Been Here All Along

By emilyann-

"Ian Miller was the light. He made everything better and everything easier. When I had to wake up at 7 in the... More

Disclaimers & Cast
00| prologue
01| home
02| enlistment
03| psychological pain
04| seclude
05| reconcile
06| first
07| army man
08| habitual
09| eins
10| worth
11| traumatic
12| woods
13| change
14| over
15| dreams
16| feelings
17| again
18| ajar
19| imagine
20| despacito
21| sanity
22| closer
23| kisses
24| secrets
26| move-in
27| steps
28| past
29| essence
30| farewell
31| weight
32| forward
33| beautiful
34| growth
35| agony
36| lost
37| grieve
38| destiny
39| we
40| defense
41| endlessly
42| closure
43| teen
44| stunning
45| surviror
46| news
47| finale
48| epilogue

25| sleepover

1.5K 57 4
By emilyann-

"With you, I feel a comfort I have never felt before." - Komal Koopar

   From Ian's bed that was on the opposite side of his apartment as his kitchenette, I watched as he moved around without his shirt on, cooking breakfast for us. I've told him that cooking shirtless is dangerous, but he says he "does what he has to for his audience," aka me. He's such a goon.

   I pulled his blankets tighter around me considering my body was previously depending on Ian's for warmth. Now that he's up and moving around, I'm cold.

   "You look like a burrito," Ian chuckled when he stopped cooking for a second to look over at me.

   Being half naked in a bed alone is not the easiest way to stay warm. I've got to get my heat from something; if that's means wrapping myself tightly in blankets to resemble a burrito, then so be it.

   "F off," I murmured. I wiggled around so I was on my stomach and my face was buried in my pillow. I couldn't help the embarrassing squeal the escaped when I felt an immense amount of weight on top of me that rolled next to me, creating a dip in the bed.

   "Hi, beautiful, you come here often?"

   I picked my head up off the pillow to look at Ian with a playful grimace. We both know that I am so far from looking beautiful right now. I woke up 15 minutes ago and I have not moved, meaning my hair is a huge rats nest, my breath smells terrible, and I'm not even dressed.

   "Not for long," I teased. When he pretended to pout, I leaned forward and kissed the tip of his nose sweetly. "Kidding, love. Let's go eat some eggs."

   I jumped up from bed, scurrying over to Ian's closet to claim a new hoodie to wear. I have to have at least 3 hoodies and 4 t-shirts of his at this point.

   "That's my favorite hoodie, Jos, I want it back."

   "Your favorite hoodie on your favorite girl," I winked, striking a pose in it to model for him.

   Ian chuckled and came over to kiss me. "You're lucky I love you."

   I know I am.

   We sat down at his small, wooden round table across from each other, each with a plate of scrambled eggs. Ian drowned his in ketchup like he has always done while I ate mine plain. I used to eat them with a little bit of ketchup, but after continuously watching Ian basically eat a bottle of ketchup with a side of eggs, it made me sick.

   "What time do you work today?"

   "10 to 8," I groaned. Kelly begged me to cover her shift because her boyfriend is "going through it" as she put it. I felt bad, so I agreed. Naturally, my 10 to 3 shift turned to 10 to 8. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get out early.

   Ian glanced at the clock and frowned. It's only 8 now, but I stupidly didn't bring any work clothes and I still need to shower before I head to work.

   "When do you work today?"

   "5 to close. I have to help Mr. Westchester with some stuff." So basically I won't be seeing Ian for the rest of the day, which is kind of sad. I'm so used to seeing so much of him all of the time; most people would say "it makes me wonder how I ever got by without him," but for me, it just makes me remember how I barely did.

  I'm mentally, emotionally, and physically attached to him; it's borderline unhealthy.

   "You should move in with me," Ian blurted out. I stopped eating, slowly lowering my fork onto my plate to look at him. He bit his lip, realizing how anti-precautionary his proposal was. "Let me try that again." He cleared his throat, setting his fork down too. "Josie, I would love it if you moved in with me because I truly love spending as much time with you as possible. I love falling asleep next time you every night, and waking up every morning to see your beautiful bedhead. I want us to finally share a home." That was a much better proposal than his impromptu one. How could I say no?

   "Of course," I agreed. I leaned over the table, careful not to let my hair fall in his nasty ketchup and eggs, and kissed him. "I love you."

   "I love you," he grinned. "And besides, we spend most days and nights at each other's places anyway. Might as well make it official."

   Yeah, the only thing that will really be changing is me officially moving my clothes and personal items from my apartment with Kaila to Ian's.

   Kaila... wow. I almost forgot that moving in with Ian means moving out without Kaila. As much as I love Ian, I cannot imagine not living with her. For the past three years, we've lived together and seen each other every single day.

   I have to see what she says. I could never just leave her like that.

   "Are you okay?" Ian must have noticed the change in my mood when the reality of the situation dawned on me.

   Ian stood up when I did. He reached out and put his hands on my shoulders to get a better look at me. "I just want to go home and talk to Kaila. I want to make sure it's okay, you know?" I don't want Ian to think I don't want to live with him, but I just need to make sure she will be okay if I go. She has been indefinitely there for me these past four years and if she needs me to stay, I will. I would not resent her for a second.

   Ian pulled me into his embrace and rubbed my back soothingly. "Of course I understand, Jos. Go talk to her. If you don't move in, that's alright. We can still have our fun sleepovers, and you could even get some clothes of your own to have here so you don't have to keep stealing mine." He said, cracking a joke to lighten the mood some.

   Well, he might have not been necessarily joking, but I chose to take it as a joke. Being in a relationship means your clothes are my clothes.

   I gave him a kiss on his cheek for being his usual sweet and understanding self, then went to go put on my clothes from last night to go home.

~•~

   "Kaila," I borderline cried out when I barged into our apartment. I looked around the place that's been my home for three years and as soon as I laid eyes on a picture of Kaila from move-in day, I broke down.

   Literally, balling on the floor of my apartment.
   Aunt flow is definitely on her way to town.

   "Jos?" Kaila grumbled as she emerged from her bedroom, still in her pjs. I definitely just woke her up. "Why are you crying? What's wrong?" She hurried over to my side. The sleepiness in her eyes was completely replaced with concern.

   "Ian asked me to move in with him," I said in between sobs. I'm so overdramatic right now, I'd be embarrassed if it was anyone besides Kaila.

   "Josie, that's awesome!" She smiled largely. "Why are you crying, you nut?!" She demanded as she nudged my shoulder. The fact that she couldn't stop smiling out of pure happiness for me was reassuring enough to get me to stop crying.

   "I don't want to leave you, Kai."

   Kaila chuckled softly and hugged me. "Just because you're moving out does not mean we are going to stop seeing each other and being close. You're stuck with me, girly. No matter the distance or the circumstances."

   "So you really think it's a good idea?" I didn't really think about it before, but what if something goes wrong? Like what if, God forbid, Ian gets called back into duty and he has to leave again? There's so much that could go wrong.

   "I've never seen two people as in love with each other as you two are. Stop wasting time."

   As always, Kaila is right. I watched my parents marriage fall apart from day one, but Ian is my constant reminder that love is real, that love doesn't have to be as hard and hurtful as my parents make it seem. With my strong emotions for Ian, I can't let anything hold me back.

   "Of course, I am going to miss you though."

   "Well, duh," I joked. For one of the last times as roommates, Kaila and I hugged on the floor of the living in room in our apartment.

~•~

   Having worked here for nearly 10 years definitely has its perks. For example, considering I'd taken Kelly's shift, I should've had to work playground duty for two hours, but Mr. Westchester moved me to the ice cream parlor. It wasn't much better, but it beats sitting out in the sun, watching kids slide down slides.

   I don't know how Kelly does it. She's the only one who doesn't complain about playground.

"Josie," Jocey smirked when she walked into the parlor with the parlor visor on. "I thought Rosie was working parlor today?"

"Kelly needed someone to take her shift, and I was not trying to do playground today. I talked Rosie into switching. I just have to bring her a scoop of ice cream every 30 minutes." For some reason, today is hotter than it normally is. Usually at this point in September is when we start to veer toward the cooler Florida temperatures, but today is still an excruciating 85 degrees.

Given the fact it's a Sunday, too, it's only a matter of time before people begin piling in. Church is over now and people will begin rolling in any minute.

"The herd has arrived," Trevor's voice came over the walkie-talkie attached to Jocey's hip. "This is not a drill."

Trevor and Tristan, the twins, were hired at a slightly young age, only 14 years old, but they are honestly a hoot and a half. They keep Westchester alive by doing things like bringing walkie-talkies to work sometimes and talking in code over them. The reason they get away with working here so young is the fact they are certified lifeguards because of their years of swim experience — lifeguarding the waterpark is pretty much the only position they really ever fill.

Just as Trevor promised, herds and herds of people came bombarding through the park. Some kids made a beeline for the waterpark, others dragged their parents to the beach for the sand, very few went to bombard Rosie at the playground, and the rest decided ice cream was the move. Yay.

"This 8 hour shift is not it today," I mumbled once we served the last couple of costumers from the rush. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to get up so early when I was already up late, but I did have to wake up at the crack of dawn basically.

I guess that'll be changing pretty soon since Ian and I will be moving in together. No more having to wake up early to go home and shower and change into work clothes or get my school stuff before heading to campus. I will already be home.

"I'm going to go on break, do you want me to call Rosie in for now?"

Jocey glanced out the window to see what the park was looking like, people wise, and shrugged. "Sure why not?"

I grabbed my phone from the back room and went outside to get Rosie. She'd only be in the parlor for about 15 minutes for my break time, which means she won't have to deal with too many customers.

   I speed-walked to the lounge where Ian said he'd be doing some work for Mr. Westchester. I was getting antsy to tell him I will, in fact, move in with him.

"Hey, E," I said, taking a seat across from him at the desk he was working at. "What are you up to?"

"Just checking some emails for Mr. W," he answered as he closed his laptop. He leaned back in his chair and smirked at me. "What can I do for you, Ms. Pappstein?"

He definitely has the authority vibe to him. He looked hot in his professional get-up of a suit and tie and neatly combed hair.

"Well, Mr. Miller, I have some riveting news to deliver from your girlfriend." I played along.

"I like the sound of this."

"She wants you to know she cannot wait to move in with you."

"Really?" Ian beamed, breaking character. "I'm so glad, Jos." I met him halfway around the desk to hug and kiss him.

"If we love each other, then why waste time?" Time is of the essence and I refuse to waste any more of it.

"I couldn't agree more."

•••

Good early afternoon to everyone!
I'm currently sitting in stats, doing nothing. Just took a quiz, and it went one of two ways — either really good or really bad. I have a feeling it was not too hot....

How are y'all?

I haven't got much to say but here's a few countdowns to days I'm looking forward to, if any of you can match my excitement!

Spring break trip to Florida: 39 days
Stuco states: 29 days
Last day of HS ever: 91 days
Shawn Mendes concert: 164 days

YAY! Can't wait :)

Don't forget to...
Vote
Comment
Follow
Share
Check out my other stories!

- Emily
B.E. Better Everyday

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 468 22
Paige and Jackson were best friends growing up, window neighbours and the closest people in their grade. That was until Jackson grew up and moved on...
691K 19.8K 49
#๐Ÿ โ€ข ๐€ ๐†๐จ๐จ๐ ๐†๐ข๐ซ๐ฅ'๐ฌ ๐“๐š๐ฅ๐ž. โBe my girlfriend, Cassie. And I'm not taking no for an answer.โž โI wasn't going to say no.โž โ€ข When your best...
235K 6.4K 84
โ€ขโ€ขCompleteโ€ขโ€ข ||Monaro Family: book 3|| โ€ขLeoโ€ข I've been in the army since I turned 18. I'm now 24. Being a soldier is all I know. Currently, I'm hom...
1.2K 49 37
Between trying to be independent in Uni, fighting nightmares and anxiety, Jane-Tashely had never given love the time of day, she already had her plat...