The Secrets of Cedar Creek

By aurora_rain

There's something right about Sylv. It's the way he makes Rose feel when he touches her. It's the way he can... More

1 : Down Came the Rain
2 : Stolen Kisses
3 : Baby Powder
4 : Gorgeous and Innocent
5 : Shadow River Manor
6 : Oh Darling, I'm With You
7 : The War Room
8 : Dear Diary
9 : Deadmen Drop
10 : Snow White and the Seven Secrets
11 : I See Lace
12 : Rapture
14 : Good Night, Rose
15 : Three Rules
16 : The Library
17 : Destroying You, Rose
18 : Flowers in the Attic
19 : Into the Lions Den
20 : It's Not About Us
21 : Secrets in the Walls
22 : The Biggest Smile
23 : The Jacket
24 : The Next Train
25 : Scott
26 : The Presly Hotel
27 : Endless Nightmares
28 : Pretty Little Flowers
29 : Crashes and Burns
30 : Everything Is Dark
31 : Reality
32 : Sweat and Tears
33 : Betrayal
34 : That's the One
35 : My Thoughts Are Louder
36 : I F*cking Know You
37 : My New Boyfriend
38 : Back to Hell
39 : Red
40 : Adrian's Lips
41 : C for Clueless
42 : Butterfly Falls
43 : Friendly Neighbourhood Pyro
44 : Ding Dong the B*tch is Dead
45 : My Knight in Shining Armour
46 : Cinderella
47 : I Wish That I Could Wake Up With Amnesia
48 : The Fox Hunt
49 : Everyone is Suspicious
50 : Christopher
51 : Case Closed
52 : The Little Boy
53 : Run Back to Him
54 : She Knew
55 : A Strike Of Lightning
56 : He Lets Me Walk
57 : Dangerous Waters
58 : Weightless
59 : Legendary
60 : The Premiere
61 : Like a Dream
CAST

13 : Her Mind's Like A Diamond

1.2K 51 28
By aurora_rain

Recommended listen for this chapter : Carmen - Lana Del Ray

I've got to give credit where its due: Rapture is something special. It's sexy and mesmerising. A circular bar is in the middle, the countertop glows white and reflects on the mosaic mirror tiling on the ceiling. Surrounding the bar are different circular seating arrangements, all curtained with similar mosaic mirror chandeliers and hanging lights. The room shines like a galaxy full of diamonds.

The furthest side from us is where the actions at: more glowing table tops, dancers and live music. The hostesses have a new uniform – instead of the little black dresses they all wore, the scandalous women are clad in silver sequined dresses with low cut, exposed backs.

Iris for once seems to show a similar look of awe. His dark eyebrows are raised, his eyes scan the room like he's found hidden treasure, and he looks at me like the leprechaun at the end of the rainbow.

"Wow," he says.

One of the doormen stamps the back of our hands with the Rapture mark – something to build up the hype, sort of like free advertisement. Even though it will wash off with water.

That's when Boss comes up to us. "Welcome to Rapture, please, leave your coats at the-" she pauses and glances over me. "No, it couldn't be..."

I purse my lips into my best attempt at a smile. "Hey, Boss-"

"Oh, Jade, my precious girl. It's been too long! What gives us the honour of being in your gracious presence?" she leans over and gives me a hug, nearly squeezing out the snails in my stomach.

Boss is gorgeous in her own way. Her nose is pointed, sharp – her eyes are beady, with long, barbed eyebrows. She has long, black hair tonight, straightened and shiny. Her makeup is heavy, one could say that she draws inspiration from drag. She is almost scary, with a need to dominate and control. She is a good host though. She knows how to manipulate people, how to draw in crowds, how to keep her customers, and workers, happy. But knowing she has a dark, cold and domineering side is key to surviving in her world.

"Just giving my..." I look to Iris and wonder what to call him, "I'm giving my business partner a tour of the hottest places in Juniperville."

Boss steps forward, giving Iris a once over. "Well, you've come to the right place. What a handsome business partner you have there, doll." She leans in and kisses his cheek in greeting. "Do let me know if you have any other business enquiries," she winks.

Iris smiles his seductive smile, giving me a sideways glance. He takes off his coat and scarf. I pause for a second, running my fingers over the fabric of my coat, before finally pulling it off. I catch Iris looking back at me and my breath catches.

Boss leads us through the crowds of the club, a heavy night – far more than usual. I get caught a few steps behind.

Iris looks back at me – almost with a look of concern. I feel a hand grab mine, and recognize the slender and stern fingers as Adrian's. He pulls me forward, keeping up with Boss. I try to hold back the shock and utter hypnosis.

By the time Boss has found us a place at the bar, Iris releases my hand. There's a cold absence where his hand once ignited something.

"Drinks on the house," Boss says, kissing me again on the cheek before saying, "I've got to run around a bit, Jade, but I'll catch up with you soon." Boss walks away.

Adrian leans on the bar top. "Do tell me why she calls you Jade," he says.

"Nickname," I put simply.

He scrutinises me, like he doesn't believe me. "You got to be honest with me here, Rose."

"Why's that?"

"Because we're partners."

I lean over the bar and order us some shots. I take two quickly, in desperate need of a distraction. Although this place is beautiful, I can't help but feel anxious and fidgety. I promised Sylv I'd never come back here.

Adrian eyes me up and down.

I order another drink – a vodka raspberry – just to mix it up a little (yes, I know pink lemonade is for kiddies but I have a young soul, ok?)

"Don't get too wasted," Iris says.

"You're the one that wanted to go to a club, Iris," I retort.

Someone accidentally pushes me from behind and I fall into Adrian. He puts his hands on my waist to steady me. I look up into his eyes – instantly embarrassed – and balance myself.

"Sorry," I say. Finally, the alcohol seems to hit me and everything moves a little slower.

The music stops. All eyes trail to the stage.

Boss holds a mic in her palms. I now notice the purple dress she's wearing – something Starfire would be proud of. It glows with a supernatural sort of sheen. "Tonight," she begins, instantly electrifying the crowd, "tonight, I have a very special gift for you all," she says, slurring her words with a mix of charisma and sex appeal. "Some of you might be familiar with this sexy star, some of you might first be blessed with her presence tonight, some of you may have already imagined her before in your darkest, most intimate fantasies." She pauses and looks at me – she finds me in the middle of the crowd.

Something stirs in my chest – rising anticipation mingled with anxiety.

She looks at the crowd like she's seducing them. "Let's hear it for Rapture's very own, Jade Wild." The room goes wild with applause.

Except for me. My face goes blank. My heart stops. I stop breathing – I think I even stop blinking.

Iris nudges me, "Rose?"

"Come up here, Jade," Boss calls over the mic catching my eyes.

The crowd parts for me like the red sea and I find myself walking up to the stage. Somehow, I'm on the stage. The lights are blinding. My palms get sweaty.

Boss pats my back, leading me up to the microphone, then looks over to the band as if she's rehearsed this a million times. On her signal, they start playing an all too familiar melody.

"Why are you doing this?" I whisper to her.

"You know I'm best at bringing a show," she steps down off the stage and I'm all alone.

Something instinctive inside me tells me to move to the music, so I follow. I let the crowd's energy drift to me and I soak it up. I know this song. This is my song.

I run my hands down the microphone stand.

Memories of Boss teaching me what to do flicker through my mind. Caress it, run your hands along it – let people think about your hands over them. Tease them. Be their sexiest fantasy. You have the voice, you have the body. Use your sex appeal. You're special, Jade. You have something very few people have. And one day, you will run this place without me, and it will be spectacular.

Like I'm in a movie, I do my oldest performance. I know the routine back to front, even though I haven't sang like this or moved like this in two years. For a second, I think I spot him in the crowd, different memories mixing into my vision.

I catch Adrian Iris' eyes at some point and can't let go of them. I find myself singing to him, running my hands over the mic and wishing its him that I'm touching.

And as soon as it began, it's over. The crowd is cooing, screaming with fever and energy like nothing I've ever experienced before – or maybe I've just forgotten how liberating it is. The only difference is this time I kept my clothes on.

.

.

.

Adrian whisks me out of Rapture and as the alcohol wears off, I find myself in the passenger seat. "You want to tell me what that was?" he asks curiously.

The sky is dark which makes the stars shine even brighter. It's still cold, so I wrap my coat around me like a blanket.

"I didn't know you could sing. I didn't know you could... move like that," he says, seemingly lost for words.

"I haven't done that in a long time," I say, sniffling and brushing my hair from my eyes. "I used to work there."

"You were... a stripper?"

"A performer, thanks," I say condescendingly – I'm not in the mood to be judged. "I just sang - was a bit of a bartender."

"I'm not judging you," he says, reading my mind, "I thought you were mesmerising."

My heart beat speeds up. "Thanks," I manage the strength to mutter. "I don't do that anymore, I haven't for two years."

"I didn't recognise the song."

"I wrote it."

He pauses again, adjusting his grip on the steering wheel. "I know a writer when I see one."

_____________

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to vote, comment and woo over Iris - or Sylv - or Rose... whoever tickles your pickle. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 102 44
Alexis Smith has lost everything and when her father comes back into her life offering everything, she doesn't know who she can trust. As she searche...
728 122 42
You know that one town where nothing bad ever happens? Well, after a tragedy hits it can only go downhill from there. Madison Banks knows that better...
21.9K 519 54
The beginning chapters of this story have been revised and rewritten. #2 out of 2.1K stories in secretlove- Oct 12, 2023 #7 in secretlove - Feb 6, 2...
54.2K 1.7K 23
[COMPLETED] Enemies Kelsey and Adrian are forced to tolerate each other when a murderer is running lose, killing their classmates. β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž β€Ž...