A Day In September - BTS Zomb...

By wethenaive

It was finally time for the earth to rid itself of the most toxic parasites to ever plague its soil: humans. ... More

WARNING ⚠️
Intro - Kuru ⚕
1. The Bright Bleak
2: Phoebe
3: Projection
4: Violet Bloom
5: Just Shy of Bratty
7: Stuck
8: Rotting Flesh
9: Gone
10: Raccoons
11: Until the Very End
12: Merry-Go-Round
13: Unpredictable
14: Admitting Failure
15: Playing it Cool
16: Delusional
17: Life Goes On
18: Dead to You
19: Muse
20. Lost
21: Crusade
22. Good Soup
23: Sixth Sense
24. The Woman, the Myth, the Legend
25: Judgement Day
26: Ugly Duckling
27: Poison Ivy
28: Butthurt
29: The Locals
30: Board Games
31: Eat My Sh-
32: Get Ugly
33: No Other Way
34: Peace Offering
35: Calm After the Storm
36: Off the Leash
37: Fog
38: Not Worth It
39: Monks on a Mission
40: Lovesick Drunk
41: Ab Intra
42: Lost in the Game
43: Close at Heart
44: Men at Work
45: The Catalyst
46: The Big Parade and the Nuances of Adulthood
47: Not Your Typical House Maid
48: Pushed Aside
49: Burn Book
50: Let It Burn
51: Racing Hearts
52: Stained Reputation
53: The One You Need
54: Vanished
55: A Late Goodbye
56: Autumn Leaf
57: Last of Kin
58: Envy?
59: Polaroid
60 PT.1: Stranded
60 PT. 2: Lost at Sea
61: I Saw...Life

6: Rain

424 28 15
By wethenaive

(A/n: This book will have constant time jumps within and between chapters. I hope it's obvious and y'all don't get confused lol)
--

Two weeks of drought had turned into two days worth of rain.

On the first day, Mara watched from under the awning as the rain puddled on the sides of the streets. Murky rivers of trash, ash and dust collected, traveling down the asphalt. The earthy scent was the new fragrance of the city. The smell of the post-apocalyptic times were temporarily forgotten, and the sound of the rain drowned out the silence.

It was almost melodic — the cold rain pelting against windows, buildings and streets.

There were only so many things left to appreciate of the world, and to Mara, rain was one of them.

Mother Nature shed her tears for the lost world, yet cried tears of joy for the new era.

Mara looked towards the center of the street, where her empty gallons were currently being filled. The funnels on the mouths of the gallons helped feed water into them at a faster rate. Water had reached halfway on each gallon, bringing a smile to Mara's face. After waiting for a couple of weeks for the rain to come, and surviving off a couple of water bottles, the rain had finally come down.

Being frugal had paid off.

On this particular day, before the showers, the streets had been unusually empty. An oddly peaceful day ensued after the sunrise, and thus the previous day, marked by rowdy brutes, had been forgotten.

Because of the heavy rain, it didn't take too long for the gallons to fill up — all three were full in less than fifteen minutes.

When Mara snapped out of her daydream, water had filled to the brim of the funnel, spilling out like tiny fountains. At the sight, Mara was quick to step out from under the awning. The spots of water left on her clothes back when she first set up were joined by larger spots of rain. Mara ducked, throwing the funnels back in her bag and gathering her three gallons — two in one hand and the third on the other. As the rain fell, her hair became stuck to her forehead. Water cascaded down her face, into her eyes and down her neck.

Now soaked, Mara entered into the safety of the building, her sigh echoing in the empty room. She put the gallons down and pushed the barricade back in place until she was satisfied. Mara then picked them up again, momentarily pausing to readjust them, then continued on her journey up the flights of stairs.

Mara left wet footprints of her shoes and puddles where she stopped for long enough. Her hair dripped, the water leaving more trails for the draft to dry up.

The room was darker than before, the natural light of day filtered by the dark clouds that filled the sky. Occasionally, lightning would light up the world all at once and in an instant, while the thunder clasped and rumbled. Mara let out a heavy exhale once she stood inside the office. She placed the jugs down, her hair smacking her face and making her put it back into a ponytail using a stretchy fabric.

She looked up, smiling at Jimin, who simply blinked at her entrance, eyes glancing down at the jugs of water and back up to Mara. The ghost of a smile flashed like the lightning of the showers outside.

"You're back, I see," he said, flinching when thunder crackled and shook the building. Mara chuckled at this, unfazed by the booming noise.

"Yep. Was everything okay up here?"

Jimin rolled his eyes, gazing out the window.

"You were gone for thirty minutes. If anything, you've saved me from boredom by coming back."

Though his words were filled with sarcasm, the last part had flattered Mara. She held back, however, from mentioning it. Mara was used to people being reserved and often more introverted than her. She was used to people being too timid to make any requests or even show an ounce of irritation or anger. Jimin was completely different — at least that's what she saw. He wouldn't hold back from making comments or asking for something, as if finally giving into the help that Mara had offered. It hadn't been too long after Jimin had asked Mara for the reason of her helping hand. It had been a question lingering in her mind for a while. She'd never been asked why she helped. She guessed people just took the help they could get and never risked asking about it in case Mara were to take it away from them. Perhaps others were very different than me, Mara would suppose. She wondered if others did good deeds for the sake of receiving a reward, and that giving without expecting to receive was not in and of itself rewarding to them.

Mara knew that she would never expect anything in return.

Well, nothing except a bit of respect, Mara jokingly thought.

She knew that if Jimin were to ever leave, she would definitely miss his bratty attitude.

Mara put the jugs in her hands down, placing the caps back on them and setting one aside. She placed her backpack down, putting her belongings back inside all except for a set of dry clothes she could change into. She pulled a shirt and an old pair of pants out.

Geez, she thought, turning the pair over and analyzing the worn material, I should get new ones.

"Jimin," she called, receiving only a hum in response.

"I'm going to change out into dry clothes. Don't look."

"Mhm," came the reply.

Mara sighed in relief after changing, taking the sopping clothes that had earlier stuck uncomfortably to her skin and laying them to dry on a discarded rack at the corner of the room.

Mara took two of the gallons in her hands, walking over to the boy pensively gazing out the window. There was a gray glow coming from the window that softly illuminated Jimin's face. At the flash of lightning, his features lit up, and in his eyes was the reflection of the downpour.

Mara watched for a second as Jimin entranced himself with the view from the small window.

Jimin hadn't been outside for quite a while.

Mara would leave the window open in the hopes of getting Jimin to breathe fresh air. But in this action there was a limitation, and she feared that Jimin would think of Mara's small office as a prison. She feared that in the hopes of getting Jimin back on his feet, she'd keep him from his freedom. The last thing Mara wanted was for Jimin to feel like he was suffocating in this office he was stuck in with some random girl who randomly decided to take care of him and on the way kept him from walking too much.

Mara didn't want for Jimin to have to be here.

But (and she hated thinking this) he has nowhere to go — nobody else.

Mara worried about what would happen if his group never came back for him.

Though she enjoyed his company, Mara could never wish that on him.

Mara took the last steps to stand beside Jimin. He looked up at her, meeting gazes with her eye smile. She held up one jug, offering it for him to take. He looked between Mara and the jug, his hard stare softening into an indecipherable look.

Jimin blinked, "Thank you."

The jug was gently taken from Mara's grip, Jimin carefully popping the cap off.

Mara did the same and took a drink of the cool water. It went down her throat smoothly, the temperature extremely refreshing for her body.

"Oh," came from Jimin, and Mara looked down only to see Jimin scooting to one side of the chair.

He glanced at her, then at the chair and with his free hand, Jimin patted the space beside him.

"You should sit."

Mara, with a pleasant shock, made her way down to sit.

Despite the lack of space that they could both take up, both sat on the chair that faced the window. Both admired the downpour and drank from their clean water. Mara could feel her heart grow calm, and she hoped that maybe Jimin could feel the same. She hoped that his worries could, at least momentarily, be whisked away just like the ash and dust in the waters that flowed down the city streets.

On the second day, however, the rain was gentle and the breeze was brisk. The sky remained gloomy and in the hours of the night prior, the world had seen an intense darkness.

"It's stuffy in here, Mara."

Said girl turned away from staring at the ceiling, her forehead covered in a thin sheen of sweat. Mara took the wet cloth that lay folded on her neck and sat up. Jimin had a similar wet cloth on his forehead, his falling off after he sat up straight off the wall. Mara had used the cold water from outside to wet the cloths, trying her best to cool them both off before heat got the best of them. The room had grown increasingly humid by the hour, and as the afternoon hovered over the city, it began to take a toll on the two in the hot office.

This was when you really started to miss wall unit ACs and central air systems. Nothing was more of a relief than coming inside to a cool room after a hot day out. Mara missed the old days, but now had to resort to cold rags and a simple life. Electricity was more than just a prerogative, it was a sought out treasure — something to kill for.

Mara would do anything but hurt others for cold air on hot days.

And nothing weird too, Mara thought.

"I know...I can't do anything about-"

Mara stopped mid-sentence by the sight of Jimin trying to cool himself off with his hands. He tried to wipe the sweat away and cool himself off with the rag she'd given him. Upon realization that the rag was just as warm as he was, Jimin gave up the attempts with an exasperated sigh. He looked out the window, again mesmerized by the pitter-patter of the drizzle against the closed window.

More than ever, Mara felt extremely guilty.

She'd restricted Jimin from moving too much, without any consideration of his emotional well being. Being inside for too long would eventually take a toll on people — she had felt it before.

"Jimin," she called, after a moment of thought.

He only looked at her from the corner of his eyes in acknowledgment. He'd leaned against the window sill, eyes previously closed as the rag sat across his forehead. The glow from outside made his sweat glisten more noticeably.

"Let's go outside."

Jimin's futile attempts to fan himself stopped, and he seemed to be looking at Mara as if asking whether she was being genuine, or pulling at his leg — or rather swollen ankle.

Jimin blinked, then said, "Wait what?"

Mara smiled, "Yeah! Come on, it'll be fine."

Mara could see as Jimin's tense body was replaced with a nervous, almost giddy tremble.

"But what about my ankle? You said I couldn't-"

"I said a lot of things," Mara interrupted, "But I don't think that keeping you in here like you're crippled will help you get any better." Mara chuckled awkwardly, scratching the back of her neck as Jimin appeared to be in disbelief. It was almost embarrassing how she used to believe that keeping Jimin inside would be of any aid whatsoever.

"Unless it still hurts a lot-"

"No no no," Jimin hurried out, cheeks turning slightly pink.

"What about the stairs?" He began, ignoring the knowing look on Mara's face.

"You can support yourself on me. I'm here to help you get up and down those flights of stairs."

Jimin stumbled out, "Ah, y-you don't have to. I can just open the window." He looked back longingly at the rain but tried to reassure her as best as he could with a small smile.

Mara could see right through him. Sometimes it was easier to tell he was lying, but other times it was impossible.

"Nonsense," Mara shook her head, "Plus, the water will get in if we open the window. Then we'll have puddles and that will lead to the smell of mildew." Mara scrunched her nose in disgust.

Jimin hesitated, "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Mara walked towards him, "Now come on, before it stops raining." She extended a hand towards him, her palm upwards for him to take.

Jimin stared at her hand for a second of contemplation. Then he nodded, fiddling with his shaky hands before taking Mara's hand.

The drops fell before them lightly as they stood under the awning. The wind had carried a spray of rain, not too harsh but enough to be felt on their faces. Their foreheads, once sweaty and hot, began to dry in the breeze. Jimin hadn't been outside in almost two weeks, and now that he was, he looked like he was enjoying every second of it.

Mara watched as lightning spread across the sky, each strike reaching farther and branching out like trees of light.

They'd gone down four flights of stairs without much difficulty. Jimin had kept a light arm around Mara for support the whole way down.

In fact, he hadn't yet let go of Mara.

There they both stood, an arm around each other for support. Jimin was getting better, and with the swelling going down drastically, the only reminders of his injury were the purple bruises scattered around his ankle.

Mara looked over at Jimin, the small smile on his face dissipating Mara's guilt.

Mara thought of what to say to break the silence. However, with nothing in mind, Mara decided that maybe the silence didn't need to be filled in. Speaking felt wrong in the moment, and Mara didn't want to break such a relaxing atmosphere. There wasn't a single threat, nor a doubt or fear that ran across Mara's mind. Mara wondered if she'd ever feel this way after she no longer saw Phoebe. It was odd.

Usually, she would never get attached to people she helped. She felt sympathy but never a connection.

Why were certain people different?

Mara could only ask, for she didn't know the answer.

And now she had to deal with being attached to a brat who she once thought would be just another passerby that would come and go like a shooting star.

But he turned out to be something akin to the moon.

He came and went — daily — only disappearing behind her drooping eyelids.

It wasn't long before there were a few brutes rounding the corner, but at the sight of them, Mara and Jimin made sure to sneakily get back inside. The night was approaching soon, and with it came the dark. It wasn't suitable to be out at night, for the water grew colder and fell with more force. Not wanting to be at risk for the flu, both headed inside. Mara let the door close behind her and held on to Jimin as they both climbed up the stairs. The process was slower this time as more effort went into half-carrying Jimin.

Mara shook off the feeling of forgetting something and got to the door of her floor.

Both sat in a comfortable silence in the office Mara had called home. She hoped Jimin could call it a temporary home — a temporary snuggery.

Mara could see it in his face: tranquility.

A few days later and that tranquility seemed to drain from Jimin.

Mara saw it clear as day.

The waters came and went, and soon the sun was back again. Mara hadn't gone out in a while — four days, to be exact. Instead of the bottom floor, a place prone to risks, Mara decided to take Jimin to the rooftop. With a makeshift umbrella (or rather a fort) made of a blanket and chairs that'd been left strewn about, Mara managed to keep them protected from the adamant rays of the blazing sun. The sky was blue and clear again, and the breeze blew seldom once more. The view from the rooftop, after settling on an elevated concrete platform, was amazing. Mara frequented the rooftop, but only did so at night. She soon realized that coming up here during the day was a whole other experience.

Despite Mara's efforts to lift Jimin's spirits, Jimin was silent and looked off into nothing. He'd been unresponsive for the passed days and Mara didn't know what to do or say to make him feel better.

Each passing day, Jimin's smile would weaken.

He zoned out while staring at the floor, never once looking up at the view that awaited him. Mara knew that there was something bothering him, and there was only one thing Mara knew of that could make Jimin that upset.

It was an expressionless face and blank eyes that hit close to home for Mara. She had little advice to give, especially when Jimin refused to talk.

Everyday she'd do her own thing and turn back around in the hopes of him reverting back to his old self. However, with little knowledge of what Jimin's "old self" would be, she stood back and watched as Jimin sat there. He was in his own world, and a very bleak one at that. There was not a single light in his eyes, from what Mara could see. And his longing stare at the window made it all the more obvious. His devastation was subtle but inarguably noticeable.

Mara would often times find herself talking aloud to nobody, for Jimin was too distracted by the cacophony of his thoughts clashing against one another to listen to Mara ramble about nonsense.

Now, Mara sat by the window, Jimin silently laying a few feet away from her with eyes focused on the ceiling. Mara had been thinking of where she would go for her next run. She'd been thinking of a large building she'd yet to explore. There was always a risk when going somewhere new, but Mara believed she could handle herself with a machete, and took one for the team.

It wasn't until her eyes began following a pair of brutes as they came up to the entrance of the building.

With confidence, Mara watched as they approached the door, about to step under the awning. She was sure that they would leave on their own once they bumped into the barricaded door.

Mara's stomach fell when the group of brutes simply disappeared under the short awning. Mara waited a few seconds.

Seconds turned into minutes.

A couple minutes turned into ten minutes.

I barricaded the door.

Or did I?

And it was then that Mara realized that in the moment of spending time in the rain, she'd forgotten to barricade the door.

Feeling panic rise and feeling stupid for her mistake, Mara quickly rose from her seat, gathering her weapon and mentally scolding herself for getting carried away so easily. When going to notify Jimin, she saw that he remained in the same spot, with the same expression and unaware of the chaos erupting in Mara's mind.

"Jimin, there's a brute trying to break the main entrance open. I'm going to reinforce the barricade. I'll try not to take long," she spoke, not wanting to make much of the situation. Mara took her machete, beginning to head towards the door.

There was no response once more.

Mara sighed, "Just...if I don't come back, don't look for me, just continue on your own."

The stairway down felt eerie to Mara. The possibility of brutes swarming the exit and keeping them trapped in an infested building had Mara dreading the last step. Mara was hoping that there would only be a few and the thought of having to find a new safe spot would be long forgotten until winter made its way around again.

With cautious and quiet steps, Mara held the machete in combat position, trying to peek at the bottom floor before she got there. She could already hear the shuffling of dragging feet and the low groan and moan of the dead. With a trembling hand, Mara held on to the dusty railing, trying to stabilize her trembling legs. Memories of the cabin in the forest from which she'd barely made it out of flashed in her mind, and she hoped that whatever stumbled into her safe house could be easily taken out.

Mara took a quick breath, tensing her arms to hold the machete with enough strength to instill deadly blows.

Mara took the last few steps down, reaching the doorway of the first floor. Mara hugged the wall as best she could, peeking around the corner of the door to get a good look at the intruders. One door had been destroyed long ago, leaving only one door left that Mara currently rested against. Mara's heart beat loudly in her silence, and she held her breath for a second as the occasion gave little reassurance.

Mara felt herself sag as a large breath left her sweaty body, her tense muscles momentarily relaxing. She then looked back into the first floor of the building and watched as three brutes idly stood about, searching for their next meal where their hope had last been seen. Mara then looked to the door. There, beside the door, was her makeshift barricade, left unused. Mara thought back to the last day it rained, and having to hastily sneak Jimin back inside at the threat of small hordes.

We were probably only seen by one, while the other two just followed the leader.

Mara nodded, wielding her machete and sneaking into the room. Despite there only being three, Mara knew that there could still be a chance of them ganging up on her. Three against one would always be a challenge, whether they were dead or alive. Somehow, the dead still seemed to have mob mentality, something that was very much alive in the living.

Mara creeped up on an unsuspecting brute, swinging her machete back and with a brunt force, digging it into the brute's skull. Mara caught the dead weight in her arms with a huff, a huff that echoed into the ears of one of the remaining two. Mara, knowing that it was inevitable to call attention to the other brutes, simply let the one in her arms fall in a heap to the ground. Mara then let the other two stumble close enough to be penetrated by a sharp, hazardous stick — and not the pleasant kind.

A brute reached for her, letting out a guttural groan. Its boney hands pinched at Mara's clothed shirt, pulling her forwards and opening its slimy mouth. Its rotten teeth were black, and the flesh that hung from its hollowed cheeks was a decaying grey. Mara drew the machete back and swung it across, the brute's head sliced in half by the dulling steel. The next brute was already behind the last, but only managed to graze her arm in an attempt to grab at Mara. Mara took a different approach and aimed directly between the eyes. Unsure if her aim would be accurate, she simply held the machete above her head with both hands gripping tightly on to it, then swung forward as hard as she could. Once the machete made contact, Mara felt the brute fall to its knees. She peeked over the handle and watched as the dead brute kneeled motionless.

Mara kicked at the brute that kneeled before her, held up by the machete lodged between its eyes. It fell to the ground and it's milky eyes stared into oblivion. Mara, with a satisfied sigh, praised the lucky aim. With one look at the bodies, the smile was gone from her face.

"I should have killed them outside," Mara said to herself, groaning at having to deal with three sacks of decaying meat and bones.

Mara opted to kick the brutes until she pushed them outside far enough for her to comfortably barricade the door again. It was difficult, but once the three bodies were disposed, she closed the door back up again and pulled down a latch, obstructing the exit with another shelf. An office couldn't have been a greater hiding place, for shelves lay discarded everywhere and served as good protection from mild brunt forces.

Mara was already climbing up the stairs, happy to be done with that and overall just hoping to get some rest. These passed days, she'd slacked off with Jimin, lying about, terribly sweaty and icky. It was time she began to work for her survival again.

Maybe it was time for Jimin to start walking more often, as well.

Mara opened her floor door, dragging her feet just like the brutes had and walking down the familiar empty hall.

Mara frowned, squinting her eyes at the shelf she always placed in front of her door.

At the shelf she knew she closed back up before making her way down.

The shelf obstructed half of the hallway, pushed out and away from the door in disarray. The door to the office lay wide open.

Mara picked up her step, going from a lazy walk to a run in a matter of seconds. She reached the door in no time, only to see her office.

Her belongings were there.

The chair sat faced against the window.

Her blankets strewn on the ground.

The jugs all counted for.

But other than that, the room was empty.

No Jimin.

——

wethenaive

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53 1 12
When the dead started rising, Y/n, an ex military, found herself protecting her friend Sarah who knows nothing of survival. As they travel from town...
26.7K 881 56
COMPLETED [currently rewriting] When the world goes to shit, its brings the most unexpected groups of people together What happens when polar opposit...
33.8K 1.3K 29
BTS in a zombie apocalypse. They started together, but things changed horribly, the one they trusted betrayed them . This is the story of apocalypse...
15.9K 1.1K 21
The world is falling apart. Is it disease? Aliens? Zombies? The Government? The 7 members of BTS can't explain why everything, and everyone around t...