DragonFire

By Bailyveld

*THE CHRONICLES OF THEIA IS A REWORK OF THIS STORY. READ THAT ONE INSTEAD - ITS BETTER* Dragons are stirring... More

Chapter 1 - Eric
Chapter 2 - Eric
Chapter 3 - Seth
Chapter 4 - Eric
Chapter 5 - Eric
Chapter 6 - Talya
Chapter 7 - Kharn
Chapter 8 - Eric
Chapter 9 - Seth
Chapter 10 - Eric
Chapter 11 - Kharn
Chapter 12 - Talya
Chapter 13 - Seth
Chapter 14 - Kharn
Chapter 15 - Eric
Chapter 16 - Seth
Chapter 17 - Eric
Chapter 18 - Eric
Chapter 19 - War (part 1)
Chapter 20 - War (part 2)
Chapter 21 - War (part 3)
Chapter 22 - Seth
Chapter 23 - Eric
Chapter 24 - Revelations
Chapter 25 - Kharn
Chapter 27 - Demetrius
Chapter 28 - Seth
Chapter 29 - Seth
Chapter 30 - Demetrius
Chapter 31 - Finale
Author's note

Chapter 26 - Kharn

78 7 0
By Bailyveld

Chapter 26

Kharn stormed from the tent, and threw his hands into the air.

Why must I be such a fool?

He spied Demetrius being taken down the street, and decided to follow. He was still bagged, and people paid little attention as he went past. They took him down an alley, where they opened a sewer entrance and entered. Kharn looked down into the dark hole on the street, and visualized where they might be taking Demetrius. He was above the tunnel connecting the merchant quarter to the poor. There was only one place where Demetrius could be locked away. He knew where to find him.

What am I doing?

He had made a choice, he had chosen to follow The Wanted. Hadn't he?

It was the wrong choice.

He knew that everything would be okay with Kara in charge. The city may even be stronger than it's ever been. Couldn't it?

No.

He kicked at the dust, and wrapped his arms around his knees. Why must this be so confusing? He needed to save Demetrius, or else the city he loved would be without laws, and rules. The other Lords will not support this mutiny, there will be civil war. But the Wanted has the United Forces in their pockets, the other lords would never attack with Macros defending the city. Would they?

He spotted a young runner she was headed to the command tent. Kharn stepped from the alley, and intercepted her path.

"Pardon me sir." She said.

"What news?" He asked.

She eyed him up suspiciously. "I was told to report directly to lord Demetrius, sir."

"Demetrius has been usurped. The Wanted are running things now. Which means you report to me."

Her eyes widened, and she took a step back in fear.

"It's the King." She said. "Eric's back."

His heart skipped. "Where?"

"He's being held at the eastern gate."

He quickly ran through the city. This was it, he'd made up his mind. He would abandon the Wanted, and support Eric as King. It was the least he could do after Eric saved his life.

He pushed past people as he ran through the street. He jumped over a cart being towed by a Moa, the driver shook his fist angrily. He had to adjust his path on more than one occasion, as the collapsed citadel had buried much of the cities merchant quarter. Large mounds of rubble meant climbing was impossible.

He finally arrived at the gate, panting and sweaty. He bolted through the door to the barracks, and found Eric sitting calmly on a chair in a room, with Master Aaron standing beside him, surrounded by bodies. Kharn reached down and felt the pulse of the nearest guard.

He was alive.

He looked back to the King and his sorcerer. Aaron was arguing about something, while Eric looked at the wall, disinterested. He didn't look well. His skin looked like it was itching, irritated and red. He twitched his hand slightly as he sat in the chair, and his golden eyes were dilated. Golden?

"Eric. Aaron." He said as he approached.

"Kharn!" Aaron said happily.

"Eric, I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to see you're alive. We must hurry, your uncle has been over run, The Wanted have taken the city."

Eric finally moved. His eyes bore into his, and Kharn quickly looked away. His glare was intense, it made him feel uncomfortable.

"Oh dear." Aaron said quietly. "We must free him."

"Yes. Come, I know where they've taken him."

Aaron helped Eric stand from his chair, and aided him towards the door.

"Is he okay?" Kharn asked.

"I'm fine." Eric said quietly.

Even his voice was different, it sounded more full, more resonating. It commanded attention, it was just... More.

The three made their way through the streets, slower than he would have liked. It took them the better part of an hour to make it to the sewer entrance in the alley way. Kharn was first to lower himself into the murky waters. The stench made him gag, as it almost burned against his nostrils. Eric was next, as he slowly climbed down the ladder. If he was bothered by the smell, he did not show it. His face was a blank canvass, as he began to scratch his arm.

Something's not right.

Aaron climbed down the stairs last, and closed the lid behind him. They were plunged to darkness. Aaron created a light in his hands, and looked to Kharn.

"Which way?" He asked.

"Down here."

He lead them through the sewers. Careful not to make a sound, he scouted ahead while Aaron and Eric came up behind. Even the smallest splash would echo through the tunnels, and warn people of their approach. He spotted firelight flicker against the wall, and held up his hand to stop. He spied two people hurrying through the sewers, heading away from them. He sighed with relief, and indicated to move again.

Before long, they came across a door in the stone tunnel walls. It was locked. It was what he was looking for.

"He should be in there." He said to Aaron as they approached.

Aaron knocked loudly.
Blood rushed from his body as the door opened.

What was Aaron doing?

A gruff looking man opened. He was in an undershirt, stained yellow and green, that exposed his large chest and broad shoulders.

"What." He said.

"We were told to deliver Eric, and to lock him away with Demetrius."

The man looked Eric up and down, then snorted loudly. He stepped aside and let them through. Kharn was quick to wrap his arms around the man's thick neck, and put him to sleep. He collapsed to the ground quietly. Kharn closed the door and stepped over the body.

"That's just rude." Aaron said, looking at Kharn with disgust.

Kharn shot him a stare. He led them down another set of tunnels, only, these were much shorter. They came to a room with a guard outside. They approached calmly. With a twitch in his wrist, Eric sent the guard  unconscious on the floor.

"I must teach you two some manners." Aaron said, the surprise was heavy in his voice.

They entered the room. Demetrius sat crossed legged in the center of his cell. His eyes were cast down, as he meditated.

"Demetrius!" Aaron called.

His eyes looked up, and he smiled in welcome. He looked visibly more relaxed when he noticed Eric.

"Eric." He said. "You're alive."

Eric said nothing, keeping his dilated eyes fixed on the wall. Demetrius's eyes landed on Kharn's, and he raised his fists.

"You are a traitor. You betrayed me, you betrayed this Kingdom."

Kharn raised his hands in defense.

"I know. Please, I'm sorry. I made a bad call. I only wish to serve you though, to serve house Aranor."

"That may not be possible now, thanks to you."

"Yes it will, I can help you, I will help you."

"How?"

"I have been in the Wanted most of my life. I know people. Names. Faces. You could round them up and lock them away. The Wanted would never trouble you again."

Demetrius lowered his fists.

"You'd do that?"

Kharn shrugged. "I used to follow them blindly out of loyalty. I was so young when my father died on Vulca, it was long after that my mother hung herself from the grief. They took me in, they raised me. But now I realised that I have been raised poorly, by even worse people. I know that now. Let me make amends. Please."

Eric seemed uninterested in the exchange, so Kharn decided it was Demetrius's decision.

Demetrius nodded. "If you do that, you will be redeemed, and not be banished from the Kingdom."

"Thank you." kharn whispered. 

Eric began shaking violently. His eyes rolled into his head, and foam formed in his mouth. Aaron shook his sides, then slapped his face. It did nothing. Eric continued to shake. Kharn looked out the door, to see if anyone was coming. Fortunately the coast was clear.

"What's wrong with him?" Demetrius asked.

"I don't know." Aaron said. "Something's wrong."

"What?"

"I don't know. He's not well."

Eric eventually settled, and coughed up blood. He was breathing heavily.

"We need to get you to the hospital." Demetrius said, concerned.

"No." Eric said. "I'm fine. We must leave."

Aaron helped Eric to his feet by wrapping an arm around his shoulder. Kharn grabbed a torch from the wall, and lead them the way they had come.

"Eric, what's gotten into you?"

His lips curled to into a smile and he waited a long time before responding. Aaron looked afraid.

"Eric is dead." Eric said suddenly. "He sacrificed himself so that I could live on in his body, and stop Harkus."

"What?" They said again.

"I am Azerath, last Golem of Earth, creator of Dragons."

Demetrius looked angry. He looked more than angry, he looked outraged. He said nothing, as he spun on his heel and stormed out from the sewers. Kharn chased him onto the street.

"What are you going to do?" He shouted.

Demetrius waved his hand, and Kharn's knives came flying from their sheaths, for Demetrius to catch them. He matched for the command tent. Kharn chased Demetrius, his feet splashing in the water. Eric and Aaron were left behind, their arguments bounced off the walls. 

What was happening?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

498 92 32
(Book 1 Spring: The Winter Dragon) Fire, Earth, Water, Ice, Wind, Lightning, Mind and Death. Eight Natures, eight Dragons. For millenia Earth was a w...
424 41 26
Adrenaline pumped in my veins as I pressed myself against the large tree trunk, hoping the darkness would conceal me from my impending doom. My heart...
487 13 18
A story about the the differences between to people so a like yet so different. They were destined to meet each other, yet are they fated to love ea...
387 106 34
The war that started it all. Five hundred years ago a war erupted in Elementa when humans started hunting a revered race called the Drekablóð; half h...