Warriors: A New Beginning #2:...

بواسطة The-Abstract-Pearl

*SPOILERS FROM THE BEGINNING AHEAD***************************************************************************... المزيد

NOTE
Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
I have another series coming soon!
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Epilogue
Author's Note :3 (please read!)

Chapter 19

6 0 0
بواسطة The-Abstract-Pearl

"W-what? Dead?" Midnightpaw stuttered. "No. I won't believe it! I refuse to admit she's dead!" Without waiting for Silkfrost to reply, she dashed off into the medicine den, into her nest. She was alone there, Mintleaf had gone out.

Then she let the tears go down her face, buried in the moss of her nest. Leafdawn wasn't dead. She just wasn't.

"Bloodclaw took her," she murmured between sobs. "Why won't anyone believe it?"

She tried to dream, to see if StarClan could tell her anything, but she couldn't fall asleep. She just lay there, eyes closed, thinking about Leafdawn.

"Midnightpaw..."

Midnightpaw's eyes flew open. Leafdawn? No, it was Mintleaf.

"I can tell there's something wrong," the medicine cat meowed. "What is it?"

Midnightpaw slowly sat up. "Well... you know that Leafdawn's disappeared? The search party thinks she's dead."

Mintleaf nodded.

"She can't be dead!" Midnightpaw exclaimed. "I know she isn't. Bloodclaw's captured her as the rogues did for Wheatwing and me! Leafdawn's alive. But no one believes me... not even Silkfrost." She hung her head.

"I know how much you and Leafdawn are friends," Mintleaf meowed. "But you said that when you were escaping Bloodclaw almost killed Leafdawn...?"

"...He actually killed her," Midnightpaw admitted. "But...but Flowerpaw sacrificed herself to bring Leafdawn back to life..."

Mintleaf's eyes widened. "It's true that I hadn't seen her in a while... Midnightpaw, since Bloodclaw actually killed his own sister, how do you know he won't do it again?"

"Then where's her body?" Midnightpaw retorted.

"He probably buried it." Mintleaf looked away.

"So you don't believe me either?" Midnightpaw gaped.

"How do you think she would be alive?" Mintleaf asked. "Where would she go?"

"I-I don't know..." Midnightpaw wanted to believe Leafdawn was alive. But Mintleaf had a point. Bloodclaw was smart. He could have buried Leafdawn and hidden her scent.

But Leafdawn had to be alive. She had to...

Mintleaf seemed to sense her anxiety and he left the den.

Midnightpaw started to shake. She lay down again and tried to sleep. But Leafdawn occupied her mind.

My best friend can't be dead!

***

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath Highrock for a Clan meeting!"

Midnightpaw blinked open one eye sleepily at Flamestar's call. It had been a half moon since Leafdawn's supposed death, and she still refused to believe.

Sighing, she got out of her nest and padded to Highrock. Emberkit and Riverkit were being ecstatically groomed by Ashheart.

Of course, Midnightpaw thought. It's their apprentice ceremony.

It felt like forever since Ashheart had kitted those troublesome cats. Wavepelt's kits would be apprentices soon as well. And Goldenheart was even saying something about kits with Greeneyes... Goodness! Midnightpaw thought. Lots of kits.

"Cats of ThunderClan," Flamestar began, "we have a joyous event to make up for the sad ones of the past."

Midnightpaw rolled her eyes. They had even done a vigil for Leafdawn... Midnightpaw hadn't really put her mind to it.

"Today we are appointing two new apprentices," Flamestar declared. "Emberkit, Riverkit, come forward."

The two kits excitedly pushed forward.

"Emberkit." Emberkit flashed a smug smile at her brother when Flamestar said her name. "From this moment you shall be known as Emberpaw. Patchfire, you have coolness and skill transmitted to you from Blossomleaf. You will mentor Emberpaw."

Patchfire dipped her head and went over to touch noses to Emberpaw.

"Riverkit," Flamestar announced, "from this moment you shall be known as Riverpaw. Elmwood, Smokestorm taught you courage and strength. I expect you to pass on these skills to Riverpaw."

Elmwood looked excited as she went and touched noses with Riverpaw.

"Emberpaw! Riverpaw! Emberpaw! Riverpaw!" the Clan cheered.

"Can we go training right now?" Midnightpaw heard Emberpaw ask Patchfire.

"I suppose so." Patchfire shrugged.

"Can I do something too?" Riverpaw demanded.

"Of course!" Elmwood laughed.

Midnightpaw's attention drifted from the new apprentices and she drifted into her thoughts. Leafdawn would be a great mentor... An image appeared in her mind of Leafdawn, covered in scratches, backing away slowly as Bloodclaw savagely leapt at her.

Midnightpaw needed to find Leafdawn.

But what if she was wrong? What if Leafdawn was actually dead?

She couldn't think about that.

But there had to be a way to find out if Leafdawn was alive! StarClan hadn't sent her any dreams.

What kind of a medicine cat am I if I'm not getting any dreams? Midnightpaw thought desperately.

Maybe StarClan wasn't sending her any dreams because Leafdawn was actually dead.

Why am I thinking about this? Midnightpaw immediately pushed back the thought. Leafdawn is alive. But everyone else thinks she's dead. Even Mintleaf and Silkfrost. She felt betrayed. How come they won't believe me? She sighed.

"What's wrong?" Vinethistle asked.

Midnightpaw gave him a look. "Nothing."

"Alright." Vinethistle padded away. Midnightpaw watched him go.

"Midnightpaw?" Mintleaf appeared beside her. "It's the Gathering tonight. Do you want to come?"

Midnightpaw paused. Normally she would have definitely accepted. But with so much going on... On the other hand, the Gathering would take her mind off things.

"Okay," she agreed.

"That's good." Mintleaf smiled. "I think you need it."

Midnightpaw nodded half-heartedly. Probably.

As Mintleaf walked away Midnightpaw sighed again. She saw Silkfrost chatting with Vinethistle and felt kind of lonely. Even my own sister doesn't believe me.

She suddenly wished she could have her full medicine cat name. Training to be a medicine cat took a few moons longer than a warrior's training, and she had started a moon late.

Midnightpaw looked at the ground sadly, feeling left out and isolated. I don't have my full name... no one believes that Leafdawn is alive...

Perhaps she would have to go solo this time.

***

"Midnightpaw! Come on!" Mintleaf called.

Midnightpaw hurried to join her mentor as ThunderClan headed out for the Gathering.

Despite the tumbling thoughts in her head, Midnightpaw felt a surge of excitement. She went to Gatherings usually every moon and it was amazing. She especially liked seeing Lilacpaw.

She walked in silence with the large group to Fourtrees, alone again. But she was fine with being alone. A plan was formulating in her head.

Tomorrow night, she thought excitedly. Yes, that'll work.

A smile crept up on her face as she padded alone.

"Feeling better?" Mintleaf asked.

Midnightpaw glanced at him and nodded distractedly. "Are we almost there?"

"Look for yourself." Mintleaf gestured to in front of them.

Midnightpaw looked and gasped. Fourtrees was right in front of them. She could never get over the fact that the four oaks were that big.

ThunderClan bounded into the clearing. RiverClan and WindClan were there already. ShadowClan was also just arriving.

Midnightpaw spotted Lilacpaw and the other medicine cats.

"Lilacpaw!" she called and ran over to join her friend.

"Hi, Midnightpaw!" Lilacpaw greeted. "How are things in ThunderClan?"

"Great." Midnightpaw did not want to let Lilacpaw know that Leafdawn had disappeared. "My sister became a warrior a half-moon ago."

"That's awesome!" Lilacpaw exclaimed. "Your sister is Silkpaw, right?"

Midnightpaw nodded. "She's Silkfrost now."

"Does that make you feel left out, not having your full name yet?" Lilacpaw asked.

"A little," Midnightpaw replied. "But I know I'm getting my name soon."

Lilacpaw nodded. "Me too. I have a brother— he also became a warrior about a half-moon ago."

"What's his name?" Midnightpaw asked.

"Cloudstrike."

"Ooh, that's a good name."

"I know!" Lilacpaw grinned. "I'm so proud of him. Bushstar's going to announce him to all the Clans!"

"Let the Gathering begin!" Rabbitstar declared.

"Ooh, better listen," Lilacpaw whispered.

Midnightpaw directed her attention to the Great Rock. The four leaders— Firestar of ShadowClan, Rabbitstar of WindClan, Bushstar of RiverClan, and, of course, Flamestar. It was a little confusing to have leaders with both the prefixes Fire and Flame, but Midnightpaw got used to it.

"Do you mind if I start?" Rabbitstar asked. When the other three leaders nodded their approval, he started speaking. Midnightpaw listened as he droned on about kits and secure borders. Does he really think we're going to invade? she thought.

Then Bushstar stepped forward.

"RiverClan is doing very well," she announced. "We have a new warrior: Cloudstrike!"

"Cloudstrike! Cloudstrike! Cloudstrike!" Midnightpaw saw a tom looking similar to Lilacpaw stare at the ground, embarrassed when the Clans cheered his name.

Then Flamestar came forth.

"ThunderClan is coping well this greenleaf," he declared. "We have appointed two new apprentices: Emberpaw and Riverpaw."

"Emberpaw! Riverpaw! Emberpaw! Riverpaw!"

Midnightpaw saw Emberpaw puffing out her chest.

"ThunderClan also has a new warrior," Flamestar announced. "Silkpaw has completed her training and has become Silkfrost."

"Silkfrost! Silkfrost! Silkfrost!" Silkfrost sat proudly as the Clans cheered her new name.

Flamestar stepped back, allowing Firestar to speak.

"ShadowClan has had no shortage of prey and is as strong ever." The ShadowClan leader glanced at the other three leaders. "I have to ask you this: have any of your cats been disappearing lately?"

"Why are you asking this?" Rabbitstar demanded.

"Because Nightflower has disappeared without a single trace of scent."

"Well..." Rabbitstar hesitated. "Meadowfall and Featherblaze have disappeared."

Bushstar was silent (and looked a little confused) as well as Flamestar.

"That's weird," Lilacpaw whispered. "No one has disappeared for us. Why would it just be for WindClan and ShadowClan?"

"I don't know." Midnightpaw had a sickening feeling in her stomach. Were the rogues capturing WindClan and ShadowClan cats as well? But why? What was their incentive? She had no idea.

"I don't know what's happening," Firestar mewed gruffly. "It probably doesn't matter."

Rabbitstar nodded his agreement. "I guess this Gathering is dismissed."

The four leaders leapt off the Great Rock. Midnightpaw turned to Lilacpaw. "I guess I need to go now."

"Yeah, me too," Lilacpaw agreed. "See you in a half-moon!"

"Bye!" Midnightpaw trotted off to where ThunderClan was starting to head out of the clearing. Her plan was back in her head.

Tomorrow night she would execute it.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

635 25 21
"The five are stable as the seasons go on. When there is a drift in the forest, a new force comes in. The five will shatter as the dark claws tear th...
945 63 24
~New Cover~ An epic series starts with this book. A beautifully written fan-fiction book from Erin Hunter's Warriors Far off, across the continent fr...
18.6K 753 45
"You are our future..." Three sisters born into the most ferocious Clan in the forest, their entire lives of ahead of them. Riverkit is ambitious wi...
652 16 33
As a new darkness spreads through the lake after moons of peace, StarClan chooses four kits to bear special abilities that may safe the Clans. Coyot...