Breathless ✓

由 Selenaedward22

Victoria Forbes, a young aspiring doctor, trudges through yet another ordinary day-a recurring pattern in her... 更多

Description ✔
Prologue ✔
One ✔
Two ✔
Three ✔
Four ✔
Six ✔
Seven ✔
Eight ✔
Nine ✔
Ten ✔
Eleven ✔
Twelve ✔
Thirteen ✔
Fourteen ✔
Fifteen ✔
Sixteen ✔
Seventeen ✔
Eighteen ✔
Ninteen ✔
Twenty ✔
Twenty-One ✔
Twenty-Two ✔
Christian's pov ✔
Twenty-Three ✔
Twenty - Four ✔
Twenty-Five ✔
Twenty - Six ✔
Twenty - Seven ✔
Twenty - Eight ✔
Twenty - Nine ✔
Thirty ✔
Thirty - One ✔
Thirty - Two ✔
Thirty - Three ✔
Thirty - Four ✔
Thirty - Five ✔
Thirty - Six ✔
Thirty - Seven ✔
Thirty - Eight ✔
Thirty - Nine ✔
Forty ✔
Forty - One ✔
Forty - Two ✔
Forty - Three ✔
Forty - Four ✔
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
EPILOGUE
BONUS CHAPTER #1
BONUS CHAPTER #2
BONUS CHAPTER #3
BONUS CHAPTER #4
Actually rewriting BREATHLESS

Five ✔

10.9K 370 86
由 Selenaedward22

The palpable tension continues to linger in the air, and Christian remains ensconced in his self-imposed solitude. The day passes with a quiet exchange of nods and fleeting glances, the remnants of our shared refuge slowly fading into the background.

Late in the afternoon, as the rain outside transforms into a gentle drizzle, I decide to gently breach the fortress of Christian's withdrawal. Knocking softly on the door of the guest room, I offer a tentative suggestion, "Christian, how about we go grab a coffee? There's a little café nearby, and some fresh air might do you good."

His gaze meets mine, guarded yet contemplative. The idea seems to flicker in the recesses of his mind, and after a moment's hesitation, he concedes with a subtle nod.

We venture out into the misty afternoon, the sound of raindrops on the umbrella providing a delicate soundtrack to our journey. The café, a cozy spot with warm lighting and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee, offers a welcomed change of scenery.

We find a corner table, and the awkwardness between us is palpable. The silence hangs heavy, only broken by the soft hum of background chatter and the rhythmic melody of rain against the café's windows.

I take a sip of my coffee, stealing a glance at Christian who sits across from me, his eyes focused on the cup in his hands. There's an unspoken understanding that we've navigated into unfamiliar territory, where the echoes of vulnerability and guardedness collide.

"Thanks for getting me out," he finally murmurs, his voice a raspy undertone.

A faint smile plays on my lips. "Fresh air works wonders. Sometimes, a change of scenery can do more for the soul than we realize."

He nods in acknowledgment, the guardedness softening, if only for a moment. The café becomes a haven, a neutral ground where unspoken words drift between us like the tendrils of steam rising from our coffee cups.

As the tendrils of steam rise from our coffee cups, I sense a subtle shift in the atmosphere. The café, once a haven of quietude, becomes the stage for an unexpected interlude. The door chimes with the arrival of another customer, and a familiar face enters — James, a fellow medical student who harbors a not-so-secret admiration for me.

His eyes widen as he spots us sitting together in the corner. A mix of surprise, disappointment, and a hint of jealousy flickers across his face. With an exaggerated sigh, he strides over to our table, the wooden chair scraping against the tiled floor.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" James smirks, his tone veering toward sarcasm. "Victoria Forbes, sharing coffee with a mysterious stranger. This is certainly a plot twist."

I glance at Christian, who meets my gaze with an amused quirk of his eyebrow. The unexpected interruption introduces a layer of tension, but I maintain my composure, offering a polite smile to James.

"Just catching up over coffee," I reply, attempting to downplay the situation.

"Ah, catching up, is it?" James leans on the back of an empty chair, the smirk still playing on his lips. 

The air becomes charged with an unspoken rivalry, and I feel the weight of James's unrequited affections hanging between us. Christian, seemingly unfazed, observes the exchange with a detached curiosity.

"James, this is Christian. Christian, meet James," I introduce, attempting to diffuse the tension.

James extends a hand, shooting Christian a half-hearted smile. "James Mitchell. Victoria and I go way back. Well, at least I thought we did."

Christian reciprocates the handshake, his expression unreadable. "Christian Vasquez. Nice to meet you."

The café hovers on the edge of awkwardness, caught in the undertow of emotions and unspoken rivalries. I take a deep breath, silently urging the storm of emotions to settle.

"So, how do you two know each other?" James prods, his gaze flickering between us with an air of skepticism.

"We've crossed paths recently," Christian answers vaguely, offering no further details.

I glance at James, who seems unsatisfied with the cryptic response. The café, once a neutral ground, now feels like a battlefield of emotions.

Christian's guarded demeanor takes on a subtle shift, a flicker of protectiveness emerging in his eyes as James continues his pointed questioning. Sensing the change in the atmosphere, I offer a small smile to Christian, silently conveying gratitude for the unspoken shield.

"Victoria and I are just catching up over coffee, James," Christian interjects, his tone firm yet measured.

James, undeterred, smirks and leans in a bit too close for comfort. "Catching up, huh? Seems like there's more to the story. What's the mysterious stranger's connection to you, Victoria?"

I glance at Christian, who now wears a subtle frown, his protective instincts becoming more apparent. I decide to address James directly, attempting to steer the conversation away from uncomfortable territories.

"James, it's really not that mysterious. We're just getting to know each other. No hidden agendas," I assert, hoping to diffuse the tension.

James, however, seems determined to press on. "Victoria, you've always been one for surprises. Who is he? I've never seen you with him before."

Christian's jaw tightens, a silent warning to James. Sensing the growing discomfort, I decide it's time to put an end to the impromptu interrogation.

"James, I appreciate your concern, but there's truly nothing more to it. Christian and I are just having a casual conversation. Now, if you'll excuse us, we were enjoying our coffee," I say, firmness lacing my words.

James seems to finally catch on to the subtle cues. With a reluctant nod, he retreats, shooting one last lingering look at Christian before making his way back to the entrance of the café.

As the door chimes with his exit, the atmosphere settles into an uneasy calm. I turn to Christian, offering a grateful smile for his silent support.

"Thanks for handling that," I say, my voice soft.

Christian shrugs, his protectiveness still evident in his gaze. "No problem. Some people just don't know when to back off."

Our coffee, momentarily forgotten, has cooled to a tepid temperature.

"Do you have any plans for today?" Christian asks absentmindedly, trying to change the topic.

"Yeah, I'll be visiting the children's cancer hospital today," I tell with a smile. "After that I'll head over to the hospital for my shift."

Christian's gaze softens as he takes in my words about visiting the children's cancer hospital. There's a flicker of something in his eyes, a vulnerability that momentarily pierces through the guarded exterior. I sense a shift in the air, as if the storm within him has momentarily subsided.

"That's a wonderful thing to do," he responds, his voice carrying a note of sincerity. "Those kids will appreciate the company."

I nod, appreciating his genuine response. "I've been doing it for a while now. It started during my residency. It's a small gesture, but if it brings a smile to their faces, it's worth it."

Christian's eyes hold a quiet admiration, and for a moment, the barriers between us seem to fade. I decide to take the opportunity to learn more about him, curious about the man behind the mysterious facade.

"What about you?" I ask, a casual inquiry. "Do you have any plans for today?"

He hesitates for a moment, as if weighing whether to share his plans. "Not much, just taking it easy for now."

I respect his privacy, not pushing further. Instead, I offer a warm smile. "Well, if you ever want to join me at the hospital, you're more than welcome. The kids love meeting new people, and it can be quite uplifting."

Christian's expression softens further, and a fleeting warmth enters his eyes. "Maybe I'll take you up on that offer someday."

As we finish our now lukewarm coffees, there's a newfound ease between us. The encounter with James, though momentarily unsettling, has paved the way for a different kind of connection. The air is charged with unspoken emotions, and I realize that both of us carry our own burdens, our own storms.

As we step out of the café into the clearing weather, the raindrops have transformed into glistening droplets on leaves. Christian walks beside me, and there's a subtle comfort in the shared silence. The world seems to exhale after the storm, and in that moment, I feel a tentative connection with the enigmatic man by my side.

Little do I know, Christian carries a secret storm within him, a silent tempest that he chooses to shield from the world. I sense that, perhaps, there's more to Christian's story than meets the eye.

...

I changed the whole cafe scene. I'm so happy, hehe <3

its not cringe anymore :)

Chico is <3 (the pic attached ^)

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

207 12 9
A serial killer as-well-as a top student at his former school. Being blinded by his mother's selfish desires, he ends up choosing a path that could u...
37.5K 2.1K 50
Shiloh Hanson's life has been all about surviving. He has had to focus on school while dealing with the added pressures of working to be able to prov...
923 318 38
Book 2 in the Annoyance Series. "I don't really know anything about love, all I know is that this started in the weirdest way and I didn't see it co...
337 6 28
Bailey Summers, a new student at a problematic school. Between the struggles of trying to fit in whilst beind a desperate people pleaser, he finds hi...