye?" I looked down at my feet, biting my lip as I shook my head. I could feel my eyes aching as I tried not to cry, but knew I would not be able to hold them back as I heard her stepping up.

"I can't." My voice broke. "I'm sorry, I can't. This is why I didn't want to say goodbye." She hugged me nevertheless, wiping the tears from my eyes as she herself tried not to cry.

"Stay then, Evangeline. Stay here with us."

I shook my head. "Please don't ask again. I won't and it's final." I stepped away from her embrace, wiping my face as I cleared my nose. I took a few deep breaths, and then accepted the hugs from everyone as they all formed a line. I apologized for what seemed like forever as they all chastised me for trying to sneak away, until I finally got to Xavier. His hug impacted me the most, but what made the waterworks start again was the lingering kiss he left on my forehead before walking away without saying a word.

"Goodbye." I whispered as I got into the car that was waiting for me behind them and closed the door. When it zoomed forward, I covered my face and cried for a few seconds. I only let myself cry for the shortest of seconds before I stopped myself, and forced myself to be happy, not realizing I had left part of my heart behind.

The car stopped at the airport, and the driver handed me a ticket to my shock.

"Anywhere you want." Was all he said before he drove away, leaving me by myself. I looked down at the first class ticket and sighed, not knowing where I was going. I walked inside the airport, and looked at all the people that were bustling around, knowing exactly where they were going. I stood next to the doors, looking down at the ticket to my freedom, and closed my eyes, taking more breaths as a lady announced a departure. Immediately, I knew that was exactly where I was going.

It didn't take me long to get inside the plane. Since I was only carrying a bag, I took it inside with me, and placed it on the seat next to me, since apparently I was the only first class passenger in my row. When the flight attendant came by to offer me a breakfast after take off, she handed me an envelope with a smile, walking away without letting me say anything.

I stared at it, flipping it over and over again, not seeing my name. When I tried to get her attention again, she gave me a small smile, and a shrug, only saying, "I was instructed to give it to you."

"Me?"

She nodded. "The ticket you gave us came with that."

With trembling hands, I placed it above my bag, and ate my breakfast instead. It laid there, unopened for the entire flight of six hours. Even when I unboarded, it laid inside my bag, practically burning a hole through my back as it called to me.

As soon as I stepped into the airport, a woman bombarded me and placed a purple lei over my neck. With an air kiss, she smiled at me, and cheered, "Aloha! Welcome to Hawaii! We hope you have a wonderful visit!" And then she went on to the person behind me as I stepped even further.

Aloha indeed. Let's see if this place can make me forget...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167 3 33
"Was I really going to die for him? Was he looking for me even? I knew the answer to only one of those questions, yes, for some reason I did not unde...
1.5M 55.6K 45
How will a human handle her introduction to the supernatural world? How will a powerful werewolf deal with the love of his life being terrified of th...
896 38 51
"Fishy kisses are better than kisses," I say, the words coming out of nowhere, "and like that, two people together are better than marriage." "What...
177 9 8
"I want to run away just to keep you safe even if that means we could never be us but.... Im so selfish that i cant do it because i want you, i want...