Attraction | Ateez

By yunjoon

When mental institution nurse Young Hyejin suddenly disappears and convicted serial killer Choi San, a patien... More

Chapter 1: Floor 3
Chapter 2: Conversation
Chapter 3: Missing
Chapter 4: Reflection
Chapter 5: Memories
Chapter 6: Face to face
Chapter 7: Sweet Dreams
Chapter 8: Mistakes
Chapter 10: Silence
Chapter 11: Hope
Chapter 12: Closer
Chapter 13: Black Clouds
Chapter 14: Growth
Chapter 15: Hide-and-Seek in the dark
Chapter 16: Sting
Chapter 17: Dreams
Chapter 18: Watercolor
Chapter 19: Drowning
Chapter 20: The Calm
Chapter 21: Whisper
Chapter 22: Home
Authors Note

Chapter 9: Trust

8.8K 497 291
By yunjoon

Hyejin sat on the floor next to the table flipping through the astrology book San had put there before. She was only skimming through the pages, not really paying attention to what the words actually said. 

She had been with San for a little over a week now, but for her, it felt like years. Over the course of a few days, he had gradually started letting her come out of the cellar and upstairs for bathing and fresh air, but her few unsuccessful attempts at escaping had lead her right back to where she sat now. 

He had also moved a small wooden cot with a blanket and a pillow for her to sleep on instead of the hard cold floor. Although she wanted nothing but her freedom, she had slept on it, hoping that by obeying and gaining his trust, she would come closer to her escape. 

A soft knock on the door startled Hyejin and she jumped to her feet, almost dropping the book. San stepped in holding a cup with an unknown substance inside. He came up to her and handed it to her.

"Here, it's lemon tea." Hyejin looked at him for a moment, motionless. Reluctantly, she took the tea, holding it in her hands and watching as San took a step back. "Do you like lemon?" He asked. She nodded. San smiled and put his hands behind his back. "I bought it from an older woman here in the village that sells different herbs and teas and spices." Hyejin stayed quiet, holding the cup between her two hands. "Try it." He said. Hesitantly, she brought the cup up to her lips, letting the warm taste of lemon flood her mouth. 

He raised his eyebrows, expecting a reaction from her. "Do you like it?" She wanted to spit it out and throw the cup at him, but instead, she said, "Yes, it's good." It's not that it tasted bad, it's just the fact that it was San who gave it to her. His expression was soft and he paused, thinking of what to say next. 

"Would you like to go out for a walk? Outside? I want to show you something." Hyejin was surprised. Outside? Completely outside?  This was her chance to escape. It's like he was just handing her her freedom. He saw her expression and chuckled.

"I trust that you wouldn't try anything. So, if you won't, come with me." He held his hand out to her, waiting for her to take his hand. This might be my only chance. Reluctantly, she placed her hand in his, letting him lead her to the door. He opened it and they made their way down the dark hallway to the steps. 

Bright light flooded the pitch-black hallway as San opened the door. Hyejin had to shield her eyes with her free hand because she was having a hard time adjusting to the harsh sunlight that threatened to blind her. The air smelled sweet like fresh pears and lavender, a weird combination, but a pleasant one to say the least. Hyejin followed San through a smaller hallway out into the living room. There was almost no furniture except for a small low table and a chest with a book that sat under an open window. A soft breeze blew through the house and the sound of young children laughing outside filled the room. 

Hyejin followed San out onto the porch where they stood for a second. Her heart raced and adrenaline filled her veins. She was ready to make a run for it. She shifted her foot, ready to go when she stopped herself. She hadn't realized until now just how tight he gripped her hand. No, you have to wait for the right time. Wait until he's distracted. Make him trust you enough to let go.

Hyejin moved so she stood closer to San, her shoulder almost brushing his. He glanced at her, trying to hide a smile that tugged on the corners of his lips. "Come on," he said. He let go of her hand. For a second, she was relieved, but then he wrapped his arm around her waist, making it even more difficult to escape. 

They began walking down the stone path and on to the wide old dirt road. Small children chased each other around a pear tree while older people watched them from their porches. Some were sipping on tea and telling the kids to slow down so they wouldn't fall, but of course, the children were not listening. 

San and Hyejin walked past a few houses, earning some curious stares, and turned down a small alley between two small houses. He lead her through a canopy of trees until they reached a small pond with white painted stones lining the edges. There were a variety of small pink and red flowers that sprung up between the rocks, poking their little heads out. The trees around the pond cast a shadow on the water, but sunlight streamed through the leaves, making the water look like it was sparkling. 

"It's pretty isn't it?" San asked. Hyejin nodded, watching the little ripples of water shimmer in the light. "Come here though, I want to show you something else." San grabbed Hyejin's hand and walked her over to one of the pear trees. 

"Close your eyes." He said. Fear began to creep through her as he took a step forward. He smirked and gently grabbed both of her hands. "It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you. Just close your eyes." He gave her hands a reassuring squeeze. She closed her eyes and felt his hands release hers. He grabbed her by the shoulders and moved her forward. They walked forward a few steps until Hyejin felt San stop pushing her. 

"Okay, open your eyes." Her eyes fluttered open to find herself standing at the edge of a small cliff that overlooked a large river. The river sat in somewhat of a valley and it was about a 20 ft drop if one were to fall off the edge. Maybe not high enough to be fatal, but it would definitely cause some severe injuries. It felt as though her heart dropped to her stomach. It wasn't the height that she feared, but rather the vastness of the water before her and the fact that she was alone with San. This is it, she thought.

"I remember overhearing you talking to your friends about wanting to visit the Yeongsan River, the week before spring break. You said your parents would take you, but they didn't. I know this isn't it exactly, but..." Hyejin silently stared out at the water, remembering how badly she wanted to see it, to watch the fish swim in the water and run along the riverbed, letting the warm sun kiss her skin and the breeze envelope her with its cool fingers. It amazed her that this wasn't a tourist spot yet. 

"You're very pretty right now, you know that?" San said, gazing at her. Fall for him Hyejin. Trick him. She forced a smile. It took everything in her to turn to him and hug him. She buried her face in his chest and held him tightly. She felt him rest his chin on the top of her head and wrap his long arms around her waist. Hyejin clenched her jaw, fighting off the urge to push him away. The cliff!

They stood a comfortable distance away from the edge, but close enough for an accident to be entirely too possible. In a forced muffled voice, she said, "Thank you." He stroked her hair with one of his hands. He moved his head so that his lips were at her ears.

His voice was a low whisper and he almost growled when he talked. "Hyejin. I thought you were smart. Trickery? You think I don't notice you trying to...distract me? You are foolish, you are. Too obvious. I know at this very moment you are probably plotting to push me over this cliff and run." He paused and moved his head away so that he looked down at her. Fear filled Hyejin's eyes as she stared off in the distance.

Suddenly, he grabbed her hair and jerked her head back so she was forced to look up at him. Scream, Hyejin! San smirked, taking pride in his control over the shaking girl in front of him. He held her tightly, but she didn't dare move. 

"Go ahead, Ms. Young. Push me. It's not hard, just a little..." he flicked his finger and clicked his tongue. Hyejin stayed where she was. His fingers were still tangled in her hair, gripping it tightly. "If I go, you go with me," he said.

There was a sudden sound to their left. Immediately, San's grip on Hyejin's hair loosened, but it still was intertwined in his fingers. He crashed his lips down against hers for a moment before a voice spoke, pretending that they were an innocent couple enjoying the view together and spending time with each other.

"Is everything alright over here?" An old man, aged and wrinkled, no more than five feet tall approached them. In his hand was a worn walking stick which he supported his weight on. San pulled away and looked at him, still holding on to Hyejin. There was an intense wave of nausea that rushed through Hyejin. She stood, trembling, almost thankful for San supporting her.

"Oh, yes, sorry. I just was showing my girlfriend the river. She's always wanted to visit here." He let go of Hyejin and she almost had to catch herself from falling. The man looked from him to Hyejin, looking a bit suspicious. The man stood silent for a moment, studying them, then finally said, " Well, you two be careful. We get too many accidents here from carelessness." Hyejin wanted so badly to yell out and scream for help, but she feared that if she did, San might kill the innocent man. She didn't want any more lives at risk than her own. 

San nodded his head, "No problem. Thank you, sir. We'll be careful." The man dipped his head and turned, disappearing between two houses. Without thinking, Hyejin shifted her foot and made a run for it. 

She broke her way through a mess of tangled weeds and bushes, jumping over a fallen tree that blocked her path. Her foot caught a part of a limb and she came crashing to the ground. Behind her, she heard heavy footsteps. She scrambled to her feet, suddenly becoming aware of the sharp pain in her ankle as she put weight on it. She winced and started forward again.

 San reached out and grabbed her by the shirt, roughly pulling her back so she landed on her back. Her head hit the ground and for a moment, all she saw was black and breathing became increasingly difficult. 

San climbed over her and pinned her arms above her head on the hard-packed dirt. Sticks and rocks poked and prodded Hyejin's back and her ankle was throbbing. She tried to fight back, but he held her in place and she could barely move. She stared up at him. Anger filled her body. Catching her breath, she yelled out as loud as she could. San clamped one of his hands over her mouth, muffling her cry for help.

"Shut up. Shut up!" he yelled aggressively. Hyejin calmed down and stopped screaming. Her body fell still as she looked up at him with pleading eyes. Slowly, he removed his hand from her mouth. Hyejin took the opportunity to spit at him. A glob of saliva hit his face and rage overcame him. He slapped her, hard enough to make her mouth bleed. For a moment, he appeared stunned by his action, but it was quickly replaced with anger once more. 

"Do you have a death wish?" he asked. She clenched her jaw.

"You're going to kill me anyways." She spat. He squinted his eyes at her and got off of her. San grabbed her wrists and roughly pulled her to her feet. She winced as her ankle hit the ground. 

"Now, if you want to live a bit longer, you're going to come with me silently and not try any other stupid things." 

"I'd rather die." 

He grabbed her by the arm and began dragging her past the bushes behind the houses. She fought with him the entire way, ignoring the pain from her lower leg, only focusing on getting away. Screaming wouldn't do any good and attracting attention could get other innocent people killed. 

They finally got to the house where San had been keeping her, but they took the long way around, almost traveling along the entire edge of the village, and entering the house through a back door. 

San aggressively yanked open the door and pulled her down the stairs. She gripped the doorway and wedged her feet between it, trying to make it harder for San. After a few moments of a strength battle, San won. He shoved her down the dark hallway and pinned her against the wall, while with his free hand, he opened the door. 

"You messed up Ms. Young. I was being nice to you and you do this." He pushed her and she fell on the cold concrete floor. The door slammed shut and she heard him locking the numerous locks of her cell. 

She got to her feet and pounded on the metal door, screaming.

"Why don't you just kill me already?! San!" A stream of curses followed and she kept hitting the door until her hands bled. She slid down the door, holding her head in her hands, trembling with anger and hatred, muttering more curses under her breath.

She laid down on the ground and stared at her hand until she fell into a deep sleep that she wished she never would wake up from. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 7.4K 38
San witnesses a brutal murder barely managing to stay unnoticed and get away. But he quickly notices that he is already involved with the murderer wh...
49.3K 1.9K 28
*𝓜𝔂 𝓑𝓲𝓰 𝓑𝓻𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻* Yeosang had a pretty bad life. His mother passed away when he was still young, his father was practically non-existent...
424K 18.4K 64
[COMPLETE] In which Wooyoung is in a toxic relationship none of his friends know about. What happens when his best friend, Yeosang, sets him up on a...
11.8K 919 17
The sceptical girl, Byeol, gets the taste of being haunted through her foolish decisions. She quickly discovers that mental turmoil isn't the only co...