Natalie |Beyond Heights|

By dawndwrites

Natalie Bingham and Miles Pennington ****** Natalie Bingham always knew she was adopted. She has a very lovin... More

|Prologue|
|One|
|Two|
|Three|
|Four|
|Six|
|Seven|
|Eight|
|Nine|
|Ten|
|Eleven|
|Twelve|
|Thirteen|
|Fourteen|
|Fifteen|
|Sixteen|
|Seventeen|
|Eighteen|
|Nineteen|
|Twenty|
|Twenty-One|
|Twenty-Two|
|Twenty-Three|
|Twenty-Four|
|Twenty-Five|
|Twenty-Six|
|Twenty-Seven|
|Twenty-Eight|
|Twenty-Nine|
|Thirty|
Epilougue
A Pennington Story (Book 1 and Book 2)

|Five|

1.1K 82 26
By dawndwrites

Natalie

*****

The drama started sooner than I thought it would. With sixteen of us seated at the table, sparks are bound to fly. We talked about safe topics at first and everyone enjoyed Nicole's delicious brunch selections.

My sister is a fantastic cook and hostess. I could certainly take lessons from her. I wasn't all that interested in cooking. I can make some ridiculously good chocolate chip cookies, if I do say so myself. I learned from my mom.

The small talk ended abruptly. Uncle James started staring my father down with an icy stare. "Lucas, I'm having a hard time sitting here. I can't comprehend why you never mentioned that my sister delivered two babies. How did you live with yourself knowing about the existence of Natalie? How could you keep such a secret for twenty-eight years?"

My uncle was very calm as he leaned forward with his elbows on the table. He was keeping his temper at bay, but you could see rigid cords in his neck. His temple was beginning to pulse.

I saw beads of sweat appear on my father's forehead and redness colored his face. We all sat uncomfortably waiting for him to answer the question. I was hoping this would end peacefully.

He threw down his linen napkin. "To be honest James, I haven't. This has been the most difficult way of living. It was horrible to treat Nicole the way I did. Then, to sign for Natalie's adoption. . . I was lost, without Evelyn."

He struggled to speak. He had liquid trailing down his face. "I loved her and her loss was too great for me to fathom. I really have no words or excuses for what I've done. I can only hope that one day, somehow, my daughters can both forgive me. I hope you all can."

My father spoke apologetically and sincerely. It was heartfelt, and I didn't know what to do, feel, or say. The angst I felt was tangible, like I could reach out and soothe it.

"Daddy you have me, not just Nicole and Natalie. I'm still your daughter too." April felt it necessary to remind him, with tearful eyes. Jace patted her shoulder comfortingly. He really was a sweet man. He had to be, to deal with April.

June pressed her lips firmly together. "James, do you feel better bringing this topic up right now? You've gone and upset my daughter. She is Nicole and Natalie's sister."

"I think that's enough for now. . . Lucas has already revealed what took place when Natalie was born. This is difficult for all of us to process. He never even told me. And I can vouch for the fact that he loved your sister." She glanced at Lucas with tears in her eyes.

She started fanning herself, as wisps of her hair started hanging from her pristine French roll. She put her elbows on the table, lowering her head as she placed her hands on her forehead.

Mimi spoke up. "I agree with June, for once. It would be better if the girls spoke to their father in a more private setting. And that is for them to decide, when they are ready. I think we are all still reeling from the shock of this disclosure."

Mimi was right and wanted to maintain a semblance of peace.

Nicole stood and addressed everyone at the table. She clasped her hands in front of her. "I would rather speak about this matter at another time. Natalie, you are certainly welcome to speak to our father today."

She stilled for a moment. "You two are welcome to use Skyler's home office. I'm sure there are questions you'd like to ask him, and I respect your privacy. This is your first time meeting him."

I appreciated her candor and thoughtfulness.

"Well, why don't I clear off the dishes and help Nicole put dessert out?" Amelia sounded like a cheerleader. She was trying her hardest to turn this conversation around.

My brother looked at me with worry-filled eyes. "Nat, are you going to speak to Lucas." I noticed he didn't call him my father. No one could take the place of the man who raised me from infancy. He will always be Dad to me.

"I don't know if I'm ready yet, to have a heart to heart with my father." I stated simply.

Miles spun his head in my direction and placed his hand on mine. "Do you feel like going outside and getting some fresh air?" The light touch of his hand on mine startled me and gave me a tingling sensation.

Awkwardness enveloped the entire room for the rest of the brunch. I decided to take Miles up on his offer. His eyes were so kind and he was very attentive to me.

*****

Nicole lived in a very nice neighborhood, at the end of a Cul-de-Sac. Little kids with helmets on were riding their bikes and playing in their yards. I heard one child counting, playing hide and seek. "Ready or not, here I come." The air was filled with the sounds of children's laughter.

It was mind-blowing to see a man with a wheelbarrow full of fresh mulch. He dumped it into his flower beds. This was in February, it's so different here than in Seattle.

The dogwood trees were blooming and we passed beautiful, dark purple irises. Wisteria hung in clusters so elegantly on the side of one neighbors yard. I could picture myself living in Savannah, very easily.

Up ahead of us was the most beautiful Golden Retriever. He was big, but you could tell he was a puppy by his awkward movements. His owner was trying to train him, but he wanted to paw at his leash.

Miles chuckled. "That dog wants no parts of training today. I feel bad for his poor owner." Then he trained his eyes, observing me with intensity. I could feel his stare. What was he thinking?

People were very friendly, waving as Miles and I strolled by. "Hey Skyler! It's nice that you and your wife are taking a stroll on this fabulous day." One neighbor commented before starting up his lawnmower.

"I'm actually Skyler's brother, Miles. This is Nicole's twin sister, Natalie Bingham." He spoke in a way that made my pulse speed up. The man was so surprised at how much Miles resembled, Skyler. And he was shocked to learn that Nicole has a twin sister.

"So nice to meet you both. Enjoy your walk." His cheeks turned red as he waved. We thanked him and let him get back to his lawn work. It's so nice being here. There is nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass. It feels more like spring here in Savannah, than winter.

I was fidgeting, not quite sure what to do with my hands. They itched to reach out and hold Miles' hand. He placed his behind his back, kicking stones in our path. I was searching my mind for a topic of conversation.

Miles saved me. "How does it feel to be reunited with your family?" He questioned me with a sideways glance.

"I'm still recovering from the magnitude of shock, that I initially felt when my father called me."

"I can only imagine how crazy that must have been."

"You can say that again." I laughed nervously.

He kicked a rock as we continued roaming the sidewalk. "What's more amazing, is that I met you last year. Not knowing you were Nicole's sister."

"Who would've thunk it?" I sighed.

Miles slowed to a stop. He placed his hands on my shoulders, staring into my eyes. "If you ever need someone to talk to or just to vent, I'm here." His sincerity touched me.

"Thank you, I really appreciate that." I was stunned looking into his sky blue peepers.

"I know you have Logan, but I'm here for you too," he mentioned in a shaky voice.

I became timid all of a sudden. "My brother is usually my confidant. But it would be nice to have another listening ear." I stood toe to toe facing Miles and we both smiled a little self-consciously.

"Good, I'm happy I can be of service." He uttered cheerfully.

"You'll have to give me your cellphone number," I stated in a low tone. I couldn't believe I just said that. Awkward. . . I should have let him ask for my number.

He took his cellphone out of his pants pocket. "Why don't you give me your number. A gentleman should ask the lady for her phone number." He winked at my blushing face.

I knew I liked him. I gave him my phone number and he sent a text to my phone, with his number.

We finished our little saunter around the neighborhood. I enjoyed spending time with Miles. He made me laugh, which I really needed. He knew this was all difficult for me and tried to alleviate my fears. I thought it was sweet of him.

He was the same way when I met him last year after the race. He was just as handsome. He is tall, has dark brown hair with a slight waviness, exceptional blue eyes, and a deep rich voice. He resembles Skyler a lot, and it is evident that he's in great shape.

He wasn't the business suit type, like Skyler. He was more rugged, loved racing cars, and motorcycles. He probably loved off-roading too. He seems very adventurous and scares his poor mother. But I like his edgy personality. He's his own man, and doesn't care what others think of him. I like that about him.

"I guess I have to face my father at some point." I nodded my head in the direction of the front door.

He blew out a long breath. "Unfortunately, you do. But your experience may be different from Nicole's. She knew about him and wanted to be part of his life. You never missed him-you didn't even know he existed."

"That is very true and a good point." I shook my finger back and forth at him, before he opened the door for me to go inside. Miles seems like a deep thinker.

I stepped through the doorway, as Miles held the door for me and I got the shock of my life!

*****

                                                   Don't Forget to Vote/Comment ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3M 248K 96
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
2.8M 180K 87
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
157K 4.2K 23
Madison starts to plan for her wedding with Lexington but is her wedding gonna be over before it even started. The Bridal Series Book #2 Sequel To F...
371K 23.1K 20
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...