Natalie |Beyond Heights|

By dawndwrites

Natalie Bingham and Miles Pennington ****** Natalie Bingham always knew she was adopted. She has a very lovin... More

|Prologue|
|One|
|Two|
|Three|
|Four|
|Five|
|Seven|
|Eight|
|Nine|
|Ten|
|Eleven|
|Twelve|
|Thirteen|
|Fourteen|
|Fifteen|
|Sixteen|
|Seventeen|
|Eighteen|
|Nineteen|
|Twenty|
|Twenty-One|
|Twenty-Two|
|Twenty-Three|
|Twenty-Four|
|Twenty-Five|
|Twenty-Six|
|Twenty-Seven|
|Twenty-Eight|
|Twenty-Nine|
|Thirty|
Epilougue
A Pennington Story (Book 1 and Book 2)

|Six|

1.1K 86 12
By dawndwrites

Miles

*****

We entered the house and were greeted by two unfamiliar faces. A very attractive couple in their late fifties stood conversing with Logan, Skyler, and Nicole. They immediately stopped talking and turned their attention to Natalie and I.

The woman had dark auburn hair with rich brown eyes. She had dimpled cheeks and a full face. The man had black hair and emerald eyes. His face was craggy, with his furrowed eyebrows and eyes examining me. He made me a little nervous as he rubbed his chin with his large hand.

Natalie's eyes instantly grew large with recognition. "Mom and Dad. What are you doing here?" She lifted her chin with a puzzled expression.

"Natalie Bingham, is that any way to greet your parents? We flew here to be with you and meet your new family." Mrs. Bingham responded scoldingly. She seemed like a no nonsense kind of woman.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Who's staying with Granny?"

"Now that's better. We got a nurse to stay with her, while we're gone." Her father hugged her, while closing his eyes and squeezing tight.

I extended my hand. "I'm Miles Pennington. It's nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Bingham."

"Nice to meet you too, Miles. Please call us Judith and Benjamin. We just met your lovely parents. Logan told us that you met Natalie last year at a race. What a coincidence." Her mom was very friendly, speaking animatedly. Her father gave me a once over, before shaking my hand.

My mom inserted herself into the conversation. "Yes, I was so happy to meet Natalie and to find out the connection she had to my son, Miles. You two are welcome to stay at our house, since Skyler and Nicole are filled with guests." My mama very happily and generously offered.

"How kind, that would be lovely Amelia." Judith accepted the hospitality, reaching for Mama's hand. Those two will be buddies I'm sure.

Lucas approached Judith and Benjamin, cautiously. He let out a nervous breath. "Mr. and Mrs. Bingham, my name is Lucas Dunbar. I'm Natalie's father. This is my wife, June, my daughter, April, and her husband, Jace." He spoke pensively.

June gave a plastered on smile with her lips pursed. April and Jace advanced forward, stretching out there hands to greet the Binghams.

"Nice to meet you, everyone." Benjamin acknowledged. "My daughter informed us of your phone call, Mr. Dunbar. That's why we're here."

Natalie's mother gave a small smile. It seemed a little uncomfortable for the Binghams to meet Lucas. Judith narrowed her eyes at June, unconsciously chewing on her lip.

Mr. Bingham nudged his wife. "Yes, nice meeting you all." Judith echoed her husbands sentiments.

Natalie went and got Mimi, who was busy in the kitchen. "This is my grandma, Mimi Dunbar." Natalie stood behind her holding her shoulders. She seemed so proud to introduce her new grandma.

"I've heard so much about you Mimi. I'm so happy to finally meet you." Natalie's mom embraced Mimi.

She dried her eyes with an embroidered handkerchief. "You remind me of my mom." Then her tears fell even harder.

"How is your mama? Natalie told me you moved to Florida to take care of her." Mimi took Judith's hand, looking with concern-filled eyes. There is no one like Mimi.

"Thank you for asking, she was diagnosed with Dementia. She recognizes us less and less. It's heartbreaking," her statement trailed off.

Her brows pulled together. Mimi nodded her head while listening and patted her hand warmly.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet the two of you." You've done a wonderful job raising, Natalie. What a remarkable young woman. I'm so happy to be united with my granddaughter at last!

"She made our job as parents easy. She and Logan are our world." Benjamin viewed his children with pride. He let it be known that Natalie was still his daughter.

"See Lucas, there really is no place for you in Natalie or Nicole's lives. You have April. Maybe we should leave, I don't think you're really needed here." June spoke in her shrill irritating voice. She really is obnoxious and only thinks of herself.

"No one asked you to leave June." Mimi narrowed her eyes, annoyed with her.

Lucas settled his gaze on June. "You and April can leave if you choose. I'd like an opportunity to speak to Natalie, and get to know her parents."

Jace raised his hand. "I'll stay with you Dad. I'm enjoying spending time with our new family." April rolled her eyes and gave him a how dare you look.

Evelyn ran to Lucas. "Pop pop." She held her hands in the air for him to pick her up. He definitely wasn't in a hurry to leave after his granddaughter sought his attention. He scooped her up and smiled lovingly at her.

"Yes, well I guess we can all stay." June looked put out. She sat in a living room arm chair with a huffy countenance, knowing that she was just bested by a fifteen month old.

"You are all welcome to have a seat in the great room, or outside on the deck." Nicole got everyone's attention.

That's one of the nice things about Savannah in the colder months. December through February, it's in the low 60's for a daytime high. It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. The sun was shining brilliantly and it was actually quite warm outside.

Thankfully, Skyler and  Nicole have a huge house to accommodate this large gathering of people.

My mama helped Nicole set the outdoor table. They arranged a fruit platter, chips and dip. She ran inside, grabbing an assortment of other snacks and a large pitcher of sweet tea. Nicole and Natalie's aunt, Maxine, followed them with snack plates, bowls, silverware, and glasses.

Their uncle, James, was engaged in a riveting conversation with Skyler and Mr. Bingham. I'm sure they had plenty to discuss with our new family dynamics.

I observed Natalie interact with her mother. She was thrilled that they came to support her. They were truly a family. She looked very close to her dad also.

It will be interesting how this will all play out, with her relationship with Lucas Dunbar. But for now, everyone was making an extra effort to get along.

Nicole joined Skyler's conversation with Mr. Bingham. "I'm thrilled to meet my sister's family. She has spoken so fondly of you."

She picked up Evelyn. "I'm so happy that you decided to come spend time with us. This is an impromptu family reunion that you probably never imagined."

My mama snuck up behind me. "Miles, that Natalie is sure a lovely girl. I really like her. I still can't believe she is Nicole's twin sister. You should offer to show her around Savannah."

I knew what she was up to. My mama will do anything to get me to stay in Savannah. I know her wheels are turning about Natalie fitting into the equation.

"I don't know if Natalie will have much spare time. She seems to be pretty busy with her new family." I knew that would get my mama going. Amelia Pennington won't give up, easily.

"We'll just have to see about that." She replied with a calculated gleam in her eyes.

I couldn't dare tell my mama, that Natalie captured my attention from the moment I saw her after winning my race. She was absolutely gorgeous with the most riveting hazel eyes.

Now that I see her today, she looks a lot like Lucas Dunbar. She also has a strong resemblance to her sister, Nicole.

She seems quite spunky. I admire her willingness and courage to face her father, undaunted. She is handling this rather well considering the situation. I think she will be the bridge to Lucas having some type of conversation with Nicole.

Something tells me that she and I will have a chance to spend time together. My mama will see to that. I have to chuckle to myself. Amelia Pennington is one tenacious woman. When she is determined, nothing gets in her way.

*****

Natalie

I met Miles' curious eyes from across the room. I wanted him to rescue me from a chattering April. She was telling me all about her and Jace's recent wedding. They are newlyweds. I was being gracious to my sister.

I wanted to make an effort to get to know her, but would rather escape.

Miles inched close behind me. "I'm sorry to steal Natalie away, but she and I have a date."

"Oh, I didn't know you two were dating. How lovely, two brothers with twin sisters." April was being her patronizing self.

"We're not dating, I was using a figure of speech." He spoke dryly.

I looked at him smirkingly. "What do you have in mind, Miles?"

He spoke low and close to my ear. "You looked like you needed to be rescued. So I was the lifeguard on duty," my heart did a funny rhythmic movement, as he spoke so close to me.

My arms broke out in goosebumps. I hope he didn't notice.

Mimi approached us, and my mind had to put that thought on hold. "How are you doing, sweetheart? Have you gotten a chance to talk to your father yet? I know it has to be difficult, I can only imagine."

"It is still difficult for Nicole. But she's come a long way. Your father is trying, like never before." She patted my hand and looked warm heartedly at me.

I have such affection for her already.

"I know Mimi, I will talk with him." I nodded to her reassuringly.

Logan moved toward us with his hands in his pockets. "I figured now is a good time for me to let Mom and Dad take over. I decided to enter a race that I've been wanting to for quite a while."

"I decided  to come with you instead. But now you're not alone. I don't have to worry." He was observing my face for my reaction.

"I'm better than I thought I would be. Mom and Dad are here, which I'm very happy about. You go enter your race, just please be careful. I love you. Thanks for coming with me." I stood on my tiptoes and gave my baby faced brother a kiss on his cheek.

Miles clapped Logan on the back. "You race car drivers are a strange breed. You love the adrenaline rush. Win this one for me. I'll watch out for your sister." He winked playfully.

"I'm sure you will. I'll be back in a couple of days. I'll try to win, I wish I was racing you. I need a rematch. Be on your best behavior with my little sister." He pushed his shoulder. I put my head down to hide my blush.

Lucas Dunbar approached our little group. "Hey Natalie, do you have a few minutes? I'd like to sit on the deck and talk, if that's alright with you?" I shook my head yes, but I was extremely nervous.

*****

                                           Please Vote and leave a Comment ❤️
                                          What do think about this Story so far?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3M 269K 102
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
2.6M 150K 48
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
1.2M 63.4K 59
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐨𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
1.4M 33.9K 46
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...