Forever Ruined

By Ruechari

Benjamin McAllister is the Queen's Man working in secret for King and Crown. It riddled his past with intrigu... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter - Twenty four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty- Six
Chapter Twenty- Seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty -Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-seven
Chapter Fifty-eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-two
Chapter Sixty-three
Chapter 64
Chapter Sixty-five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-eight
Chapter Sixty-nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-one
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-One

2.1K 207 36
By Ruechari

Benjamin could not sleep a wink knowing they approached Good Hope Cape. Soon they would dock. Thinking that Clara may be at this very moment somewhere in Cape Town made him want to leap from the deck and swim the rest of the way to reach land.

"Do you really believe she'll be there?" Captain McCullen asked, as his First Mate called out instructions to those in the rigging to adjust the sails, so he could turn the ship to port.

Benjamin's eyes were bright with excitement. "The Queen sent letters to the Cape and our ports in India, it would make sense that Redgrave should, at this point in their journey, need to resupply and if they have, then yes, there is every possibility she may be waiting for me at this very moment."

"And if she's not?" Captain McCullen asked his friend. He did not wish to dampen Benjamin's mood but he did not have the same feeling about this meeting. This woman of Benjamin's has gone through great lengths not to be found, he hoped his friend was not too disappointed today.

"Then I push on to India. I must find Lord Fitton and learn of Clara's whereabouts. If she is no longer in Redgrave's care then I must find where she was last seen."

"But do you not have to escort Lord Fitton back to England?"

"Yes, but I must also know if she has survived this ordeal. My last accounts of her were disturbing, to say the least."

"Tell me," Captain McCullen asked intrigued.

Benjamin informed him of the impressed men and how Clara had managed to get all Redgrave's men and the others to safety but not before being shot by the Lieutenant.

McCullen looked upon him with awe. "You know every time you speak of this woman she sounds more like a myth. You're certain you have not imagined her just to fill your lonely nights?"

Benjamin laughed at this. "I assure you she is very real. I never knew her to be so capable. I have sorely underestimated her."

"Why is that?" McCullen wondered aloud. "Was it not you who trained her? Made certain she was proficient in defense of herself no matter the situation?"

"I couldn't have prepared her for this," Benjamin said but he guessed McCullen had made a valid point. Perhaps he hadn't completely failed her.

"You should have taken her with you. She sounds as if she would have made a rather daring operative for the Queen," McCullen stated breezily before patting his friend's shoulder and getting back to the duty of running his ship.

Benjamin frowned, his hands pressed against the rail. Had he it done it all wrong? Should he have shared his life with her? She has shown herself capable, daring, and brave. Would he have any more reason to be concerned for her well being if she were at his side as opposed to how he felt every time he had to leave her behind?

All good questions for which he had no answers.

_______

By noon they had docked and Benjamin ordered himself a carriage, to be brought to Het Nieuwe Kat, the house of the Governor, located at the Castle of Cape Town. Although called a castle, it is more of a fortress and not nearly as grand as say, Windsor Castle but it was formidable. Its defensive system at the Cape did well to discourage attacks. Actually, Benjamin was uncertain if the Castle was ever attacked.

The Governor would be entrusted with the care of the Queen's letter. Meeting with him would be vital in discovering the whereabouts of Lord Fitton and if he stayed behind as requested.

He exhaled slowly, trying to calm his racing heart knowing he was now just moments away from getting his answer. He silently prayed it would be the answer he was looking for. He closed his eyes and drifted to sleep as the carriage gently swayed dreaming as always of his Clara.

He awoke just in time to see their approach to the right-hand entrance, to the transect wall, that would lead him to his destination. The bright yellow building was a beauty to behold. It amazed him how the color cut down the glare of the sun off the stones in the heat of the day.

He got out of the carriage and entered through what seemed like a storage space on the ground level. The Secunde, who was the second in command of the settlement, met Benjamin before he could reach the upper floors where he knew the Governor's quarters to be.

"May I help, you?"

"I am here to see the Governor. I am an emissary of Queen Charlotte, consort to Great Britain and Ireland. It is of great importance that I see him immediately." Benjamin stated.

"He is not in his chambers. He is at Da Kat, his offices. I will take you there. Follow me."

The young man took him to a different part of the Castle. As they traversed the courtyard Benjamin had seen the Crest inside the split pediment showing the influence the Dutch had on this grand structure. The six crests represented the different chambers of trade of the Dutch East India Company but now Cape Town is under English rule.

The bell in the tower rung out the hour, as they continued their way to the Governor's office. Inside the castle walls, besides offices and living quarters, there was a church, a bakery, several workshops, and a prison.

Inside the castle, Benjamin noticed clinker bricks used as decorative features in certain parts obviously salvaged from the ballasts used in the Dutch ships. The Secunde had stopped walking, finally, they reached their destination. The Secunde rapped loudly on the wooden door and was bayed to enter.

"Governor Cradock, there is an emissary from the Queen here to see you."

"The Queen?" John Cradock looked up and immediate recognition showed on his features. "Mr. Benjamin McAllister, as I live and breathe. You are the emissary?"

"John Cradock," Benjamin said with equal surprise. He strode forward to shake the man's outstretched hand. "When did you become Governor of the Cape Colony?"

"Over the last year. Seems my stint in the West Indies and briefly serving as Governor of Gibraltar has given me enough qualifications for the position."

Benjamin shook his head in wonder. He had served under Cradock briefly when he was part of the Dragoons. "Certainly, you have received the letter by now?"

"I have, but she did not mention who was coming. Only that she was sending an emissary to collect Lord Fitton, to assist him on his mission. Unfortunately, Commander Redgrave has not graced us with his presence as of yet. I imagine he resupplied elsewhere and has continued on to India."

Benjamin felt like a ship whose wind has been sucked from its sails, to stop it dead in the water. He sat down in the chair located across from the Governor's desk.

"I see this news has distressed you," Cradock observed, taking a seat himself. "You are welcome to stay in Cape Town as my guest. I am certain Redgrave is likely to return here to the Cape."

Benjamin's looked up puzzled. "What would give you that impression?"

"It would seem they have commandeered a vessel from a French fleet. The ship has docked here to be reworked and commissioned for our defense. Redgrave, it would seem had a vessel full of impressed men. Those that chose not to sail with him are now here looking for new routes home or settling in. There are however several more experienced crew members that volunteered to sail the ship to be certain it made it to its destination. From my report, it was said that Commander Redgrave and his fleet would be returning here for them on his travels back to England."

Benjamin was already shaking his head in denial. All this way, and still no closer.

"Well," Benjamin stood and so did Cradock. "I will not take up any more of your valuable time. I must, it seems, move on to India."

"McAlister, why waste your time chasing him down? When he is to return here?"

"Because letters were sent to the ports here and to our ports in India, instructing Lord Fitton to stay put until my arrival. So, if he is not here then I have no choice but to push on."

"I see," said Cradock. "Well, if your ship is resupplying and you have the time... may I invite you to dinner?"

"Your invite is most gracious indeed, but I fear I must decline. It is imperative that we set sail as soon as possible and I will need to prepare for the journey."

Cradock nodded. "Should things change, the offer stands."

"Thank you," Benjamin said holding his hand out and Cradock shook it. Cradock ordered his Secunde to see Benjamin out of the Castle and to arrange a carriage to return him to his ship.

Benjamin thanked him again, for his hospitality and assistance. With a slight shrug, Cradock replied, "I am sorry I could not be more helpful."

"Nonsense," Benjamin retorted. "You gave me exactly the information I required. Good day to you, John."

"And you as well, Benjamin."

Benjamin walked back with the Secunde and was secured a carriage to take him back to McCullen's ship, his heart heavy knowing it would be quite some time before he received news of his Clara.

Upon his return, it took but a look for McCullen to know Benjamin did not get the news he was looking for. "So, Fitton is not here?"

"No," Benjamin said. The crew was bustling about, crates being carried on board as he leaned over the rail to watch the waves crash against the ship's hull, with the rising tide.

"No need to despair, Benji. There is always India." McCullen offered.

"I know," Benjamin stated blandly his mood refusing to be lifted.

"Come to town with me. We will have a grand time in this beautiful place before we set sail in the morning."

"I am not in the mood." Benjamin bristled.

"I refuse to take no for an answer. Besides, I have a surprise for you." McCullen smiled and Benjamin took note of the mischievous look he had about him.

"What are you up to?" Benjamin inquired. McCullen only chuckled at his friend's assessing gaze.

"No. I will say no more," McCullen said with a dismissive wave to his had but as he began to walk away he added, "Except perhaps, that I found a man at the dock who had quite a story to tell about... what was that name again... ?" McCullen rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Oh yes, Benjamin Claremont. I am meeting him for dinner."

McCullen reached the plank and looked over his shoulder. "Are you coming?"

It took Benjamin less than a few seconds to reach McCullen who was now openly laughing at him. "I thought as much."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.5K 1.1K 14
What happens when an expedition to Africa turn out to be more than just a study of gorillas as it was planned to be? -This is a x female reader story...
180K 15.7K 34
Can the scent of water be enough? After years of roaming alone, with little purpose to his life, Sam Carthwrite is finally returning to the home an...
156K 9.7K 23
If every young lady likes to be crossed in love now and then, the Vicar Pearce's daughters are three times blessed. Willful and spirited, Rachel refu...
96.6K 7.4K 29
A princess on the run, Briar Aldrich has no choice but to take on the role of scullery maid when Lord Sterling Huntington stumbles upon her in the wo...