Resisting the Bad Boy

By JasmineCroft_

"Don't think," he whispers into my ear. I hesitate. "I-" His lips on mine silence the rest of my words. He s... More

Before You Read
[1] "Archer Cross"
[2] "High School"
[3] "This'll Make it Better"
[4] "Who's Sweatshirt?"
[5] "Shining Knight"
[6] "You Broke Up"
[7] "Little Dove"
[8] "Flighty"
[10] "Raven Micheals"
[11] "Go Get Him"
[12] "Almost Cute"
[13] "You're Kidding"
[14] "Look Pretty"
[15] "Son of a Bitch"
[16] "I Have an Idea"
[17] "Oh?"
[18] "Points for Little Dove"
[19] "Then Who was it?"
[20] "There's no Way"
[21] "Kiss"
[22] "I Know"
[23] "Archer v. Grant"
[24] "Date Me"
[25] "Sunflowers"
[26] "Inconsistent"
[27] "Kade Fosters"
[28] "I promise"
[29] "Hot Chocolate"
[30] "Sleep"
[31] "Don't think"
[32] "Keys"

[9] "I Honestly Forgot"

9.7K 299 54
By JasmineCroft_

I'VE BEEN in a piss-ass mood ever since I saw Archer in the Michaels' house. I originally wanted to go over there and talk with Raven about...well about everything, but Archer really just had to be there. And I'm definitely asking Raven about why the hell he was there when we meet up for coffee later today. We've been good friends for a while, but she doesn't realize I'm ready for something more. She's so shy and reserved that she doesn't see it, but I see her and I want her. I've always seen her, not just after she got skinny and thinned out.

But now I don't know if Archer beat me to it. Things have been strained between us for a while, and Raven thinks it's some egotistical nonsense, but she doesn't realize he sends signals to other guys that's for sure. Signals that point out that he has possessive tendencies over Raven. Archer probably doesn't even know what he wants and that's what I'm banking on to get a fair shot for myself. I'm honestly not sure what to think after this morning though, because even though the facts don't line up, what I saw wasn't exactly the most convincing. I mean, the guy didn't have a shirt on and Raven looked awfully flustered. I just don't believe my best friend would do something like that—or anything for that matter, with a guy who terrifies her. I'm not scared in the slightest of Archer Cross, but I know Raven is, so I just can't see her warmly inviting him in without Leila present.

     Unless something else has been going on without my knowing.

"Fucking hell!" I say, slamming a hand onto my steering wheel.

I'm supposed to be meeting Raven at a Starbucks in an hour or so, but I don't know if I should say what I meant to say anymore. We've always been good friends and I don't wanna throw that all away. Raven doesn't need another guy trying to mess up her life like Archer clearly has. Hearing that he actually broke up with Leila was a shocker. I knew they were on shaky waters as it is from Raven's information, but that still caught me a bit by surprise.

Raven's got enough on her plate right now with it being the first week of school and Leila drama. I'll just tell her sometime else, I decide. Then again, a part of me doesn't know if I'm pushing it off for my own benefit, or for hers...maybe both.

I pull in to my driveway, feeling a little better after just taking a drive around. I bypass my parents and older brother in the living room to head to my own bedroom. I'm not exactly in the mood to talk and I think they realize that. Dustin, my brother, is the only one who'd bother me. My parents don't really care what I do as long as I stay on top of football and my grades are up. I toss my keys on my desk and take a seat on my bed, head in hands.

Football pictures and memorabilia are scattered around the room. I've been playing for a while and have even gotten college recruitment offers. Being the quarterback gets some publicity I guess. I've been holding off choosing a college, but Penn State would be nice. Plus it's not too far away from where I'm at now and it'd be nice to stay somewhat close to home and friends. Thinking of colleges makes me wonder where Raven's going...we don't talk much about college and what the future holds, but it'd be nice to know.

I'm sure she'll go somewhere prestigious because of her grades and smarts. I think she's taking all AP classes for senior year with a close to 4.0 gpa.

"Grant? Didn't know you were home," my brother says, walking into my room.

"Hey Dustin. Just slipped by," I shrug.

"Alright...well how'd it go?" he asks.

What the hell is he on? He can't know about what I was going to tell Raven, can he? I didn't even say anything to...anyone!

"How'd what go?" I ask, feigning ignorance.

"C'mon, little brother, you thought you could hide that from me? I know about you and Raven," he says, an eyebrow raised.

Dustin and I have always had an amicable relationship. We've been there for each other and had each other's backs in tough situations. Although being two years apart, we acted so much closer that no one would even notice. In high school we drifted, but it got better. What we didn't touch much on, though, was girls. We talked about almost anything but girls. He's got a girl now, but we never really talked about it. We've always talked about college or sports or his career path because he chose to not go to college. The fact that he's bringing it up now throws me.

"Raven Micheals?" I ask, making myself the picture of nonchalance.

"Yes, asshole. Raven Micheals. I heard she thinned up," he says.

"Yeah. She did," I say, shrugging.

"Aw, c'mon. Did you tell her or what?" he asks.

I hesitate, debating on whether to tell him, or just to brush it off.

"No," I say, letting him take it the way he wants.

"Why not?" he asks, not missing a beat.

"I'm pretty sure someone got to her before I did," I shrug.

"Damn. Well, see what you can do. She's a keeper, man," he says and leaves my room.

I groan, leaning back on my bed with a flop.

"What's this girl doing to me?" I whisper to myself.

• • •

"Hey, sorry I'm a little late," Raven says, taking a seat in the coffee shop.

She sits in the chair across from me, running a few fingers through her hair and taking a glance at her phone.

"It's alright," I say.

"Leila came home in a rage, screaming and bursting into sobs as soon as she walked in the door. Archer pretty much dumped her without any warning or argument so she's...more than a little pissed," Raven says, looking a little guilty.

"Oof, glad I wasn't there," I cringe.

Just the mental image of Leila going on a rampage makes me grimace. I've never exactly gotten along with Leila just because of how badly she treats Raven. Raven and I clicked right from the start, and although Leila tried to make her advances, I didn't budge. I think she was miffed about it.

"Yeah, it wasn't pretty," Raven says, her facial expression making me crack a smile.

A moment of silence envelopes us for a moment.

"Sorry about Archer this morning. I do owe you an explanation," she sighs, looking down.

"It's alright. I really didn't mind-just a little surprised is all," I say, brushing it off on the outside but boiling inside.

She gives me a "didn't mind" my ass look, but lets it go. I knew she'd read through my facade. Raven and I always know how to read each other—well at least most of the time because I couldn't get a read on her this morning for the life of me...but I was distracted with Archer being there. She's seen and noticed the tensions between Archer and I for a while, but whenever she'd ask about it, I'd always shut it down. Telling her that we were both caught up in a "who can get the girl" match would've exposed us both and I don't plan on doing any of that. If Kendra and Tori don't do that first. I roll my eyes, recalling the badgering I'd get from them after they had their suspicions. I played it off, showing that those feelings weren't there anymore, and they believed me. Luckily, that got them off my back.

The football guys never noticed anything and really didn't bother. We were also close and talked about who'd smashed who, but not about anything deeply serious like who we liked for more than a fuck. Being the school's quarterback definitely gave me quite a bit of attention, but before I got involved with sports, I wasn't really anyone. I'd been hanging with Raven and other friends, keeping a low profile. I wasn't going to ditch her just because my status jumped.

But then Archer came along and controlled the crowd with a damn flick of his wrist.

For the longest time, I had no idea about Archer's infatuation with Raven. He seemed content with being the school's notorious bad boy and player. He walked into school with the reputation of a killer, and he didn't do shit to help his case. First impressions of Archer Cross show he's the kind of asshole no on wants to be around, and that's exactly right. He and Leila dated a while before actually becoming boyfriend and girlfriend and going public, but everyone practically knew. I was surprised Leila went for him just because she seemed scared shitless of him. He cuffed Leila towards the end of junior year and consequently became closer to the Micheals family. While they were dating, I got inklings of his intent, but the longer time they spent together, the more obvious it was that we both wanted the same person.

Not Leila, as Raven might think, but her.

She'd never noticed her looks or how beautiful she actually was. Before she lost a bunch of weight, people still noticed her. I definitely noticed her. Her auburn hair, fair skin, and sparkling green eyes-she never realized the looks she received. Now she's getting all the guys' attention with her slimmer form.

But I liked her all the same.

"Grant," she says, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

"Yeah?" I say.

She gives me an amused look.

"You just spaced out there...I asked if you wanted to get something?" she repeats, looking to the counter where the barista stands.

"Yeah, lets go. What do you want?" I ask, standing and making my way to the counter.

She tells me her normal order-a venti strawberry açaí refresher-while I get a coffee. She protests against me paying for the both of us, but it's too late. She pouts, looking more cute than mad. We go back to the table to sit down, Raven watching me with an expectant look.

"Hmm?" I ask.

"You just...what'd you wanna tell me when you came over? I'm sorry I had to cut it short..." she trails off.

"Oh, well you were first gonna explain what the whole situation when I got there was about," I raise a brow.

She narrows her eyes.

"I thought you didn't mind," she raises an eyebrow of her own in a burst of confidence.

"I changed my mind," I say.

She laughs a little.

"Okay, well Archer came into the house drunk off his ass with the spare key Leila gave him. He could barely make it up the stairs and ended up coming to my room instead of...well I'm not even sure where he was going, but he ended up in my room. After that he was mumbling all this nonsense that I barely remember, but anyways his shirt was soaked in liquor so he took it off and refused to put anything else on. That's why he was shirtless when you came over. Anyways, in the morning I gave him a couple Advil and made him some food. He um...you know the rest," she shrugs, looking away.

I narrow my eyes. I can tell she's hiding something. I know Raven and she's definitely hiding something from me. I swear to god if Archer did anything, I'll kill him.

"Is there more?" I ask.

"Mm, nope," she shrugs.

There's one thing that's been nagging at me though. A simple question that I'm sure will be answered at some point.

"So why'd he break up with Leila anyways?" I ask.

"I honestly don't know. I tried asking, but he never gave me a straight answer. Now that I think of it, he's actually professional at dodging questions. Granted, I was a little hesitant and cautious around him just because...well you know," she says, swallowing nervously.

"You're nervous just talking about him Ray. It's probably a good idea you're cautious around him because that's the only smart thing to do with a guy like him. He can't be trusted," I say.

"Hmm, wait what were you going to say? Sorry I got sidetracked..." she trails off.

"I honestly forgot and was hoping your story would give me time to think, but I still can't remember," I shrug, deflecting.

She narrows her eyes as if in disbelief, but shrugs, letting it go. In all honesty...she's right not to believe me.

• • •

So Grant backed out...:/ Do you guys think he should've come clean and told Raven at the coffee shop?

What are your predictions?

Favorite scene so far?

Thanks for reading and sticking with me so far!

Jasmine Croft xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303K 9K 61
"I wouldn't mind watching you. Maybe we could tan together this summer." He suggested. "Without having tan lines." I could feel the smirk playing on...
34.9K 993 41
She must feel my presence because she turns around to me so I hold up my knife and run at her. "ARCHIE STOP!" she says as I pin her into the hard bri...
29.4M 870K 71
He tips my head toward his with his index finger, keeping my eyes trained on him and driving me crazy with the primal look on his face. His grey eyes...
16.6M 310K 26
He leaned in closer, if that was even possible, his spearmint breath fanning across my face. My breathing got caught in my throat as he lowered his m...