Shadow Of The Past Trilogy ∞...

By kemorgan65

Three Fates, Two Earths, One Chosen... After a cataclysmic event hurls three women to another Earth, they fin... More

∞ To You, my dear reader ∞ (Updated 16/Mar/2024)
NEW TO WATTPAD? Welcome!!!
PART I ∞ The Displaced
1 ∞ the submerged
2 ∞ where am i
3 ∞ black or green
interlude ∞ one
4 ∞ missing
5 ∞ the shock
6 ∞ awakening
7 ∞ asked for
interlude ∞ two
8 ∞ beyond all horizons
9 ∞ not the truth
10 ∞ severe reaction
11 ∞ evidence
interlude ∞ three
∞ Author's Note: A little background ∞
12 ∞ friends
13 ∞ the connection
14 ∞ the new arrival
15 ∞ mistake
16 ∞ the mark
17 ∞ remember
18 ∞ exhaustion
19 ∞ the signal
20 ∞ old news
21 ∞ admission
22 ∞ cover story
23 ∞ two directives
24 ∞ long time no see
25 ∞ i swear
26 ∞ the job
27 ∞ partners
28 ∞ something old, something new
29 ∞ unknown bug
30 ∞ the choice
31 ∞ distraction
32 ∞ intrusion
33 ∞ up to me
34 ∞ the real deal
35 ∞ not possible
36 ∞ breath of air
37 ∞ light or shadow
38 ∞ branded
39 ∞ not the only one
40 ∞ (un)expected
41 ∞ wild side
42 ∞ appearance
43 ∞ confirmation
44 ∞ the new player
danny's song ∞ 'call in the night'
∞ a history of cover designs ∞
∞ Awards, Reviews & Activity ∞
PART II ∞ The Chaos
45 ∞ the objective
46 ∞ just another job
47 ∞ where is it
48 ∞ progress
49 ∞ stay away
∞ The Cast ∞
50 ∞ changes
51 ∞ connecting the dots
52 ∞ getting warm
53 ∞ open sesame
54 ∞ sizing up the river
55 ∞ taking risks
56 ∞ still alive
57 ∞ the problem is choice
58 ∞ no choice
The Lake Eufaula Summer Spectacular
59 ∞ one last dance
60 ∞ upcoming rapids
61 ∞ total recall
62 ∞ the chosen one
63 ∞ the choice of the one
playlist compilation
64 ∞ making moves
65 ∞ interruptions
66 ∞ preparations
67 ∞ covert intentions
68 ∞ take off
69 ∞ crossing the line
70 ∞ so close
danny's song ∞ 'beyond all horizons'
71 ∞ the (un)haunted I
72 ∞ the (un)haunted II
73 ∞ last leg
74 ∞ live or die
∞ Author's Note & Acknowledgments ∞
∞ To My Dear Silent Readers ∞
PART III ∞ The Ascent
hear the voice ∞ summary
75 ∞ face to face
76 ∞ no moon
77 ∞ nightmares
78 ∞ no fear
79 ∞ the unexpected
80 ∞ plans change
81 ∞ hidden truths I
82 ∞ hidden truths II
83 ∞ the augmented
interlude four ∞ daughters-in-training
84 ∞ testing, testing
85 ∞ in two places
86 ∞ the shadow
87 ∞ connections
88 ∞ agreements
89 ∞ sensitive readings
91 ∞ other dimensions
92 ∞ covert observations
93 ∞ truths and transformation
94 ∞ two threats
95 ∞ chaos I
96 ∞ chaos II
97 ∞ the bombshell
98 ∞ negotiations
99 ∞ dreamscape
100 ∞ the sisters
101 ∞ the exchange
102 ∞ nanites at work
103 ∞ closing in
104 ∞ encounters
interlude five ∞ classified inquiry
105 ∞ initiation
106 ∞ submerged
107 ∞ last-minute preps
108 ∞ briefing and distrust
109 ∞ the need-to-knows
110 ∞ free fall
111 ∞ (un)expected company
112 ∞ the matter of antimatter
113 ∞ the breakdown
114 ∞ navigation
115 ∞ on the sun-bound
116 ∞ the eagle has landed
117 ∞ another small step
118 ∞ birth of the E's
119 ∞ into the depths
120 ∞ the egg
121 ∞ first night on the moon
122 ∞ against protocol
123 ∞ painful choices
... and while you wait ...
... and while you wait #2: A special treat!

90 ∞ malleable realities

215 32 52
By kemorgan65

[A/N: There's a glossary at the end of this chapter.]

Day Nineteen ∞ Tuesday

DR. KRUGER SAT DOWN, his mind swirling with possibilities. Pressing a knob, he spoke into the microphone. "Dima?"

On the screen, Dr. Bogdanov lifted his eyes to the camera. "Yes, Hans, what is it?"

"I want to go all the way for the big bucks. Normally I'd rigorously follow protocol but, in this case, our subjects can be taken away at any moment. So I think we should continue with more informative tests."

Bogdanov's perplexed expression prompted Kruger to continue. "Look, I think we can safely assume the boy is a passive telepath. What we need now is reliable, recorded data about their brainwave patterns and how their metabolic rates register. To guide future research. How about we use more complex material?"

"Ah! Molodiets, Hans! Yes, I totally agree. Excellent idea. I was afraid it was going to take forever to obtain results with your caution. Let's do it."

"Let's try an extract from a random book."

While Bogdanov retrieved a publication from a bookshelf in the room, Kruger communicated the change in direction with Dr. Yusuf. He expected Yusuf to object but the chief of the botanical section was as bored with the slow pace as everybody else.

Yusuf went to the shelf in the other room and stood a moment scanning its contents before picking a thick book. Then he gave Danny a notepad and pencil and explained what was expected of him.

Bogdanov had already returned to the table and was copying text from the open book. He said something and slid the notepad across to Miss Wamba.

Kruger turned to the other monitor and saw Danny writing on his own page.

"Doctor Yusuf," Kruger said into the mic, "can you please read for me what Danny wrote?" Then he activated the other mic.

Yusuf took the notepad from Danny and enunciated each word, " 'I do not know what weapons are going to be used in World War Three. What I do know is that if there is a World War Three, then in World War Four, we are going to fight using sticks and stones. Albert Einstein.' "

Kruger looked at Bogdanov's astonished face and said, "Did you hear that, Dima?"

"Oh yes! And it's exactly right! Verbatim!"

Kruger noticed Wamba smiling a little—apparently amused at Bogdanov's enthusiasm—as he turned off the mic and returned to Yusuf's. "Doctor Yusuf, please give Danny something to read."

Yusuf turned several pages in the book and found something he liked to transcribe. He tore out the page from the notepad and placed it in front of Danny. Kruger transferred his attention to the other monitor where he saw Wamba pause her conversation with Bogdanov and pick up the pencil. She wrote something, then returned the notepad to Bogdanov who appeared confused.

"What does it say, Dima?" Kruger asked as he activated the mic to the other room.

" 'I only know of two things that are infinite. One is the Universe, the other, human stupidity. And I am not so sure about the Universe. Albert Einstein'... " Bogdanov looked inquisitively into the camera.

"That's correct!" Yusuf said. "Word for word!"

"This time," Kruger said to both rooms, "I intentionally didn't warn Miss Wamba of Danny's intent to transmit a message to her. Nevertheless, she was able to reproduce every word with absolute fidelity."

Wamba sighed with a slight shake of the head. "Daniel transmitted not. I heard what he read to himself. But I think you waste time here with what you have already established. I realize your world is generally oblivious to the plethora of phenomena that comprise the realm of psychic interactions—or at least, in your Western world. In my world, this field has been the subject of serious research for millennia."

"So," Bogdanov leaned forward with his bright eyes glued to Wamba through his glasses, "are you saying that, in your world, the realm of infinite potential locked within the human mind is accessible to you?"

Bogdanov's barely contained excitement didn't escape Kruger. He should stop this tangential line of questioning before it took them too far away from objective research. But his own curiosity took the overhand and he remained silent, leaving the microphones open for Yusuf and Danny to hear the discussion.

Wamba lowered her eyes in thought. Kruger supposed she was trying to find the best way to explain concepts probably familiar to her since high school. If her world even had such a school system.

"Have any of you ever reflected over the fact that what you believe possible – determines – most of the time, what you can or can not do? What a society considers normal, acceptable and possible, most of the time dictates what the populace can achieve? Their beliefs crystallize their reality."

"You mean, our ideas and beliefs influence reality? That reality is malleable?"

Bogdanov was in his element, and Kruger found himself, despite his composure, almost as excited as Bogdanov, absorbing each word from Wamba's lips. Speculating like this was like a breath of fresh air.

"There are an infinite number of possible outcomes for any action, any decision, any choice we make. Our beliefs help determine a specific outcome to crystalize, to become fixed—our reality. There are, however, a certain number of... more advanced individuals who, for a variety of reasons, believe, think, and express themselves differently. They can be dubbed explorers... pioneers. They expand the boundaries of what we believe possible. And so – we – overcome our limitations."

"Fascinating!" said Bogdanov. "So... how does that connect with telepathy and other psychic phenomena?"

"Telepathy – is an inborn capacity. It is present in all biological entities. Ever watched large number of animals acting in coordination? Whether insects, fish, birds, or even mammals?"

"Yes, yes!" Bogdanov blurted. "Somehow they seem to act as one, even though they might be millions! I've seen dolphins swim in beautiful dancing, precisely choreographed, as if a hidden conductor were telling them when and how to move. Yes, indeed, many examples of that behavior exist."

Wamba nodded once, smiling. "Humans also possess that potential, initially... and many others. We are born with it. If you observe children carefully, you will notice the way they seem to be – aware – of more than we can see, hear, or feel. Gradually, they start losing most of those abilities, responding to their parents' and society's careful and... continuous conditioning. By the time they are seven—or up to nine years old—they have been molded into an – 'acceptable' standard – of your 'normality'. As adults, you relegate what little you have left of that potential to labels such as 'gut feeling' or 'premonition', 'deja vu', and 'coincidence'... Or even dismiss them as psychosis... paranoia...schizophrenia... No acknowledgment of your inherent psychic abilities.

"Realize you what happens when a crowd of people turns into a mob? It is the unconscious – and irresponsible – expression of minds linking telepathically as one... See you what I mean?"

Kruger's jaw dropped. The idea had never occurred to him before. But he could see the connection clear as day.

"They are of one Noos, connected, as some animals are in their interdependence for survival... Like a hive mind... Of course, you have societies that are more broadminded. With many individuals possessing what you call 'paranormal' abilities. They retain their natural abilities and some develop theirs further. Your Native American peoples, for example. Places like Hawai'i with their Kahunas, or India, with their Siddhis, their gurus. Or even Tibet, where Lamas live. In such places, persons claiming to access a hidden reality are not subject to ridicule, harassment or discrimination. But here, Western civilization is in large part responsible for culling the few who somehow escape... mental programming."

Bogdanov's brow furrowed more as Wamba spoke. "Unfortunately, you're absolutely right." His tone was heavy and somber as he slowly shook his head. "They were burned... on the stake... Tortured or... locked in dark dungeons. For centuries, they were branded witches... demonized and killed!"

Kruger was stunned. Why would Bogdanov feel so strongly about the subject? Desperately, Kruger raked his mind for something to say to break the awkward silence.

It was Wamba who broke it. "Doctor Bogdanov," she said gently, "did you ever possess any of these abilities yourself?"

Bogdanov perked up. "Why, yes. As a matter of fact, I was pretty psychic myself. I could feel the attention of an old friend I hadn't seen for a long time, and that friend would telephone me or show up at my door. Or when any of my relatives were sick. Once I got this bad feeling at the last minute and didn't take the plane from Moscow to Tashkent. Later I found out it had crashed, killing everybody in the plane... and a lot of villagers. Of course, Izvestia didn't report the accident. Neither did TASS. I only heard about it from a friend working for the KGB." His face fell again. "But I lost it... Have been lost for many years now."

Wamba's face radiated empathy. After a moment, she spoke again, "I wonder... Doctor Bogdanov, would you like an opportunity – to recover your former disposition? It is not certain to work. There might be – barriers – in your mind—unsurmountable barriers. I believe it not, but I cannot be sure beforehand. Would you like to try? I can induce you into a light trance, then transmit a limited amount of information while you are in such a highly receptive mental state."

"Of course I would!" Bogdanov responded without hesitation. "What do I need to do? When do we start?"

Dr. Mahoney grabbed the mic, startling Kruger. "Have you lost your mind? Do you want to subject yourself to be experimented on by her? This is most unprofessional!"

Wamba looked into the camera. "There is nothing to fear. It is similar to the connection Danny and I share, albeit temporary."

"What—are you going to allow her into your mind? This is ridiculous! And could be dangerous! She's an alien! You don't know what ulterior—"

Kruger took the microphone from Mahoney and turned off the microphones to the rooms, leaving the audiphones open. "Calm down—there's no need for alarm. We're all professionals here. Besides, she's human and she's already helped one of our officers yesterday, remember? Dima, are you sure about this?"

"Yes, absolutely! I am a researcher. I'm willing to do anything to advance our understanding of the human mind."

"This is crazy," Mahoney muttered.

"Well, you've made your objections known," Kruger said, "and covered your ass. Doctor Bogdanov clearly stated his willingness to take any risk so we can gain more knowledge about psychic phenomena. Let's continue, shall we?" He spoke into the third mic, "Doctor Yusuf, I need you to move into the other room and set up sensors on Doctor Bogdanov to record his experience." Then he turned to his chief psychologist. "Doctor Mahoney, would you bring Mister McGahn in here?" That way, he could keep the boy entertained while also keeping an eye on him.

Danny took the two steps up to the raised floor of the observation room, his mind buzzing. He knew Mickmi was smart, but what he'd just heard were levels of discussion into topics he'd never experienced. Yes, he'd watched many a swarm of birds and insects and wondered how they communicated to behave like that. Or how Zorro—how Mickmi would sense things. But that those were inherent abilities that most people—that he himself had lost had him shaking his head to himself in wonderment.

He cast his gaze around. So this was where Dr. Kruger monitored everything from and where all the recordings took place. Multiple black-and-white TV-like screens, control panels, VCR recorders, and machines that tracked continuous jagged lines across narrow screens and reams of paper.

He looked through the window and his heart jumped for joy. Mickmi! He waved at her. —Hey, he mouthed.

She waved back, smiling. She was wearing that too-big t-shirt again, and all those wires, but she looked none the worse for wear from last night's adverse reaction.

The lab coat who'd managed Danny's side of the tests, Dr. Yusuf, was there, checking the wires attached to the lab coat sitting at the table with his back turned. Yusuf looked up to the window and gave Dr. Kruger a thumbs up as Dr. Mahoney entered the observation room.

"Come join me over here, Mister McGahn," Kruger said and activated a microphone. "So, what do you think? Is it a good idea to try this with Doctor Bogdanov?"

"I don't see why not." Danny looked at Bogdanov's face on the bigger screen. My God, he's like a schoolboy on his first date! The man looked way too enthused, almost giddy. "It's not like it's dangerous or anything. Just... a little weird, at first. But you get used to it."

Kruger nodded and looked past Danny at Mahoney for a moment. Then he sat down and returned to the mic. "Okay. Whenever you're ready, Miss Wamba, you can start. We're all set."

Mickmi smiled and focused on Bogdanov. "Try to relax... Breathe very slowly and deeply... Take deep breath." She continued speaking for a couple of minutes, her voice soothing.

Danny alternated between the window and the screens framing Mickmi and Bogdanov individually and the one showing both as they sat facing each other at the table with Dr. Yusuf standing to the side, watching.

"Are you ready, Doctor Bogdanov?" Mickmi asked.

"Yes, yes, very ready."

Mickmi closed her eyes and inhaled deeply.

Bogdanov did the same, his face gradually relaxing into serenity. After a few moments, an awed expression grew on his face.

Dr. Kruger bent closer to the screen. "Dima, can you describe what are you experiencing?"

For a long while, there was no response. Finally, Bogdanov drew a deep breath and released it noisily. "I feel... euphoric... Peaceful but not sleepy... No, not sleepy at all... I see... I see a lot of light. Everything is illuminated... the table, the chairs... the walls... So much light...Everything is fluctuating... vibrating... emitting bright beams of light... bright, piercing light. But... but I don't feel it in my eyes... The luminosity is everywhere... Not just outside, it's inside too...

"I see my body—it's not solid. It's... it's composed of many – millions – of filaments... very bright filaments... Something's moving along the filaments... Oh, the filaments ARE light... but some light is moving along them... Oooh – my – God... Tsiom krasivaya! Whaaat a beauty!"

Bogdanov fell silent, tilting his head in wonder as if to follow his focus behind his eyelids. "There's a very bright, egg-like sphere of light surrounding me... I see... a multitude of light pulses... zipping along the filaments... between... globular... light formations. All around are several multicolored nebulae of denser light... radiating... with a vast array ofof rays... of bright rays... expanding into space..."

Curious, Danny looked at the screen showing Bogdanov's face, but Dr. Kruger blocked most of the view, leaning so close that his nose almost touched the display. Danny switched to the one showing both Mickmi and the man at the table.

"I see the stars! ... No... Not stars... They are atoms! I see one atom... getting closer... Closer now... It's a molecule of dust floating in the air... in front of me... I see the nucleus... There are several protons and neutrons... A proton is growing... growing... It's huge! Oooh... what's that? It's flashing very quickly... No... No, it's not flashing... It's appearing and disappearing – rapidly... I—I—I don't understand... Where's it going when it disappears... where does it go? Into what?"

Something dark appeared under the man's nose. Danny frowned at it for a moment, then glanced through the window. Mickmi still had her eyes closed while Dr. Yusuf appeared just as engrossed with Bogdanov words as Kruger and Mahoney were. Concerned, Danny peered past Kruger at the lower half of Bogdanov's face to discover two black rivulets merge and reach the man's upper lip, spreading.

Oh no! Danny's stomach turned over in protest. "Sir, sir, look!"

With effort, Kruger tore himself from the display. "Yes, yes, what is it?"

Danny pointed a frantic finger. "Look, there's blood!"

— ∞ —

©2019 by kemorgan65

GLOSSARY:

Izvestia – A Russian national newspaper
Noos – Greek: mind
Molodiets – Russian: Bravo; good job
TASS – A Russian news agency
Tiom krasivaya – Russian: So beautiful

Credit:
Banner image created from images from Pixabay.com

Hivemind in flight video: Flight of the Starlings: Watch This Eerie but Beautiful Phenomenon by National Geographic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4f_1_r80RY

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

312 28 8
Elara Dillan cherished her peaceful days spent working in her Grandfather's local bookstore located on in a popular beachtown: Wave Crest, along the...
3.1K 377 38
He'd gone beyond his player ways for her. She'd grown beyond her traumatic past for him. Together, their love was beyond. Until one fatal accident. _...
114K 10.6K 45
[Complete. Wattys 2023 Winner] The Redding takes you if it knows your name. That's the rule that's kept Meg alive --- or awake, rather --- since the...