She Belongs To The Billionair...

By HephziLolami

Billionaire's series ~ 1 Kara Wilson is your average twenty years old college student, striving to make... More

SBTTB
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Epilogue
Q and A

Chapter 39

62.1K 2.5K 192
By HephziLolami

Kara’s POV

*
             I was weak. Every fiber in me ached terribly; it was an indescribable feeling that had taken a deep root in my system.

My soul yearned, it kept screaming in an overly high pitched tone but my lips were too weak to utter a single sound and I had no strength to push it. My mind was in chaos as several questions swirled in large and small fonts in my head. I had no answer to any of them.

The bright lights in the passage almost blinded me when I was jarred out of my deep thoughts and into the real world; the same world that held the answer to all these questions circulating in my mind.

“And you don’t know what happened to him?” The voice above my head croaked.

He hadn’t stopped asking me questions since he got here. I was grateful that he was here and he cared so deeply enough to hang around for this long, but I wasn’t even in the mood to utter any word. He tapped me softly. I flinched.

“How would I? I don’t.” My voice was hoarse as I tried not to snap at him. I really needed to be alone right now because I was a bundle of nerves and would easily get on edge if I keep getting disturbed in my current mood.

“I mean, he went to work...came back and…wait, did you notice anything different in his behavior?”

Paul’s expectant eyes were on me as I decided to look at him for the second time since he appeared through the long hallway, the alertness unmistakable in those eyes. I heaved a sigh and dropped my head into my palms, resting my elbows on my knee and feeling my body tense in anticipation from what the doctor would have to tell us.

I looked up at him and bit my lower lip.

“At this point, please I’ll like to be alone for a bit. I’m really sorry but...my head is hurting...” I mumbled in a monotone and slowly cradled my head as if that would stop the constant ache.

He heaved a sigh. “Alright, I’ll get you a cup of chocolate drink opposite the building. Be good.” Paul caressed my hair a little and planted a kiss on my forehead before leaving.

I heaved a low sigh, appreciating the silence that embraced my whole vicinity the instance Paul left. I was grateful he came here and was so concerned about this whole issue but I desperately needed to gather my thoughts together. Stephano was constantly on my mind.

He was the only person I could think of since we got here. His smile, teasing, his cute but rugged jealousy, his ways of letting me know he cares so much about me and then his confessions. He loves me, but I don’t fully know where we stand and it would be great if he can get healed on time. But mama had mentioned mental imbalance and that alone has my heart thumping wildly in my chest already.

And it hadn’t been easy getting him to leave the mansion and to come with the doctor to the hospital.

Stephano had fought tooth and nails, stating with affirmation that someone would come for him and he didn’t want to leave my room. To be honest, he had looked pretty serious about it, seriously mental, dare I say. 

He didn’t want to even leave the bed, and it had been a battle convincing the doctor that Stephano wouldn’t harm me if I tried to move closer and even hug him.

I was the only one Stephano had acknowledged the presence in that room and when I promised I would come with him, he had gripped my hand firmly and allowed me lead him down the stairs. He hadn’t even spared my madre a single glance!

The whole scenario couldn’t be crazier. Whenever my memory flashed back to that time when we were in my room with the doctor, I would feel the wild thump of my heart again. He looked like he usually did some months ago, when he used to glare constantly. The only difference now was that I was the only one Stephano was not glaring at.

The blaring of my phone startled me for a second and my numb fingers fished for it out of my jean pocket. “Yes?”

“Kara, hey.” A soft voice replied. I looked down at my screen quickly. I was fond of picking my calls without looking at the screen and that was a really bad trait I needed to get rid of.

“Diego, hi.”

“What’s up? How are you?”

“I’m fine.” I mumbled.

“I haven’t heard from you in a while dear. What’s going on?”

“Nothing much, really. I’ve just been kind of busy....” I trailed off slowly.

“Hey, are you sure you’re fine?” his tone had a tinge of worry in it and I heaved a sigh.

“Ye-”

“If you insist though. I mean, you’re usually bright and overly chirpy, even on phone. I don’t like your ton-”

I couldn’t contain it any longer. “I said I was fine Diego!”

There was an awkward pause and I mentally berated myself for snapping. The last thing I wanted was to do anything that would make him notice I really wasn’t in a good mood and then get bothered.

“Oh, okay. I’m sorry if I upset you that bad.” He told me softly, a hint of confusion evident in his tone.

I rubbed my temple softly. “There’s nothing to be sorry for. I’m just in a bad shape right now and...yeah, I should be the one apologizing so forgive my manners.”

“It’s fine, no need to apologize dear. I’ll call you some other time. Take care.”

“Thanks, you too.” I muttered faintly and heard the beep sound. I dropped my phone on my lap. Nurses had passed here more times than I could even care to count.

I slouched on the iron chair, wondering when I would be allowed to see Stephano. They had to sedate him when he was finally brought in, because he kept cursing frantically, saying someone was coming for him.

“You’re crying again.”

I tensed for a second when I felt the finger pads of someone caressing my cheeks. I looked up and wiped the tears with the knuckle of my index finger. “Hmm.”

“Here.” Paul handed me a cup of ice cream. I stared at it weirdly, almost questioningly. Knowing Stephano’s state of health at the moment was far more important than any other thing at this point and I didn’t really care if the tears didn’t want to stop.

“He’ll be fine.”

I gave Paul a hopeful look but the uncertainty in his eyes made me shudder a bit. Stephano was going to be okay, but only if a treatment was gotten for whatever was wrong with him.

After what felt like ages, he doctor finally approached us in long strides, our family doctor following behind. He was sporting a deep frown and I instantly became alarmed.

Stephano had been taken to a mental health hospital and anything that had to do with mental illness or craziness or even a kid’s mental slash violent behavior in school was dealt with in this hospital. I’d been introduced to a psychiatrist whom Dr. Pierce, the family doctor could vouch for to diagnose the illness Stephano was currently battling with and give accurate report on the source of his ailment.

My legs couldn’t have carried me faster as I jumped off the chair and quickly nodded the instance he was standing right before me with Dr. Pierce. “Doctor how is he?”

“He is alright Miss Kara, please calm down. He has been sedated as we had to run some tests earlier on. Two results are out while the others won’t be out till tomorrow or the next two days.”

I heaved a grateful sigh as I nodded quickly. The doctor’s brows creased when he saw Paul latching tightly onto the cups of chocolate which were now melting puddles beside me. He gave me a questioning look. “He’s a family friend.”

“Trusted?” Dr. Pierce didn’t look too convinced about them sharing personal information around a stranger and it was understandable. He had known the Alfonsi family for years.

“Ye-”

“Because we need to share some personal details and it would be good if I spoke with someone trustworthy.” The other doctor added, giving Paul an apologetic look.

Paul rested a hand on my shoulder and pulled up the sides of his lips in a small smile. “I understand. I’ll be here Kara. Go with them.”

I nodded in return and followed the doctor to his office, quickly sitting so we could get to business. 

“Okay?” I asked and looked intently into his eyes, waiting for him to tell me what was going on with Stephano. Did he mix drugs up and take something he was now reacting mildly to?

“Well, Miss Kara I acknowledge you on your efforts. I have been with the Alfonsi’s for a long time and knew you while you were growing up. That’s why we’re sharing this information. By the way, I’m doctor Shane.”

“Thanks doc. We are now in a relationship anyway, and I really think that will matter in this case because I really care about him.” I admitted truthfully and slowly bit my lower lip.

“Good to know. Now to business, Mr. Alfonsi has actually been drugged with a dangerous substance.” He took off his glasses and used his handkerchief to clean his eyes and the bridge of his nose. The silence that surrounded me banged against the walls and came back to hit me in full force, boomeranging hare and almost shattering my own sanity. A gasp from my parted lips pierced into the silence that stretched between us for barely five seconds.

“What substance was he drugged with and what will happen to him now? What’s the cure?” I rambled off, fearful for Stephano while my breath came out shaky as I continued to stare at Dr. Pierce.

Doctor Shane placed his two hands on the table, putting his glasses on. “The substance is not all that common but very dangerous. It’s called Sodium thiopental. This was mixed with another drug we are yet to identify and the effect of this Sodium thiopental in particular is that the victim will go into unconsciousness for about thirty minutes when the drug enters his system and after that, there’ll be signs of strange behaviors that aren’t humanlike. This other drug which we are yet to identify the name, is quite rare and still under observation in the Common Wealth Organization....” He continued but I couldn’t hold up any longer.

I just stared right at his forehead as dread slowly crawled up my guts. Who would drug Stephano and for what reason would they do that? Just who?! The questions swirled in my head, even making heat clamp on my skin because I knew I couldn’t provide an answer to any of them. 

Sure internally, he was usually cold and was serious at all times but he was the nicest and most considerate man at heart. No one came to mind as I thought of how he might’ve been drugged because Andre was still uninformed about this issue and I didn’t even know lots of people at his office. Anyone could be a suspect and everyone was a suspect at this time. Also, had he visited anyone who could’ve probably drugged him? Or was he even drugged?

Well, he would have been. He wouldn’t just pop pills randomly...no. Stephano wasn’t the type of person to take random pills. He was more of the careful type who only took things as recommended by their personal doctor because he trusted the doctors judgment.

He was a workaholic that bit I was quite sure of but I knew he wouldn’t take pills to make him more active at work. Whenever he got to know I would be coming home, Stephano would always try to leave work earlier.

“Miss Kara, Miss Kara, are you with me?” Doctor Shane’s concerned voice snapped me out of my frantic thoughts.

I quickly composed myself.

“Uh...yes doctor.”

“So when we get the other result, we’ll let you know and start full treatment and though the substance we identified is currently being battled, he has been given a counter dose for it. I’m really sorry about this.”

I shook my head and gave him an un-amused chuckle. What was there to be sorry for? Sure, I knew he was indeed supposed to tell me sorry, but in my current mood, I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear someone tell me sorry, especially not the man in charge of Stephano’s health.

“Can I see him?”

He looked skeptical, “I’m not sure that will be a good idea...”

“It actually is.” I replied quickly in a small voice. I didn’t trust myself not to choke on my own voice. “I’m the only one he allows to stay around him, so...yeah.”

“I’m actually concerned about you here. He should be awake anytime from now, the drugs were meant to just sedate him for one hour while we ran the test. Has he had anything to eat?”

“No. I need to see him though.”

“Are you sur-”

“Yes doc, I’m sure I need to be with him right now. He needs me.” I added with a sad smile and glistening eyes. Stephano didn’t want anyone to touch him when they were bringing him here but he complied when I held his hands and reassured him that everything was fine. That meant so much to me.

He nodded and got up, leading me out of his office with Dr. Pierce coming behind us.

“I’ll send a nurse to you shortly after I lead you to his room.” I nodded to the both of them and waited for what was to come next.

~°~

           “Stephano....” I heaved a soft sigh. All the events from this morning, coupled with the doctor’s report were beginning to take a toll on me.

“Everything will be okay, and you’ll be alright. I need you to stay with me. Stay with us. Also, I think I’m beginning to like you a bit. I know this wasn’t part of the agreement but it just happened just like you falling for me happened and there’s nothing either of us can do about it. I know you love me too…I’m just a bundle of emotions right now Stephano.” I murmured dejectedly. I dug my fingers into his hair and massaged his scalp softly. Even after twenty something minutes of being here and constantly talking to him, he still hadn’t woken up.

“Do you know I miss you?” My lower lip trembled.

I chuckled humorlessly and reached to peck him on his cheek. He facial features screamed tiredness. He looked worn out. But Stephano was still so good looking that it hurt to look at him.

“I miss you Stephano. You haven’t called me Kara Mia or muttered cazzo under your breath since you left for work yesterday morning.... and I didn’t realize how much I loved hearing you say those little things until now.” I muttered with a dejected sigh. A nurse walked in and handed me a cooler with rice in it.

“Here’s the soup his cook sent your driver to bring over. He’ll wake up any minute from now and since he’s been injected, he’ll be of his best behavior.” She told me with a small smile as while I nodded. I collected the other plate and watched her leave, moving my plastic chair impossibly closer to Stephano’s bed.

I dished out a portable amount of rice and added soup on it, wondering if he could eat the meat or not as I covered it up and placed it on the table behind me.

“Kara....”

Stiffening, I blinked twice and turned to face him. He still knew me! A wide grin spread on my face as I recollected my jumbled thoughts into one place.

“Stephano!” I gasped. “Thank God you’re awake.” I smiled.

Without a second thought, I crushed him into a bear hug and pulled back when he groaned.

“I’m right here, Stephano. Your Kara is with you.” I wiped my cheeks as tears slowly trailed down, sniffing. He just stared blankly at me before pulling his hands up weakly and pressing me against him with so much force that I had to balance myself by placing a palm on his chest.

“Did you miss me?” I laughed lightly immediately I pulled away.

“Kara.” He mumbled and smiled. I died right there, feeling elephants stomp wildly in my stomach. There was nothing more beautiful than this moment.

This man was amazing and just his beautiful smile alone already made my morning, regardless of the situation of things.

I pressed my lips against his in an innocent gesture and slowly moved them, feeling his warmth on me. With every move my lips made, he mimicked me, his confused expression finally morphing into one of calmness as he stared at me throughout the kiss. We both stared at each other.

I finally pulled away and sat back, still smiling wildly. His hand held mine firmly, as if stating ‘I’m never letting you go.’ A shiver ran down my system at the thought and my heart warmed.

“I’m glad you’re awake Stephano. I don’t know who drugged you or if you found yourself in a wrong place at a wrong time but I’ll try my possible best to bring you back to your normal self. You have a strong mind and we can fight the effect of this drug, Stephano. And we will, we’ll fight it together.” I told him in determination.

I fed him the soup in silence, feeling contented because he didn’t make a fuss or reject even a spoon. According to the doctor’s explanation, he was supposed to be acting even a bit aggressive due to the strong drug he’d been injected with, but he wasn’t. Or at least not with me.

Relief flooded through me. That would probably be as a result of his early medication they were already using to counter the effect of the toxic drugs. I pulled my phone out and dialed Andre’s number. Stephano’s hand tightened on mine when I tried to pull away and get up to make a call.

“Alright love, I’m right here. I’m with you.” I mumbled and pecked him on the lips quickly before Andre picked the call.

“Hello? Glad you called Kara, I’m actually on my way to your place. Boss hasn’t been picking my calls.”

“Yes Andre. Actually, we have a serious situation and I need to see you right now to discuss.”

*

So the person drugged Stephano in a attempt to drive him Gaga. What should their punishment be?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

699K 27.6K 65
Sophia Bennett, a 23 year old woman, looking for a job which will pay her enough to use that money to pay off the debt she had taken for her sister's...
736K 22.7K 63
BOOK 1 IN THE ROMANO SERIES (WARNING!!! 18+ ONLY ➡ THIS BOOK CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE AND EXPLICIT MATURE SCENES) Kiara Cambridge is a norm...
276K 7K 63
This is book two in the Lost&Found Series but can be read as a stand alone. *** I heard the bag drop on the table before he grabbed my elbow and spu...
509K 10.8K 31
A 24 year old was left with her baby brother when she was just 18. Having to put her dreams on hold to raise him as if he was her own. 6 years later...