Natalie |Beyond Heights|

By dawndwrites

Natalie Bingham and Miles Pennington ****** Natalie Bingham always knew she was adopted. She has a very lovin... More

|Prologue|
|One|
|Two|
|Three|
|Four|
|Five|
|Six|
|Seven|
|Eight|
|Nine|
|Ten|
|Eleven|
|Twelve|
|Thirteen|
|Fifteen|
|Sixteen|
|Seventeen|
|Eighteen|
|Nineteen|
|Twenty|
|Twenty-One|
|Twenty-Two|
|Twenty-Three|
|Twenty-Four|
|Twenty-Five|
|Twenty-Six|
|Twenty-Seven|
|Twenty-Eight|
|Twenty-Nine|
|Thirty|
Epilougue
A Pennington Story (Book 1 and Book 2)

|Fourteen|

844 75 24
By dawndwrites

Natalie

*****

I was looking forward to today, as if it were my very first book signing. This one was special. My whole family, including the Dunbars and Penningtons were coming. One very special Pennington would be there. I could barely contain my exhilaration.

There is something unique and special about Miles. When I'm around him I can't stop smiling to myself. My whole insides start fluttering and I feel like melted goo. He has a brilliant mind and a lot of depth. He's very empathetic. I enjoy his opinions and talking to him. It doesn't hurt that he's strikingly handsome.

When he kissed me, I did everything in my power to act unchanged. I felt anything but unaltered. That one singular kiss threw me for a loop. I get goosebumps just standing next to him. Yup, he's pretty  awesome.

He made it so gallant, being an inch away from me. He nudged my chin up with his finger and leaned in. He just makes you want to swoon.

I literally threw my covers aside and jumped in the shower. Daydreaming about Miles made me lose track of time. I toweled off and flat ironed my hair straight. I was excited about putting on my new suit, turtleneck, and heels that we picked out. I wanted to look extra special.

I spritzed on my favorite fragrance, and was putting on the finishing touches to my makeup. I heard a tap on my bedroom door. "Good morning, Miss Author. I just came to say how proud I am of my sister. And have fun today. We'll be there, we have to go pick up Mimi." Nicole gave me a tight squeeze, rocking side to side.

"Thank you, I'm super excited. I have a present for Miles for treating me to dinner." I pointed to the gift wrapped rectangular package lying on my bed.

Nicole shook her finger at me and a smile tugged at her up turned lips. "I knew you had feelings for him. You can't hide it from me, I'm your twin." She winked as she closed the door.

*****

I rode with Logan to the bookstore. I was so happy to have my big brother back safe and sound. My parents were coming with Amelia, Beau, and Lance. My father, Lucas, was bringing June, April, and Jace. I felt so honored that everyone was coming to support me.

I walked in this unexpectedly large picturesque bookstore. They set up a table with a stack of my books and tons that were still in boxes. They had a comfy chair, spring water bottles, and plenty of pens set up for me. The owner had a huge poster propped up. It had my name, my picture, and a display of my Liliana book collection as a backdrop.

The parents and their children arrived at exactly 1 p.m. "Miss Bingham, there is a line around the block of people waiting to meet you and children wanting their books signed." The first parent beamed, as her daughter handed me her book. She looked at me in wonder.

One of the store employees motioned to me. "You can take pictures with the kids and their books by the backdrop." He put up a sign directing everyone.

Most of the little girls had on their pink leotards and tights. They wore purple tutus, pink ballet slippers, and a bejeweled tiara just like Liliana. They were giggling and holding their autograph books, while standing in line.

Some were jumping up and down, grinning nervously. Liliana has big bouncing brown curls. I noticed a sea of curls in brunette, black, blonde, auburn, and some with purple highlights.

I took one little lady by the hand and scooted down to her height. We said, "Cheese." Her mom snapped our photos and also a professional photographer was there.

They wanted to do a story on me for the local newspaper. They had no idea that I was Lucas Dunbar's daughter. Apparently the Dunbars are a very well known Savannah family.

I saw my family come in the store out of my peripheral vision. Mom and Dad were waving frantically. They went and stood by Logan. Amelia was grinning from ear to ear. Nicole, Skyler, Evelyn, Mimi, Aunt Maxine, and Uncle James were all wide eyed.

Lance gave me a flirty wink and his mother hit his arm. I was watching all of this while signing books. And conversing with parents and their children. It was quite a chaotic scene.

"Auntie!" Evelyn was squirming and pointing at me to Skyler. She wanted to come over to me. She was kicking and screaming. Poor Skyler.

I reached my arms out. "She can sit with me." A staff member brought a chair for her. Skyler let her sit down, but he stayed nearby in case I got overwhelmed with my fans. Evelyn kept patting my arm, and trying to get my attention to look at the Liliana poster.

Then Lucas and June walked in. He gave me a warm smile and I saw pride in his eyes. June even gave me a civil smile. April and Jace waved. I appreciated that they all came under the circumstances.

*****

My arms felt like they were ready to fall off, and my fingers needed to be uncurled. I had been signing books for two hours straight. Where was Miles? I checked my cell phone and I had no text messages or missed phone calls. I scanned the crowd for his handsome face.

Amelia, Mom, Aunt Maxine, and Nicole rushed over to me at break-time. "Did you hear from Miles?" Amelia pinched her lips and quirked a brow. I tried not to let my sadness show, but I was talking to women who could see right through me.

Lucas came to the rescue. "Natalie, I'm so proud of you. I just wanted to say hello before you get back to signing books again. You have such a huge turnout. I had no idea you were such a successful author."

"Thank you so much for coming, it really means a lot." I spoke half distracted, as I was on the lookout for Miles.

"Nicole, is there any one of The Liliana Series books that Evelyn doesn't have? I'd like to get her one. And take a picture with you, her, and Natalie. If that's alright with you?" Our father addressed Nicole. He was trying so hard.

Everyone held their breath. "She doesn't have the newest one yet. I'm sure she'd be thrilled for you to buy it for her." Nicole was actually very nice to him. I found that I was delighted by her response. I know he was thrilled.

It was 3 p.m. and I was getting ready to start signing books again. I'm glad my agent had sent boxes of books, so we didn't run out. I turned to make my way back to the table and Miles walked in.

"I knew he would come," Amelia whispered to no one in particular. The only problem is, Jenna was with him. What is she doing here?

Miles closed the distance and hugged me. "I'm so sorry that I'm late. I was at a business meeting and I had to bring Jenna. I'll explain later." He gave me a blue eyed gaze, watching my response.

"I didn't know you were so famous. There are people in line outside the store waiting with their kids. I'm impressed." Jenna felt the need to say. She nodded her head, as she looked around the store. I do not like her!

I directed my statement and glare at Miles. "If you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my book signing." I was beyond annoyed with him bringing her. He furrowed his brows in return. He knew I was fuming. I frowned as I headed back to the table.

I signed books, posed for pictures, and had a blast. Miles stood watching me, looking helpless. His mother stood next to him, whispering in his ear. Amelia does not mince words. Fire was blazing in her eyes. I felt the heated stare she gave him, and I was across the room. I saw the sweat droplets beading up on his forehead.

My father, Lucas, bought the new Liliana book for Evelyn. I signed it: To Evelyn, my favorite niece and Pop pops favorite granddaughter. Love Always, Auntie

"Pop pop." Evelyn wanted him to hold her, as Skyler took a picture of us. He had my phone, Nicole's phone, and our father's phone.

The photographer from the local news paper took a photo. He overheard Nicole and I were twin sisters.-and Lucas Dunbar was our father. The cat was out of the bag for all of Savannah to know.

People started coming up to us and taking our picture. Now everyone will know that I have a twin sister. I motioned for April to join us. Her whole face lit up with shock and excitement. We took a picture for the newspaper, as all three Dunbar sisters for the first time ever.

June had real tears pooling in her eyes. She reached in her purse for a tissue. Our father kept wiping away the moisture that started dripping from his Hazel orbs.

I can only imagine what it was like to see Nicole, April, and I together posing for a newspaper photo. We've got a lot of family issues. But nothing can change the fact that we are sisters. I know it's still hard for Nicole and it's hard for me. I never even knew that my father existed. 

But we are all adults, now. We have to figure out a way to start healing. This is a huge chasm that exists from twenty-eight years ago. Unfortunately, we can't turn back the hands of time.

Mimi stood nearby with her hands clasped in front of her. "If only your grandfather were here to witness this occasion." She laid her head on Skyler's shoulder as the tears fell, one by one.

It was nearing 5 p.m. and my emotions were so raw. I couldn't sign another book if I tried. A new milestone was reached with my new family, and I was happy to be part of it. I was exasperated with the man that stood leaning against the wall. He was examining me and waiting for me to speak.

Miles had his parents take Jenna home. He approached. "May I be of any assistance?"

"No."

"Would you like me to give you a ride?"

"No, I came with my brother."

"Oh, he left."

"Who told him to leave?"

"Actually, I did. I want to talk to you."

"I'm going to dinner with my father."

"He asked me to let you know that dinner was postponed."

This guy had an answer for everything.

"You may give me a lift home, but I'm not talking to you. You could have at least called, or texted that you were running late. Then you show up with Jenna. I didn't invite her. That was so not cool."

"Well, for someone not speaking to me, you seem to be doing just fine." He chuckled to himself.

And that made me even angrier. Why was I so upset to see him with Jenna? I really have more feelings for Miles than I realized.

"My car is parked way down the street. I can go get it and pick you up, or we can walk to it together. The choice is yours." He lowered his head and gazed at me with such an intensity. I felt chills hearing him speaking with his deep authoritative voice.

Tears suddenly overwhelmed my eyes, I was so upset with him. He wiped the tears from my eyes, and pulled me close to him. He held me tight as I broke down in his arms. He lifted my chin and kissed my tear streaked face. "Are you talking to me now?" He asked so sweetly.

"Sorry to interrupt you, but we're getting ready to close the store," one of the store employees politely spoke to us. He approached us very cautiously.

"No problem. Miss Bingham and I were just leaving." Miles interlaced his fingers with mine. He brought my hand up to his lips and kissed it. He proceeded me out of the bookstore.  He was clinging to my hand with our fingers still interlaced.

*****

                                            Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

545K 58.4K 24
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
1.6M 93.9K 87
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
5.6K 413 39
[ Completed ] An epic love story can begin anywhere... even with dead pigs, burning huts, and stolen kisses. ____ If you love to read parodies, this...
2.9K 317 21
When Theo Sinclair, an unruly billionaire, sets his eyes on Keira Ballard, he sees an opportunity to finally get his inheritance. He offers to save K...