All Because of a Snow Storm (...

By miliee

What would you do if you were poor - like, nearly-living-on-the-streets kind of poor,- and you somehow end up... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Chapter 20

59.1K 992 388
By miliee

A crash woke me up from my sleep. I groaned, slamming my face into my pillow as I patted my night stand, looking for my phone. When I found it, I rolled over so that I was sitting on the edge of the bed. The screen momentarily blinded me as I turned it on and I had to blink a few times to get used to the lighting. When my eyes were adjusted, I noticed two things.

One, I had a text. Two, my countdown app reminded me that it had already been three weeks since the boys were gone. Just 9 to go.

"want to hang out today? i miss you xx" I sighed as I read Kevin's text to me. I really didn't feel like going out today, but it seems like all Kevin wants to do is go out. Whenever I propose a relaxed day at home, he'll say that relaxed days are boring. I decided to wait before answering; I don't have to reply straight away.

I stretched my arms over my head before glancing at the time. 9:16 am. I yawned and stood up from the bed, a shiver running up my spine as my feet touched the cold floor. I slowly made my way down the stairs, hearing Jordyn crying as Heather tried comforting her. "Where do you hurt? Let me see your elbow"

"I want you to do the doctor!" Jordyn protested. "The doctor?" Heather asked, confused. I shook my head, smiling. I rounded the corner of the living room and saw Heather and Jordyn sitting on the ground as Jonathan watched them. "Come here Jordyn, let doctor Abbie take care of that boo-boo" I picked her up in my arms and sat down on the sofa, setting her in my lap.

"Now, where does it hurt?" "Here" she sniffled, pointing her elbow. I took her arm gently in my hand and waved my fingers over it. "Abracadabra, halakazam" I said mysteriously, making Jordyn supress a giggle. "I declare your boo-boo gone!" I said, dropping a kiss on her elbow. She cheered and giggled as she slid off my lap. "It doesn't hurt anymore!" she squealed happily. "Good. Now go play outside with Johnny!" I said, shooing them out the back door. They ran off into the yard, and I turned to Heather's shocked expression.

"Did you seriously just say Abracadra halakazam and she stopped crying?! I've been trying to get her to stop for the past ten minutes!" she said, in awe and wonder. I shrugged, cracking a smile. "Where's Rose?"

"Making breakfast, I think she's making waffles"

We both joined Rose in the kitchen, and sat at the counter while Rose prepared breakfast. When it was ready, I went out to the back to fetch the twins. "Jonathan! Jordyn!" I yelled out the door, expecting them to come running like they usually do. No reply. I yelled out their names again, panicking a bit when I still didn't get an answer.

I walked out the door onto the deck, then down the steps and into the yard. I walked a few paces, looking around. No sign of my brother and sister. My breath caught in my throat as I turned and saw the gate of the fence that lead to the front yard opened. How on Earth did they open that?

I ran to it, frantically yelling their names. I got to the front yard and saw Jonathan, standing on the grass, looking out onto the street. Horrified, I turned just in time to see Jordyn run out into the street after a ball, screaming when she turned her head towards the car approaching her. I screamed too, reaching out for her as if my arm could've stretched all the way across the yard, grabbed her, and pulled her in my arms.

Miraculously, the car screeched to a stop just inches from my sister, who had frozen in the middle of the street. My whole expression dropped when I saw who came out of the car. Mrs Delacourt. She stepped around the car and her eyes widened when she recognized Jordyn. Her head snapped up and she acknowledged Jonathan, standing a few feet from her. Then, she locked eyes with me. I knew I was in trouble.

She grabbed Jordyn by the arm and pulled her back on the lawn, letting go when she ran to Jonathan and hugged him. Then the three of them came over to me and Jordyn threw herself in my arms, crying hysterically. I vaguely noticed that my old neighbor was holding a magazine rolled up in her hand.

"Ah, Abigail. I've been meaning to reach you for a while now, but I was having trouble finding out where you and your little famous friends went off. Their house has pretty high security, I can tell you that" she started, looking down a me through her glasses. "But I think I found you" I gulped nervoulsy as I tried comforting Jordyn. By this time, Rose and Heather had come running after hearing the screams and screech of tires.

"I've come across an article in this magazine" she continued, tearing her gaze from me to her hands, which were smoothing out the magazine, holding it out for us to see. "The article mentionned that the twins and you stay alone in this house with five other boys. Am I correct?" My jaw slightly dropped as I realized that my biggest fear was happening right now. She has a perfectly good reason to take the twins away now. I let Jordyn go and she ran into the backyard with Jonathan.

"Yes. Yes you are" I breathed out, shocked. "You're too young to be watching over the twins, and I'm pretty sure those boys you're staying with are as well, am I right?" I couldn't utter a word. This couldn't be happening. Please let this whole thing be a dream, and I'll wake up in a few seconds, with Niall next to me.... Wait did I just say Niall? I meant Kevin... "Louis is 20" Rose spoke up, obviously trying to help me keep the twins.

"But he's not the one in charge of the twins. Abigail is. Plus, he's not here, is he? The twins need a responsible adult to take care of them all the time. You have just proven to me that you cannot watch them properly." She said coldly, and I shook my head frantically. "But Mrs Delacourt, you don't understand-"

"Abigail, there is nothing else you can say that will make me change my mind. The twins need a safe, stable environment to grow and develop into mature human beings. They do not have that with you. Jordyn here was under your supervision, and she nearly got hit by a car. I'm sorry but I will have to call Child Protection Services" she said coldly. My breath caught in my throat.

I vaguely heard Rose and Heather protesting and arguing with Mrs Delacourt, but I couldn't move or make my mind process anything. I was frozen in shock.

All I could think of was her words, echoing in my head. "The twins need a safe, stable environment to grow and develop into mature human beings. They do not have that with you. Jordyn here was under your supervision, and she nearly got hit by a car." Was it true? Was I really such a bad guardian? It felt like my heart was being crushed by those words.

"They do not have that with you"

Without thinking about it twice, I turned quickly around, shoving past Rose and Heather. I ran out into the backyard again, where Jordyn and Jonathan were playing. I ran to them as tears started prickling behind my eyes. I stumbed next to them and desperately pulled them into my arms, hugging them tight. They hugged back, like they always do, but I could tell that they knew something was wrong.

"What's wrong Abbie?" Jonathan finally asked after a few seconds. "Nothing. I love you" I said, not wanting them to panick. "I love you too" they both said cheerfully, wrapping their little arms around me again. I heard someone approach, and I turned around to see Rose and Heather. Heather's face made it obvious that she was crying, and Rose looked like she was damn real close to crying as well.

"She left. She said she'll be back tonight with a Social Worker and that if you or the twins aren't here, the police are getting involved" A strangled sob tore out of my throat as a few tears ran down my cheeks. I squeezed the twins once more before letting go. This is bad. I'm really losing them.

Rose and Heather immediately came up to me and hugged me tight, trying to comfort me but with no success. I broke down in their arms, and started crying hysterically. I've worked so hard to keep us together, but this stupid article just ruined everything. Why can't the paps realize that they're ruining so many lives?

I let go of my friends , still crying, and sat in a corner, wrapping my arms around my knees. It felt like my whole world was crumbling around me. The two most important people in my life were being taken away from me for my mistakes.

Rose and Heather were still standing there, whispering to each other while the twins asked over and over what was wrong with me. Eventually, the girls brought the twins out to leave me alone, which I appreciated a little. I didn't want the twins to see me like this.

While they were out, I called Kevin and told him the news. "I'm sorry Abbie, you must be really upset, sweetie" he said caringly. "Yeah, I am-" "Why didn't you answer my text this morning?" he cut in. Is he being serious right now? "Kevin... I woke up to being told that I'm losing my brother and sister... Texting you back was the last thing on my priority list" I said, a bit harshly.

"But I'm your boyfriend-" he started. "And they're my brother and sister!" I shot back. "I'm sorry. You're right. I was just worried about you. Anyways I got to go, I have a football game with friends so I'll call you when I'm done okay?" he said gently, as if to not hurt me more.

"Oh. Okay. Bye Kevin" He hung up and I just stayed there, staring at my phone in shock. Can't he see that I'm heartbroken and I need someone to help me? But instead he chose to play football with his friends?

At that moment, Heather, Rose, Jordyn and Jonathan came back. The twins immediately came to me and I hugged them again. I love how we're so close. I squeezed my eyes shut and held them tighter against me.

"I love you" I whispered, my voice cracking on the last word. I feel so helpless right now.

-Niall-

"I want to Skype the girls" Harry whined, sticking his tongue out before taking a bite out of his cheeseburger. "What time is it?" Liam asked. "It's 1:15 pm" Louis replied, looking at his phone. "So it would be around 7:15 pm in England."

"If we want to Skype them it's now the time. The twins must still be up so we can tell them hi!" Zayn smiled. He really missed Jordyn and Jonathan. "Miranda wanted to go downtown to shop a little" I cut in, finishing my second burger. "No, you're staying with us." Harry said with a tone of finality. I frowned. "Why? I already made plans-"

"Niall they're still your friends! Stop pushing Abbie away like that!" Louis nearly shouted, standing up. I just looked up at him, shocked. "Fine" I adverted my gaze down to plate. "I'll go get the laptop" I stood up from the table in the tour bus and walked over to my bunk bed, grabbing my laptop that was resting over the sheets. I brought it back to the table, which the boys had cleared. They all sat down at the table and I sat down a bit further back, not really wanting to be here. I knew that if I saw Abbie again, it would hurt.

I already ache enough, seeing her again would just make it worse. I'm trying to force myself to fall for Miranda. She told me she's falling for me, so I might as well fall for her, since Abbie's moving on with Kevin already. She doesn't care for me anymore.

It hurts to see how quickly she moved on, and knowing it's partially my fault. It hurt. I thought she felt for me as much as I did for her, but seeing how quickly she got back with him... I was doubting it. But she thinks you moved on with Miranda just as quickly. Yes, but this is different. It's a set up relationship. No, it's not. Stop blaming it on her. Shut up conscience.

Zayn took over, turning on the laptop and logging on Skype. Rose was online. He pressed her call button and we all waited a few moments. Suddenly, it stopped ringing.

"Did she hang up?" Louis asked, trying to get a better view of the laptop from behind Zayn and Harry's heads. "Yeah, let me try again" Zayn said, a frown on his face. He tried again, and this time it rung five times before Rose's face appeared on the screen.

"Rosie! What's wrong?" Louis exclaimed, pushing Zayn's head out of the way. "Have you been crying, love?" Rose sniffled a bit before nodding her head. "I wish you guys were all here. We really need you right now. Especially Abbie" she answered. That last part was obviously directed towards me. "What happened? Is everyone alright?" Harry asked.

She shook her head, the tears streaming down her face as she sobbed uncontrollably. "N-no." A scary thought crossed my mind. Was Abbie hurt? Is she sick? Cancer? Car crash? Whoa- why am I panicking so much? Because I care about her- as a friend. Right. Just friends. "Is it Heather? Is she okay?" Harry asked.

"She's doing the same as me. She's just at the bathroom" Rose whispered, hooking her thumb over her shoulder. "Abbie's doing way worse. I think she's in shock, she hasn't talked to us, or anyone. She locked herself in her bedroom and hasn't even come out."  

"What happened?!" Liam asked firmly, wanting her to get to the point. "Are the twins okay?" Zayn asked. Silence. "Oh no..." Liam whispered. Rosie broke out in sobs again, her whole body shaking. I whipped my head towards the boys, who were all looking at me. They seemed afraid, shocked, sad, and angry all at once. "No" I whispered, shaking my head frantically.

I stood up from the back to get into the webcam. "Rose what happened to the twins?" I shouted into the camera. She took a deep breath and turned her head towards the door just as Heather came in the room. She saw us all in the screen and managed a small smile as Rose continued.

"Mrs Delacourt saw the article in the magazine about Abbie staying with you guys. She was driving around the neighborhood, trying to find the house this morning and she almost hit Jordyn with her car. She said that Abbie was supposed to have a good home for them, with a responsible guardian. She said the twins didn't have that here, with her and all you guys in the house. The Social Worker came just about two hours ago and took the twins" she finished, and she was teary-eyed again. I stood there, behind Liam, my jaw slightly opened and my head spinning madly. The twins were gone? After all Abbie had done for them... Was Mrs Delacourt really that heartless?

"I can't believe it" Zayn whispered, running a hand through his hair. "Abbie's really taking this hard. She thinks it's her fault" Heather said. "Does she have an idea to get the twins back? Where did the social worker take them?" I asked. "I think they're going to be with a family that volunteered to take them in for a while. That's what the social worker told us. She said that if Abbie wanted to visit them, she was able to, if it was okay with the family." Rose explained. "Does she know who the family is?" Louis asked. "No, not yet" Heather answered. "The social worker will let Abbie know when the family confirms"

"This is horrible" Zayn whispered. "I know. If you guys come up with any ideas, let us know. Anything will help at this point." Heather said, smiling a little. "We just wish you could all be here with us"

"Yeah, Abbie could really use some comfort right now" Rose said, and I knew it was aimed at me. The lads all turned to me, giving me a look. I closed my eyes. I can't take this anymore. I should be there for her, comforting her, making her feel better. Helping her get the twins back. Instead I'm sitting halfway across the world, trying to forget about her.

I roughly pushed my chair, standing up from the table, and walked into the bunk bed section of the tour bus. I pulled myself up into my bunk - the top one - and pulled the curtain, hiding myself. I just want to shut everyone out right now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 395 25
I didn't expect my little 'adventure' to go like this. Just a normal camping trip with well... Myself. But little did i know this camping trip would...
132K 1.2K 38
Girls like me don't get boys like him. Especially when that boy's name is Niall Horan. I'm just a girl from an average town in Wisconsin who came to...
44.8K 435 47
Aisley has to live with her brother . Her brother is in the biggest boy band , One Direction . But , can you guess who ? Louis Tomlinson . She has to...
43.6K 995 65
The famous boyband One Direction is in for quite a shock when they find out they were meant for something more than just singing, can they sustain th...