Been Here All Along

By emilyann-

"Ian Miller was the light. He made everything better and everything easier. When I had to wake up at 7 in the... More

Disclaimers & Cast
00| prologue
01| home
02| enlistment
03| psychological pain
04| seclude
05| reconcile
06| first
07| army man
08| habitual
09| eins
10| worth
11| traumatic
12| woods
13| change
14| over
15| dreams
16| feelings
17| again
18| ajar
19| imagine
20| despacito
21| sanity
22| closer
23| kisses
24| secrets
25| sleepover
26| move-in
27| steps
28| past
29| essence
30| farewell
31| weight
32| forward
33| beautiful
35| agony
36| lost
37| grieve
38| destiny
39| we
40| defense
41| endlessly
42| closure
43| teen
44| stunning
45| surviror
46| news
47| finale
48| epilogue

34| growth

1.1K 55 1
By emilyann-

"I wanna see you shine in the night like the diamond you are." - Khalid

*one month later*
*February*

   Ian's absence is obviously not ideal, but it hasn't been as difficult as I anticipated. I thought it'd hurt worse than it did the first time he left, but I recovered quicker. I'm coping.

   He kept his promise to make sure he stays in touch. He tries to call at least once a week, even if he sometimes can't. Hearing from him is consistently the highlight of my week, simply just knowing he is okay.

    "Josie," Jocey snapped her fingers in front of my face. Her and the other girls pointed out to me that my attention span has dwindled since Ian left though. It's like my mind is always on him. "Customer."

   Hesitantly, I left my phone at the counter in the cafe and went to take the order of the group of teens that just walked in.

   Luckily, they made it easy on me by just ordering waters all around. Just as I was about to start filling the cups, I heard my phone ring the signature ringtone I have for whenever I have a phone call from an unknown number.

   "Hello?" I answered, abandoning the cups that needed to be filled.

   Another reason to be thankful for such a cool and understanding boss like Mr. Westchester is that he doesn't mind when I take a few minute break to take a personal call from Ian. He understands that I only get minimal opportunities to talk to him.

   "Hey, pretty girl." My favorite voice in the whole world.

   "E," I grinned. "How are you?"

   "Always at my best when I'm talking to you." Jocey made eye contact with me from the back of the kitchen and mouthed Ian's name, asking if it was him. I nodded back to her. "Guess what?"

   "What?"

   "I'll be home for the weekend of Easter."

   "That's awesome, E. I can't wait." It's been almost two months since I'd seen Ian, and it'll still be another two until I see him again, but it gives me something to look forward to. "I miss you so much."

   "I miss you too. I'm counting down the days."

   "Me too," I agreed. These next two months can't go by fast enough. Though I wish I was able to spend one of our birthdays together or a major holiday instead, I'll take what I can get. More than anything, im just glad I get to see him soon.

   "I have to call my family, but I love you endlessly, Jos."

   "I love you. I'll see you later."

   Two months. I have to make it two more months without seeing Ian, then I get an entire weekend to spend with him. All the while, I will be thanking God for bringing him back to me.

I put my phone down and finally filled up the waters for the group that was patiently waiting.

"Sorry about that wait," I apologized. They just shrugged and said it's fine. I proceeded to take their order and give it to the cooks in the back.

While I waited for their food to come, considering they are my only table on this early Sunday afternoon, I sat at the counter by the cash register.

"Table for two?" A familiar voice said, snapping me out of my daze I didn't realize I was in. I was surprised the chime of the door opening and closing didn't catch my attention.

"Noah!" I grinned, jumping up and moving around the counter to give him a hug. After hugging Noah, I also hugged Andrea, who I have gotten closer with. Kaila and I try and do something fun with her every time Noah and her come down to visit, and we always enjoy each other's presence. "How are you both?"

"We're really good," he grinned. After knowing Noah for as long as I have, there's some things I have picked up on about him that have not changed. That grin was one of them.

"How good?" I rose my eyebrow. He has something else he is dying to share.

"Tell her," Andrea urged, also grinning uncontrollably.

"Andrea and I just got an apartment a couple miles away."

"You're kidding!" Noah already told me a while ago that he and Andrea agreed to move home to Florida, but I didn't realize that it'd be coming so quick. "That's awesome, I'm so happy for you guys."

Our cook announced the food was done for my one table, so I put a pin in our conversation and ran the people their food and provided them with refills.

"There's more though." More? He better not have gotten her pregnant. She is about to graduate MIT, and a kid is not what she needs right now. "We are now engaged." Noah grabbed Andrea's hand and turned it so the engagement ring on her finger was flashing me.

"Oh, thank God, you had me thinking you got her pregnant," I teased. Noah laughed and rolled his eyes, playfully. "Seriously though, I'm so happy for you guys."

Noah has grown so much since we were freshman in high school. He has grown to be a remarkable, loyal man with goals and ambitions that go deeper than deciphering what the best method for cheating on a test is. I've always loved him and considered him a great friend to me, but I never imagined him being able to withstand a long term relationship, let alone a long distance one at that. He was genuinely prepared to leave behind his home in Florida to move to Ohio with her if that is what she really wanted. Noah Griffith is going to bring an immense amount of happiness to Andrea's life.

   "Thank you, Josie," Andrea said softly.

   Noah told me, after the last time she visited, that he appreciates how welcoming Kaila and I, and even Jocey and Cara, have been to her. Apparently, she has never had many girl friends for reasons he didn't really explain, but she really seems to like us, which I'm glad for. I want Noah to always be a part of my life, and the same goes for Andrea now.

   "Have you heard from Ian recently?" Noah asked as he sat down at a nearby table.

   Our conversation was paused when Trevor walked in. "Hey, Jos, Mr. W said if you want, you can be done for the day. It's raining so the waterpark is closed." Normally, I wouldn't because I don't mind working, but I was hardly doing my job right now anyway.

   "Sure, Trev, that'd great. Thanks." I hung up my apron and clocked out for the day, thanks to Trevor's generosity.

   I rejoined Noah and Andrea at the table they were sitting at and resumed our conversation that Noah sparked. "Yeah, we just talked earlier before you came in actually."

   "How is he?"

"Good, I think," I said honestly. It's hard to tell through a five minute phone call how he actually is, but he seems okay given the circumstances. It does suck that he only gets such minimal time with the phone, so he has to use it to call his family and I. There's been maybe once or twice he called while I was with Mason and Kaila so we all got to chat then. "He actually just got word from his lieutenant that he will be home for Easter weekend."

Noah's face literally lit up at the news, Andrea and I both first-handedly witnessed it.

"You know what we should do?" Andrea said. "We should plan our wedding for the day before Easter, that way Ian can be there. Do you think he'd be okay with that?"

"I'm sure he'd love that." I'm almost positive actually. Ian hates that he has missed out on so many milestones in his friends and families lives, and being home for his childhood best friends wedding would make him so happy.

"Really, babe? I thought you wanted a big wedding? I don't know how much time we will—"

"As long as my parents are there and you are happy, it sounds like the perfect wedding to me."

Noah smiled and gave his fiancée a kiss. "You really think Ian would be down to come home to a wedding?"

"I'm almost positive he would, but I'll ask him next time he calls."

"Awesome," he shamelessly smiled so big it made the world seem small. "I'll be right back, I have to use the bathroom." Noah got up and excused him to the bathroom, leaving Andrea and I alone.

"You're a really good person," I told her, seriously. She wanted a magical, big, perfect wedding, and gave it up without a second thought just to see Noah happy while reconnecting with his old friends.

"I'd do anything for him," she smiled softly. "Plus, he always tells me how much he misses how close he used to be with you all."

The love Andrea and Noah have for each other reminds me the love Ian and I share — unconditional, selfless, and genuine. I can tell that Andrea and Noah are each other's best friends. I can't wait to watch their love for each other continue to grow more and more when they are officially moved back home where they belong.

I'm glad Noah was able to find a girl like Andrea who has changed him to become an immensely better person. I'm so proud of his character development.

"So, ladies, let's plan a wedding, and begin the countdown to when Ian is finally home," Noah smirked as he plopped back down in his chair.

And I loved that energy.

It's only a matter of time before Andrea and Noah are married and Ian Miller is finally home to visit after several long months.

As excited as I am for the wedding, no level of excitement could begin to match mine regarding Ian's homecoming, even if it is only for a weekend.

•••

HAPPY TUESDAY!!! (Yes it did only JUST become Tuesday) I leave for Florida in like 4 hours and I'm so excited guys!!! Never been before!

How cute is it that Noah and Andrea are getting married!!! And making it solely so Ian can come? So cute!

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! :)

Don't forget to...
Vote
Comment
Follow
Share
Check out my other stories!

- Emily

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 267 4
[ SAMPLE ONLY - FIRST 3 CHAPTERS] "He was reckless. He was exciting. He was Theo. And he was a breath of fresh air in my otherwise extremely dull lif...
15.5K 468 22
Paige and Jackson were best friends growing up, window neighbours and the closest people in their grade. That was until Jackson grew up and moved on...
67 2 13
Selena was excited for her first day of going back to Phoenix high as a senior with her best friend, Sofia, but what Selena realized that her childh...
2.2K 142 14
Ella Hanson a 17 year old girl has the perfect life, perfect family, and the perfect best friend. Ella and Bradley has been best friends since the me...