Resurgence

By Reed-ink

Tari Ibiyemi and Lani Olaere were highschool sweethearts. The embodiment of the term, 'Young Love' that adore... More

Resurgence
Praise For Lake County
Foreword
1. Worlds Apart
2. Stranger Tides
3. The Behemoth
4. Toll Point
5. Relapse
6. The Crusader
7. Chain Reaction
8. Love Thorn
9. Joy Ride
10. Tug Of War
11. Lone Ranger
12. Flood-Gates
13. Pawn Day
14. Alchemy
15. Kryptonite
16. Fused Hearts
18. Silent Noise
19. Death Knoll
20. Fragments
21. Blood Truce
22. Bed-Rock
23. Penance
24. Maze End
25. Stitches
Revolt
Author's Note
Revolt
The Gentleman's Guide To Wooing A Lady
A Galaxy Of Two Stars
Black Rose
Tinted Scars
Update Your Libary
musings of a jaded poet
Singing Tendrils

17. Kill Switch

541 97 14
By Reed-ink

Ideas pull the trigger, but instincts load the gun.” – Don Marquis.

•••

He wasn’t one for serene atmospheres, it exerted some effect on his subconscious and made his paranoia run wild. Possibilities of horrific events transpiring outside his peaceful vicinity would plague his mind, rendering him restless and pedantic resulting in his departure to the uproar of life outside. But now as he sat in the living room of the recently completed house of the Tijanis, taking in its teal velvet paintings, Louis XV–style plump sofas draped in Larsen linen and Turkish throw pillows, an Eden center table with a vintage aesthetic design, classical gold curtains and wool trimmed carpets—his calm wasn’t restless or worried. It was relaxed.

And proud.

They had done more than a terrific job in the execution of their initial sketch and game plan. His previous paranoia stemming from the fact that it was his biggest and most publicized project and so if it tanked or turned out to be lackluster—had the power to blotch a permanent stain on his dauntless, perfect track record. But now it was going to do the exact opposite. Project and catapult it to the next phase of acclaim and honor. Now all that was left was to prepare himself for the changeup.

Ah, Mr. Ibiyemi can I have your autograph in advance?” A smile spread over his features, as his neck craned around to confirm the identity of the incoming visitor. It was Ose of course, in a black overcoat and black Chelsea camouflage boots—his eyes examining the living room, obviously impressed by what he was seeing. “When word gets out about the job you did here, there would be so many contracts from people and fans also. So before you attain celebrity status, how about you do me a solid and give me your autograph?”

Tari snorted, as his friend sunk into the couch across him in the room. “We both know that you’re not doing that because you’re genuinely fond of me. You’re just going to sell it someday that it’s really worth a lot of money and I don’t want anyone to make money off my autographs. They should all come from me. You know, community service.”

“Oh, c’mon like the number of people doing community service isn’t enough. Why do we have to join them?”

“Who does community service in this country aside from the people being paid to do it? And in that case it’s not volunteer work or a good thing, it’s a job where people make money from and the both of us already have jobs that we make a lot of money from. So why make money off my autographs? If your salary isn’t enough, you could sign up now to be my bodyguard so that when the fame rushes in, you’d have extra money to tuck into your pockets. So what do you say?”

Ose shook his head, his fingers dancing gingerly on the arm rest. “I gotta say that you did a great job, Tari. I’m really impressed and everyone at Sky is proud but of course you’re too busy locked up in your own business that you haven’t noticed the new worshipping gazes that the staff has been throwing your way.”

“It’s not about being locked up in my business. It’s about taking my business seriously, especially when it’s very big business. People don’t seem to understand that. Plus, how exactly am I supposed to be less about business? They say you don’t socialize and mingle, yet when you do it they don’t exactly encourage you. Most people would just give me this blank look like they’re terrified.”

“That’s because they are, and they think there is something else to you talking.” Ose replied. “Most people don’t know how to interpret the few times you’re jovial because they don’t want to seem unprofessional when you’re so uptight all the time and then they let it go.”

“And so they should let it go that I’d always be this way, since they’re not even going to give me a chance to proof otherwise in the first place.”

“Ha, very funny.” Ose smirked, sitting up. “That’s like you saying people shouldn’t crucify a slut for being a slut, even if she has no choice than to be one and everything about her life is harsh and they’d never take a step to see things from their own point of view. People are people, Tari. They’re always going to talk no matter what you do.”

“Which is more reason why I shouldn’t be bothered about them.” He pointed his index finger at his friend and waved it. “It’s like being bothered about rain falling, when you’re inside your house and have no cause to step outside for anything. Sure, it changes things but it’s not exactly affecting your own activities outside.”

“Yeah, but if the rain becomes too intense—it could wreak havoc on your house in some way.” Ose protested even further. “Scrutiny and gossiping you can handle when it’s moderate but, when it becomes too much and becomes borne out of hatred and bitter feelings, then there is tendency for people to start doing things that could affect you. Like when you ascend to a position of very high status which is inevitable with your current trajectory path, people would come into a position to hurt you and when you’re not friendly, they won’t think twice before doing it cos friends stab each other in the back, not to talk of you.”

“Yeah, but I wouldn’t be too worried about that because my overseer is the one person who is on my side.” He motioned to Ose and he rolled his eyes. “I’m serious, or you aren’t? You don’t like to admit out loud that we are friends but you could have stabbed me in the back before but you haven’t. You’ve been in the position to in the past, where I’ve told you stuff that could implicate me and all—”

“I’m not the type that would stab anyone in the back,” Ose held up his right hand, disagreeing with him as expected. The man before him could never admit that the relationship between them was built on anything outside work relations. “Even the janitor who never cleans my office well for some reason, and is always giving me some sort of bitter look. I could have turned him over to the authorities, have his salary slashed but what did I do? Nothing. Not everyone is as nice as me, son.”

Tari nodded. “Got it, remind me to buy take outs for the guys the next time I’m at the office. Thank God most of them are men. They say the way to the heart of a man is through his stomach. Surely, it works even when it’s another man providing the food, right?”

“I really don’t know, but I guess you’re about to find out.” Ose said. “But do you really want to do this? I mean it is a sign of gesture and I know they’d all accept it in good faith because they’re all food mongers but what would they think afterwards? That you’ve ascended and have a fatter salary and now you’re bragging to them and shoving it in their faces.”

“Oh, okay maybe I’d write it into a note and paste it on the take outs that I’m not flaunting it and that I’m only being a Good Samaritan?”

“Yeah, sure that’d work—if something happens and all of them reduce in age by twenty five years or something and they become toddlers again.”

“It makes sense, the way they’re beefing and badmouthing for no viable reason they’re technically toddlers at heart.”

“Yeah but you know how toddlers like acting like they’re very much older and really hate it when someone else point out that they’re kids. Especially the males, they like forming like they’re much older. Their head swells a lot when someone else refers to them as a big boy. It works all the time when I’m trying to make sure Daniel doesn’t burst into tears in public. It works magically, you just tell him he’s a big boy and all the tears just stop and return back in.”

Daniel was the son of Ose, and once again Tari found himself at a crossroads lacking the knowledge on how to navigate the terrain. Ose was extremely secretive and guarded about details of his private life and so when he dropped little details here and there, Tari had difficulty responding in the appropriate manner. He didn’t want to take an overtly fascinated approach that’d discourage his friend and make him hoard details afterwards and he also didn’t want to sound apathetic or unmoved which would extinguish his friend’s sudden openness.

“What about when he is inside the house?” He managed to muster, before Ose changed the topic abruptly.

“I couldn’t care less, if he likes he could flood the house with his tears.” Ose shrugged. “Which is scary according to my wife because most fathers are more concerned about ensuring their kids don’t burst into wells while crying, and it’s the mothers that usually don’t care. Modupe doesn’t enjoy them crying, don’t get me wrong but she thinks it’s a necessary evil sometimes when she spanks them.”

Modupe was the gorgeous, vivacious beauty he was married to. Tari hadn’t met her of course, but had stumbled upon a photo of hers on Ose’s tablet sometime when they were surfing through for business. It was some time last year, and prior to that he hadn’t known Ose was married. He had made the obvious assumption that the woman was his girlfriend but his friend had clarified on her real identity and instantly discarded further inquiries. After that, Tari knew better than to investigate on matters bordering on his friend’s private life and he understood anyway. It wasn’t like he was forthcoming with details pertaining to his either.

“Children and marriage are very expensive delights, my friend.” Ose exclaimed and Tari knew that his moment of truth had come to an end. “It’s difficult for a regular man to do without them, sure but it’s advisable that you enjoy your time before you have them to the fullest. If I knew, I wouldn’t have rushed into it so early.”

Ose was in his late thirties and his oldest kid wasn’t ten years yet, so Tari knew he was conventionally young for a man when he married. But he was talking like his marriage had been conducted right after his convocation from college.

“Well, it isn’t like the bachelor life is interesting anyway.” Tari pointed out, causing his friend to erupt in laughter. “What? You know it’s the truth.”

“No, I know that it’s bullshit.” Ose shook his head, rather vehemently. “The bachelor life isn’t without appeal, it is crazy as hell. It’s your life that is without appeal. You’re always working and working, and you never take time off to flex and relax. Whose fault is that? You could club, get into flings with women and enjoy yourself to the fullest? Travel the world and explore during vacations, act reckless and enjoy the sheer goodness of being an adult without responsibilities on your head but you decide to have a bad life.”

“It’s not a bad life,” Tari gnashed his teeth.

“Yeah, when your life is compared to someone locked in the prison—then yeah it’s fun, but to any regular adult who doesn’t dull, it’s pretty much dead. Sorry to say.”

“Yeah, well I’m not complaining—”

“You did complain, Tari. You said the bachelor life isn’t interesting. Those were your exact words.”

“Just because you say something isn’t interesting doesn’t mean you’re complaining,” His friend furrowed a brow. “You don’t come here and tell me about how raising kids are fun and all that, but you love it anyway.”

“Yeah, but I don’t say it’s uninteresting either, besides it is interesting. I only say it’s stressful, which is another thing entirely. Face it, Tari you’re bored out of your mind with your usual routine of life—”

“I’m not bored—”

“No matter how much you love work, the uniformity has taken its toll and you’re beginning to wonder if there is something new to it. Something new that could be appealing and fresh. Deceive yourself all you want, like those sexist women that show up on TV and brag about their successful careers but you and I know the extent of tears they shed in their closets when no one is watching. They don’t have love in their life and that’s one of the most devastating things in life but then it’s too late for them because they’re like fifty years and they can’t abandon that public image of theirs. But it’s not too late for you because you aren’t a celebrity yet and you’re just thirty years or something—”

“I’m twenty seven actually,” Tari interjected.

“Keep on deceiving yourself with those three years like it’s a lot of time—”

“Well given the fact that I’ve been working in Sky for the past three years and I’ve been able to get here, it’s sure a truck load of time—”

“Don’t take the focus from where it really is.” Ose clapped his hands in a bid to silence Tari and it worked as he automatically found his mouth slamming shut. “The truth is that it’s not too late for you to repent from your work oriented life and dabble into other ventures that could benefit you. It’s too late for those people but it’s not too late for you.”

“It’s not like I’m that naïve to think that work is the only thing that matters,” Tari said. “I just—it’s just about the only thing I know how to do right, and the only thing my life is being built on right from the start. You can’t understand.”

“Well, maybe I don’t. Maybe my own childhood wasn’t as tough as yours and even if my dad wasn’t a billionaire, I didn’t have to struggle as much as you did and so I didn’t automatically imbibe the spirit of a hustler you know, but every hustler calms down at some points. Everyone no matter where they come from and how much they work, when they get success, they eventually calm down and relax in their new found wealth. I’m not saying they become lazy, but they take time to enjoy and savor life but not you. Can you honestly mention one thing that you do now that you weren’t doing several years back that you didn’t have money?”

“Well I have ap—”

“Don’t even mention cars or your house. Those ones are basic needs and even if you’re going to mention that, you have just one car and a moderate duplex. A lot of people who don’t earn as much as you do have more cars and a bigger house. Can you see my point here?”

“That I’m a suffer head?”

“You nailed it,” Ose nodded. “You can be hardworking and still flex, Tari. Don’t use every single minute to work. Speaking about flexing and your work, the latter is proud of your achievement and would want you to take part in the former.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Believe it or not but the guys at the office are organizing a cocktail to commemorate your achievement and other inconsequential things but everyone knows it’s mainly because of you.” Ose continued. “Sorry did I just say a cocktail? That’s just a drink. I mean a cocktail party or a formal dinner night, whatever they call it. It’s on the 14th, ah how romantic of them. I just realized it’s valentine day. Now I have a perfect excuse to not think of a wild romantic gesture for Modupe. She’d just follow me to the dinner and we’d have a quiet dinner. She always wanted to meet people from my office anyway, so that feeling would overshadow the fact that the night would be nothing but extraordinarily normal.”

“Wait, what? A ball?” His stomach did a somersault. “Like an actual dinner where we have to wear suits and act all cultured and mannered?”

“Yeah, why does that make you so terrified? On every other day you’re always acting extremely matured and cultured, and your outfits are always pretty much corporate. So? It should be a flight in the park for you.”

His hand cradled his head. “Urgh! Social events are the worst. Everyone pretending to be what they aren’t. Is it compulsory for me to go? They’d probably not notice anyway since the lot of us would pretty much look the same way.”

“Um, what part of this event was organized mainly because of your success on this project don’t you understand?” Ose queried. “You’re like an artifact that they want to showcase to the entire world as regarding your success on the project. There would be a lot of other firms invited, not because Sky scares much for manners but because they want to brag to the others and when their main man with the medallion isn’t around, don’t you think it’s pointless? It isn’t compulsory for everyone, but you my friend it is. I was asked to relay this message to you, especially.”

It wasn’t the setting of the event that made him frightened, it was what it connoted, what it represented, what it reminded him of. Due to the last escapade that traversed the day of the last night when he attended a dinner night—he had gone on to avoid and dodge further invitations because of the catastrophe the last one ended in. The guilt was one that had stayed with him till the current day, and he didn’t think it was wise to revisit the haunted memory. He had stayed from it ever since, hoping fervently that a day won’t come where the power of deciding to be absent wouldn’t be vested in a higher authority.

The day had indeed come.

“I really don’t know what you’re worried about,” Ose was saying. “It’s just a stupid dinner night, where people are going to come in with their dates and mingle—”

“Sorry, did you just say date?”

Ose glared at him like he had asked for his name and identity. “Um, so yeah it’s a formal dinner night so people are bringing their dates. No one would tell you not to enter without one, but everyone is pretty much going to be accompanied by someone. You’d be silly to think you can enjoy your night without one. It’d be so awkward, trust me. Surely you’re not that socially awkward to not know that.”

No one was that socially awkward to not know that.

Now the memory of the previous disaster streamed more violently in his head, causing him ache. The gut feeling that the past was resurfacing, reared its head once more and cackled ominously at him, taunting him that he could never get over the tragedy and the pain would forever stay with him, become him and then they’d be inseparable. He’d be his guilt and there would be nothing left of himself asides that.

“Yeah, okay sure date.” The creaking sound of the door, drew their attention as they traced the origin of the disturbance to the entrance of a new person. The identity he also didn’t need to confirm, because of the immediate dispersion of heat and tension escalation within.

It was Lani in an Ivory cold shoulder beige shift dress and brown Esme natural lace up Espadrille wedges. Her curls concealed one half of her face, while the visible half was void of expression. His heart rate picked up as he thought back to their last encounter and how he was supposed to act now? Was he supposed to address it? He was worried she’d find it nagging and he didn’t want to be insensitive also by acting like they didn’t share a wild, passionate kiss back at his house.

He was totally lost.

“Miss Olaere,” Ose strode over to extend pleasantries, with her and welcomed her to the living room. “I must say that you did a terrific job in furnishing this house, I’m more than impressed. But of course, you wouldn’t be at Graffity if you didn’t have exceptional talent.”

Lani blushed at this lavish compliment, as she was ushered into the seat by his right. “I won’t say I did it alone. I had my team providing good and useful insights through out the journey and I also, had Mr. Ibiyemi over here,” That was when she turned to face him, her expression still flat and emotionless. He wondered how she could pull that off so flawlessly, but then again maybe it came naturally to her. Maybe, she wasn’t feeling anything. “He also had brilliant insights, and we combined what we both had in mind and the end product is this, I guess.”

“I have a feeling that a lot of people would be hiring you to work together in the future once word gets out concerning this house,” For some unknown reason Ose was still on his feet, standing by Lani’s right. “Which would be great because that would prompt both of our respective firms to look into the possibility of a partnership contract that will benefit us all? Now if you would excuse me, I need to get going. I’m sure Mr. Ibiyemi would be enough to provide you with company as you go about your business here.”

With that he waltzed out of the room, flashing a wink at Tari before slamming the door close behind him. Tari didn’t let the silence settle before attempting to talk, but Lani spoke the first word which was quite atypical of her behavior ever since they had reunited last year.

“I was doing rounds on the house equipment, just returning from the kitchen…” Straight to business then. “…And I received a call from Dayo and Tiolu that they’d be visiting soon to check out things. Either on Thursday or Friday, she’s not exactly sure but I just wanted you to know that and get prepared for any form of impromptu call that comes in to alert you on the news.”

“Got it, that’s all right?” He played her business game. “That’s all you came down here to do. Tell me this info and leave?”

Her eyes narrowed at him, but he still couldn’t read any emotion off her face. “Don’t be dramatic, Tari. Do you want me to walk into your arms or something, or call you by your first name while your friend was around? What do you want me to do?”

“Nothing, I don’t want anything from you.” And at that moment, he meant it. If she was going to act hostile and emotionless all the time, then he wanted nothing to do with her. The woman before him wasn’t the same one he developed feelings for in the past. She was too cold and closed off with her feelings which contradicted her endearing trait in the past. As hard as it may be, he didn’t want to have anything to do with her. It was going to be hell, but he had gone through much worse.

“I’d be taking my leave now, see you around.” He didn’t pause to look at the resulting expression on her face regarding how she’d accept the news. He shot to his feet and began to hurry out, almost as if he risked spilling out his emotions if he tarried for one more second.

“Tari,” The voice made him halt in its tracks, not because it was impulse but because her monotone sounded dolor and anguished. He turned around slowly to meet her downcast face, drained of all color as it stared right back at him. “I uh, concerning what happened two weeks ago. I didn’t exactly act appropriately, I was just a bit stunned that that happened.”

“I know you regretted it and that’s why I’m listening to your request and not bothering you about it.”

“I didn’t regret it,” She said carefully. “I don’t know—I just wasn’t exactly ready for it. And I was too afraid to face you after. The same way I was afraid to face you ten years ago, when we kissed in my apartment. You might think I’m not a shy person but well, I tend to do things and chicken out of the consequences later on. I’m trying to work on that, though.”

He folded his arms and peered deeper into her eyes. “So what you’re trying to say in essence is that?”

She inhaled sharply and advanced closer to him. “That it’s wrong to run away from things that we’re supposed to talk about and address. And so we should talk about it now.”

“There isn’t much to talk about, though.” He closed the gap between them, his hands tucked into his pockets. “We kissed because we feel something strong for each other. Or maybe it’s just me, I don’t want to speak for you. You’re going to speak for yourself.”

“Okay,” Her cheeks colored up, as she grinned uncontrollably.

“Yeah, so I’m attracted to you and I can’t control it.”

Then she locked gazes with him, instead of letting it stray around like she had been doing all day.

“Then, don’t control it.”

That was his green light.

One moment they were staring at each other passionately and the next they were engulfed in an intimate embrace, with their lips locked. Unlike their previous kiss that was quite intense, this one was quite gentle. He kissed her like they had all the time in the world, like it was what they were going to be doing for the rest of their life. Cradling her face gently in his hands, like it was an egg that could slip and splatter if not handled with care – he showed her the extent of his feelings without saying more words and she gave him a reply that was more than satisfactory.

Her hands were clipped to his torso, as she snuggled closer to share in his warmth while he let his left hand stray down to her back and beyond, caressing every luscious curve gently and rousing tongues of fire in his trail. She gasped and broke the kiss, only to come up for air for a brief moment before she pulled him in again and kicked up the notch and intensity of the kiss. The pleasure he felt during their first kiss felt explicitly forbidden but now it felt right. It felt like home. He could liken the tranquility and calm to that of a soldier, swallowed by the warmth of his family in welcoming him. He could swim in the waves forever and wouldn’t mind drowning.

He broke the kiss finally, but didn’t relinquish his hold on her face. They stared at each other for what felt like eternity before Lani broke out in a mild titter.

“Okay, so that was hot.” She bit her lower lip, finding it difficult to meet his gaze. She had indeed changed so much over the years. Her confident, rebellious persona had been replaced by a mildly timid one. But not extremely timid.

“Don’t think you can chicken out of this one also,” He stroked the lip she had bitten, gently. “I told you that I had strong feelings for you and I also told you that I’m not going to speak for you. You’re going to speak for yourself and frankly you haven’t said a word yet.”

Her face flushed in embarrassment. “Fine! I’m very much attracted to you, Tari. There you go, are you happy now?”

“I had to be sure.” His shoulders rose in feigned uncertainty.

“I let you kiss me and I kissed you back. From where I’m from, it says that you have feelings of a romantic nature for the other person.”

“You could have kissed me out of pity or sympathy, you know.” He chuckled, claiming her lips once again for a brief kiss. “You have no idea how long I’ve been thinking of doing this…” He trailed off, nuzzling her neck to the side so he plant a kiss on her collarbone. “And this,” His teeth nibbled her earlobe gently and drew a rasp from her. “And most importantly this.” He sealed her lips finally for the climax, with their emotions crashing and billowing all over the place spiraling out of control from both of their wheels. He didn’t stop until his head was reeling in ecstasy and he feared he might lose his stance and fall. He didn’t want to loosen his grip, but she pinched him hard on his rib and he had no choice than to release her.

“We’re sort off in another person’s house. Anyone could walk in on us.” She scolded him, but with a smile as she set her curls back into order. “So what’s next? We’ve wrapped up work and all, we have nothing that ties us together again.”

“Yeah, it’s a pity. I wished we had told each other about our feelings earlier so that during the work, we could have gone into some dark corners to make out for a while.” He said, stirring up laughter in her. He loved her laughter, he realized. It was nothing sensual or arousing, but it was so innocent like that of a child’s. “We could grab dinner some time and go from there. How free is your schedule this week?”

“Oh, really hectic.” She huffed, her hand on her waist. “There is a lot of paper work I have to attend to before the Tijanis come over on Friday…” His face fell. “I’m sorry, really sorry.” She reached out for his hands. “I’d go out to dinner with you right away, but I don’t want to do it when I’m so stressed up and bothered about work. So let’s do it on Friday when we’d have put all of these behind us?”

A thought struck him over the head. “You know what? That Friday there is a dinner being organized by Sky, don’t know the venue yet but I’m supposed to be there as it is very compulsory. It’s to celebrate the success of this project and it’s a very formal thing. Everyone is going to have a plus one and up until you came, I was thinking about the perfect excuse I’d give so I won’t have to attend. Now I have a plus one, I’m very interested in.” His grip on hers tightened, but she pulled away anyway and scowled at him.

“Fine, I’d go with you then. But you don’t feel a bit scared? I mean, everyone at works think you’re this emotionless robot who doesn’t have a love life. Then they’re going to see you with a woman.”

“Yeah and so?”

“Yeah and so don’t you think they would be curious and inquisitive and all that annoying nonsense? I’m not just game for introductions to a lot of people and petty questions. I just want to spend time with you.”

He couldn’t help his annoyance. “Oh, so maybe I should find someone else then since it’s so inconvenient for you. Sorry for asking.”

“No, no don’t get me wrong.” Her hands closed in on his again, but he let it dangle in hers. “You know what? It’s silly, I’m just being a coward. I’d go with you. Friday, right?”

“Friday,” He nodded pulling her in for yet another kiss. The nature of their relationship had undergone a major change and while he was overjoyed, the feeling that the present was following a familiar chain of events roused discomfort in him. But he convinced himself that it was simple paranoia and nothing else.

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

*****

The continuous slamming sound of the rigid surface coming in contact with the wall did nothing but constitute ruckus in the room. Groaning for the umpteenth time, he pushed himself off his bed and dropped his feet to the floor to study the disturbance. Just like he predicted it was David, slamming a rather, ancient, battered torch into the wall and his hands in a bid to revive it. Tari knew it was a futile effort and he had pointed it out several times, but his friend didn’t seem the bit interested in taking to correction and the rest in the room somehow weren’t bothered by it.

“For Christ sake, will you stop trying to bring that torch back to life?” Tari’s fingers dug into his scalp as he growled in annoyance. “I don’t even know where this wrong mentality comes from, anyway. It’s not like they said it in the manual anywhere that hitting it continuously would make it come back to life after it dies.”

“Yeah, but it’s not like African parents saw it in a manual that beating their kids would reset them to their preferred settings,” David spat back, not relenting in his slamming action. “But that doesn’t stop them from doing it, does it? Trust me it works for everything. Electronics and human beings too.”

Tari shook his head and looked in the direction of the study table situated in a corner by his right where Joshua was sitting, cross legged—reading a Supa Strikas comic book.

“So this is about taking out your bitterness from childhood on the torch?” Tari challenged him. He couldn’t relate much to the beating from the parents vice, because most of his teenage life had been with relatives who didn’t maltreat him physically. Although, he had worked more than the average teenager—he hadn’t been subjected to beating but he knew it existed since he had witnessed front row access to watch many of his nephews and nieces getting beaten. “Joshua, aren’t you going to try and weigh in here? Pelumi, you fool I know you’re not asleep.” He called out to the slumped figure on the bunk from across him. “Somebody tell this fool to stop with his nonsense.”

“I can’t because I really want it to work also,” Pelumi sat up swiftly, like he was a bullet and the mention of his name had triggered him. “Before you start to criticize your friend’s action, you should ask the reason why he is desperately trying to revive the torchlight.”

“Asides from the fact that he’s jobless and would mess with every scrap around that he finds?” Tari asked, before turning to face David. “Okay, go on. Humor me, why are you messing with the torchlight?”

“The end of semester dinner night is only a night away, Tari. How could you be so clueless?”

“Yes? And last I checked, no one said that the pass for the event was a crappy, ancient torchlight?” Tari sat up. “And it’s not being held in the woods or something that it would make sense to bring a flashlight, so there is only one reasonable explanation left. You thought there wouldn’t be light on that day and somehow you think that this could act as the main power source for the entire hall?”

Joshua who he thought wasn’t listening in on their banter, chuckled gently but made no attempt to join them. They all had a close relationship with Joseph and vice versa, but most times he didn’t partake in their arguments and debates. David called him a snub because of his attitude on such setting but Tari knew and they all knew that it was simply because he was more matured than all of them in the room. Tari wondered how matured the boy would have been if his background was similar with his but then again he knew practically nothing about his origin.

“Idiot, no that’s not it,” David shook his head, drawing out the stool by his bed to the center. “After the events there would be lights out and that’s when people would walk into the dark with their dates and begin to do nonsense in the bush and all that. This torch here, my friend is to catch them in the act while they’re at it. Pelumi and I are going to be making the rounds on that night. Call us vigilante moral compass patrollers. Oh, we’re going to be spoiling the fun for so many people.”

“You guys are just so pathetic,” Tari said in unbelief. “That’s so immature for even you guys. Everyone is going to know you’re just a bunch of losers who couldn’t get dates for the night but want to ruin it for others.”

“It’s in the dark, no one would see our faces.” Pelumi piled in, his head popping out from his bunk. “Plus, even if they do somehow miraculously because we’d be shining the torch right into their faces directly, we’d take off immediately we break people up.”

“You know that they’re just going to go on with what they were doing after y’all leave right?” Tari shook his head. “You guys are just very stupid. Pelumi and David, those are the new synonyms for the word – pathetic. I’d email the guys at Oxford to include that in their next edition.”

“Call us losers and all that but at least we’re not going to be holed up in our bed when we have potential dates that wouldn’t mind us taking them, but we chicken out instead.” David said, now sitting on the stool in the center of the bedroom. “Immature and silly we might be but you’re worst.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Tari was dumbfounded.

“I think they’re talking about the fact that you could take Lani out to the dinner, because you guys have a little thing going but you refuse to even try.” Joshua contributed to the conversation finally, although his gaze was still on the comic perched on his thighs. “And I do agree with them. While they’re being pathetic and silly, you’re being childish and timid.”

“Who said there is anything going on between me and Lani? The person that has technically avoided me for the past month.” Tari said. It had been exactly a month since their kiss at her house and ever since then the spark between them had been quelled by distance and silence. It was just like he had anticipated. She had only been friendly and free spirited around him because of the project and now that it had been taken out of the equation, her real attitude to people like him reared its head. He hadn’t bother cornering her, texting or calling her for the fear of being brushed off and rejected. If the kiss meant anything to her, they’d have talked about it by now but she had refused to acknowledge its occurrence, probably because she regretted it or it didn’t mean anything to her.

“Look, the friendship between Lani and I is over. She doesn’t even give me a second look when we bump into each other at the faculty.” He continued. “I should be happy that I get thumbs up from time to time. The last time we’re going to talk is when our final review date comes around, which is only two weeks away. After that I’m pretty sure I’d be dead to her.”

“Girls are complex and indirect like that a lot,” Joshua sighed, finally setting the comic book aside. “Have you tried calling her or texting her to talk?”

“I don’t want to be clingy—”

“You aren’t even in a relationship with her and if you were worried about that, trust me I don’t think she’d think about that after an entire month of not saying anything to her.” Joshua chastised him. “It’s better to confirm on the nature of things and know what’s going on than being in curiosity and trying to read the motive behind her actions without talking to her. If I were you, the next time I see her, I’d walk up to her and talk.”

Before he could find another reason as to why such would be dreadful and result in a disaster, the sound of the gentle rap of knuckles on the door rippled the air. Who could it be? It had been a long hectic Wednesday for the entire campus. After Monday, Wednesday was next on the ranking log of energy zapping days. Most people simply retreated to the haven of their hostels and homes after lecture concluded. People hardly visited each other, but they had a visitor and for some reason he knew it was an august visitor.

He excused himself from the room, and made his way to the living room to receive the visitor. Just like other apartments on the campus, theirs was a room and a parlor self contain. It didn’t have much in terms of space and furniture, but it was situated in the secure belt of the campus that combat worries on security grounds.

When his hand grabbed the door knob, he yanked it gently with a gentle force so he could peer through the partially opened slit. For all he knew the person on the other end could be a serial killer or an assassin sent to eliminate them. They weren’t popular people, but a lot of people envied the location of their apartment and could go to the extent of removing them from the equation. To his utmost surprise and incomprehensible joy, it was Lani standing on the front porch with a black duffel slung over her shoulder.

She was wearing a blue tee shirt with a snowflakes pattern, blue skinny jeans and black flip-flops. Her braids weren’t packed into a bun, as they fell into an organized mess all over her face with several strands stuck by her temples. She smiled gently and waved at him, like she was standing at a far distance. Actually, it felt like she was far away in a jumbled crowd.

“Hey, Lani.” He stepped out of the house. “You didn’t tell me you were coming over. And how the hell do you even know this place?”

Her brows furrowed like he had asked her an obvious question. “I can find out the location of anyone that I set out to, Tari. It’s not a big deal. I know people who know a lot of things.”

“Got it, silly question.” He nodded, biting his lower lip. “It’s been a while.”

“Well, school got me really holed up and all. I wanted to call you several times, but you wouldn’t even give me a second look when we bump into each other so I wasn’t sure if it was the best thing to do.”

“What? That doesn’t make any sense because you’re the one who gives me a neutral look when you see me.”

She shook her head and her braids dangled all over face. “I only give you a neutral look, because you give me a neutral look.”

“Nope, you’re the one with the neutral look at first.”

“Look, let’s not argue about who gives who the neutral look, I came here for something important.” She shoved the bag into his arms. It was a suit jacket, it seemed and not a black duffel that he assumed it was and the contents zipped inside felt queasy. “Take that, it should be your size.”

“What’s this?” He frowned, unzipping the jacket. His head jerked backward as he realized it was the jacket they had bought about two months ago at the mall. The birthday present for her brother. “Why are you giving me this?”

“They are clothes, Tari what else do people use clothes for if not for wearing them. Surely, you weren’t thinking I’d give you that so you could use it for a rag because that’s the second function for a clothe. It fits you perfectly, you’re going to wear it to the dinner night.”

“Sorry what?” He zipped the jacket bag hurriedly.

“You’re going to the dinner night with me, Tari and that’s what you’d be wearing. You should top it up with brogues or oxford shoes. Whichever you have and if you don’t, buy or borrow just make sure you get one before next week.”

“Hold up for a second,” He held his free hand up. “First of all, you show up here unannounced and you act like we’ve been talking for the past month when we haven’t. We’re practically strangers to each other currently. Secondly, this jacket is for your brother not for me and lastly, I’m not going for the dinner night and if you’re trying to ask me to the dinner night, you’re not going to boss me about and order me like you’re my mom.”

Her cold expression finally disappeared. “Fine, to your first attack – I’m sorry for not talking ever since then. I just—I have no excuse really, and no answer. Just try to understand that. I want things to go back to how they were before the kiss. Not that I didn’t like the kiss or I regret it…” Her voice lowered. “It just wasn’t the right step forward. Secondly, this suit isn’t for my brother. I went back to the store to get a second for you because it fitted you so much when you tried it on.”

He was pretty sure that the jacket they purchased was the last of its kind as the retailer had called them the lucky ones to grab the last available one in stock. But he didn’t voice it. He knew it wouldn’t end well.

“And lastly, you don’t have to be a big baby about this. We should go to the dinner together. I think it’s the right way forward for us. Don’t you agree?”

“Yeah, well but the last time I went out with you. It didn’t exactly end up well, you know.” That was a colossal understatement but she knew he caught his drift.

“I know and I’m sorry but what are the chances that such would happen again? And furthermore, this is the last thing we could do together. I’m not exactly sure of the type of relationship we would have after this entire collaboration project ends. There is a possibility that what we have might actually end after we turn in our project, so why not just round it up in a glorious, fun way? Let’s go to the dinner together and enjoy each other company before we have to deal with what happens afterwards.”

There was nothing to ponder on, he knew he was going to succumb to her pleas even before she began to explain.

“Okay, alright then.” He held the jacket closer to himself. “I’d go with you and get good shoes for the night also. It’s a good thing that you took the bold step and came here. We needed this.”

“We sure do,” She beamed, before leaning in to kiss him gently on his right cheek and sauntering off into the distance after waving him goodbye. His heart rate picked up at the thought of spending another night with her again, his paranoia – radioactive because of the way their last adventure had ended. But it was just like she said, such thing didn’t happen twice.

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

---------------------------------------

What could possibly go wrong? It all begins in the next chapter. The chain of events that’d lead to the unfolding of the secrets of the past and the danger of the uncertain future. Share your thoughts in the comments and tap that star.

See you, next week. Have a splendid weekend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.3K 11.5K 54
A Romance - Thriller. •~• An accident brings Laura Taiwo to a coma. After a year, she is awake with no memory of the people around her especially th...
20.6K 1.8K 28
#1 out of 946 in projectNigeria 09/07/2020 #1 African community 12/07/2020 After six years of working tirelessly with every other thing in her life t...
5.7K 710 39
After reluctantly returning home from abroad Amarachi is forced to confront all the unpleasant trauma of her past, including fighting the white-hot a...
45.6K 10.6K 37
A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL "You have got your tities out and panties in a twist but your crush doesn't still notice you." Ore is a sixteen-year-old unde...