The Town (Book 1, Lonstino...

By moudenes

Ximena Gaytan moves temporarily to the coastal town of Lonstino to work on her newest romance book and mend h... More

Chapter 1 - Writer's Block
Chapter 2 - The Mechanic
Chapter 3 - The Dreamer
Chapter 4 - The Professor
Chapter 5 - The Candy Maker
Chapter 6 - Moving In
Chapter 7 - The Entrepreneur
Chapter 8 - Fresh Bread
Chapter 9 - Sweet as Candy
Chapter 10 - Appearances
Chapter 11 - Julio's
Chapter 12 - Heart to Heart
Chapter 13 - An Unexpected Call
Chapter 14 - Double Trouble
Chapter 15 - Breaking the Ice
Chapter 16 - Bad Memories
Chapter 17 - Assumptions
Chapter 18 - Saved
Chapter 19 - Letters
Chapter 20 - Confessions
Chapter 21 - Brainstorm
Chapter 22 - Paragraph
Chapter 23 - Encounter
Chapter 24 - Pastry Box
Chapter 25 - Raincheck
Chapter 26 - Bitter
Chapter 27 - Realization
Chapter 29 - Truth
Chapter 30 - Hope
Chapter 31 - Date
Chapter 32 - Boys
Chapter 33 - Deirdre
Chapter 34 - Hannah
Chapter 35 - Justice
Chapter 36 - Evening
Chapter 37 - Solutions
Chapter 38 - Catfight
Chapter 39 - Bail
Chapter 40 - Sea Rose
Chapter 41 - Plans
Chapter 42 - Ideas
Chapter 43 - Fire
Chapter 44 - Meeting
Chapter 45 - Oliver
Chapter 46 - Suspect
Chapter 47 - Gone
Chapter 48 - Frustration
Chapter 49 - Regret
Chapter 50 - Welcome Party
Chapter 51 - All for Ximena
The Town - The Playlist

Chapter 28 - Options

9.1K 437 23
By moudenes

BRIAN

The beginning of October has arrived to our doorstep and I've been busier than ever. The fairgrounds website seems to be attracting people from out of town and the test weekends with a general admission price have been successful. We have started working on the plans for the food court which ended up being simpler than I expected. The souvenir shop is now empty and Jaden and Lewis have been putting their heads together on how to integrate it into the fairgrounds theme. This morning, I made a stop at the café to share the blueprints for Charlie's leased area and my heart filled with joy at the sight of the first holiday pastries on display.

For this weekend, I ran an ad for a family package and I hope it works to bring the locals back to the grounds. As I walked inside, I saw a line of cars riding towards the parking and felt hopeful. Today I'm managing the ticket booth during the first opening hours to keep an eye on the sales, and later, I'll supervise the Love Boat area that we have transformed into a haunted house for Halloween. Horror seems to make teens even hornier than normal.

"A family package," my next customer says and the voice sounds familiar.

I lift my gaze from the cash register to see Ximena, Lewis and the boys. He looks happier than I have ever seen him, even more than when he moved to Lonstino. Hannah's betrayal turned him into an empty shell with a permanent sad look in his eyes, but things seem to be changing for him. I heard from Greg that the kids and Lewis were ill last weekend and Ximena took care of them. I felt quite outraged that Hannah brought them back because they were sick, but didn't surprise me as I have known her all my life and I know what a selfish bitch she can be.

"You know you don't need to pay here," I say and Ximena gives me a bright smile.

"We want to. Think of it as our treat to you to celebrate all the good things going on around here."

Her words warm my heart and I come out of the booth, after asking another employee to continue with the next customer, to hold Ximena and Lewis in a hug. My feelings towards Ximena have become clearer as the days go by, and I know that wherever she ends up I will always have her friendship and support.

"Are you guys feeling better?" I ask Michael and Luke and they nod. "Did you enjoy having Ximena take care of you?" 

Ximena's face shows surprise and Lewis looks slightly embarrassed.

"She made us toast with jelly and peanut butter and cut it in dry-angles," Luke says and smiles cheekily at Ximena.

"Triangles," Lewis corrects him.

"He knows the word well and likes to test if we are alert," she winks at Luke who grins. "I'm glad I could help and now that everyone is well we can enjoy the fairgrounds." 

"I'm really happy you are all here. Ximena, can I have a word with you about the website? Lewis, you should take a peek at your new space. I think you'll be pleased with the size now that it's empty."

"Sure," Ximena says. "Guys, don't get started without me!"

Lewis heads to the new space. Ximena crosses her arms over her chest and raises an eyebrow.

"This isn't about the website, right?"

"You guessed right. Do you have feelings for Lewis?"

"What if I do?" She challenges.

"Then I'm happy for you because that probably means that staying in Lonstino is an option. I don't know Lewis as well as Charlie and Greg do, but I know that he is a caring man and deserves a woman who will also care about him. You are perfect for him, but if you are still considering returning to Greenwood, then you will break his heart."

"Brian... I haven't made up my mind to be honest. I'm trying to enjoy the moment and besides a few kisses, Lewis and I are not rushing into anything."

"I know you'll do the right thing."

Lewis walks back with the kids and sports a smile filled with excitement.

"It's indeed larger than I anticipated. We can certainly turn it into something special that people can visit before they go home."

"Serendipity..." Ximena says and Lewis nods.

The way they look and smile at each other means more to them than to me. The boys get impatient and the connection between them breaks. As they walk away, I feel hopeful that one day I find a woman who looks at me in that way.

JADEN

Besides being almost like a brother to me, Brian is one of the persons in my life who actively supports my art skills. The interior of the food court will be done by a local company, but he has asked me to take care of all the signage. The sawdust and paint splatters on my clothes are the proof of my efforts. In front of me, I have four restaurant name signs, and I have done the basic painting for the Lonstino Café one. Next I'll work on the one for Julio's then the one for Pampas, which is owned by one of Nick's friends. Nick is still deliberating on whether Roma should join, but knowing him and how he never misses a business opportunity, it will be a matter of days before he accepts. During the week, I'll work on Lewis pastry shop for which we have agreed to paint in blue with a golden trim. Once he decides on the name, I will also make a sign for it in the same style I used on the window of Candy Pier.

I enjoy being a mechanic and fixing things because I know it makes people relieved that they don't have to buy something new. I enjoy being my own boss and earning well from it, but creative projects are what fulfills me most. People will enjoy my work for years to come, it's my legacy to this town, which isn't a perfect one but it's mine.

"Jaden? Are you here?" I hear a female voice say from the kitchens.

"In the dining area," I shout back as I mix the next paint colors I'll need.

"Is that ours? It looks beautiful!"

Jess comes to stand next to me and stares at the work bench where the signs lay. So to see she came here straight from the café as she's still wearing the uniform and her long hair is in a braid.

"I'm glad you like it. It still needs a few details," I say while she moves in front of me to take a closer look.

"When it's done we should send a photo to Dad. He designed the logo for the café and will love to see your interpretation for the fairgrounds."

"The contractor and his team will be here tomorrow to start working on your space. You should be able to start moving your stuff next weekend. Brian sold the old mismatched tables and chairs and the new ones will get delivered on Wednesday. People in the city seem to like old shit, they were gone on the same day."

"Not old shit Jaden, it's called vintage," she rolls her eyes and laughs.

"What are you doing here?"

"Brian delivered the blueprints and I was trying to figure out how much space it is. I decided to just come and look at it myself instead of guessing," she shows me a pack of stapled papers.

"Let me see," I take the papers from her hand and my fingers linger over her soft skin.

The papers fall on the workbench as my hands cup her face and I kiss her. I've loved Jess since we were kids and I will always love her.

"Jaden..." she places her hands on my chest.

"You know I'm not good with words, but you know I love you. I wish we could be together again. I'm incomplete without you."

Her silence is killing me as she stares into my eyes.

"Say something... Please..."

"I love you, but I will only consider getting back together when you let go of your past and forgive yourself. You are so worth loving, but you need to love yourself first."

I only nod. In the weeks before we broke up, I started feeling insecure and not enough for her. People still talk about me and my criminal past. Jess is a decent woman from a good family and I feared that her reputation would become tarnished by being with me.

"I will show you that I have changed. People in this damned town will always talk about me, but I've stopped caring about the gossip. I want to be us again, to spend the nights cuddling in bed while you read me a book. I want to let the pancakes burn because I can't get enough of your lips in the morning. I want to stare at the sea with you and dream about our life together."

"You said you weren't good with words," she smiles and takes a step aside to gather the blueprints.

"Jaden Stone?" A deep voice asks saying behind us.

Jess' face shows surprise and slight fear. I turn around to see two policemen and Aidan, the security guard from the Connor's property.

"That's my name," I say.

"We need you to come with us to the station."

"What's going on, Jaden?" Jess asks and trembles.

"I don't know, but seems I'm going to find out."

I know that resisting is pointless, so I turn around and extend my arms. I feel the handcuffs in place and get escorted to the patrol car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42 2 1
Lin gets caught up in a new romance but it isn't plain sailing.
208K 6.7K 73
Delaney James has it all: a handsome husband who just made partner at his law firm, a gorgeous townhouse in NYC's Upper East Side, and a blossoming c...
37.4K 2K 24
When you're lost, sometimes the only place you can go is home. Broken over the death of her fiancé, Molly leaves law school to return to her childhoo...
18 2 12
In the heart of the city, Sophie's life takes an unexpected turn when she meets two intriguing individuals who represent her dreams and her doubts. A...