Secrets of a Southern Belle

By _haileyyk

Everyone has secrets that they keep. The town of Darling is full of them, and the townspeople will do anythin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 35

1.4K 71 6
By _haileyyk

As soon as we got to the Dixon's house, my dad was waiting outside, ready to greet me. I barely stepped out of the truck before his arms enveloped me into a big hug. To be honest, it made me feel like a little kid again, like when I would hug him every day when he got home from work.

I sighed contently. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas." He hugged me tighter before letting me go. "Are you hungry?"

"I've never heard of Rae turn in' down a meal, Mr. Haywood," Wesley chimed in as he shut his door.

My dad chuckled at Wesley's comment and nodded. "You're right."

My brows shot up. "No, he is not," I argued.

Wesley gave me a stern look. "Don't start this again, Rae. We already had this discussion on the way over here," he scolded me like my dad.

I huffed at his comment, but relented at fighting back. It must be the Christmas spirit. My dad and Wesley laugh at my annoyance as my dad leads us to the house, where we are met with an interesting sight—my brother and Rhett were fighting with each other while Sawyer was holding up a humongous Christmas tree with one hand.

When they noticed our presence, the bickering stopped and smiles bigger than the tree grew on their faces.

"Uh..." I sputtered, not knowing what to say to this sight.

"Hey, Rae!" Sawyer greeted while still holding the tree in the air. "We got a Christmas tree to decorate."

"You mean I got the Christmas tree," Rhett claimed with an annoyed expression. "You ran around like a puppy and tried to catch snowflakes."

My eyes widened and I tried to suppress a snort from the image in my head. My brother catching snowflakes as a dog. Wesley must of thought that it was equally as funny because his hand was covering his mouth, and his face was turning an interesting shade of pink.

"I was guardin' the area! Rhett, you kn—" Sawyer argued. "Dammit, Rhett!"

The next thing I knew, the tree was thrown to the floor and Sawyer tackled an amused Rhett. They wrestled on the ground for about ten seconds before Jason walked in and put a stop to it. With one whistle, they immediately got off of the ground and off of each other.

Everyone was still laughing as my brother continued to glare at the green-eyed werewolf.

"That's the Christmas spirit, guys," Jason declared as he patted the boys on their backs. He then turned to me. "Sorry, Rae. Things can get crazy in this house. It's like animals live here."

Another giggle escaped my lips. "It's okay. I didn't realize that I'd get a show with dinner tonight."

With that comment, Rhett smirked and locked eyes with me. I let out a breath of air. I will never get used to him looking at me with his exotic-looking eyes. I tried not to blush in front of everyone.

"Well, the tree was supposed to be decorated before you got here, but seein' as that task fell short...do you want to help decorate it?" Jason asked me with a warm smile.

I glanced at my dad, thinking about how every Christmas season my whole family would decorate the tree together and sing Christmas carols. I haven't had a Christmas with him in what felt like forever. I'm happy that I finally get to again. I never thought that I would, but miracles happen every day.

"I'd love to." I headed over to the now upright tree. Sawyer handed me a box of decorations. "Dad, do you want to help?"

"Of course, kiddo. I don't want to miss another Christmas with ya'll ever again," he replied before kissing me on my head and patting my brother on the back. "I'm happy ya'll are here tonight."

Sawyer nodded as he grabbed some ornaments from the box in my arms, "Us too."

I give them both a big hug and then began to decorate one side of the beast of a tree. I glanced over at my family. Watching my dad and Sawyer decorate the tree made me both happy and sad. Sad because I feel guilty that we are experiencing this with him and my mom wasn't. I know how much she misses him and how upset she was that I was missing out on our traditions at home tonight. I wish that she knew about him so that they can be reunited, but I know that's impossible.

Rhett must sense that something was off with me because he lightly grabbed my wrist. "You alright?" He asked, gazing intently into my eyes.

I swallowed and pushed the sadness away. "Yeah, I'm fine," I assured him with a smile. "Why?"

"You've been danglin' that ornament in your hand by that branch for awhile now, but haven't actually put it on the tree," he pointed out with a goofy smile.

"Oh," I laughed at myself while I finally hung the blue ornament. "I was just thinkin' 'bout some things."

Rhett got closer, and I could smell the vanilla and nutmeg rolling off of him. Mmmm. "What things?" He asked with his head cocked.

I was focused on his lips for a second before snapping my eyes back to his. It was hard to not think of them when he was this close.

"Just some old memories about Christmas." I grabbed another ornament from the box and hung it on another branch.

"Your dad?" His face softened.

"Yeah," I sighed. "It's been awhile, ya know?"

Rhett glanced towards his dad, who was helping Wesley hang garland at the top of the tree. "I do." His face looked sullen.

How could I forget that Rhett experienced the same pain as me? I wasn't thinking when I said that, and I remember that his dad told me that Rhett changed after his mother died. I shut my eyes and mentally scolded myself.

"Oh my gosh... Rhett, I'm so sorry. I wasn't thinkin'..." I shook my head and apologized.

He faced me again. "Don't be sorry, Rae. You have nothin' to apologize for. It's not your fault, okay?" His eyes bore into mine.

I still couldn't help but feel bad. "Okay," I whispered.

Rhetts expression changed into a happier one as he grabbed another ornament from the box and had us hold it together. He then guided our hands to the tree, where we put the shiny white ball on an empty branch.

He tipped my chin up to look at him and stated, "We can't be sad tonight. It's Christmas. No one will want that, especially our parents." 

I nodded with a small smile, and he tucked some of my hair behind my ear before leading me to the other side of the tree. About a half an hour later, the Christmas tree was done in blue and white decor. The only thing left to do was the topper and turn on the lights.

"Who wants to do the honors?" My dad asked us all.

"I'll do it!" Sawyer volunteered.

Rhett chimed in, "What about Rae?"

My cheeks were turning red, I know it. "Me?"

Rhett nodded. "Yeah, you. You kind of brought us all together didn't ya?"

I didn't think of it like that, but I guess I kind of did it with my curiosity. I wouldn't be here without my persistence to know what happened with my brother.

"Only because she's stubborn," my brother commented, then laughed.

Everyone joined him and started to nod in agreement.

They do have a point.

"Mhmm. Well, you're welcome then." I rolled my eyes while suppressing a grin.

They all laughed again at my comment.

"Rae it is then," Jason announced and handed me a huge, silver star.

Suddenly, a scream escaped my lips as Rhett decided to lift me up on his shoulders.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" I exclaimed. "A ladder would have sufficed."

"But what fun is that, Darlin'?" He teased.

My cheeks felt hot with that nickname.

I shook my head and placed the star on the very top of the tree. Rhett put me back on the floor, and my dad began to count down.

"5! 4!.."

"3! 2! 1!" We all joined in, and my dad flipped the light switch.

The sight was breathtaking. I've never seen such a huge tree in a house like this. It illuminated the dark space. The lights twinkled, making shadows dance across the room.

I stated, "It's perfect."

"It is," Parker agreed.

Sawyer chimed in, "You know what else is? Dinner."

"You're right, son. Let's eat!" My dad clapped his hands together.

All the boys let out a howl before racing to the dining room where a huge feast was waiting. Mashed potatoes, 2 hams, 3 turkeys, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and 5 huge pies. My eyes were going to bulge out of my skull. It was enough food for a football team.

"What..Oh my goodness," I gasped.

"Werewolves," Jason shrugged, which prompted me to laugh.

Dinner was amazing. These werewolves sure know how to cook. By the time I finished my plate, the table was empty. They sure know how to eat too.

Once we were all done, we went back to the living room and grabbed a seat on the couch to open presents—something I didn't realize we would be doing.

"Guys.. but I didn't get you anythin'!" I grumbled. I felt awful. I would've gotten everyone something if I knew. I thought we would just be eating.

"It's okay, Rae," Rhett placed his hand over mine. "We know you would've."

Sawyer chirped, "Yeah. Just accept our love, little sister."

"Fine. But.. next holiday, all ya'll will get somethin'." I leaned back into the couch.

They chuckled.

"Deal," my dad agreed while tossing me a red box. "Open this."

I caught it and shook it a little. After digging into the wrapping paper, I sighed. This is the first gift from my dad in years. Inside is three, little charms—a football, a tree, and a wolf. He used to buy me a charm for my bracelet every birthday since I was 8...until he went missing.

"For every year I missed." My dad's lips tightened to a thin line, and I could see his jaw clench.

I know he felt horrible for staying away. He's missed so much.

"Dad.." I let out the breath I was holding. "Thank you. I love them, and I'm not mad at you for not bein' there. I understand." I got up and embraced him.

"It doesn't make it any better though." I heard him mumble into my hair.

I squeezed him harder. "It's better now though. We aren't goin' to be separated ever again."

I felt the tension leave his body before he stepped back with his hands on my shoulders. "Never again," he promised, and I know he meant it.

I opened a few more gifts before getting ready to leave. It was already 1 in the morning, and I still had to get up early to celebrate Christmas as home.

"Thank you, guys—for the food and gifts. Tonight was great." I shrugged my jacket onto my shoulders while juggling the gifts in my hands.

"You're welcome!" They took turns saying.

"Merry Christmas!" I yelled as I walked out the door into the brisk air. The night was cold and the crescent moon lightly illuminated the trees around the house.

Rhett followed behind me to his truck and opened my door before getting in himself. I rubbed my arms to get warm.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to you not bein' cold." I was freezing. When he didn't answer, I turned to look at him to see him staring at me. "What?"

A strand of hair fell in front of his eye and the moonlight kissed the side of his face as he leaned towards me. His eyes locked with mine all while slightly glowing.

"I know what will warm you up." And then his lips crashed against mine, sending sparks throughout my body.

He was right. I was definitely warm now.

"Merry Christmas, Darlin'," he whispered in my ear when he finally pulled away.

Darlin'

I bit my lip and looked down to see a small box on my lap. "What's this?"

"Open it."

I lifted the top to see an almost translucent stone. It's beautiful and unlike anything I have seen before.

Before I could speak, Rhett explained, "It's a moonstone. It represents strength and new beginnings."

I stared at it for a moment and twirled it between my fingers. "It's perfect. Thank you."

And I gave him one last Christmas kiss before he drove me home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 12.7K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...
170K 8.5K 41
I could feel all this surging pain coursing through my whole body. Bones breaking and reshaping. I wanted to scream but I couldn't. Im in the woods a...
42.5K 1.5K 54
Indigo Murray; the girl everyone thinks is an outcast. The girl who has a penchant for getting in trouble and being punished. The girl who is the sec...
136 9 8
Alice thought it couldn't get any worse. Attacked by a rabid wolf at work, but waking up the next day without even a scratch, is she starting to go c...