Aries

By firedance_icesong

[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her bes... More

Author's Note and Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 27.4
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.1
Chapter 32
Chapter 32.1
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Stolen page - 1
Aries' POV: before meeting her
Aries POV: Lyra
Aries POV: the flame that does not die
Aries POV: an act of cowardice
Aries POV: first kiss
Aries POV: ripped apart
Character Review
Next in series

Chapter 18

62.3K 3K 1.3K
By firedance_icesong

"Focus!" Varian said sternly.

I gritted my teeth and got up again. This was not me. On a normal day, I could hold myself against these shifters at least for ten minutes before falling down. Today, I was constantly falling within two minutes. Even Varian, my mentor for today could tell that something was bothering me.

While Miguel was sparing with Nash, Rhaze and Aislynn had paired up. Ant was being taught a few things by Kaina. As I had thought, Kaina was not an ordinary witch. Aries had once said she had the potential to be a Hunter of Moon. Whatever that was.

And yes, I knew why I was failing miserably today. Aries was not here and I was feeling pathetic to even admit it to myself. Why was it that I could perform better with him next to me? Two days ago, when Aries was standing in the sidelines, I had actually defeated Varian in a fair fight. Now, I could not focus on this fight for the life of me.

Or it could have been the conversation I had with Alpha Eric, Brent and Andrew two days ago. It could have been the way, the hope in Eric's eyes that was disturbing me. That made me wonder about a family I never knew. It could have been. Should have been. 

Or it could have been my sleepless nights that were being plagued by voices that my brain said it belonged to people I had been close with in the past. As much as any of the reason above could have been the reason of my failure today, I was still able to trace the source of my unhappiness to the missing star.

Clearing my head, I saw Varian before me. He was looking calm and composed.

I nodded at him. And he charged.

His fist was raised as if to hit me in my solar plexus. But I knew better. Spinning to my right, I evaded his punch that was coming to my left. Not stopping there, I brought my fist upon him.

He did manage to evade it, but my fist landed a solid punch on his side. He stopped and saw me. Read me. Sized me up. And I hated it.

Growling, I sprung. I did not know what possessed me, but I literally flew. Even Varian was surprised when I landed a solid punch on his face, knocking him off his feet.

Stuck in his surprise, he did not get up. Everyone around us had stopped with their training.

Then Ant began to clap. Slowly Kaina followed and then Aislynn and my sister.

I swallowed loudly and offered my hand to Varian.

"Get up," I said.

Varian took my hand but he had a distant look in his eyes. Like he did not recognise who I was.

"W-what was that, Lyra?" he breathed as he stood up.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

It was then Miguel smirked. "That, Varian, is an Alpha Shifter. We have not seen one in ages and hence we seemed to have forgotten."

Aislynn smiled slowly. "That speed. I remember. Alpha Bria had been just as fast as Lyra had been a few minutes ago." She then shook her head. "No. Alpha Bria was an Alpha because of her mateship. She was not as fast as Lyra. She had been slower."

Varian blinked. "I forget at times that you were there when Alpha Bria had been challenged."

Nash licked his lips. "If our Alpha is this fast before shifting, how fast would she be if she shifted?"

Rhaze's frozen face slowly split into a smirk. "I live for that day to come. Can't wait to see that."

I heaved a breath. "Don't expect so much."

But Miguel said continued as if I had not said anything. "But what she is... I have never seen anything like this before. I have seen Alphas who were shifters and even they did not possess this speed. Her speed and strength now itself rivals many Alphas of old. I do not know how strong she would be if she shifted. Her speed is equal to that of-"

"-a Royal," Ant finished his sentence. "That of a star."

I gulped. Had I been too strong? Was I too fast?

"I am pretty sure that you are wrong-" I began.

"Wrong, my ass," Kaina snorted. "You should have seen that strength, Lyra. I am wondering how by Moon Varian is even alive."

I licked my lips. I glanced at Varian who was still giving me a look of wonder.

"Varian?" I called. "Did... did I hurt you?"

He nodded and then shook his head. "You did. But you healed me right away."

I blinked. This was getting weirder with each second.

"What?" Miguel echoed my thoughts.

He scratched his head. "I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. Her punch literally knocked me out. I could feel my breath leave me and I blacked out. But then, power like nothing I have experienced flowed through me. When I traced its source, I came from Lyra."

Aislynn blinked. "You. You nearly annihilated my pack, Varian. You are saying that Lyra knocked you out cold?"

He nodded. "Yes. One, I did not expect that burst of energy and power. Two, she was really powerful. As powerful as Alpha Rhett had been."

Miguel nodded. "Well... I guess we should have a talk about this with Aries. He might know something we don't."

Ant snorted. "Tell me one thing he does not know."

Miguel opened his mouth and shut it again. "Perfect words, Ant."

Then they nodded at each other and they paired, leaving Ant and me out.

When I was about to open my mouth, Aislynn gave me a warm smile. "You have a lot going on, Lyra. So many decisions. Rest for a while. At least rest when Aries is not here. You know how much of a hard trainer he is."

Returning her smile, I went and sat on a bench. Seconds later, Ant plopped herself next to me with a bottle of water. Screwing it open, she drank and offered me the contents.

The liquid was cool against my parched throat. Before I knew, the bottle was empty.

"Do you think you might be related to a Royal?" Ant asked casually.

I nearly spat the water I had drunk. "What?"

"Your strength and speed otherwise," Ant shrugged. "I have seen that kind of strength only from Hunters of Moon and of course to stars."

I frowned. I had heard only of stars. "And the Hunters of Moon are?"

She blinked. "You don't know?"

I shook my head. "I... don't."

She sighed and gazed at the mid-noon sky. Like how a rainy season would be, it was cloaked with grey pelts, as if it was cold itself. And with each second, it took a dark shade than before.

"They are..." Ant began. "They are creatures appointed either by the Four Great sisters - Amaris, Kamaria, Chandra and Luna or appointed by the Warriors of Moon. In extremely rare cases, they are chosen by Moon himself. They are Marked by the Moon. They... have powers, the rights to interfere in places even the Twelve Great Nobles could not. They are the first line of order. After them, came the Royal family. The last resort was the Warriors."

I gaped. "The Warriors are the last line of order?"

"What did you think they are, Lyra?" Ant asked with a smile. "They are the Stars from the Cosmos itself! They are so powerful that many galaxies have been stopped by a mere glance from them. Those great warriors are here, protecting me all because Cosmos once gave them a command to listen to Moon and Moon gave them an order to look after his daughter's bloodline. That's why they are here."

I gave her a long look. "They might have come for that reason, but that was not what made them stay. From the way Aries looks at you, I can tell that he loves you."

She snorted. "But that fool would never utter the words. He does not know what he is feeling at times. Sage is similar to him in that aspect. She closes herself up and thinks she can fix herself. Yet Leo is completely different. If he loves you, he would make sure that you knew it loud and clear. What surprises me is that all three are made of the same flame, yet they are so different."

"Same flame?"

Ant shook her head. "That is something, I think you should ask Aries himself. Not that I am guarding a secret or something, but I suck at explaining that. He would explain it better."

I nodded. "So the Hunters of Moon."

The sky brooded deeply and settled on the darkest shade it could find. The winds were cool and the sea churned in anticipation. But I knew that the sky did not have any message for the ocean. The clouds were as dark as night. One rule I had seen in weather like this. The clouds with shade closest to black never rained. Held back its tears, for it knew pain.

"Yes," she smiled and the blocked sun rays cast a ghastly glow on her face. "They are appointed and once they have accepted it, a tattoo develops on their back or chest. This grants them power and strength, even over an alpha, Omicron or Zayin at times."

"How are they chosen?"

"They could be anyone, Lyra." Ant said, looking at the sky. "They will reveal themselves only when the time is right. Until then, they could be sitting next to you and you would not know."

"I still can't understand many things," I said, waving my hands in hopelessness. "I... many in my pack knew everything about this politics and all and I am the only one who does not know. I feel useless-"

"Enough!" Ant commanded, allowing a sliver of her power echo in her voice.

When she had used her power on me the last time, I had been forced to listen to her. Now, I could have brushed off her command, but I listened. Not because she was a Royal, but because she was a friend.

"Stop doing that," she said through her gritted teeth. "I bet you past pack would be doing amazing in your absence. You were the one who made science dance to the tune of your heart. Controlled logic and reason and made them simple. No one can blame you if you were disinterested in politics or the latest fashion. For you saw a futuristic world and wanted it to happen."

I licked my lips. What could one say if their friend said such words?

"I will start with the basics," Ant said. "Is that okay?"

I grinned at her. "It's perfect. I might be a little rusty in the basics."

She rolled her eyes but nevertheless began. "Royals, we are the descendants of Luna. I bet many know that. But what many do not know is how we came to be her descendants."

I sewed my mouth shut, saving my questions for later.

"Legends say, Luna once came down to see the creation of her sisters and fell in love with the simplicity of their life." Antlia's voice was no longer that of a child's. It was smooth and honeyed, lulling me into the past, the scene which she was creating with words. "Seeing the shifters, vampires and magycs, she felt something was missing. You see, stars were strong lovers. There are so many of them who cannot live without their soul-bound. So, Luna's three sisters never gave their creation a bond which tied them together."

I blinked. Then how did the mates came into the picture?

"I can sense your confusion," Ant chuckled softly. "I was just like you when my mother first narrated our history. Anyway, as we are the creation of Stars, we are bound to love, feel rage just as fiercely as they do. You may think we had a choice, an option to choose whom to love, but so did the stars have that choice. But did you see them killing each other over lust and envy? No, some may occur in space, but when entire packs, covens and tribes fell due to the lust of one member, Luna could not bear it any longer."

Aislynn and Kaina pushed Ant a little and took their seat next to her. Rhaze and Miguel finished their sparring and they went to take a break, while Varian was talking something to Nash in a soft voice, facing the sea.

"Luna loved us, you see," Ant said. "She hated that so many wars broke out due to lust and envy. So she gave them mates, someone who was compatible with you, who would support you no matter what. This stopped many wars in the past. You won't believe but just take history before Luna's time. You will see so many Alphas fighting over one female. So many Zayins fighting over one male. As a result, many great packs, covens and tribes perished."

"How do you know this?" Aislynn asked softly. "Does the Royal castle have these records?"

"I have even more trusted sources." Ant grinned. "When it comes to these histories, no one is better than Aqua. She is the Warrior...who mostly oversees these mateships."

Kaina laughed. "The most trusted source indeed."

Ant smiled. "During her stay on Earth-"

"Why should she stay here?" I asked, unable to help myself.

"She..." Ant drawled. "She came down to study us. So that when she gave the bond, it never went wrong. Not mostly, never did it go wrong. Don't some researchers go through their project to experience it themselves? She came down like that. That was when she met a male."

"Ah!" Aislynn exclaimed. "A sweetheart? What race?"

"He was a simple human," Ant said. "His name was Inacas. With him, she had one son. It was through her son, we came to be. That is how the Royals came around."

"A human?" Kaina asked, her face twisting.

"Yes," Ant said. "That's why we acknowledge humans equal to any other race. Luna herself saw something worthy in him. Why should we trample down the human? The strong are not the ones who cast and throw aside the weak, they are the ones who protect the weak, defend them, give them a voice if needed."

Kaina heaved and turned her face away. It was then my sister and Miguel came. Instead of sitting on the bench next to us, they sat on the ground before us.

Ant frowned. "You hate humans, Kaina?"

Kaina snorted. "Just one."

Rhaze gave her a sideways glance. "Who is that?"

"Who cares about that bitch?" Kaina muttered. "My mate," she spat. "Left me for a human."

Ant rose her eyebrows. "I have nothing to say."

I cleared my throat. "Who... who was your mate?"

Kaina huffed. "His name is Roland. When we met, everything was perfect. We were together for about fifty years! We had two amazing children. Then one day he came home reeking of a female and sex. When I asked, he said nothing but packed his bag and left. Later when I tracked him down, I saw he was living a happy life with a human. He was laughing with her while I cried. He was living while I was wondering how not to die. He had a child with her and that broke the feeble bond between us."

I blinked. He could have at least given her a reason. To disappear and then finding your mate is living with another is a curse. No wonder she said she understood what rejection was.

Rhaze gritted her teeth. "This is something even worse."

Kaina waved her hand. "Trust me. I am happy now. I don't think about him at all."

Miguel's eyes widened. "You don't?"

Kaina gave him a smile. "Nope. I found my purpose again." Then she looked at us and her gaze landed on my sister. "I found my people. Why should I think of something that once ruined me?"

Aislynn blinked. "You are strong, I hope you know that."

Kaina shook her head. "Esme, my daughter-in-law says the same thing."

"She is right," Rhaze said. "Your daughter, I mean."

"Let the time tell," she commented.

Then a moment of silence prevailed over us. The clouds lightened and the winds picked up the moisture from the sea as it passed over it. The waves thrashed against the beach and the rocks that extended further. Yet, the father and son were talking seriously.

"Where were we?" Ant said suddenly. "Damn! We were talking about Luna, right?"

Kaina chuckled. "Sorry."

"No worries," Aislynn smiled. "We are family, Kaina. And families don't keep secrets."

Kaina's face showed a soft smile. "It feels right to belong here."

"Of course," Rhaze snorted. "I am here. Lyra is here. Who else do you want?"

"Lyra must have magic," Ant commented. "She is good at holding people."

At this Rhaze burst out laughing. "Oh my! Did you hear that, Lyra? You are good at holding people!"

I snorted and turned my face. I knew my sister would not let this opportunity to slip away.

"What is wrong?" Miguel asked.

"Lyra is even better at pushing people away."

Ant frowned. "I think you need talent for that too."

"Whatever," I muttered.

Ant laughed. "Whatever, indeed, Lyra. Anyhow, after Luna created some order, the creatures of the night felt a need to have a leader. That was when Amaris, Kamaria and Chandra blessed four bloodlines, naming them as the Alpha, Omicron, and Zayin of the four Noble packs. The four Great packs are not simply Noble, they are blessed the three sisters."

Rhaze's eyebrows met. "Then how did the West, North, East and South packs came in the picture?"

Ant chuckled lightly. "The leaders of those packs, covens and drives were named by Arren, Luna's son."

I blinked. "Why?"

Ant sighed. "Tale for another day."

I nodded.

"Since most here are werewolves and shifters, I will use their terms to describe the court. The same thing applies to vampires and Magycs too."

I nodded again. Kaina closed her eyes and leant on the bench. The pain on her face was enough for me to hunt that warlock named Roland. But before I could do something, Rhaze held the witch's hand and gave it a light squeeze.

That time, I knew.

"Alpha of Summer pack, Winter pack, Spring pack and Autumn pack, each have a vote." Ant's voice snapped me. "When a Royal passes a rule, we don't blindly do it. If the royal does that, anyone has the rights to questions us. Challenge us even. And if they win in the challenge, we are to give up our rule."

"Really?" Miguel's voice was filled wonder similar to that of a child. "But it has-"

"-never happened before," Ant finished agreeing. "We made sure it would not occur. So over time, people tend to forget such a rule existed."

"Wow!" Rhaze said. "But still, can anyone beat a Royal?"

"Aren't you all besting over me every day?" Ant asked with a faint smile.

"B-but," Miguel spluttered.

"We are just your mentors," Aislynn justified.

"It does not matter." Ant waved her hands. "It still counts as you winning me."

"B-but-" Miguel began only to be cut by the princess's laughter.

"I was not kidding," Ant said, containing her laughter. "But there are people who can best over the Royal line. My grandfather's brother was bested once. But since he was not the next King, no step was taken."

I gasped. "That's possible?"

She nodded. "Very much. Even Aries could win over me."

At this Aislynn snorted. "Tell me one person that star could not win over."

"Not one, but thirteen," Ant said. "Eleven of them are made to match his strength in every way possible. So between the Twelve Warriors of Moon, no one can come out as the winner. The other two can win over Aries any day. One is Cosmos, other, even Aries refuses to tell me."

I blinked. "Only two can best him?"

"He is one of the oldest star alive," Ant said. "Some say that their souls were planned way before Cosmos planned this universe. You have no idea how much power the Warriors own up there. Just because they are bound to the Moon's words, they are not using it on earth. If they did, I am pretty sure even this galaxy would not survive."

"Are they stars?" Kaina mused. "For they seem very different Alioth."

"I am not going to answer that," Ant said. "Ask one and they will tell you about their origin."

I hummed. As if he would open up and answer that to me. But what if the other one who could beat him had been his sister? His sister whom he had lost.

"Wow," Rhaze chuckled. "What were we talking and look where the conversation took us to."

"Wow," Ant echoed her.

"This is so similar," Miguel commented. When we looked at him, he said, "I go to Youtube to watch some music videos and I somehow end up watching how giraffes got patches and videos like can bacteria live in vacuum."

Rhaze blinked. "I am not going to answer anything to that."

"Preach, sister," Aislynn muttered. "I do pity the Winter Pack. I wonder how they had put up with you."

"Oh sister," Miguel said. "You haven't met Alpha Rhett, the Alpha of Winter Pack eight hundred years ago. He was way crazier than me."

At this point, the father and the son joined us. Varian, like a trained robot, went straight to Aislynn and gave her peck before sitting next to her. Nash grumbled and sat next to Miguel. Seeing that Nash was sitting next to him, Miguel's face lit up and he ruffled the boy's hair.

"Politics and pack?" Varian asked.

"I did not know about them," I said.

"No issues," Varian said. "It's just that I miss being a Gamma."

Kaina laughed. "I am a Reish. I understand you."

Varian gave her a look. "You were meant to be the Zayin of your Tribe. You gave that up."

She shrugged. "So what? It's my life."

He held his hands up. "I am not saying anything."

"Good," she grinned.

"What does the job of a Gamma entail?" Nash asked.

That was then I realised how much this boy had lived alone with Aislynn. He did not even know this. Hearing this, hit me hard. How many kids like Nash were out there? How many have become rogue, forced to live out their pack?

I gulped. The semantics my mind drew was not a yellow ball of sunshine.

"Gamma," Varian said, savouring the word. "They are the peacekeepers. Between the Alphas and the pack members, between their Alphas and the neighbouring pack. They are the ones who represent your pack to the outside world. Alphas have a lot of work going on. They can't attend the parties and functions. It's the Gammas who attend."

"Like the birth of a baby of a Tzade pair in any tribe," Kaina continued. "Attending funerals, attending a mating union. All these functions are attended by the Reishes... I mean by the Gammas of your pack."

"They are the ones who represent the pack in the Royal Court," Ant said. "Only if the Gamma fails to persuade the Royal, the Alpha steps in."

"Wow," Nash exclaimed softly.

"Many think that Gammas are nothing but a pretty face and stunning smile," Miguel said. "But it is that pretty face and stunning smile that would determine your pack's social status. A pack is usually judged based on their Gammas. Only after them, the Alphas come."

Nash blinked. "Really?"

"Really," Varian said.

"So what about Betas, Deltas and Alphas?" Nash asked excitedly.

"Alphas," Varian began. "They rule the pack with an iron fist when needed, example like Lyra. I hope you know what she did yesterday about Brent and Andrew. And sometimes, they are sweet and caring. They make every decision concerning the pack. And it is not an easy job to convince everyone. While the Gammas are sent for negotiating any deals, Alphas go for finalising it. They cast votes in the Royal court in behalf of their pack. If I am going to list their duties, we can sit here all day."

"Betas," my sister said. "They step in to take care of the Pack when the Alpha is away. Or take care of the pack if the Alpha is dead until the Alpha's child reach a certain age. There aren't much of Beta's job, other than the fact that they are the second-in-command of the pack."

"As for Deltas," Miguel began. "We train the pack. We are concerned with War and make sure that everyone sleeps safely at night. And occasionally, the Deltas take care of the technology sector too."

Nash had a smile on his face that even the winter winds could not touch. "Being in a pack is much more."

***********

The waves crashed softly against the rocks as I twisted in my bed. Sleep eluded me. I tossed again and then I gave up and sat on the bed.

What was wrong?

Usually, I slept fitfully. So contently. Especially with Aries' scent marking this room as his.

Then it hit me hard. Making sure that no one was here, I took a pillow and buried my nose in it. I took a deep breath and I could sense nothing but my own scent on it.

I groaned. His scent was missing. Like it had taken a stroll and never returned. To make it worse, my mind reminded how he never came today. Was he alright?

I wanted to hit my head hard against something. Was he alright? What a kind of question was that? Of course, he would be alright.

Shaking my head, I got up from the bed. My legs walked straight to the closet where his clothes were being kept. I opened to find a couple of linen shirts and t-shirts. I bit my lip. Would it be considered stealing if I took the shirt but replaced it the next morning after a wash?

As much as guilt crept up, scolding me for being too shameless, there was that primal part that wanted to drown in this scent. Not to mention, the linen shirts were extremely soft. Before I could regret, I snuck my hand and caught a white shirt and inhaled deeply. 

Disappointment hit me hard. The shirt was new and it only had the lingering scent of him. grumbling, I placed the shirt back and shut the closet. 

Unable to sleep, I walked towards the garden Aries told me about. As he said, I watered the plants each day and the plants gave me flowers in return. Pink lilacs, red roses, and so many flowers I could not name.

At least, whenever I went to the garden, I felt a little closer to Aries. Just a little. Like I knew something about him not many knew.

I sighed. It definitely was not helping me. This crush I had on him. It was taking my mind and playing with it.

A slight noise jolted me from my contemplation. I sniffed the air until I figured it was nothing dangerous.

Then the culprit responsible for the noise came and rubbed against my leg. Looking down I saw a cat with the blackest fur I had ever seen. It purred gently and lifted its head and opened its eyes.

The pale blue eyes were almost silver. Scratch that. It was silver eyes that got me. It gripped and refused to leave me alone. Its eyes softened and it purred again. I had seen those eyes only on one person. Perhaps, it was that eyes that made me feel closer to the cat.

I could not help but awe at that cat.

"Look at you," I said in a baby voice. "Aren't you precious?"

It mewled in response.

I lifted the cat. When I did, it immediately put its paws around my neck and buried its head in my neck.

Not having the heart to leave it out, I took it back with me. It kept on rubbing its head against my neck. And I could not help but thread my fingers through its thick fur. It rumbled lowly whenever I did that.

And by Moon, it did bring a smile on my face.

When I laid down on the bed and the cat was on me. I frowned. I could not keep calling it a cat, can I?

"What can I name you?" I asked.

It did nothing but yawn.

Laughing softly, I pondered. "How about... Cloudy? Opal?"

I opened its eyes and growled softly. Then my eyes widened and I checked for the gender. It did not yield. In the end, my arm was covered with scratches which the cat licked.

I glared at it. "I just wanted to find your gender."

It paid no attention to me and continued to lick my wounds.

"I officially name you Midnight," I declared and the cat paused for a while before resuming its job. "Because your fur is darker than the midnight sky."

"Midnight," I sighed hugged him.

Midnight purred before resting its head near my neck. When that scent hit me, I knew. I had been craving for that scent and it walks in the form of a cat now? As much as the black fur said what a creature of the night it was, I preferred the red fur that represented what it truly was.

Sleep had never found me as fast as it did that night.

A/N: what do you think of this chapter? Leave your thoughts below!

Any comments on Midnight?

~Quill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

276 25 28
Long ago, in a world where werewolves lived away from other werecreatures, preferring their own kind, there was a special type of shifter. A shifter...
22.3K 1.4K 24
***COMPLETE*** THIS IS THE FIRST BOOK I EVER WROTE SO ITS RUBISH I SUGGEST READING MY MORE RECENT BOOKS THEN READ THIS ONE TO SEE HOW I HAVE IMPROVED...
525 197 14
Lycan's were the first beasts created by the moon goddess to protect gods creation; the humans, from Lucifer's creation; the Vampires. Once the dark...
152K 6.2K 36
MATE TRILOGY #3 | After two years of being the Luna, Lyra finds herself keeping up to her title. She is fierce, strong and quite the leader. But what...