Protecting Alex's Heart~ Part...

By anikole

Alex finally comes home and is ready to spend the holidays for the first time with her family and with Chris... More

Prologue: Alex will you...?
Ch. 1: The Announcement
Ch 2: The Holiday Dish
Ch. 3: Nick's Secret
Ch. 4: 'Les Miserables'
Ch. 5: Alex's Big Scare
Ch. 6: The Mandy
Ch. 7: Sibling Rivalry
Ch. 8: The Heartbreak
Ch. 9: Alex's Secret
Ch. 10: Protecting Alex
Ch. 11: Live Chat Part 1
Ch. 12: Live Chat Part 2
Ch. 13: Upset, Lying, & Why?
Ch. 14: Suddenly Something New
Ch. 16: Jonas' Treasure Hunt
Ch. 17: Let the Music Begin
Ch. 18: Making the Cut Part 1
Ch. 18: Making the Cut Part 2
AUTHOR NOTE
AUTHOR UPDATE 7/15/17

Ch. 15: Mystery Phone Call

2.4K 46 2
By anikole

Chapter 15

            Alex woke up to her alarm on her phone, and she reached over to shut it off.  She moans rolling over and buries herself in the covers.

            “Alex,” she heard.  “Man, it’s going to be weird call your name with Selena’s name is Alex on Wizard.”

            Alex giggles.  “It’s open David, or since we are on Wizard, should I call you Justin?” she asked sitting up to look at her door.

            The door opens, and David peeks in with a huge smile.  “No, David is fine.”  He walks in and went over to the bed and sits down.  “Good morning.”

            “Good morning,” she smiled.

            “Did you sleep well?” he asked.

            She smiled, “I slept like a log.  If I didn’t hear my alarm I wouldn’t have been getting up.”

            David smiles.  “Well, I have breakfast ready in the kitchen for you and a glass of milk as you requested.  We are to be ready in an hour for Mitchel’s studio to start working on your songs.  Unless you want him to come over here today?”

            Alex thought about it.  “We can go over there.  I know that he’s been really excited to finally meet face to face.”

            “And remember we are only there for a few hours and then we head over to the studio for the script reading.”

            “Oh crap, I forgot about that.”

            “It’s okay.  Get ready, and then we’ll head out after breakfast.”

            Alex smiled, “Thanks for everything David.”

            “You’re welcome.”  He reached over to kiss her cheek.  “See you in a few.”

            David left the room, and Alex sighed covering her cheek.  “Wow… I got a kiss from Justin Russo.”

            “I heard that.”

            Alex laughs as she heads to the bathroom in her room.

~*~*~*~

            When Alex made it to LA, she and David got a hold of Mitchel, but he was busy so he couldn’t meet Alex, but he would do it the following day, which Alex was fine with, so David and Alex just sat and watched some movies and visited, worked on a few songs of hers in writing ideas that she was stuck on, and Alex even played her new song for the first time to David on her new guitar.  David was just impressed with the song, and was glad to hear that her brothers heard it before she left, and agreed that it would sound better on the piano.

            Today, Alex and David had their breakfast together, and then David drove them over to Mitchel’s place, which had a studio inside his house.

            With her music folder in her lap, her guitar in the trunk, Alex finally got to enjoy the scenery that was around her in LA since she was in a hotel months ago, and in a car accident and a hospital room, and was in a dance studio with Derek.

            “Beautiful isn’t it?” David asked her while he was watching the room and saw her looking around to see the ocean.

            “It’s really nice.  The weather is nice too, not cold like back in Texas,” she told him.  “I can’t believe that I never really got to enjoy it while I was on DWTS either.”

            “Really?” David asked surprised.  “I thought that you and Derek would get out some times.”

            “Chris was busy, and all I saw mostly was four walls every day,” she told him.

            “Well, enjoy it; you have three weeks to enjoy it all.  Or more,” he chuckles.

            “Thanks again David for letting me stay with you,” she said reaching over to pat his upper thigh.

            “Hey, it’s all good,” he said smiling at her, and goes back to driving, “I owe you a favor or two.”

            “What for?” she asked.

            “Well, I was on your brother’s TV show last year, so I thought why not help out a Jonas sister since I helped them out, plus I supported you going to DWTS, and you’re coming onto the show.  Besides, if your brothers didn’t know who you would be staying with I’m sure that they would be saying why are you not with someone that we know personally?”

            Alex thought about it, “I remember seeing you on there.  And you’re right; they would be upset if they didn’t know where I would be staying.”

            They soon pulled up to a house, and David called Mitchel.

            “Hey… we’re at the gate,” he told Mitchel on the other end.  “See you soon.”

            The gate opened, and David drove inside as the gate closed behind them.

~*~*~*~

            David parked the car outside Mitchel’s house, and Mitchel was standing outside his front door just beaming.

            “Alexis!” he cheered.

            “Mitchel!” she said going over and they hug while she held onto her folder.

            “So great to finally meet you.”

            “It’s awesome to meet you too.”

            David grabs Alex’s guitar case from the trunk of the car.

            “Did you bring your guitar?” Mitchel asked letting go and sees the case.

            “Not ‘the’ guitar.  The one that I was playing on was Kevin’s.  Surprisingly, mom and dad got me my very own before I flew out yesterday morning.”

            “Really?” Mitchel asked surprised himself.

            “Yep.  I’ll show it to you inside.”

            “It’s girly that’s for sure,” David told him.

            “Hey,” Alex said pointing at him, “I love my guitar thank you.”

            They laugh and head inside.

~*~*~*~

            Alex, David, and Mitchel sat down and they looked through all the songs that they helped Alex with, and Mitchel even checked to see if Alex could do some covers, which they got a list for what songs she could cover.  For two hours, they picked five songs that Mitchel really wanted to do the music for first, and made a copy of Alex’s ‘Suddenly’ that they worked on together so she had the original, and he was going to change the music to piano, and then it was time for David and Alex to head out for the script reading.  Mitchel said that he and his brother and some friends will sit down and work on the songs that they had, and when they come back after the reading, they could have one or two songs done, and he wanted to have her write a song with a tune that they were working on for her a few days ago.  Alex was excited for that one.

            After Alex and David said goodbye to Mitchel, they head off to the studios for the script reading.  Alex had a copy of the script the day before and was reading it again, and the lines that she would be playing with Justin finally got a girlfriend, and she was the girlfriend, and she was a wizard too, so she was excited that she got to play with ‘magic’ too.

            Once they got there, David introduced Alex to the cast, and everyone else there, and they did the script reading.  After an hour of it, and then going to the set to walk through the layout on what is going to happen, Alex and David got the go ahead to leave, so they headed back to Mitchel’s place.

            When they got inside after they told him that they were there, they started on recording Alex’s songs and her singing already, with some girls that came in while she was gone, or either Mitchel or his brother being the guy backup vocals on a few songs that she had done after they laid out the mixes and the music track for her already.

            After four long hours, they called it quits, ordered pizza, and played some games.

            Alex didn’t even hear her phone ringing in her pocket while she was racing everyone on Mario Kart, and kicking some butt.

~*~*~*~

            “Well?” Kevin asked.

            “Nothing.” Joe told him.

            “Just leave her a voicemail,” Nick told him.

            “Alex, it’s Joe.  We just wanted to make sure that you made it there okay, and how the album is coming, if you’re working on it or not.  Give us a call back.  We love you.  I miss you.  Bye.”

            Joe hung up his phone, and looked at his brothers.  They were just done cleaning house on mom’s request and now on the couch resting.

            “She’s probably having fun with David and Mitchel,” Kevin told them.

            “Ya, she and David get along great since he went to the DWTS for her.  He must have taken her out to go do something,” Nick told them.

            “Or they are working on her songs,” Joe told them.

            They were really bummed that she had to leave, but she did have a point, they had an album to make too, so they all couldn’t do it together.

            “Hey, try David’s phone,” Kevin said pointing to Joe.  “He’s got to have his on?”

            Joe went through his list and called David’s number.

            “Hello?” Joe heard David ask hearing cheers and yells in the background.

            “David, it’s Joe.  Is Alex with you?” Joe asked trying to hear.

            “Yeah, she’s kind of busy right now… aw man,” David said.  “Can I have her call you back?”

            “Did you do anything today?” Joe asked.

            “Yeah, we worked on her songs for seven hours, and she and I had to go to the studio for the script reading for two hours.”

            Joe was surprised, “Oh, okay.  Have her call us after your done please.  We…”

            “Sure thing Joe.  Talk to you later.”  David hung up the phone.

            Joe looked at the phone.

            “What happened?” Kevin asked.

            “She’s playing a game right now, which sounded like Mario Kart, but he would have her call us after they are done.”

            “Did she do any work?” Nick asked.

            “Seven hours of her album, and two hours for the show.”

            “Wow,” Kevin said.  “Busy already on her first day there.”

            “I wonder how far her songs have been done?” Nick asked.

            “We’ll see when she calls,” Joe told them with a smile.

~*~*~*~

            Alex and David had so much fun playing on the Wii with Mitchel, his brother, and friends, that they lost track of time.  It was one in the morning, so Mitchel just told them to stay the night, and Alex wasn’t going to make David drive home when he couldn’t keep his eyes open, and she didn’t know the way back to his house anyways.

            Mitchel gave Alex a huge shirt that he never wore and offered to wash her clothes, and in the morning he’d make sure that they were clean for her to wear again.  She thanked him, and went to the spare guest room and even locked the door just to feel better and was in the giggles knowing that she was in a house full of boys, but she knew nothing would happen, but she didn’t dare take the risk.

            As she made sure that she had her phone, purse, music, and guitar in the room with her, she was about to go to sleep to set her alarm when she saw that she had missed ten phone calls, and they were all from her brothers.

            She knew that they were two hours ahead of her, and she didn’t want to call them to wake them up at three, so she text them instead.

            Kevin, Joe, Nick:  SO SORRY… I was having so much fun.  I’ll call you in the morning.  Don’t worry, the bedroom door is locked, and I have everything with me in the room.

            Alex closed her phone, got under the covers until she heard the noise from her phone, and she looked to see that it was a text message from Nick.

            From Nick: I don’t care, call me right now.

            From Alex: I’m tired.  I’ve been working all day, and didn’t know that it was this late.

            Nick: No now.

            Alex: No, I’m about to fall asleep right now I can’t keep my eyes open.  TTYL.

            As Alex rechecked her alarm, she put her phone down on the bed stand, and soon the phone rang.

            “Ugh,” she said and answered it, “Look Nick, I’m feckin’ tired.  I’ll talk to you later when I’m able too.”

            “Gee, hi to you too Alex.”

            Alex dropped her phone and looked at the caller ID and put the phone up to her ear.  “OMG, Derek.  I’m so sorry.”

            She heard him laugh, “It’s fine.  I’m sorry to be calling you so late, but I heard from Chris that you two are no longer together?”

            Alex sighed, her best friend called to check in on her.  “How sweet of you to check in on me.”  She repeated her mine out loud.  “But, yes, we broke up.”

            “I’m so sorry to hear about it.  But um, what are you doing tomorrow?” he asked.

            “Oh, well…” she then thought that she’d have some time and so she explained what was going on with after the break up, the live chat, and the announcement of her doing an album.

            “I know,” Derek told her.  “I saw the video of you and your brothers singing.  Great song.  It was awesome.”

            “Thanks,” she said and blushed remembering that one song that was in her journal was about him.  “So, I’m in LA and I don’t know what Mitchel has planned, but David and I are going to the studio to start filming his show tomorrow and I’ll be recording my songs with Mitchel’s help.”

            “Well, think I could still an hour or two of your time tomorrow?  I want to take you out to lunch, and catch up.  Also I have a surprise for you too.”

            Alex thought about it.  A date?  With the Derek Hough?  The man that she danced with for sixteen weeks and won DWTS with?  “Are you asking me out?” she asked.

            Derek was quiet, “Yeah, I guess so,” he smiled.

            She softly giggles, “Okay.  Let me check with Mitchel and David and see if you can have a few hours of my very important time for you.”

            She could tell the he was smiling, “Great.  I’ll hear from you in the morning.”

            “Great.”

            “Good night Alex,” he told her.

            “Good night Derek.”

            She hung up, and finally crashed.

~*~*~*~

            Alex heard her phone going off, someone knocking on the bedroom door, and she moans waking up as she reached over to shut her phone alarm off.

            “Alex,” she heard behind the door.

            “What?” she moaned.

            “It’s David.  I have your clean clothes.  We have to be at the studio in an hour.”

            Alex sat straight up.  “Oh crap!” she said and got out of bed and went to the door and opened it to see David standing there with her clean clothes folded.

            “I can check to see if you have to come in today?” he asked.

            She yawns, “Sorry.  I tried to go to bed last night, but I text my brothers and I get this phone call and it was Derek.”

            “Wait, Derek called you?” he asked puzzled.

            “Yeah.  He wanted to know if we could go have lunch this afternoon?” she asked.

            “Oh, a date,” he smiled.

            “Who has a date?” they heard.

            Alex saw Mitchel coming down the hallway and saw the two talking.

            “Alex here has a date with Derek Hough this afternoon for lunch,” David told him.

            “No, I told him that I would check with both of you since I am recording my album and on the show,” Alex told them taking her clothes from David.

            “Well, my brother and the gang are just going to lay down the music and the backup vocals if you want to go with David and your date with Derek.”

            Alex sighed, “Mitchel I don’t want to be a problem on not getting these songs done.  Derek understands.”

            “How long are you going to be gone?”

            “He’s requested two hours of my valuable time he said,” she answered.

            “Sure, go get stuff done and then just come back after lunch.  We should be done with two songs by then.”

            “Okay,” she smiled and shut the door to get ready.

            “You’re welcome,” the boys said at once.

            “Thank you,” she told them with a smile.

            She text Derek while getting ready that he could get her at the studio at 1pm, and she has to be back at Mitchel’s at 3 and no later.

            After she got ready and grabbed her stuff, her phone rang.  She checked to see that it was Nick.

            “Good morning sunshine,” Alex smiled as she grabbed her purse and left the guest room to see David downstairs waiting for her with a donut and a thermos, which Mitchel showed her that it was milk inside.

            “Okay, you are not my sister who was cranky and tired last night and not returning my message in calling me,” Nick said on the phone.

            She goes over and kissed Mitchel’s cheek.  “Thank you, see you in a couple of hours,” she told him.

            “Have fun,” he told her with a smile and kissed her cheek too.  “Be careful.”

            “We will,” David said with a smile.

            Alex follows David out the door.

            “Alex, what is going on?” Nick asked.

            “Sorry, David and I are running late and have to be at the studio in a half hour.”

            “Where are you at?” he asked.

            Alex sighed as she buckled up as David did too, and starts his car.  “Okay, it was late so Mitchel offered to let us stay at his house, so that is where we spent the night.  He got us donuts, and David has coffee while I have my milk, and we’re just leaving.”

            “What were they talking about of have fun and see you in a couple of hours?

            “Oh, um… I have a date.”

            She heard noises on the other end, “You what?  Who is he?  Do we know him?  Has David and Mitchel met him yet?” Nick asked his million questions.

            “Calm down before you have another sugar rush again,” she told him.  “You all have met him before.  He called me late last night and asked me out.”

            “How long have we met him?”  She heard noises in the background, “It’s not David is it?

            Alex laughs and looks at David, “He asked if it was you?”

            David laughed, “That’s funny.”  Alex holds the phone up to his ear, “No way would I ask her out.  You guys would’ve decked me if I didn’t ask you first.  Besides, we’ve been like brother and sister.  Since you’re not here, I’m protecting her now.  So is Mitchel.”

            Alex got back on the phone.  “Got that little brother.”

            “He wasn’t talking and driving was he?

            “I held the phone up to his ear so he could talk to you,” she told him.  “Don’t worry.  I’ve got protection around me.  Mitchel and David both are going to kill Chris if they ever see him near me again.”

            She heard Nick sigh.  “Then who is it?

            She smiled and giggles, “Do you remember that really hot guy that has curly brown hair, brown eyes, the cutest smile, whenever he does, and is in that really hot and cute brother band that he is in?”

            David starts laughing.

            “ALEXIS!  It’s NOT me!  EEEwww.”

            She laughed more as Davis laughs more too.

            “Who is it or we are going to all fly out there to meet this guy?

            “Oh no, don’t do that,” she laughed.  “It would be a waste of your time.”

            “Don’t make me get Joe and Kevin on here too.”

            Alex knew she had to tell him, “Okay.  How about that really cute and hot dancer that I was with on that show months ago and won it with?”

            Nick was quiet that Alex had to look at the phone to make sure that he didn’t hang up.

            “Derek?” he finally asked.

            She smiled, “Yeah.  He asked me out, and I said yes.  We’re going out this afternoon.”

            “Wow,” was all that Nick could say.

            “Well, we have to get going and I have to eat before we get there,” Alex told him.

            “Wait,” Nick said.  “How are the songs coming along?

            She looks at David, “How many songs are done?” she asked.

            “I think two or three.  Mitchel is laying down the final tracks for one of them,” David told her.

            “David said two or three maybe.”

            “Oh, wow, you guys are moving along then,” Nick was impressed.

            “Well, Mitchel, his brother, and friends are working on them while David and I do the show so it’ll work out great.”

            “Did you get that song done yet?”

            “The last one that I sang?” she asked.

            “Yeah.”

            “It’s done.  We all agree that it’s going to be a piano.”

            “I think it’s better by piano too.”

            She smiled, “Thanks for the agreement.”

            “You’re welcome.  Oh, everyone says hi, and to please call tonight.”

            “This time I will right when we are done recording tonight.”

            “Don’t strain your voice.”

            “I know,” she smiled.

            “We love you.”

            “I love you guys too.”

            They said bye, and Alex hung up.

            “I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you that they called,” David told her as they got to the studio in five minutes to spare.

            “It’s fine.  We were having too much fun last night, and it was getting late anyways,” she told him.

            They got to a parking spot, and headed inside to work.

~*~*~*~

            “So?” Kevin asked Nick after he hung up the phone.  “How is she?”

            “She’s got a date with Derek this afternoon,” Nick smiled.

            “A date with Derek?” Joe asked really puzzled.  “I thought he was busy.”

            “He called her and asked her out.  She’s going out for lunch, but not to worry, she’s got three songs done, and Mitchel will have more done when she gets back to record.”

            “Wow, he is really serious about his job and getting her album done,” Kevin said impressed on the progress in just two days.

            “I just hope that Hollywood will sign her,” Nick told them.

            That was the only thing stopping everything.  Dad tried everything he could do, but they wanted more, they wanted her songs without the brother’s touch before they did a contract with her.

            “If she doesn’t get that contract…” Joe started.

            “All of her hard work is gone, and knowing Alex, if it’s gone, it’s gone for good,” Nick told him.

            They hoped that whatever Mitchel and David were doing for Alex’s album would sell to Hollywood Records, and to her fans; their fans.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.6K 467 20
Summary: Amber and Nick are back. Amber stayed in NYC for two months to do some work for Nick while he went to LA. When Amber gets done she goes back...
5.1K 169 45
Just a little Nick Jonas Love Story. Watch as Lex and Nick, childhood friends, reunite after so many years during the holidays. Nick is at a point i...
32.2K 545 24
Elena have just graduate high school. She goes on a vacation to USA with her two best friends Sarah and Sofie to celebrated their freedom. Their plan...
45.7K 664 21
SHE'S BACK!!!! Alexis 'Alex' Jonas and Derek Hough have been married for over 1 1/2 years now, and a lot has happened since they said 'I Do'. Alex ha...