HIDDEN VOWS

By xorlaliopel

[Formerly titled Billion's Bride] [STATUS - EDITING] "I want a church wedding." "You want a church wedding?"... More

•ɴᴏᴛᴇ•
Preface
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
Bonus Chapter
•ɴᴏᴛᴇ•

Chapter 44

36.4K 1.6K 67
By xorlaliopel

'With time, I came to acknowledge the fact that the hardest part was not letting go of the past but rather learning to start over. So after sucking up everything that has happened during the last few months, I learned the hard way to forgive myself, you know for being hard on myself, for acting beneath me and for being petty. Cause at the end of the day, no one is perfect and your mistakes don't define who you are as a person.'

Emery blinked a few times, took a deep breath and looked back at the camera.

'It feels great to be back and I'm really grateful to you guys for sticking around. Don't forget to leave a comment down below, give this video a thumbs up and kindly subscribe. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.'

After ending her video, Emery reclined back in the operator chair and relished another deep breath. It did feel good to be back to doing something she cherished and baring her heart out certainly lifted the heaviness off her chest.

Not to waste any more of her time in the confines of such a recollective place, she had spent her Christmas holidays packing up her luggage. And now she only had to wait for Christopher to arrive from his trip to break the news to him.

Emery kept her eyes heaven-bound, soaking up the familiar homely scent and the subconscious sounds of the empty house which once teemed up with life.

But time and again, her gaze would shift to the open envelope on her nightstand and like before, she found herself being drawn to the so-called peace offering.

Hesitantly, she rose from the chair and strolled over to the bed. Picking up the envelope, she pulled out the red box and pried it open. Two pieces of glimmering rings stared back at her. 

I never got the chance to give it to you. The card attached to it read. 

A vindictive thought ran through Emery's mind as she stared haughtily at the diamond pieces-and that was to pawn off the damn things together with the necklace which still adorned her neck.

However, she found the idea demeaning since she had vehemently refused to make use of his tokens. Hastily, she shoved the rings into its box and stashed it back into the envelope.

Her phone dinged and she grabbed the newly purchased cell phone from the desk. A smile touched her lips when she read Natalia's messages. 

Edging off the bed, Emery grabbed her neck scarf and purse before strolling out of her bedroom. She went to the kitchen to retrieve the cake from the fridge and headed out.

Although it was a sunny day, the air was icy cold against the skin so she quickly set the cake on the passenger seat and wrapped the scarf around her neck. She then pulled out of the house and drove to the nearest café to wait for Christopher and Natalia.

Being a Sunday afternoon and a holiday weekend for that matter, the café was bustling with families and other patrons but she managed to secure a table for three, and nestled in the cozy booth with the birthday present to keep her company.

Few minutes after her arrival, Christopher and Natalia made their way into the coffee shop, and ambled over to Emery after the latter had signaled them.

"Happy birthday bro." Emery threw herself into her brother's arms before Christopher could even blurt out a greeting. The couple chuckled at the warm reception. 

"Thanks van. Wow, no wonder she lured me here, I should have known the two of you were up to something."

Emery rolled her eyes at the comment and pulled out of her brother's embrace only to be cocooned by Natalia's.

"You guys were gone for only two days and I've already missed your annoying selves."

"We know you can't live without us," Natalia teased.

"You wish." Emery retorted mirthfully.

They ordered some hot drinks and after minutes on end of catching up on their adventurous weekend, Emery finally made up her mind to break the news to the happy couple.

"So, I have something to tell you guys..." she began.

"What?" the couple asked in unison when Emery stalled. 

"I'm moving out..."

While Natalia's mouth hangs open, Christopher lowered his coffee cup on the table and stared keenly at his sister as if to discern the seriousness in her words.

"You're moving out as in leaving the house?" he emphasized 

Emery nodded, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. 

"Why?" Christopher asked. 

Emery groaned inwardly. "Honestly it's been hard for me after everything that happened, and I know it's not healthy for me to be here and to be reminded of a painful past every day... I just want a new start for myself and the baby."

"Em, you sure need some time away from all the fuss but are you sure you're going to be alright living alone? You know since this is your first pregnancy and all that?" Natalia asked.

"Well I can't be dependent on my loved ones forever. I need to learn to spend some time alone and be my own person," Emery shrugged and took a sip of her hot chocolate. 

Unwilling to buy his sister's sentimental distortion Christopher asked, "Did something happen while I was gone?"

Despite her being considered as family, Natalia knew the situation at hand was personal, and by all means she had to give the siblings the needed space to talk things out. So that was exactly what she did.

"Excuse me guys, I need to use the bathroom," Natalia said and left the booth.

"What's going on?" Christopher asked. 

Knowing how overprotective her brother could be, Emery dared not to speak of the mood dampening visitation two days ago. A gentle hand clamped onto her twitching hand on the table, bringing her out of her thoughts. 

"You can talk to me, sis. Come on what's wrong? Why do you want to leave all of a sudden?"

"It's nothing... I just want a fresh start and being away right now will be healthy for me," Emery mumbled. 

"You're lying straight to my face," Christopher stressed. "Let me guess, this has something to do with Dekker, right? Is he the reason why you're running away?"

Emery's eyes misted instantly, her heart skipping a beat when his name was brought up.

"What did he do now? Cause I swear to God, I will fly to Milan and whoop that motherfucker's ass if-"

"Chris that's enough..." Emery pulled her hands away and leaned back into her seat. 

Christopher's outburst earned them a few curious stares but the siblings brushed aside the inquisitive looks, and continued with their conversation.

"But where are you going? Do you even have enough money on you to settle in a new place?" Christopher asked worriedly.

"I've already gotten a place in Brooklyn Heights with Janina's help, and there might be a job offer for me as well if I leave before the ending of the month. Don't worry, I didn't take anything from our trust fund." Emery added the last part when her brother remained detached.

"I'm not worried about the damn trust fund, Em. I'm worried about you and my niece or nephew."

"We will be fine," Emery said firmly. 

Coming to terms with the fact that there was no way he could talk his sister out of her decision, Christopher sighed deeply and reclined into his seat. 

"Are you sure this is what you really want?"

"Yeah," Emery affirmed once again. 

Seconds after the two had gone back to sipping their drinks in silence, Natalia joined the solemn siblings. 

Lunch went on in awkwardness and once they had paid for their food, Emery gave Natalia a ride home since Christopher rambled an incoherent excuse and drove off. 

· · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

A few days after the Christmas holidays, Emery finally moved out. 

Christopher was still salty the day she packed out but it was an emotional experience for them all, and Emery knew he would come around. 

Natalia on the other hand was happy for her friend and though the distance would bridge their hangouts, the two promised to make time for each other whenever. 

In all honesty, the distance wasn't as far-flung as Emery wanted, but it should be enough to sever the bonds of heartbreak that seemed to cling onto her back home. 

Few weeks after Emery moved to Brooklyn, she got called to a job interview in an insurance company after sending out her applications to numerous companies.

But by then, she was five months pregnant and she was showing. Emery was thus faced with the dilemma of what to do since the aspirants for the position were in abundance, and she feared her pregnancy might hinder her chances of securing the job. Which she dearly needed at the time. 

However, after spending some time reading advice from expectants and working mothers on social platforms, she found the solution to her problem. So when she started interviewing for the position of an Actuary analyst, she dressed in loose yet professional attire which somehow hid her baby bump. 

Unflustered, Emery did not disclose that she was pregnant and went through the entire interview process with backbone. At the end of the day, she was more than glad to snatch the revered office. Only then did she make it known to her employer that she was expecting. 

And much to Emery's streak of luck, the hiring manager and her supervisor who was a new mother, had no qualms with the revelation as long as she could keep up with the rest of the team.

Indeed that was a course for celebration and there was also the other great news. During her doctor's appointment yesterday, Emery finally decided to find out the gender of her baby.

Her happiness was so contagious that even after sharing the good news with Natalia on the phone, the latter still insisted to lay off work and come to Brooklyn for them to toast on it.

So this morning after her yoga class, Emery grabbed some grocery on her way back home and prepared lunch with the help of her cousin Janina who lived in the apartment above hers. 

"I can't believe I binge-watched all your videos when I had a paper yesterday." Janina mused as she tossed a slice of carrot into her mouth.

"Hopefully you didn't flop cause your mom will kill both of us if that is the case."

"Well, she ain't gonna find out about my results so..." Janina laughed over her own words and went over to the counter to place down the bowl of vegetable salad. "I'm all set here."

"Thanks Jay. I don't think I'd be done by now without your help," Emery said.

"You can pay back by going to the movies with Cisco and me tomorrow..."

"Jay you know I can't-"

"Oh come on." She gave Emery the puppy look. "You need to go out for some fresh air, know the neighborhood and get to know your neighbors a bit."

Emery rolled her eyes. "I know my neighbors and I do take fresh air in the evening on the balcony..."

"Are you sure you know your neighbors?" Emery nodded in an attempt to shut the girl up.

"If you're so sure you know your neighbors, then who lives over there?"

Peeved by the girl's insistence, Emery traced Janina's hand to a condo just opposite their apartment. 

She squinted as if to remember who she had last seen to walk out of the building but nothing came to mind.

"See, you have one hunk of a neighbor next door and you don't even know him." Janina teased as she strode back to the counter where Emery was preparing some lemonade.

"Well I haven't seen anyone from that side but I know the couple downstairs and your boyfriend Francisco."

"Cisco isn't my boyfriend." Janina defended though the gleam in her eyes belied the truth in that statement.

Emery chuckled with a shake of her head. She was done arguing with the oblivious girl. After all, she had been in her cousin's shoes once upon a time.

"In case you were wondering who lives there, his name is Anthony Simmons but I call him the sexy attorney."

Emery's gaze flickered back to the apartment when the familiar name stirred up something in her mind. "Did you say, Anthony Simmons?"

"The very one... oh my god, you know him?" Janina asked, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

Nah, It can't be him. 

Emery scoffed and gave a hesitant shake of her head just as her doorbell dinged. Janina was the first out of the kitchen, yelling Christopher's name. 

Wiping her hands on the waist apron, Emery unfastened it and hung it on one of the racks. She cast a wary glance at the aforementioned apartment before walking out of the kitchen.

The second she strolled into the living room, Natalia pulled her into a long-lasting hug. "I miss you so much."

"Don't get all sentimental on me cause you'll make me cry," Emery teased. 

After the exchange of pleasantries, Emery led the way back to the kitchen where they ate lunch together and caught up on life. 

It was refreshing to have them all together once again, and Emery couldn't be happier when Christopher and Natalia mentioned that they were moving in together.

"Wow, that's relationship goals right there." Emery chuckled in glee.

"So what's up with you Jay-Jay. How's college treating you?" Christopher ruffled Janina's braids and the latter swatted his hand away.

"Quit it with the pelting, Chris I'm not a kid anymore," Janina grunted out.

"Technically you are cause you're still my little cousin."

"You're unbearable," Janina mumbled as she forked her rice. "I do have some few months on my plate and then it's bye-bye to bloody education."

"It can't be that bad," Natalia mused.

"For this rebel, it definitely can."

Janina sent Christopher a glare, earning chuckles from the others. 

"So Nat said you found out about the sex of the baby?" Christopher said and Emery nodded, smiling from ear to ear. 

"Well spill it, what are we having?" Janina asked giddily. 

"Its a baby girl!" Emery announced.

"Damn I'm outnumbered now."

Christopher feigned annoyance and crossed his arms over his chest, but Natalia whispered something into his ears and he smiled broadly. He then leaned over and kissed her on the lips.

"Eww no groping or smooching in my house." Emery shot the two a mock glare earning eye rolls from the couple.

"A toast to welcome another queen into the family, also to a gainful employment and to one hundred subscribers!" Janina called.

Janina's bubbly ovation had the others laughing once again as they raised their glasses to cheer Emery on.

At that moment, Emery felt fulfilled and she couldn't have asked for more than to capture the heart-warming memories to accede the tainted ones.

But some memories are ingrained in our minds forever. 

──────────────•••────────────

ʜɪ 👋

ᴀɴᴅ ᴏᴜʀ ɢɪʀʟ ɪs ᴅᴇғɪɴɪᴛᴇʟʏ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴏɴ ʜᴇʀ ғᴇᴇᴛ.

ᴛʜᴀɴᴋs ғᴏʀ ʀᴇᴀᴅɪɴɢ, ᴠᴏᴛɪɴɢ, ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ sʜᴀʀɪɴɢ, ɪ ᴀᴘᴘʀᴇᴄɪᴀᴛᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sᴜᴘᴘᴏʀᴛ. 🍻

ᴍᴏʀᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴇsᴛɪɴɢ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀs ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡᴀʏ sᴏ sᴛᴀʏ ᴛᴜɴᴇᴅ.

ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴇᴇᴋ ᴀʜᴇᴀᴅ.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.7K 4.9K 85
"What else do you want me to say, Mia?" "Did you mean it?" There is a pause and I just-I feel exhausted, the kind that 12 hours of sleep hasn't been...
85.4K 1.6K 34
[BILLIONAIRE SERIES] [BOOK 1] "Do you want to kiss me?" "No, I want to devour you completely. Every inch of your body and soul belongs to me. Let...
758K 20.7K 39
When I stood up and reach for the door. I was forcefully turn around..making my back lean in the back door.. He snatch the purse and shoes in my han...
527K 8.3K 18
[18+] "I-I thought of a way to s-spice up our marriage." "That's great, tell me." I don't know why he was so nervous to say that. "Is it sex in the j...