90 days to live

Bởi Bestfootforward

'My mother used to tell me that life is just a series of battles; it is up to us whether we are brave enough... Xem Thêm

90 days to live - Chapter 1
90 days to live - Chapter 2
90 days to live - Chapter 3
90 days to live - Chapter 4
90 days to live - Chapter 5
90 days to live - Chapter 6
90 days to live - Chapter 7
90 days to live - Chapter 8
90 days to live - Chapter 9 pt. i
90 days to live - Chapter 9 pt. ii
90 days to live - Chapter 10
90 days to live - Chapter 11
90 days to live - Chapter 12
90 days to live - Chapter 13
90 days to live - Chapter 14
90 days to live - Chapter 15
90 days to live - Chapter 16
90 days to live - Chapter 17
90 days to live - Chapter 18
90 days to live - Chapter 19
90 days to live - Chapter 21
Epilogue
Please read:)

90 days to live - Chapter 20

2.7K 129 10
Bởi Bestfootforward

Please comment and vote:)

"John." Iron roars.

He pulls the morphine cannula out of his elbow, and throws the covers off himself.

"Iron no!" I exclaim as he lunges towards the lifeless Ally. He forms a fist with his hands and pounds it against her chest before breathing air into her lungs. He carries on repeating the process until he finally comes up, inhaling heavily.

"Goddammit where is John?" He rasps.

My eyes fall to John's desk. If Ally is to survive, she needs the Vial and I have no doubt his personal supply will be in the desk. I push Jared away from me and run over to the desk. Crouching on my knees, I curse as I see that the drawers are all locked and I have no key.

"Kyle find a medic." Iron orders. I lift my head to see Kyle, shaking his head. "Kyle I said now."

Kyle rolls his eyes and marches out of the room.

Withdrawing my dagger from the back pocket of my I ram it into the slit at the top of the drawer. Trying again, I manage to lodge in the thin blade. I groan with the exertion as I force all of my weight onto the dagger, levering the drawer open. I can feel the blade beginning to splinter off under my weight which only causes me to push down with even more determination.

The blade shatters underneath me and I swiftly drop the handle. The leeway I have managed to achieve, is just enough so that I can slip my fingers in and pull. Jared kneels beside me, adding the force required to pull the drawer off its hinges.

I can't seem to focus on any of the objects within the drawer, I'm too panicked.

"Calm down." Jared says softly, his fingers finding the small bottle of Vial that my eyes have missed.

Shakily, I grab the Vial off him bringing it over to Ally's beside.

"Come on." Iron growls, holding her mouth and inflate her lungs again. Its not working though. The resuscitation does not work on the dead. Only the Vial can but even its effects are subjective to time. It is useless two minutes after death.

"Iron, the Vial." I exclaim.

Iron growls protectively, using his body to shield Ally. He doesn't even look up.

"Listen to me Iron, if you do not let me use the Vial then her heart will not be able to restart. You will lose her unless you move." I say firmly.

He ignores me, continuing to desperately pound at his bond mate's unmoving chest. He's in full protection mode, no doubt he won't even recognise that I'm trying to help. I'm not prepared to lose my bestfriend though.

"Jared." I nod at Iron. Jared nods.

Sneaking up behind him, Jared grabs his waist, hauling him off of the bed and off of Ally. He begins to thrash immediately, the expression on his face is a mix of fury and hysteria.

"Quick." Jared says.

"Don't touch her." Iron yells, kicking his legs back into Jared.

I slide my arm underneath Ally's back, and pull her up to sitting position. I flinch at the feel of her shoulder blades jutting into the skin of my forearm. Reaching my arm all the way around her shoulder, I push down on her bottom lip to open her mouth.

"No!" Iron roars as I bite the stopper out of the Vial with my teeth.

"Lara, I can't hold him." Jared cries.

"Let her go." Iron yells.

I balance the Vial against her lips, allowing it slide back along her throat. I hear Jared's call before I feel the full impact of Iron's weight crush against me. He throws me against the floor, sending me sliding along the slippery tiles in a crumpled heap. Ignoring the slight throbbing my legs took from the fall, I stand and draw my sword; ready to protect myself.

Jared moves to my side, holding my shoulder while checking for injury. Iron stands defensively in front of Ally's bed, snarling at us. He's reminds me of a wolf protecting his mate.

"Don't come near her." He hisses primally.

I nod. I've done all I can for her. Now all we can do is wait to see the Vial play its part. My earlier distress is lessened by the fact that she swallowed the Vial.

My heart spikes suddenly. Not because there is any difference in Ally's condition, but because the flashing siren on the wall sounds. It is the first time it has been used here. The emergency siren is not a practice or a drill, it means that the climax has been reached. I silently pray that the event is not too major or urgent.

The door opens and John, followed by Zena dart into the room. From Zena's expression, I can tell something is wrong. She is always calm, no matter what the situation. For her to appear flustered is unnerving. John on the other hand appears petrified.

"What is happening?" I breathe heavily, gripping Jared's hand and my dagger.

"We're under attack." Zena grimaces.

My fists clench.

"Stats?" I ask hurriedly. Jared tenses beside me. 

"We're looking at a couple of thousand and they're teleporting in by the second. The emergency alarm has been sounded. Kyle has ordered to move Warriors into the Block as fast as we can. Anyone qualified from the age of 16 and up has been conscripted."

"16? That is barbaric." I exclaim. That would have been my younger sister fighting down there.

"Lara this is a war - we don't have a choice." Zena replies sadly.

"Where is Kyle?" I enquire.

"He moved in with the first group." John replies. "He came and found me. Just after he ordered me to return to my office, he received confirmation of their arrival."

"He's already fighting?" I ask in horror. With the stats being what they are, his chances of surviving...- I can't even contemplate the sentence.

"Jared, we have to go." I say softly. I turn back to glance at Iron who crouches over Ally, stroking her hair and cooing in her ear like she is a doll. I can feel my throat constrict as I stare on at them. I realise now that this could possibly be the end.

"Zena, send the order out to every other Medic that I want them stationed here. Casualties will be brought and treated by John and any other available Medics. Zena I need you to monitor Ally and makes sure Iron doesn't do anything stupid. I was able to use the Vial in time but he may need sedation. His instincts are only focusing on protecting her and he won't hesistate to kill you if he's see you as a threat." I say firmly.

My eyes flit back and forth from Zena to Iron.

"I understand Lara. I will seal this office as soon as you have left." She says, but her violet eyes don't meet mine. She's submissive and quiet. "Please be careful. I wish you all the best of luck."

"By that do you mean try not to die?" I enquire, the corners of my lips managing a fleeting smile.

"Yes." Her steady violet eyes scream with severity.

"Thank you." I say, stepping forward to embrace her. It is a little awkward to hold her thin, bony frame in my arms but I'm grateful for the kindness she has shown towards me.

"The same goes for you Jared." She nods towards him as I let my arms fall back to myself. "I do have some advice for you though - protect one another. You will be targets and it is essential we maintain our leadership."

"I will protect her with my life." Jared nods. I slip my hand into his and entwine our fingers.

"The same goes for me."

Jared smiles briefly, and we walk towards the door. But before we leave, I know I cannnot leave my friends without some instruction. Zena awaits expectantly.

"Zena." I clear my throat. "Please tell him not to give up. It is my wish that he should take control and defeat the Sicarii, no matter how long it takes." I say.

She nods. I smile gratefully and walk out the door. It shuts behind me and immediately the office seals up. They'll be safe there.

Jared and I run down the corridor. He draws a sabre from his suit pocket and braces himself for any unsuspecting attacks. As we rush towards the Block, my nerves only intensify. I feel nauseated, thinking that I would love nothing more than to run in the opposite direction with Jared. So many times, my eyes fall upon different spots where we could hide or exits that we could escape through but each time we throw away their possibilities. I will not be a coward. I will not allow others to fight for the things that I believe in and want. I will not shy away from the fight for humanity.

"Stop." Jared says, panting slightly.

"What is it?" I ask. I cannot sense an attacker anywhere around us nor can I hear anything. Jared pauses and pulls me to his chest.

"I love you." He says, dipping his head and pressing his lips against mine. I can feel the trail of warm tingles his fingers leaves across my arms, then my neck until they reach my face. I respond desperately to his hungry kiss. Knowing full well that it could potentially be my last only intensifies my impetuosity. When I pull away, I rest my forehead against his.

"I love you. As long as I'm still breathing, I won't allow anything to happen to you. I refuse to lose you again." I say.

"We'll be together - no matter what." He says firmly.

He kisses me once more. I sigh because I know that we cannot stay here forever. Because in the world we live in, we don't have time. Life may not be fair but I feel that I'm ready to sacrifice myself for the future beings. The true tragedy in life, is not finding the person you were meant to be with but I was lucky enough to find that and treasure him within the assorted days. We may not have our forever, but we've had our blissful time.

I nod him forward. I can't seem to express everything I want to say but I know that he can feel it to. There is so much we will miss out on but I'm not afraid of the impending battle ahead. I regret nothing.

"We need to hurry." Jared sighs.

"I know." I reply. "Don't be stupid though - remember all the training you've had. They only use logical fighting techniques - they will not be able to process any unforseen actions."

"You know, I think we could win this." Jared says. The way he says it, makes this seems like a game with the winning and the losing team. Only unlike a game, this determines our whole lives, not just the rest of our season.

I'm not able to respond. My heart lurches at his words because the little spitfire of hope is still burning brightly. We don't have the odds in our favour and I can't let myself forget that.

I seize Jared's hand and we begin to run. With every step another metre or so falls behind us. My sense are amplified as the anticipation throbs in the pit of my stomach.

"Don't be scared." Jared says. "Whatever happens, we're in this together."

"I'm not scared." I say adamantly. I'm not, at least not of fighting the Sicarii.

"Really?" Jared asks. I nod my head. "I'm terrified." He says, biting his lip sheepishly.

"Be terrified. Its okay." I say.

"Why aren't you?"

"Because I have everything I've ever wanted. I'm not afraid to die, the only thing I fear is losing you and I'm not going to give up easily." I say.

Jared's eyes glimmer and his smile is the last thing I see before I hear the catcall of the enemy.

Two Sicarii, jump out of the adjoining corridor a mere few metres in front of us. It takes everything that I have not to jerk backwards. Their swords are raised, ready to fight both Jared and I. Inhaling heavily, I dissolve the grip I have on Jared's hand. My body tenses, dissipating the quivering of my muscles.

"Ready?" He asks.

"Go."

We lunge forward. I catch the Sicarii on the left's sword in mid-air. We're locked in position for a moment and our eyes meet.

Don't fight by the rules. I remind myself.

 The Sicarii holds his position too long, leaving enough time for me to kick back against his stomach. He stumbles back and I launch myself again, seizing his head between my neck and finishing his life. I can't bear to look as his body crumples to the floor. Beside me, I hear Jared grunt as he ends the Sicarii attacking him.

I barely notice that we're both panting hard despite the extremely short attack.

"Don't expect them all to be that easy." Jared says, between breaths.

"We should get to the control room, there is more protection there." I say. Jared nods his head in agreement.

We move forward. I feel uneasy about being within these corridors where anyone or anything could spring out at us at any moment. As we approach the next hallway branch, I hear the faintest of noises. My skin prickles and immediately I know something is wrong.

"Jared-"

Before I can finish my sentence, two hands appear from the blind wall, throwing Jared into me, and me into the opposite side. I land with a thud against the tile and slid to the floor under Jared's weight. I groan as I feel the unpleasant throb in my head. My fingers brush lightly over my skull, but even the feather touch reacts badly with the tender skin.

Jared immediately climbs off and picks me up, standing me on my feet.

"Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine." I say, grimacing. My eyes focus on the troupe in front of us. I can't help but cling to Jared's side as I notice the Auctor glaring towards us, his smirk menacing and malevolent. The other 4 Sicarii barely faze me except the Sicarii's second in command. 

Their attack appears to be prolonged which puzzles me. The Leto always make the first move when allowed. They could have striked when Jared and I were crumpled on the floor; it would have been the perfect opportunity. They all seem to be waiting for something.

"Lara Hall and Jared Miller." The Auctor says, accentuating his syllables.

"Don't waste time, get on with it." Jared snarls.

"I'd rather not. Why rush?" The Auctor smirks. Immediately, my hackles are raised. Something is wrong. The Leto, the Sicarii or even a Mendosus are not programmed to delay events.

"That can't be right." I say quietly. Jared's eyes are hard and focused on the Auctor. He's trying to work it out as well. What possible reason could there be for perpetuating us? We're obviously outnumbered. They should think this to be easy pickings.

"Why not just kill us? Defeat the threat and avenge yourself." Jared enquires.

The Auctor doesn't reply to him. Instead he focuses on the Sicarii in front of him to. No doubt they are communicating with one another. After a minute or two with the only the company of our heavy breaths in the silent room, the Auctor finally loses the glazed look within his eyes.

"It is time." He smirks. "Prepare for your imminent death." He says, waving all four of the men forward with his fingers.

"They fight one by one." I hear Iron's voice echo around my mind from the day he taught me to fight on the Caritas ship.

They approach Jared and I. Jared glances at me and I nod. The Sicarii begin to circle around us so we're in the centre of them, our backs pressed together. My breaths are released as short, laboured gasps. I watch the circling Sicarii's eyes for any flicker of movement. Its hard to tell which will attack first as they're all in the same tensed position.

"Lara." Jared cries as the first Sicarii pounces upon him. He swiftly dodges, pulling me out of the way with him. Our momentary disorientation allows the second Sicarii to begin his attack. Immediately, these Sicarii show themselves to be stronger, more evasive and more competent than the previous attackers.

Jared and I move swiftly as the Sicarii continue to press forward. We defend ourselves instead of attacking them. They're attacks continue to follow one another until they stop suddenly. Instead of approaching one at a time, they stalk towards us together.

The Auctor stands behind them.

"Finish them." He commands.

The Sicarii both swing their swords, narrowly missing our head. As I duck, Jared catches one of them off guard and manages to get a solid aim on the left chest. The Sicarii spasms and collapses to the floor. The other hisses with fury. Using my legs, I manages to kick his out from underneath him. Jared finishes him in the same way. My eyes widen at the realisation that we still have another two Sicarii.

They circle us in the same way as the others did.

"Never fight by the rules."

I attack first. The Sicarii is ready though and dodges my blow. Only he does not expect me to return so swiftly and so forcefully. I kick him in the stomach and aim a punch at his face. He groans and his hand shelters his head from more attacks. I growl with the adrenaline fuelling my limbs. I don't have an idea of what I'm doing until I grabbed his arm and twisted it until he faces my back.

"We don't take kindly to intruders." I say through gritted teeth. With a simple move, the Sicarii collapses to the ground.

My eyes find Jared in a vicious struggle. The Sicarius attacking is much larger than him and has his back facing towards me. I can see the alarm within Jared's eyes and that it all it takes for me to lunge at the Sicarius. He bucks furiously as I raise my dagger.

As he crumples to the floor with a final yell, Jared exhales heavily.

"Thanks."

I hear a vengeful snarl behind me. The Auctor's eyes seems to glow as he stares at his deceased comrades lieing beneath Jared and I's feet. Withdrawing two sabres from behind his back, he slowly begins to advance towards us.

"You stupid humans." He hisses. I can tell already that this fight will be more challenging than the rest.

"Tell us why you were in no rush and we shall make your death short and relatively painless." I say. The Auctor scoffs.

He's close enough to attack by now and his silence reveals that he will not be giving away information without a true threat.

"Humanity's time is up." He says.

Using the two sabres, he clearly identifies Jared as his first target. My eyes widen with apprehension as I watch the Auctor slice through the air towards my bond mate. Everything seems to slow down, and I can't hear anything except my ragged breaths.

They engage in brutal attack. Jared dodges all of the Auctor's lunges effectively but the Auctor comes back with more force everytime. They lock swords and in the brief moment that they're stuck together, Jared's leg kicks up, knocking one of the Auctor's sabres out of his hand. The Auctor growls as the sabre slides across the floor, landing at my feet. I scoop it up quickly, taking my eyes off Jared for a second.

I hear his pained cry as my fingers slip around the handle of the sabre. My eyes shoot up to see a long gash down the middle of his thigh as he grips the wall to hold himself up.

"Jared." I cry.

 I'm spurred into action, lunging at the Auctor, distracting him. He falls to the floor under my weight. I'm quick to pin him down the floor.

"Tell me now." I hiss. "Why did you delay this fight?"

"Its too late. He's gone to find her and when he does, he'll make sure she never escapes him again." He chuckles lowly.

"Who?"

"The real asset."

I squint my eyes in confusion.

"Stupid human." The Auctor mutters.

With that I lift my dagger and end the menially existence of the Sicarii second in command. I can't say I have even one once of regret in killing him because there is nothing but satisfaction there.

I push myself off his body and rush over to Jared. His face is pale and drained of colour. The amount of blood he's losing is severe. His eyes are slowly falling but each time he manages to just keep them open.

"Jared, Jared, help me get you up." I cry frantically. I crouch down, wrapping my arm against his waist and putting his other arm around my shoulders. Feeling him put a little of his weight on his other leg, I try to stand. He's heavy, far too heavy for me to lift but with the adrenaline coursing through my veins, I just manage to get him up.

"What..what did he mean about the asset?" He asks in stuttered, laboured gasps. "Who went to retrieve it?"

I think back to the Auctor's words. They're so familiar to what he said when he appeared in the gymnasium, except he said I was the asset. Yet I'm still here.

I gasp.

"Ally." I swallow. "The Rex has gone to find Ally."

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

9.9M 468K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
13.6M 674K 191
Ara, the only woman left alive after a plague, is searching for a way to save humanity. She thinks there isn't a man she can trust, until she meets K...
Tyrant Bởi ℌ𝔢𝔟𝔞

Khoa Học Viễn Tưởng

8.9K 3K 43
If you mention the past, you die. ~~~ Phoenix, a young woman living in The City, has grown tired of unjust deaths, brutal killings, and punishment fo...
L.O.V.E. Bởi denissebloom04

Khoa Học Viễn Tưởng

4.1K 254 30
100 years ago, amidst WW3's nuclear bombing, a deadly virus was released in the atmosphere and nearly wiping out the humanity. It lives inside the hu...