Liars And Thieves

By ashhhirwin

"๐Œ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ, ๐ˆ ๐๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ž๐š๐ง ๐ญ๐จ ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ž ๐š๐ข๐ง'๐ญ ๐ง๐จ ๐›๐ž๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ง ๐ญ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Author's Note

Chapter 13

847 29 1
By ashhhirwin

"Miss! Miss, wake up," a voice softly awoken Grace, Grace opening her eyes to see Karen sitting on her cot at the end of her feet. A grin grew when she realised Grace had woken. "Ah good! Come on get up," Karen cheered, jumping to her feet. Grace's eyebrows furrowed down in confusion. She didn't know if she had missed something or if she was still dreaming. 

"What? Where are we going?" Grace asked after yawning. Karen rested her hands on her hips, looking down at Grace who was still in her cot. 

"To rob the bank," Karen answered. 

"The bank? Dutch told us no weapons in Rhodes," Grace reminded. Sure, the gang needed money but they also had to follow Dutch's orders. 

"The Valentine bank," Karen added. Grace stared at Karen in disbelief, the woman standing before her seeming overly confident. Karen shook her head harshly, scratching her chin.

"No. Karen, after what happened in Valentine... no. It's too risky," Grace maintained her ground. Karen however was not having it. Karen grabbed Grace's arm, forcing her out of the cot. Grace scolded her as a grin appeared on Karen's face.

"There! You're up now let's go," Karen cheered. Before Grace could argue any further with Karen, Karen had already began leading Grace towards Bill and Lenny who were standing by a wagon. Grace watched as Lenny jumped down from the drivers seat, waving at the two women.

"We got the dresses Miss Jones!" Lenny called out. Grace looked at Karen. Grace looked back at Lenny who pointed to the packages in the back of the wagon. "Just what you ordered."

"Good," Karen cheered. 

"Can someone tell me what is going on?" Grace asked, still confused. Karen turned to Grace, her mouth slightly parting as words almost rang out before Bill interrupted her.

"Arthur! Arthur, get over here," Bill called out, sitting down on the back of the wagon. Karen looked over Grace's shoulder at Arthur before letting out a small side and joining Bill. Grace followed Karen in hope that maybe she would get some understanding on this robbery.

"What is it?" Arthur grunted out as he joined the group. Arthur looked at Grace, giving her a small nod of greeting. Grace gave a small grin to him before he turned his attention back to Bill.

"We got something cooking you might be interested in," Bill explained before hopping out the back. Grace noticed dynamite in the back of the wagon, Lenny and Bill must've picked up some when they went to Rhodes for Karen's dresses. 

"Am I gonna like the sound of this?" Arthur questioned as he sighed, following Bill as Bill walked away from the wagon. 

"Been cooking since Horseshoe, but you went and kicked up all that commotion in Valentine. Now, we was preparing to rob the bank there until you got involved in all that nonsense and-" Grace watched as Karen began to pace a little as Arthur began to grow a look of annoyance. "-I don't know, it just feels like unfinished business."

"That wasn't my fault. It was just one of them things," Arthur argued. 

"How come every time I get in trouble I'm called a fool and an idiot, but when you get in trouble 'oh, it's just one of them things'?" Bill questioned, growing agitated. Arthur chuckled, shaking his head. 

"It's a good point, Arthur," Lenny defended Bill. Grace looked over to see Lenny leaning on the nearby hitching post.

"A very good point," Karen added. Karen looked at Arthur with a hopeful look in her eyes as Arthur began to look defeated. Arthur looked at Grace which she shrugged at him, wanting to stay out of this. 

"Alright, well what do you all want me to do?" Arthur questioned, finally sounding interested. 

"Hit the goddamn bank with us!" Karen cheered excitedly. Arthur chuckled.

"You really think it's worth going back there?" Arthur questioned, trying to get Karen to think realistic. Karen being so confident continued to insist.

"Five of us can hit the bank easy but I ain't gonna lie to you, there will be law if we linger."

"Anything serious?" Arthur continued to question, wanting to be certain that this would work.

"No, just local boys being rounded up and pressed into action," Karen continued to work her way into convincing Arthur to come. Grace was surprised she was even coming but it didn't seem like she had much of a choice. 

"Meaning?"

"If we go in quick and quiet, we can hit it just fine. If there's five of us I mean," Karen explained, motioning to Bill, Grace and Lenny. Lenny had now joined Bill, Karen, Grace and Arthur by the wagon. Arthur scratched his chin, looking at the four of them.

"And you all think it's worth the risk?"

"It's a bank, Arthur," Karen reminded.

"So? Is the take good?" Arthur questioned once again.

"According the to feller I met, yes. It's the end of the stock sales. Plenty of money and plenty of people milling about," Karen explained. Grace remembered Karen coming back to camp at Horseshoe with a bloody lip with Mary-Beth, Tilly and Uncle in tow. Arthur told her all about it. Arthur looked over at Grace.

"And how'd you get sucked into this?" Arthur asked.

"I didn't get a choice," Grace answered, folding her arms across her chest. Arthur chuckled, looking at Karen again. 

"Alright, I suppose it's worth taking a look at least," Arthur gave in as Karen, Bill and Lenny all began to get excited now that Arthur was joining alongside. Karen looked up at the morning sky before turning to the back of the wagon and reaching into it, grabbing the packages.

"We should go now while it's morning," Karen ordered while reading the small tag on the package. She shoved the soft package into Grace's chest, forcing Grace to grab it. "This one is yours. Any case, we should go change out of these rags if we're gonna be performing." 

"Okay," Arthur said. Karen ushered Grace to follow her which Grace did. "So, Bill," Arthur began as the two went off to get changed. 

"What are these for? What are we performing?" Grace questioned as Karen pushed her towards a nearby tent. 

"We are going to be the distraction. Now, quickly get dressed," Karen answered before pushing Grace into the tent and closing the tent flaps behind Grace. Grace looked around in the dark tent before placing the package on a cot before unwrapping it.

Grace waited outside the tent for Karen to finish. Grace wore a beautiful sky blue dress with white lacing on the front and on the shoulders. To finish off the look, her brown hair cascaded down her back with a white hat with blue feathers to decorate the hat. Grace felt like she was rich. Karen busted out of the tent with a grin on her face. The blonde woman wore a velvet looking dress, the deep colour of reddish purple framing her figure. She also wore a hat with feathers. Under her dress was a white under layer which Karen had unbuttoned. 

"Well look at us, two madams of Valentine," Karen curtsied. Grace chuckled, shooing her with a hand.

"Madams of the town of shit and piss, how lovely," Grace chuckled. Karen rolled her eyes before pointing out Arthur, Bill and Lenny. 

"Look, let's go," Karen informed. The two women walked across the camp towards the men. "Gentlemen, let's go rob ourselves a bank," Karen greeted them. Arthur, Bill and Lenny all gawked at the two women who had cleaned themselves up quite well. 

"What's the plan then?" Arthur asked as the five all made their way towards the horses.

"Oh, we're gonna send Grace and Karen on in ahead as a distraction. Then we're just gonna rush on in afterwards. Just a small bank in a little town, nothing that big in way of security. We just need to bring you along as... insurance policy," Bill explained the plan as Grace petted her horses neck before heaving her foot into the stirrup and pulling herself up into the saddle. 

"Yeah, that sounds about right," Arthur added sarcastically. Grace gathered her reins before following Bill and Arthur out of camp, Karen and Lenny following behind her. 

"What'd Strauss want, Arthur?" Young Lenny asked. Arthur looked back at Lenny as the group headed away from camp.

"More debts to collect. I'm heading out after this bank robbery," Arthur informed. Grace looked down at the ground in disappointment, she didn't know why Arthur still helped Strauss after what happened with that sick man. He was lucky she was there, it was clear Arthur was too busy being demanding to realise he was sick.  

The rest of the ride was small talk, discussing the bank and asking how each other was. The gang moved into Valentine, Grace scolded to herself as she looked upon the muddy town. She hadn't missed this place. As the group passed the train station Grace finally spoke up.

"Alright, keep a low profile. We're just being escorted by these gentlemen, Miss Jones," Grace discussed. Karen nodded at Grace, agreeing with her. The group trotted into the town, eyes watching them as they passed through.

"Alright, let's leave the horses here off the main drag," Bill headed towards the clearing beside the gun store, dismounting his horse. The others followed his order, dismounting. Grace petted her horse on the neck before joining Arthur.

"Alright, Gentlemen. Here we are," Karen took a deep breath as they walked towards the small steps of the porch of the gun store, staying out of the mud. 

"Okay, get ready," Arthur told Karen and Grace. Grace took a deep breath, growing slightly nervous about the robbery. She hadn't participated in a robbery in ages and now all she could do was pray this goes to plan. "Karen, Grace. Get to work."

"Course... alright fellers. Keep it cool," Karen told Arthur, Bill and Lenny. Bill and Lenny gave her small nods before following Karen towards the bank. Arthur and Grace walked at the back together.

"You good?" Arthur asked Grace, picking up on her nerves. Grace nodded, swallowing back the lump in her throat.

"Yeah, I'll be okay," Grace assured. Arthur nodded, tapping her shoulder with his hand, comforting her. 

"Good, you'll do great. Also, nice dress," Arthur chuckled lightly. Grace rolled her eyes at him, slightly blushing and tilting her head away to hide her face.

"Oh shut it," Grace giggled. 

"You two, keep it quiet," Bill scolded. The group stopped just beside the bank, Karen turning to Arthur.

"Is it the lost little girls you want or the drunken harlots?" Karen questioned, slurring her words a little for emphasis. Arthur looked over at Bill and Lenny who both shrugged at him. 

"Uh... I'd think I'd like to see the little girls lost," Arthur decided. 

"So even you long to save the fallen women, eh Arthur?" Karen joked as she did up the buttons on the under layer. "You break my heart..." Karen started, her voice trembling like she was about to cry. "You really do."

Bill and Lenny both started laughing together at Karen's acting. Karen grabbed Grace's arm, leading her towards the bank. "Follow my lead," she kept her voice low as the stopped in front of the doors. Karen squeezed her eyes shut, taking a deep breath before pushing open the doors, rushing in while crying. Grace quickly rushed in after her, her hands up in front of her chest as she followed the crying woman.

"Please, Elizabeth! It'll be okay-" Grace started, grabbing Karen's hands in hers. Karen shook her head at Grace, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"But I'm ruined! We're ruined!" Karen cried out, grabbing the attention of everyone in the bank. Grace wrapped her arms around Karen, holding her as Karen cried loudly. 

"I'm not quite sure this is the place-" the bank holder began before Karen's crying cut him off. 

"He said he loved me! He said he'd make a woman out of me!" Karen bellowed. Grace sniffled, wiping a fake tear away from her eye. 

"He left her on the street in the mud! What kind of man does that?" Grace scolded, tears rolling down her cheeks. The bank holder began to stutter, not knowing what to say or do. 

"I-I'm with child and it's... I don't wanna go back to the workhouse," Karen pleaded. Grace nodded, understanding her friend. Grace let go of Karen, hurrying towards the desk, her hands grasping the bars that blocked them off from the bank holder. 

"Please! You got to do something!" Grace pleaded for help. The bank holder looked around in concern, his eyes locking onto a nearby customer. 

"Get them out of here, this isn't a place for lost women to come and cry," the bank holder ordered. Grace felt a hand grab her arm softly, trying to lead her out. 

"Get your goddamn hands off of me!" Karen roared as a man grabbed her, trying to lead her out. Karen pushed him off of her before drawing her revolver. Grace brushed the hand off of her arm as the doors busted open, Arthur, Bill and Lenny all entering with guns drawn. Grace grabbed her revolver, aiming it at the man who grabbed her. "This is a goddamn robbery!" Karen roared.

"Nobody move!" Lenny shouted as they moved in. Grace stared at the man in front of her.

"Get on the ground, now!" Grace ordered. The man, trembling for his life did as he was told, basically falling to the ground. Bill shut the doors, keeping watch through the windows as Lenny knocked out a guard, searching his body for the keys. He found the keys before throwing them to Karen. 

"Don't make us hurt you!" Lenny shouted at the customers as he stayed with the unconscious guard. Grace looked over her shoulder to see Karen unlocking the door for Arthur. 

"It's unlocked, we're good," Karen announced after the key clicked. She backed away from the door, aiming her revolver again. Arthur walked past her and into the the area where the bank holder was, he was pleading for Arthur not to hurt him but Arthur threw him at the bank door, ordering him to unlock it. 

"Open the goddamn vault!" Arthur yelled from the other room. Grace could hear the bank holder whimpering in fear as his fingers fiddled with the lock. 

"How's it looking? Are you in?" Karen yelled to Arthur. Grace listened carefully and could hear the faint clicking on the lock. 

"Nearly. This son of a bitch needs to get a move on!" Arthur snapped at the bank holder. Grace heard Arthur whack the bank holder, causing him to cry out. The vault door had opened and that was followed by a thud. Grace peered through the bars to see Arthur had disappeared into the vault, the bank holder trembling as he crouched on the ground with his hands up. "I'm in! Someone come make sure the suit behaves himself in here," Arthur ordered. Grace looked over at Bill who was still watching Valentine from the window. 

"Grace, you go. We got this locked down," Bill insisted. Grace nodded, hurrying past Karen and into the back with Arthur. She came around the corner to see the bank holder trying to crawl away but she had caught him in time. Grace chuckled before she grabbed his collar and dragged him back in. 

"Goddamn fool," Grace muttered to him as she threw him back to his spot where Arthur had left him. The bank holder grunted in pain before Grace grabbed him again, forcing him to his feet and pushing him into the vault with Arthur. She aimed her revolver at the bank holder, Arthur waiting for an answer. "Open the lock boxes and you'll be okay," Grace hissed. 

"Th-the manager does that! I..." The bank holder began, his voice shaky. Grace rolled her eyes, grabbing his collar with her free hand and pointing the barrel of the revolver into his forehead. 

"Don't be stupid! Come on!" Grace yelled. The bank holder began to cry and Arthur muttered under his breath in annoyance. 

"Guess I'll just crack them or blow them up," Arthur grunted in annoyance. He walked over to the lock boxes before looking back at Grace. "Do whatever with him, just don't kill him."

"Alright," Grace cooed, the man crying more. Grace laughed before she flipped her revolver around so she was holding the barrel before hitting him across the head with the grip, causing him to fall to the ground unconscious. "Try and be quick," she informed Arthur. 

"I'm going to crack them. Get him out of here and go tell Bill that I'm cracking them," Arthur ordered. Grace nodded as she grabbed the man's arms and dragged him out of the vault, dropping him carelessly in the small office before walking out to Bill, Karen and Lenny. They all looked over at her. 

"Arthur's cracking them now, bastard wouldn't tell us the code. How's things goin' out here?" Grace asked. Karen nodded, Bill still looking out the window.

"So far so good," Bill answered. Lenny stood up away from the guard he had knocked out, nodding at her before looking around at all the civilians. 

"Everyone is behaving themselves," Lenny added. Bill turned to Karen.

"Give me ya gun. Go out there and just look around, Lenny and I got it out here. Grace, go back to Arthur and tell him to hurry up would you?" Bill asked. Karen walked over to Bill, tapping Grace confidently on the shoulder before handing Bill her gun. She looked back at everyone, dipping her head before she disappeared out the doors. Grace turned away from Bill and Lenny, walking back towards the vault. Grace joined Arthur back in the vault, watching him cracking the safes. 

"Bill said be quicker," Grace informed. Arthur chuckled lightly.

"Of course he did. I'm going as quick as I can. It's slower but it's quieter," Arthur reminded. Grace nodded, agreeing with him. 

"Mhmm. Just as Karen wanted it to be," Grace agreed. The last safe clicked and Arthur opened it, shoving the money into the bag on his shoulder. He stood up straight, closing the safe again and turning to Grace.

"Alright, let's get out of here," Arthur informed. Grace nodded, leading the way out of the vault. Arthur and Grace joined Bill and Lenny near the entrance, Karen slipping back into the bank and Bill handed her her revolver.

"I think... I think we are fine," Karen informed, calming herself down. She must have been tense from going outside and pretending nothing was wrong. "Come on, I'll lead the way."

Bill and Lenny pulled down their bandannas, uncovering their faces before going outside. Grace followed Lenny out. 

"All of you count to a hundred and keep your mouths shut, you understand me?" Arthur hissed at them all before walking out last. He closed the doors behind him, not wanting anything to look suspicious. Arthur joined the group, catching up to them all. 

"You did well kid," Grace complimented Lenny. Lenny nodded, grinning happily. He looked proud of himself and so he should. 

"Oh my god, someone's robbed the bank!" A voice yelled out. The group stopped, looking around in alarm.

"Shit!" Bill muttered, attempting to keep his voice low. 

"And look, look over there!" Lenny warned, pointing towards the Sheriffs office. Grace looked over to see lawmen running for cover, all looking at the group. They knew it was them who robbed the bank. Grace and Karen both fired a few shots with Bill, Lenny and Arthur before Arthur told the women to get to the horses while they covered them. Karen and Grace ran towards their horses, mounting before followed by the men. The gang quickly mounted, galloping out of Valentine followed by whizzing bullets. The gang fought their way out of Valentine, firing at lawmen who tried to cut them off. Grace couldn't count how many she had hit but she knew it was a few. 

"Train up ahead!" Grace called out, spotting a train about to cross their path. They all began to kick their horses, attempting to go faster to beat the train. 

"Come on, gotta beat that train, Morgan!" Bill called back to Arthur who was still further behind, keeping everyone off of his friends. Bill, Grace, Karen and Lenny beat the train, Arthur only just made it. Grace felt relieved to see Arthur had made it and they ran further into the trees, gathering more ground. The train had cut them from the law, loosing them. 

"Alright, I think we lost 'em," Arthur announced as he slowed down his horse, coming to a stop. The rest of the group stopped with him, Karen catching her breath.

"Gentlemen, that was..."

"Stupid and dangerous. Thank you, Bill," Arthur spat at Bill, finishing Karen's sentence. Bill chuckled as Arthur handed Karen some money, splitting it up for everyone. 

"We're alive and we're paid." Bill pointed out, proud of the robbery they had done. "I don't see the problem." Arthur slapped the money into Bill's hand.

"And that is the problem," Arthur informed to Bill. Grace laughed as she watched Arthur hand Lenny his share before moving to Grace. "But still, this is a very good take," Arthur admitted. "Dutch'll be happy, even if it did come with a heap of trouble."

"Ahh it was fun! You need to take Grace and I on more robberies!" Karen cheered, looking over at Grace. Grace grinned and nodded, counting the money Arthur had handed her. 

"Maybe you're right," Arthur said. "Now go on, get out of here. I have some other business to attend to," Arthur announced, waving them off. "Don't head directly back to camp-" Bill, Karen and Lenny were already galloping away. "-And make sure you ain't followed!" Arthur yelled out behind them. Arthur watched as they ran off, Grace hanging back.

"You're off to get that debt, ain't you?" She asked. Arthur sighed, nodding before mounting his horse. 

"Yeah. Mr Downes died, his wife and son are paying it off now," Arthur informed as he released a deep breath as he sat down into the saddle. Grace frowned, shoving her money into her saddle bag. 

"Why can't you just let them be? They lost a loved one," Grace complained, trying to get Arthur to see clearly.

"Because they lent a lot of money, money we need back," Arthur spat harshly. He took a deep breath before looking back at Grace. "Just get back to camp."

"You don't want me to come?" Grace asked. Arthur shook his head, ensuring her he would be fine. 

"No, it's hot enough out here with what we just did. Don't want to risk getting caught. I won't be long," Arthur ensured. Grace nodded before waving him goodbye and galloping away, remembering to not go directly to camp. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207K 6.3K 47
Arthur Morgan, a crucial gunslinger of the Van der Linde Gang, joins in on the usual coach robbery, when suddenly, unexpected guests drop by. All b...
102K 3.2K 51
You own a saloon in a town you wish to leave for good. One day, a group of outlaws decides to settle nearby. You decide to use them to your advantage...
173K 3.3K 58
[Completed] The beginning of the story takes place when they settled in Colter. When everyone was together before they moved to horseshoe overlook. T...
4.3K 250 30
It's 1911, and undead have swarmed West Elizabeth. John Marston fears his wife and son are the undead horde's latest victims. He heads to Blackwater...