The Millionaire's Teacher

By FluteQueen03

Riley Jones has left her past behind her. Until it finally catches up, determined to ruin everything and drag... More

Chapter 1 - Vision
Chapter 2 - Served
Chapter 4 - Dinner
Chapter 5 - Followed
Chapter 6 - Popsicles
Chapter 7 - Hobbies
Chapter 8 - More
Chapter 9 - Lunch Surprise
Chapter 10 - Words of Pain
Chapter 11 - Electricity
Chapter 12 - Candlelight Chase
Chapter 13 - Fazendo Amor
Chapter 14 - Paixão da manha
Chapter 15 - Breakfast
Chapter 16 - Burdens
Chapter 17 - Tour
Chapter 18 - It's Just Business
Chapter 19 - Blindness
Chapter 20 - Manipulation
Chapter 21 - Secret Doctor
Chapter 22 - Hallucinations
Chapter 23 - Apologies
Chapter 24 - Patterns
Chapter 25 - Mile High
Chapter 26 - Arriving
Chapter 27 - Meeting the Family
Chapter 28 - Cold Hard Truth
Chapter 29 - On The Beach
Chapter 30 - Loss
Chapter 31 - Secrets
Chapter 32 - Funeral
Chapter 33 - Eviction
Chapter 34 - Coerced
Chapter 35 - Moving
Chapter 36 - Alone In the New House
Chapter 37 - Settling In
Chapter 38 - Suspicions
Chapter 39 - Unravel
Chapter 40 - Day In Court
Chapter 41 - Invasion of Privacy
Chapter 42 - Decisions
Chapter 43 - Moving On
Chapter 44 - Interruptions
Epilogue

Chapter 3 - Drinks

4.3K 156 7
By FluteQueen03

Tapping his fingers in a random rhythm, Connor leaned against the floor to ceiling glass window of the conference room brows tilted in a scowl. It was nearly 2:30 and their "new client" had not shown. Across the room, Gabriel tapped his pen in a steady cadence unintentionally matching Connor's on the tablet of paper in front of him. Finally, the door opened and both men turned.

"Um...Connor...Gabriel..." It was Brenda, their office assistant and secretary. "The client called and said they had a family emergency and can't make it but they want to reschedule for next week."

Raking his hands through his hair in frustration, Connor let out a heavy sigh. "That's fine Brenda. Give them the next opening."

Brenda nodded. "I already did and it's in the books."

Gabriel smiled at her and winked. "Thanks, Brenda." She blushed deeply as she turned to leave the conference room.

"Haven't you already done her, Gabe?" Connor smirked.

"Yeah," Gabriel grinned, wiggling his eyebrows. "It was pretty fun. Maybe she'll want a repeat." Wiggling his eyebrows, he stood neatly straightening his blazer and buttoning the center button. "I think I'll go find out. See you tomorrow!"

Connor shook his head and grinned. "See ya." Sighing again, he gathered their presentation papers and returned them to his corner office down the hall.

The afternoon sun shining over downtown Chicago was perfect through his floor to ceiling windows that took up a whole wall of his office. The bright natural light was a nice contrast to the dark black oak desk and steel gray walls. Connor's office screamed power, money and masculine which was how he liked it.

After he put away the presentation into his files for next week's appointments, Connor thought he might as well call it a day and go home early. He made his way to the elevator and pushed the call button.

****

The elevator suddenly jerking to life broke Riley out of her misery. She closed her eyes, groaning in frustration at herself. She had been standing there so long without hitting the button for the lobby, that now someone else had called the elevator. Now they would see her crying like a baby.

If only they knew...

Only traveling up one floor, the doors opened and Connor walked in, eyes glued to his phone. Riley recognized him right away as the man from her elevator ride before. She turned toward the corner of the elevator, trying to hide her tear streaked cheeks by facing to the corner. Riley stealthily ran her fingers through the ringlets so some fell to the side of her face creating a chocolate veil to hide behind.

Riley was sure she looked terrible. Her mascara had been running, face blotchy from crying, hair askew from her constant raking while taking the news from Dan. Not the most attractive sight for a handsome man to observe on the same elevator.

Connor glanced up from his phone long enough to hit the "L" for lobby and register the same perfume from earlier hitting his nostrils. He peered over to see none other than the woman he first rode with in the elevator. When she moved her hair, the scent of lavender and peppermint waved over toward him. Wow, she smells amazing.

He turned slightly to ask how her meeting went, but his lips bent into a frown seeing her changed demeanor. This woman wasn't standing tall and confident anymore, radiating temptation. Something was wrong. Something tugged at him to comfort her but he had to proceed cautiously.

"Excuse me, Miss..." he started softly, reaching out to touch her elbow lightly. "Are you alright?"

Smooth. Annoyingly cliche, too. Great job.

Riley looked up him with sad, shimmering tear-filled eyes and gave a half smile that didn't reach her eyes. "I'm as well as can be expected."

Too soon, the elevator stopped and the doors opened. Riley pulled her arm away and exited. Connor felt the coldness of her absence. Quickly, he followed after her. She was walking fast, head down, embarrassed at how she must appear but no one knew how broken she was at this moment.

Quickly exiting the building, Riley nearly disappeared into the crowd of people as she descended the many steps that led to the street. Once at the sidewalk, she glanced both ways and ran across even in tall heels. Connor hastened down the steps, breaking into a jog to catch up with her. She continued strolling along the Riverwalk until she stopped at a bridge that crossed the river. Connor was relieved that she stopped in the center and leaned on the railing. The breeze made her hair billow freely behind her, the curls whipping wildly. Softly he came up to lean next to her.

"I know it's really none of my business..." He started, but Riley lifted her hand to silence him.

"You're right," she replied. Her voice sounded colder than intended but right now, she wanted solitude. "It's not your business. I need to be alone."

"Come be alone with me and get a drink. I know a great pub around the corner. It will at least help you relax and if you want to talk about what happened, I'll listen." He pressed gently, trying to stay casual.

"I'm not in the habit of going to get drinks with a stranger," she replied eyeing him warily.

"Well, let's fix that." He smiled warmly, taking a step forward to boldly offer his hand. "I'm Connor, Connor Westwood. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Riley Jones," she smirked briefly, hoping he didn't see it but he did. She placed her hand shyly in his, but shook it with confidence.

She let her eyes trail over his face and glance down at his form. He was quite handsome. Hot, actually and oozed sex appeal. His navy blue suit was perfectly tailored, white dress shirt taut against his chest probably hiding some intense muscles. Connor tried to hide his smirk as she checked him out. It was only fair. He did the same thing to her unknowingly in the elevator. Plus, he didn't mind her looking one bit.

Though hesitant at first, she did give in. He smiled broadly when she nodded. They walked in silence over the rest of the bridge and down a block. Riley could feel his aura of confidence as they strolled and noticed he matched her slower walking pace. He even walked on her right, in between her and the cars driving past. Very gentlemanlike.

Connor opened a door Riley almost didn't see and she walked in, Connor following close behind her. She fought shivers down her back at the sensation of his hand on the small of her back guiding her through the door. They took seats at a booth in the back separate and isolated from the few other patrons. Connor guessed Riley would want some privacy. Riley scooted in and Connor sat across from her. Soon after they sat down, their waitress came over.

"What'll it be, lovelies?" The waitress winked shamelessly at Connor.

"I'll have a beer," he stated then smiled at Riley.

"I'll have a Long Island," Riley said.

"Ok, I'll be right back with those drinks."

"Long Island, huh?" Connor smirked and leaned forward. Riley shrugged a shoulder.

"Go big or go home, right? It'll loosen me up but I'll still be coherent." Riley shifted in her seat, leaning toward Connor. "So, Connor. What do you do for a living? Do you work in that building?"

Small talk. This is good.

"I do. I'm an architect. My firm is on the 11th floor. What do you do? Do you work in that building as well?"

Riley rubbed the back of her neck nervously and leaned forward but Connor didn't mind. It made those gorgeous, unruly curls fall in front of her. His eyes wandered lazily down to the front of her blouse. Leaning forward also made the V-neck blouse gap slightly giving Connor a sneaky glimpse of her cleavage. She had a great rack.

"No, I don't work in the building. I uhh...had a meeting with my attorney." Connor's eyes were fixed on her blouse while imagining the globes hiding beneath and how they'd feel like in his hands, until the waitress came. Riley sat back in the booth and stole his view.

"Thank you," Riley smiled to the waitress.

"Let me know if you need anything, guys. Enjoy."

"Is your meeting why you were so upset?" Connor asked, taking a sip of his beer.

"You could say that," Riley gave a sad smile as she stirred her drink then took a long sip.

"So why were you upset, Riley?" It was a bold move to ask so bluntly but he wanted to know what had rattled her.

"I thought you were going to wait until I was ready to tell you?" She smirked and for the first time, Connor had a glimpse of Happy Riley.

He raised both hands up in mock defeat and leaned back, fingers gliding up and down the beer bottle. "You're right, I'm sorry." He smiled wider when she smile at him, twirling his beer in one hand. "So what do you do?"

"I'm a teacher," she replied, taking another sip.

"Oh my, that's hot," he growled playfully before bringing the dark bottle to his lips and taking a long sip. That earned his first genuine laugh from Riley.

"Oh yeah, so glamorous. Early mornings, long days, nights full of grading, getting hugged after the kid has been digging for gold up their nose. Getting sneezed and coughed on all day is the cherry on top."

Scoffing, she took another sip. Riley did love being a teacher but her mood was too foul currently to dwell on the positives right now.

"I think the pencil skirts, button down blouses and detention would be the cherries on top." Connor smirked, winking naughtily at Riley who just smiled and shook her head.

"I teach 3rd grade so no detention, sorry," she quipped. "And I don't wear pencil skirts or short dresses to teach. I'm a long skirts, maxi dress or pants kind of woman."

"I can work with that," Connor whispered heatedly then chuckled at Riley's wide eyed expression. No one had flirted so blatantly with her like this in a very long time. It was so open and hot. She shifted in her seat again, an ache between her legs forming. That accent of his added to Connor's already emanating sexiness.

"You uh...have an accent," Riley observed as she took a long sip of her drink.

Smooth one, Captain Riley Obvious.

Connor chuckled as he took a sip of his beer as well. "Yes, I do."

Riley rolled her eyes then asked, "Where are you from?"

"Portugal," He answered casually. "Well, I was born here in Chicago but my parents immigrated to the states when they were younger."

Riley jumped as her phone began ringing. She fidgeted in her purse until she found it and answered, mouthing "Sorry."

It was Riley's mom. She had offered to pick up Kaylee from school and start dinner so Riley could meet with the attorney and collect herself after. Any "Asher Drama" always threw Riley for an emotional loop.

"Hello...yeah, I'm done...I'll explain the plan later...No, it's not good news...I know, Mom, but I've always been in good hands with Dan. He will get us through this like all the other times...Yeah, I'll be home soon...OK, yeah that's fine...OK, bye."

After she put her phone away, Riley turned to Connor and sighed. "I'm sorry about that. I have to get going. My mom is at my apartment...I just...I have to go. She gets weird about being their long without me." She sighed, slipping the purse onto her shoulder. "Thank you for this. It did help. It was nice meeting you, Connor."

There was no way he was letting her get away that easily. He reached out, gently taking hold of her wrist, pulling Riley back toward him.

"Have dinner with me?" He asked, rubbing small circles on the back of her hand with his thumb. The contact sent tingles up her arm.

"I...I can't tonight..." she started.

"Then tomorrow, Riley. I would love to see you again and hear more about you." Connor took out his phone and unlocked it. "Can I have your number please?"

"Tomorrow..." She'd have to ask her mom to babysit. Tomorrow was too soon. "I can't tomorrow...Thursday?"

"You're going to make me wait that long?" Connor teased, hoping she'd agree to a date sooner.

"Look," Riley frowned, making a fist and planting it on her hip. "I already have plans for tomorrow, OK? I have a busy week so Thursday is the first night I'm available."

"Alright, alright," Connor put his hands up in surrender. She was a fiesty one. "Thursday is fine. You're worth the wait."

Riley thought for a moment. What will he do when he finds out I have a daughter? Probably turn and run...One dinner date wouldn't hurt. She'd tell him then and see if he'd turn tail like others.

"OK," she whispered and took his phone to type her number in then called herself so she'd have his. "See you Thursday."

She then slowly eased her hand out of his and turned to walk away, leaving him alone in the booth.

Connor watched Riley saunter away, her hips swaying and hypnotizing him the whole time. Thursday wouldn't come soon enough.

****

We have a date!

Enjoy, vote and comment!

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 7.3K 47
Rose Marie Jones was born an orphan, and spent her most of her life raised in a group home. She's eighteen, soon to graduate and will have no place t...
11.3K 320 45
Dealing with one man was bad enough, and now Riley was in a house with six. Who knows who are arrogant and who are kind. And she has learnt that best...
20.3K 866 96
Kallie is a young girl who has experienced some heart wrenching things. From her abusive boyfriend Liam to her emotionally unavailable mother. How wi...
4.3M 114K 56
| Complete | REWRITING + ROUGH DRAFT | Riley Greene was all set for her summer vacation with her college boyfriend, Kevin. With her bags packed and p...