I'm Still Here

By MissyDoe2017

A small town baker. The resident bad boy of Jackson County. The push and pull. Words said like "yea we're don... More

All Over This Small Town
As The Hymn Book Flies
When A Scheme Comes Together
Giving The Preacher New Material
Sin In Plain View
Takin A Break
Icing and Yelling
Just Desserts We Don't Like
Heavy Eyes, Tired Heart
No Choice Given: Part I
No Choice Given: Part II
Special Delivery Boss....
Takin This Leap of Faith
Adventures In Babysitting And Beyond
Put A.....Paris??: Part One
Put A....Paris??: Part Two
Almost Within Reach
The Outlaw and The Ass Shaker: Round 1
Not A Warm Welcome: Part I
Not A Warm Welcome: Part II
Consequential Reveals
Finding Home Again
Really Gone
What Am I Gonna Do With You?
Small Town Talk
Wake Up Call
What We Think We Want
Do As You Wish
This Is Where I Belong

Highlight of Small Town Life

2.3K 83 109
By MissyDoe2017

Mrs. Ruby Johnson's POV ( thank you baseballfan8 😏😁😈)

I took a deep breath loving the smell of the fall air. The lovely golden leaves falling to the ground. Just enough chill in the air to keep away the mugginess of the South. Taking a sip of the coffee I had grabbed from One Hale of a Bakery, I looked down at my sweet little poodle Mitizi prancing along as we walked turning onto our street. Why I loved living close to Main Street. Close to everything and as Elmer would remind me, close to the gossip.

I had the signature pink bag of the bakery looped over my wrist with the Halloween cookies I had picked up for the trick or treaters tomorrow night. I had asked Stephanie where Susanna was. Not like her to not be there when I went into get my coffee while I was walking Mitizi. Hope the poor child wasn't sick. All Stephanie had done was bite her bottom lip and say that Susanna was getting some much deserved rest. That poor girl did work way too hard.

I guess I could give Connie a call when I got home to check on her. We'd been visiting the grandkids in Florida the last few weeks, so I was a little out of sorts on the news of the prayer chain. Elmer would snort, shake his paper, and tell me to admit I had missed out on the latest town gossip. I proceeded down our street with a pep in my step and a yip from Mitzi when a loud roar made me jump. My poor little angel darted back to hide around my legs shaking.

A black motorcycle zoomed by making me gasp. Why I never! Looking closer I recognized the rider with no problem. If that don't beat all I ever seen in this world. No good, no account for nothing, hoodlum oldest Gilbert boy. Bless his mama. I needed to say an extra prayer for her. Becky is a saint and no matter what she did he was a rotten apple at times. A hell raiser through and through. What had me spinning around almost tripping over Mitzi's leash was the woman on the back. A shock of auburn hair blowing in the wind. I could hear a booming laugh from Brantley as he stopped at the stop sign making my jaw almost hit the pavement.

Is that? Oh, I know I was not seeing Coach Hale's sweet little girl on that monstrosity of a death machine! I watched as he leaned back catching Susanna's lips in a slow kiss making even me blush for it being in broad daylight. Heavens to Betsy! They needed to be on the prayer list. Ughhh someone needs to talk to her. Just can't believe she is taking up with the likes of him.

Susanna's POV

I rubbed my hands along the sleeves of my navy blue sweater wishing I had grabbed my jacket out of my Jeep when Tiffany and I parked at the football field earlier. It was Friday night in the fall of course under these bright lights is where I would be. Highlight of small town life and a lot of times like a religion of its own. Mama had warned me it would get cooler as the sun went down. She was settled back in her chair rest with a red blanket over her knees. Decked out in Jefferson High regalia from head to toe looking every inch of a coach's wife.

When I was younger I had wanted to be just like her. Guess I was in some ways. Did have a crush on the starting quarterback back in the day. Was tied to this small town for sure with my business now. That faint dream of studying baking in France teased at the edge of my mind from time to time. But that is all it was, a dream. Tiffany reached over tugging on the bright red scarf I was wearing with a smirk leaning closer to me. Her long blonde hair pulled up in a high ponytail complete with bow from our cheerleading days. I had always been a little too shy to tryout until our senior year.

"Why the scarf Suz?" she whispered with a snicker. I felt my entire face turn red as I glared at her. "Got something to hide?"

"Don't know what you are talking about," I grumbled through clenched teeth forcing a smile on my face as Mrs. Ruby walked by holding onto the arm of her husband Elmer shaking her head at me. Well that was strange she always stopped and spoke normally. I elbowed Tiffany as she giggled. "Stop Tiff. I..."

"You are full of crap if you think I am gonna believe that," Tiffany laughed grabbing the ends of my hair lifting then looking closely letting out a whistle. "Well, I wasn't expecting teeth marks. Look at BG go."

"Girls," Mama said with a laugh shaking her head. She narrowed her eyes at the field not agreeing with a call Daddy had made. "He should have run the ball!" I saw her debate calling his phone before turning her attention back to us. Wouldn't be the first time. I swear she knew the playbook better than the quarterback. A slim hand reached over patting my jean clad leg. "I was actually surprised to see you alone tonight honey. Figured you would have a date or something."

"Mama," I sighed rolling my eyes. "We aren't dating or anything. It's not..."

"Guess it could be termed as hooking up," Tiffany chuckled making me whirl around and smack her arm. Mama sighed as we battled back and forth before Tiffany shrugged her shoulders. "Sorry Mrs. H."

"It's something,' Mama laughed poking my arm putting her two cents in. "That boy made a beeline for you in church. And someone's Jeep stayed parked in their own parking lot for not one, but two nights in a row. Your own daddy almost ran his truck off the street yesterday morning seeing you hop off the back of a motorcycle to run into work late. So Susanna darlin, however you want to term it, there is something going on between you and Brantley."

"Well when I know," I said with a laugh leaning over to kiss her cheek. "You will be the first to know."

"Oh sweetie," Mama chuckled turning her attention back to the game. "Becky and I will know before you two. Haven't you figured out how the small-town gossip works yet."

I settled back against the bleacher getting absorbed in the game. Had been part of my life for years. A pair of jean clad legs settled on either side of me before a black leather jacket slipped around my shoulders making me turn my head and look up. Felt my heart skip a beat seeing that backwards black hat and a wide smile as Brantley leaned down brushing a quick kiss across my lips.

"Sorry," he said with a sheepish shrug confusing me on why he was sorry. He hadn't mentioned anything about seeing me tonight when he'd come into the bakery after the lunch rush trying to sweet talk a dozen chocolate chip cookies out of me. "I had planned on being here sooner, but I got held up on a conference call with my manager and my label president. Working out studio dates." He leaned over wrapping a long arm around Mama's shoulders hugging her. "Evening Mrs. H. looking lovely as always."

"Brantley, son," Mama snickered rolling her eyes. "When did you become such a kiss ass? Afraid I'll still get Mark to make you run laps?"

"More like wondering if he has been cleaning his guns," Tiffany snickered shoving Brantley's arm making him wink at her. "I mean you are chasing after his baby girl."

"That I am," he laughed slumping down on the bleachers stretching out his legs. Arms wrapped around my shoulders pulling me back into his chest. I tamped down a content sigh feeling warmer than I had been earlier. I knew without a doubt Mama snuck at least one picture when we weren't looking that I am sure hit Ms. Becky's phone in a heartbeat. At least three girls from the class above me in school strolled by giving me dirty looks over who was sitting with their arms around me. Won't lie made me feel a little smug. Sorry ladies, your potential husband number two was busy with me tonight.

I bit my lip listening to the conversation flowing around me wondering in some ways how I got lucky for something I had wanted as a teenager to happen finally did. Mama would tell me that there is a time for everything in life. I guess she was right. A soft kiss brushing along my cheek made me blush as the preacher and his wife walked by. Mrs. Shelia didn't even try to hide her raised eyebrows. I wanted to snap at her to take a picture it would last longer but the couple following behind them had Tiffany's jaw dropping and the chest I was leaned against rumbling with a laugh.

"Well I guess that was ol' girl he was talking about the other night," Brantley chuckled as Kolby walked by with his arm resting around Kaylee Bryson making me roll my eyes. Tiffany visibly shuddered as Mama winced trying to keep a polite smile on her face.

"You need to have a talk with your little brother BG," Tiffany murmured rolling her eyes. "Kaylee is so not what he needs."

"What?" Brantley laughed looking at her as he idly played with my fingers. "It's Kolby and she is hot. He will be fine."

"Oh really now," I teased back at him for his comment turning my head meeting his eyes. "She's hot huh?"

"Gonna get something he can't get rid of more likely," Mama grumbled rolling her eyes. "Lord wait until your mama meets her."

"She won't," Brantley said with a snicker. "He ain't bringing anyone home for her scrutiny trust me." Mama cracked up laughing at that. Guess it was a good thing I already knew his mama even though I wasn't sure what was going on between us. Brantley leaned down nosing my hair away from my ear brushing his lips against it making me shiver. Suddenly I could care less about the football game and was more intent on getting out of here. The low timber to his voice sending dampness straight to between my thighs. "Trust me darlin. She has nothing on you and these tight jeans you are wearing. I'm trying to be good and not imagine what is on underneath them. But not doing any good. I have plans on getting you out of them later." I swallowed a moan and jerked when I heard a low growl slip past his lips.

I turned following his gaze down the bleachers to where Kenny Macon was sitting with a couple of his buddies from the soccer team in high school. Kenny had moved back earlier this year frequently dropping into my bakery asking for a date to make up for being an ass in high school. He had taken an interest in me our junior year. A date or two he had swept me off my sixteen-year-old feet. Tiffany had hated him and still did. But after getting all dressed up for the Homecoming dance that year, I had been stood up with my only choice for Mama and Daddy to drop me off at the school. Rumors were flying by the time I got there that Kenny was out with some other girl. Daddy had been none to pleased.

The asshat had surfaced at school on Monday though looking like hell with a busted lip, two black eyes, and a broken nose. Refused to tell anyone who had beaten his ass. We all were sure it was the girl's boyfriend. "I will tell you this much darlin. If he don't stop staring, he is about to get a refresher in why Eli and I spent used to shove him in a locker for fun our senior year. I never liked that little prick."

"Speaking of pricks," Tiffany said with a snort pointing towards the top above us at a group of guys passing a flask back and forth laughing obnoxiously. I shook my head and winced when I felt the grip Brantley had on my hands tighten. "That is asking for a drunk and disorderly in a heartbeat. God, what did I ever see in Jake Myers back in the day?"

"I told you he was a dick," I reminded her making Mama chuckle. I gasped recognizing Ryan Fitzmorris as the ringleader. His features stood out to me more than ever as I connected the dots of the rumors I had heard when Sadie moved to town. I had never asked but I had heard he was Ryleigh's father. "You see Ryan is right in the middle of it."

"I never liked that cocksucker," Brantley growled shooting a glare their way. Mama reached over smacking his arm. "Sorry Mrs. H, but he always rubbed me the wrong way. He gave the Chief more hell than I did."

"Hopefully he is just here for the game," Mama sighed shaking her head. "His little cousin in the starting tight end this year."

Later on after the game, Tiffany and I laughed standing on the sidelines watching the boys celebrate. That had included dumping the cooler on Daddy making him receive a smack from Mama for yelling "shit that's cold!". Standing near the fifty-yard line as the crowd started filtering away I was hit with a touch of nostalgia missing my high school days a little. Tiff threw her arm around my leather covered shoulders with a grin pointing over at Daddy. He spun a football around on his hand giving Brantley a wink laughing at something they were talking about with a couple seniors.

"I dunno son," Daddy boomed rolling his eyes playfully. "I don't think you still have it in you."

"Ohh that is a challenge," Brantley laughed taking the ball away from him and pointing at Benjamin, one of the wide receivers. Benjamin took off with a laugh as B jogged out on the field pulling back and launching it downfield straight into his waiting hands. I smiled watching him laughing throwing the ball around with some of the other boys. Daddy walked over leaning down to kiss my cheek with a smile.

"Yep that boy still has it Suzie Q," he chuckled crossing his arms over his chest. "You've got you a good one there even when he doesn't want to admit it."

"Not like that Daddy," I sighed making him laugh harder walking away to swing Mama up in his arms making her shriek.

"Keep tellin yourself that sweetie!" Daddy said shifting her over his shoulders making the team starting cheering. "Keep tellin yourself that!"

I let out a yelp being distracted by my parents when a pair of hands gripped my waist lifting me up to wrap my legs around them. Brantley gave me a big grin as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"What do you say to getting out of here hmmm..." he murmured kissing me slowly.

"Thought you would never ask," I whispered back giving him a wink. "Let's go."

Little Friday night lights and hmmm wonder if that is all that Sadie's ex is in town for learod16?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.4K 737 33
Done <3 Family used to be Leilani's everything until her mom passed away when she was 14. Her dad was in the military so he was never home and her ol...
12.6K 468 22
He was just looking for someone good at their job. Making sure he didn't lose everything he had busted his ass to build. What he wasn't expecting was...
18.2K 527 19
♡☆They're Baaaaack!!!☆♡ 《In a different storyline, of course》 Brantley and K.C had been friends for as long as they could remember. He always pr...
11.9K 598 14
The good girl at home. The bad boy with a heart of gold who has the devil on him. But is she what people thinks she is? Could it be there is a little...