Aries

By firedance_icesong

[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her bes... More

Author's Note and Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 27.4
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.1
Chapter 32
Chapter 32.1
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Stolen page - 1
Aries' POV: before meeting her
Aries POV: Lyra
Aries POV: the flame that does not die
Aries POV: an act of cowardice
Aries POV: first kiss
Aries POV: ripped apart
Character Review
Next in series

Chapter 16

60.8K 2.9K 1K
By firedance_icesong

Terribly sorry for the late update. And since I updated this in a hurry, there might be a lot of mistakes. I will look into this afterwards

Dedicated to I_sxicide_I for the amazing comments you left behind!

The air was saturated with a clever blend of spices. The faint scent of lemongrass and ocean implemented the smell from the dishes Kaina was cooking. Rhaze was chopping a few bell peppers while Ant was tasting the curry that was on the stove.

Behind them, Varian and Miguel skinned a goat and Aislynn washed the dishes. The newly mated couple stole glances at each other and there was nothing shy in their gaze. Aislynn and Varian had full blown smirks on their face. At least Varian had the decency to grace a blush on his cheeks. Miguel saw the two give each other a long look and the air was suddenly filled with a hint their arousal before it subsided, nevertheless, Miguel groaned.

Seeing our arrival, Miguel pointed the dagger with which he was working towards Nash, who frowned. "Thank goodness you came!"

Nash rolled his eyes. "I am not thankful."

It was at that time Ant yelped and sucked her finger. Kaina sighed and sent the girl away. When the witch saw me, she gave me a smile that mirrored the joy my sister usually had when she saw me.

Kaina was the daughter of the Zayin of the Northern Tribe, her daughter the future Zayin of Summer Tribe, one of the Great Four Tribes, the Tribes whose Zayins were the Nobles of the Hall. Kaina had two tribes behind her and the two tribes were not something to be trifled with. If she willed, Kaina could announce war and walk away as the winner. This powerful witch was here, with us, cooking barbeque to celebrate new mateship.

"But I am!" Miguel pouted. "I am so thankful that I met you. If not, I would have been the only male."

Varian threw a dirty cloth at his comrade. "What am I then?"

"A mated male!" Miguel said, throwing the cloth right back at Varian who dodged it. "Allow me to rephrase that. I might have been the only single male."

Aislynn shook her head and gave her son a look of pity.

Then he growled lightly behind me. The shiver that ran up my spine had nothing to do with the awakening winds.

"I am talking about the creatures of Earth, Aries," Miguel said, waving the scarper with which he was skinning the goat. "Not a child of Cosmos."

When he said the word Cosmos, that memory that surfed moments ago, flashed in my eyes for a second before it disappeared. But this time, it was rather an image than a collection of voices. An image of a female with long black hair. I shook my head and just like that, it vanished.

Rhaze shook her head. "As if your only worry is this."

"Many are unmated here, Miguel," I quipped, as I took the plates Aislynn had cleaned and placed the nine plates on the table near the stove.

"Lyra is right," Ant said, taking a huge bite of the roasted chicken wing she had stolen from the plate Kaina had kept the chicken. "I am not. Rhaze is not. Nash is not."

At this, Rhaze cleared her throat. "I was."

I nearly dropped the plates I was placing. Aries paused pouring the water into the neatly arranged glasses and gave her a glance. Then he proceeded to fill the last two glass as if everything was normal.

Did Rhaze trust these people? What had they done that got her to open that West Pack has failed?

"What?" Ant said. Then her eyes widened. "Don't tell me you lost him-"

"Rejection," she said curtly.

The spoon Kaina was holding, snapped. Just snapped. The gazes that had been on Rhaze shifted to Kaina.

Without saying a word, Kaina calmly went into the house and fetched a new one. She did not bother to justify her actions as she continued to stir the gravy.

"Rejected?" Ant asked, breaking the awkward silence. "You?"

Rhaze nodded absent-mindedly staring at Kaina.

"B-but you are amazing!" Ant blurted, standing up with the chicken wing. "You're beautiful, cool, powerful and... you were the Delta of one of the Eight Pack! Who was the idiot who rejected you?"

Are you alright? I asked my sister, noting a glint in her eyes.

Yes, she said and there was undeniable evidence of happiness. Perfectly fine.

"He was a human," Rhaze said, dropping the knife next to the neatly diced bell peppers. "Already in his forties. He was married and had three kids when I met him."

Another measure of silence fell over us. I could not just stand there next to Aries like nothing was wrong. This silence was killing me. I had shown my vulnerable face to him and I could not just see him like I had not brawled and been pinned under him.

"B-but he would have felt the bond! He could not have denied it!" Ant protested. "He-"

Rhaze laughed quietly. "It's alright. He would be sixty years now. And since his chosen was a human, he would have just another twenty or so years. I met him twenty years ago. I am over it."

"How?" Aislynn whispered. "How did you survive after seeing him with his family."

Rhaze shrugged and looked at me. With a smile on her face, she said, "Lyra. She saved me."

I locked my brown eyes with her green ones and I was unable to look away. The pride that coruscated in her eyes was too bright for anyone not to notice it.

And it was not just her words that rooted me, but the emotion behind it. She made it sound like I had pumped life onto her body while she was dying. Like I showed her the softness of moonlight against the harsh endless desert of darkness.

All of them looked at me now.

Varian asked, "Lyra? How?"

Rhaze sighed. "After the rejection, I was slowly dying, neglecting my job for a year. Then I saw a baby in the outskirts of ou-West Pack's borders. When I lifted her, she smiled at me and that made me believe in love again, gave me hope that even if nothing appeared to be alright, somewhere something would just click. Would just be perfect. Had I not met Lyra, I don't know what I would have done."

"Now I can see where that love stemmed from. The love in its purest form," Aislynn chuckled. "Lyra was to you, how Nash was to me."

At the mention of his name, Nash scratched his head and supported a faint colour similar to the pink the sky would sometimes wear during sunsets.

"'How Nash was to me?'" Varian asked. "What do you mean?"

"I was alone for more than five hundred years, my love," Aislynn said with a careless smile. "Away from any contact. I loved being in a pack, in a society. Taking that away, I had to battle loneliness. Loneliness is a dark, ugly and a cold thing. I was spiralling in an endless pit, fighting voices and demons with each breath I took. Then Nash came to me. I learnt the joy of another company. Nash gave me meaning. Even now, I would prefer our son over you, Varian, not because I love him more and you less, but because he was there with me in the darkest hours of my life."

When she addressed the young male as her son, his eyes turned misty and turned his face away.

While Varian's eyes glazed, signifying he was speaking with his mate via the bond they shared, Miguel stared at the witch. "Why are you so silent?"

Kaina raised her head, taking her sight from the curry. Her green eyes were bloodshot and her jaws were clenched.

"Just angry," she said calmly. But I could sense a storm brewing behind the serene face.

"Why?" Miguel asked and Aries came next to me and gave him a hard stare.

"Because," she hissed. "I know what it is to be rejected. To see your mate be happy with someone else. I don't wish that to anyone."

"Wait, wait, wait," Miguel began and stood up. "You are not angry because it triggered your memory but because Rhaze was rejected?"

Kaina dropped her spatula. "Should I not be?"

"I find it quite funny," Miguel chuckled. Was his regard for his life that low? Could he not sense the killing intent Kaina was extruding? "Hilarious, actually-"

Before he could finish, he was choking in his own air. Kaina's face was pulled in a snarl and her hands were raised. Her fingers curled as if she was choking him, but her air clasped only air. Silver flecks danced around her fingertips.

Slowly, Miguel began to rise and his legs dangled. This was a Phoenix shifter, had been the Delta of one of the Four Great Pack seven hundred years ago. Even the dungeon bars had melted under his hands. He was being choked by this witch... unless he was letting her take her anger on him. The calmness in his eyes confirmed my thoughts.

"Kaina," I warned. "Put him down."

As much he was doing this to let her steam off, he did not deserve this.

When his face turned a shade of light blue, I knew the limits was crossed and Miguel could no longer fight her. I snarled, "Let him go, Kaina!"

The witch growled at Miguel, but nonetheless, let him go.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I shouted.

Kaina slowly turned towards me and hissed. Her green eyes glowed as she took a step forward. When nothing happened, she raised her hand and silver sparks flew. Her magic hit me, but it was something I could brush off.

Rhaze shouted something, but my blood was roaring. It pushed back her blast of power. Her magic wound around me, not even a fleck attacked a cell in my body.

Seconds passed and I was not growing tired as I expected. If anything, I felt stronger.

She stopped and heaved. "How?"

Aries laughed quietly. "Kaina, you may be related to the Zayins of two Covens, but Lyra is an Alpha herself. She is not just a werewolf, but a shifter. From what I can tell, your magic is strong. Stronger than many Zayins I have seen in my life. But right now, you were hot-headed. Think about it."

Rhaze shot Kaina a strange look as she rushed towards me. The witch was still panting, but there was a painful look in her eyes.

It was Miguel who went to comfort her. But Kaina shrugged his hands off her and went to the curry that had been burnt.

As Rhaze inspected me, I smiled at her. "I am alright. Her magic did not hurt me."

"Even if it could, do you think I would have allowed it?" Aries asked.

I then remembered how he had saved me from my own memories. How he saved me that night during the Heat hit me. He had been doing nothing but saving me.

I coughed lightly. I needed those meditation lessons desperately. I could not have my heart fluttering for each and everything he said and did. I had to have better control over it.

"Why didn't you save Miguel then?" Nash asked.

"Because," Aries said. "He was irritating her up so that she could blow off her stream. He knew what he was doing. If things really got off-hand, he had the fire to call upon. Miguel is a shifter who can damn well take care of himself. Lyra here had not shifted even once."

"Awwww," Ant cooed. "You care? That's new, Aries."

Aries snorted. "Alioth did. I am pretty sure she would want me to take care of Lyra here."

Miguel blinked. "For Alioth? Be serious."

"She..." Aries trailed off. "As much as she was a pain in the back, she was the daughter of my best friend."

I shook my head. "Really?"

"If you don't believe me, ask Megrez," Aries said. "She would have wonderful colourful stories about her sister."

Rhaze asked, "Her half-sister, right?"

He nodded. "Yes. You could say that."

"Alioth's a star?" Aislynn asked. "Like you, Aries?"

The Warrior of Moon looked genuinely offended. "Though she was the daughter of a Warrior and Polaris, she an elite soldier who was Moon's Mate's own guard. She was a personal guard of Luna until that fateful day. Me on the other hand, I used to lead the army of Cosmos and I still do. One day it gave me a message to serve Moon until it says so, and here I am, serving Moon, protecting Amaris and Luna under his command. Alioth is under my command on any day."

Ant sneered. "Narcissistic much, Aries."

Varian calmly looked at Ant. "Why do you listen to her?"

"Because-" Aries began. When Ant looked at him with big eyes, he shrugged. "I am not going to say why."

"So you would rather be ordered by a little girl than say the reason why you are listening to her?" Varian asked.

"Precisely," the star said.

Ant pouted. "There was a reason why you allowed me to order you around? Damn it! Here I thought it was because of my amazing skills."

"I listen half the time to you because I don't want to listen to your whining and yapping. Yes, that's a talent only Leo managed to master."

Ant's pout got worse. Her lower lips quivered. "Whining and yapping? Is that what you think of me?"

"And being dramatic, of course," Aries added.

I chuckled. These two. If only two of them were like this, I could not imagine how it would be with the twelve. Would someone be mature? Or would they be even worse?

Varian stood up. His heart raced against the winds that were stirring to life. I could see a decision in his eyes. What had he decided?

He went over to Miguel and fell to his knees. "Forgive me, brother."

Miguel frowned. "For what?"

"It was wrong of me to ask you something when I could not hold on to it myself," Varian said. "Forgive me for choosing the family I met a few days ago over you who have stood with me in the past."

As understanding passed over his eyes, Miguel gave Varian a soft smile. The phoenix shifter's eyes had a look that said he had seen through time and darkness and he knew where Varian was coming from.

"I should say," Miguel huffed. "At least for one time. Kenna was right. Had you come that day, giving up your pride, you could have been together for centuries."

Varian chuckled nervously. "Sister was always right. I should have listened to her."

Kaina picked herself up and looked at the scene unfolding before her.

"I would have chosen Kenna over you, Varian, had she been alive," Miguel said in a tight voice. "Just because I know what time can do to a person does not mean I would ask everyone to do the same. Just remember me."

Varian got up and hit his friend. "I won't forget you. I won't allow you to forget me as well."

"That's good."

Varian then turned to Ant. "Can you do us a favour?"

Ant rose an eyebrow. "What is it?"

"I belonged to one of the Great Four pack," Varian began. My breath increased when I realised what he was going to say. Aries' swore quietly. "I am still tethered to the Winter Pack. My mate belongs to the Southern pack and my son has never lived in a pack. I would request you to grant authorisation for us three to transfer to Alpha Lyra's Pack."

My jaws dropped. I knew Varian would say something along the lines of transferring with his mate. Never did I think he would address Nash as his son.

Aislynn had a similar expression of shock, if not more pronounced than mine. A single tear rolled off her right eye. Nash simply gaped at the male. He blinked and gaped again as if the words he said could be taken back.

Miguel had a smile that said he knew his friend would do something like this, while Kaina and Rhaze stood there, doing nothing.

Ant cleared her throat. "Are you sure, Gamma Varian? If you were to transfer, you would lose your title as the Gamma."

"I don't think the title of Gamma is more worth than the title of a good husband and a father," Varian smiled. "Aislynn's and Nash's happiness means more to me than a simple status."

Princess Antlia nodded, her brown eyes sharp. "I shall grant you the permission to transfer to Alpha Lyra's pack, that is if she wants."

Varian nodded and turned towards me. "Will you, Alpha Lyra, take us, Varian Rykar, Aislynn Fall and Nash into your pack?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. The love he had for Aislynn could burn the world down. This was the kind of love Luna gave. The kind of love that thrived between mates.

"Yes," I croaked, taking the knife Kaina offered. "Yes, you and your family are granted permission to be part of my pack. Say and repeat with me-"

********

The second they joined the pack, I felt a difference in me and the pack link. The link was stronger. Confidence grew in me. Was it from more people joining the pack or was it because three Shifters had joined, I did not know. Whatever it was, the feeling was good.

The barbeque went on until the sky became tired of the blue garb it wore. After having a thorough discussion with its friends, it came out with a stunning orange by the time we finished the food.

From where I sat, I could see everyone. Aries was silently observing. Ant was fighting with Nash for the last piece of chocolate cake. Aislynn and Kaina were talking about the mating ceremony in a Magyc's Tribe, while Varian and Rhaze were busily eating.

Thank you, his voice echoed in my mind.

For what? I asked, taking a sip of water.

For... for allowing me to be a part of your pack, he said hesitantly.

If not you, who else would I take? You were there for me when I was in the dungeons, Miguel. You are very important to me. My only regret is that I could not give you any title.

He huffed. Taking me in was nice enough. No need for titles.

Soon after Varian and his family had joined the pack, two things had happened. Nash had quietly said he would take Varian's family name and Miguel joined my pack too. While I had suspected the latter to happen sooner, I never expected Nash would take Varian's name. Aislynn cried when he had made that statement.

After Ant had won her fight with Nash, she gobbled the last piece, leaving the boy with a pout.

"Where are we having dinner?" Miguel asked, burping.

I shot him an incredulous look. Was this guy serious? He had just finished a feast. And he was hungry already?

"Are you growing a monster in you?" Nash asked him with his eyes wide. "It's nearly six in the evening and your thoughts is already about dinner?"

Varian sighed. "With him in our pack, Alpha, don't ever question when money dwindles."

Ant pouted. "I say. It is a good question, Miguel. Where do we go for dinner?"

Aislynn gaped at her. "What are you? You literally ate the entire two layers cake we had ordered along with other foods! You are hungry already?"

Ant sniffed. "I am a growing child. I need more food."

Aries sighed. "You are going to bed after taking a glass of hot water. No more food for you."

"B-but, Aries!" Ant whined.

"No-"

Their voices were a distant buzz as he made the connection.

I was no longer sitting with my family, but I was running. From what I did not know. But I knew something was chasing me. Next to me, my friend was keeping his pace with mine. His brown eyes were frantic and his mouse-brown hair had grown longer than Andrew usually allowed it to grow.

Alpha! Brent cried.

Blinking, I realised I was seeing what he was seeing.

Brent! I replied. How are you?

Escaping West Pack is proving to be more difficult. They have joined hands with the North Pack. The Northern wolves are hunting us.

Nodding to Aries, I got up from my seat and went far away from the joyous environment. Rhaze gave me a measured look but she stayed in her seat at my unsaid command.

Where are you exactly? I asked.

We just escaped Alpha Eric's pack, a smaller pack affiliated with North Pack. We are running East.

Stay on your course, I said. When you reach the borders of East Coven, give me a call or if anything serious had happened give me a call.

Even though he did not verbally agree, I could feel his acceptance.

Then I asked the question that was bothering me ever since Reece had said.

Why did Andrew not join?

The answer came after a minute. It was while he was swearing, Harper caught us.

For some reason, I did not believe that.

Then how come she did not catch Reece?

The only person who could act on my behalf was Rhaze, who was with me now and Reece. I had not even given those rights to Mike.

Alpha- he dragged.

I need an answer, Brent, I snapped. I can't allow everyone to know where I am now. Only pack members.

B-but this is Andrew! He protested. You know him well.

Not well enough, I said. After you arrive at the East Coven's borders, give me a call. I shall come. If he swears his loyalty to me, I can reveal where I am to him. If not, he will be sent back.

With that, I cut the connection. I heaved a sigh. I was being a bitch. What I did was mean to him. But then again, in the past, I thought I knew Cain. I could not risk my life, my pack's life and Ant's safety merely for a male I thought I knew. If he wanted to be a part of my pack, nothing was stopping him. But if I ever felt a sliver of doubt, that would be the last time I would see him.

Steeling myself, I pushed the mindlink to find her.

Reece? I called.

Her reply came after two full minutes. When she answered, she was out of her breath like I had interrupted her make-out session.

Yes? She said.

Why Andrew never swore an oath?

She hesitated before telling. Andrew found his mate. He did not plan to join our pack because of it. Then he confessed to his mate about you and how they could join your pack. His mate is a real bitch. She went and said everything to Harper, who then sentenced Andrew to death. Hearing this, Brent went to save him. That's why those two are on the run.

You did not find this important to tell me? I asked.

We never knew how much of a bitch Andrew's mate would be. Trust me.

Whatever, I said. How is my mother, Alpha Violet and Charles?

Her reply came slowly. Liv is taking care of your mother. Alpha Violet and Charles are in the Pack's prison. They are healing or so Cheryl says.

I nodded, then realised she could not see me. Okay. Did you look into what I asked you to see?

Y-yes, she shuttered.

What is it?

Raoul... he is not a mere werewolf, Lyra, she said.

When I stayed silent, she said, You knew that, don't you? Is that why you asked me to see?

Continue with whatever you found.

He is... he is your nephew, Reece said. Raoul is Cain's son.

A/N: How was the chapter?

Leave your thoughts below!

Next will be another bonus chapter.

Until next update,

~Quill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 10.2K 111
"The Moon makes you a half... and then you find your mate. And together, the two of you, make a full" ***** It didn't start with a rejection. ...
2M 59.4K 36
MATE TRILOGY #1 | Being an orphan at the mere age of sixteen, Lyra Dane, with no place in the pack is faced with an ultimatum; to go Rogue or marry A...
34.8K 2.8K 37
Forsaken by the one person who was supposed to love her unconditionally, Red must brave the magic and monsters of the Wylds to find her true place in...
71.6K 3.5K 75
What if all your life you were told your future was bright? That you were perfect luna-to-be, that the boy you love should according to all signs be...