For His Protection

By thegirlwhowrites11

Serena Dane has had her heart broken more times than she can count. She lost her parents, her best friend... More

1. An Old Friend
2. Fallen Heroes
3. Friend or Foe?
4. Green Eyes
5. Betrayal?
7. Payback
8. The Past is the Past
9. Unexpected
10. From Heart to Heart
11. No More
12. Happy Birthday, Harry!
13. Missing
14. Where in the World is Severus Snape?
15. Answers
16. Term Begins
17. Harry's Plan
18. Moonlight Walk
19. Missing In Action
20. The Woman of Many Faces

6. Arrangements

2.9K 113 20
By thegirlwhowrites11

He wasn't great at waiting.  As a matter of fact, it was his least favorite thing to do.  It made him anxious, which is why he now found himself pacing back and forth across the floor.  He only paused when he heard a noise, thinking that maybe Sirius and Lupin had made it back, then started again when he realized it was nothing but the old castle settling.  It seemed like hours had gone by before he finally heard the faint creaking of his office door opening.  Dumbledore whirled around just as Sirius, Remus, a young woman he slightly recognized, who was carrying Harry Potter in her arms, and Minerva McGonagall walked inside.

"Albus," Minerva said breathlessly, hurrying toward him, "I tried to inquire about them bringing a stranger into the castle, but they wouldn't listen."  She frowned deeply.  "After all that's happened, I don't think we should be letting just anyone come in here!"

Dumbledore smiled.  "It's alright.  I asked them to come back and they informed me that they were bringing a friend that I assume is this young lady.  Perhaps you noticed who she brought with her?"

Minerva had been so busy trying to place the young woman's face (her memory being as dreadful as it was these days) that she hadn't even noticed that she was carrying a child in her arms.  Her mouth dropped open.  It was Harry Potter.

"Goodness me," she said placing her hand over her heart.  "The rumors must be true then.  Lily and James-"  She paused.  Her eyes were filling up with tears.  

Albus nodded.  "I'm afraid so.  I hadn't had the chance to inform you."

For a moment, McGonagall looked like she might swoon.  Remus noticed how pale she had suddenly gotten and flicked his wand.  A chair flew near the back of her legs.  She glanced back, feeling the wind from the moving chair, and plopped down.  Sirius and Remus stared at her intently, half expecting her to pass out.

"Are you alright?" Serena asked.  Her voice was dripping with concern, but when Minerva glared up at her, she silenced herself immediately.  It was as if she were accusing her of something.

"Who are you?"

Albus pressed his lips together.  He was wondering that himself.  He had seen her somewhere before.  He was sure of it.  But where?

Serena looked down at Harry, who was calmly playing with a strand of her dark hair.  She wasn't surprised that Minerva didn't remember her.  She had never had her for a professor.  Transfiguration wasn't a class that she took in her first and final year of Hogwarts.  She had a N.E.W.T in both that subject and Charms before she ever started going there.  The only other time she had ever seen McGonagall was in the Great Hall during feasts and, of course, at the sorting.  She gazed into Minerva's calculating eyes.

"A friend, if you'll let me be one.  I attended Hogwarts, but for only one year.  My last year.  I was homeschooled before that by my parents."

"Ah," Dumbledore said.  "I remember you now."

Minerva remembered too.  She and Dumbledore had decided to let her come to Hogwarts huddled together in this very room.  She had known of both of her parents who were great Aurors.  "You're Jennifer and Patrick's daughter."

"Yes."

"Serena.  Is that right?"  Dumbledore asked.

She smiled.  "Yes."

"You have changed so much," Minerva stated.  "I only saw you once before.  You were such a little thing then, but you were wearing a big smile."

Serena's cheeks reddened.  She got so embarrassed whenever someone spoke of her younger self...or at all.  She hated compliments for that reason.  Her smile broadened.

"And while you were here at Hogwarts, if I recall correctly, you used to be good friends with Severus Snape," Dumbledore declared.

She gulped.  The mention of his name still sent involuntary shivers through her.  "Yes, I was."

He smiled.  "I'm sorry I didn't recognize you, Serena.  I try to remember all of my students.  Alas, there are so many and some tend to slip through the cracks."

"It's okay.  I'm not that memorable.  I was a good girl."

Sirius huffed.  "Like hell you were."

"I was," she insisted.  His grin was playful.  She rolled her eyes.  He was such a child sometimes.  She glanced at Dumbledore.  "Anyway, may I call you Albus?"

"Of course," he said.

"Albus, it's hard to remember someone you hardly see," Serena told him.  "I was never one for getting in trouble."

"A good girl," Minerva said.  "Well done."

"Only because I kept my mouth shut," Sirius revealed.

Serena turned on him, a smirk on her face.  "You deserved everything you got."

Remus grinned.  "I couldn't agree more."

Sirius rounded on him.  "Whose side are you on anyway?"

He grinned even wider.  "Yours, but I will never protect you from the truth."  He glanced at Serena as if seeing her for the first time.  It hadn't registered until now.  His brain was a little slow, presumably because he was so tired, but she was the one.  She was the one who had hexed James and Sirius repeatedly for picking on Severus.  She was the one Lily had hoped would bring Severus back from the dark path he was headed toward (she had confided in him multiple times about the subject), but it seemed she had failed.  Probably not at any fault of her own though.  He had always believed Severus to be a very stubborn man.

"Besides," Serena continued, "you deserved to be hexed."

Sirius laughed at her.  "I agree.  I was a completely different person then.  It seems like so long ago."

Dumbledore was amused by this conversation, but it was time to get down to business.  He cleared his throat loudly, grabbing their attention.  "As much as I enjoy a trip down memory lane, I think it's time for the conversation to take a more serious turn.  It's getting late and I'm sure young Harry, as well as the rest of you, are very tired.  There has been a lot of excitement tonight."

Minerva raised an eyebrow.  "And what exactly are we discussing?" 

He smiled.  She had been silent so long he had almost forgotten she was in the room.  "Why, where to place Harry, of course.  He'll need protection."

She nodded, understanding.  They had spoken previously about Voldemort and the Prophecy he believed was refering to the Potters.  It was the reason they were dead and that the attempt was made on Harry's life as well.

Remus frowned.  "But why will he need protection?  Voldemort is dead."

"Because," Serena spoke up, "Voldemort wants to kill him."

"He's dead."

"Yes," Dumbledore agreed, "but I'm afraid his followers are not."

"And you heard her when we got to her," Sirius reminded him.  "She said that they had already tried."

Dumbledore and McGonagall's eyes widened in alarm.  "What?" they said in unison.  No one had informed them of this latest development.

Serena squeezed Harry tightly and began to lightly bounce him up and down.  He had gotten bored playing with her hair.  Now he was starting to move around a bit.  He was getting restless.  She glanced around at all of them.  "The Death Eaters already tried to take him."

"Thank goodness you stopped them."

She took a deep breath.  "I didn't."

Sirius laid his hand on her shoulder.  "What do you mean?"

"Narcissa had him in her arms.  I had laid him on the couch to let him rest and I was watching out the window for signs of anyone.  Sirius told me that he might be in danger.  It never occurred to me that they would walk through the front door.  I didn't even hear her come in."  She calmly walked over to the nearest chair, which was by Dumbledore's desk and sat down.  Harry was beginning to get heavy.  Then she continued her story.  "I had laid my wand beside of him, which was another mistake, because it was right by her."

Remus shook his head in disbelief.  "What happened?  What did you do?" He didn't know much about Narcissa, only what he had seen during his time in the Order of the Phoenix.  She was formiddable though.  Not easily beaten.

Serena swallowed nervously.  "I didn't do anything.  Narcissa handed Harry over to someone she trusted.  He took Harry and I thought he was gone forever.  I was so afraid that I'd lost him.  The man took my wand with him.  Narcissa and I fought and I managed to knock her unconscious.  Then I ran downstairs and he was there waiting for me.  With Harry.  He handed him over immediately.  He was even trying to console him.  I'm sure Harry must have been scared."

"Who, Serena?" Sirius demanded.

"I was talking to him before she came in.  I didn't tell you before because I knew you wouldn't like it."

Fear crept inside of his heart.  "Who?"

"Severus."

"What?"  Sirius clenched his fists.  "Why the hell were you talking to him?"

"Sirius-" Remus said in a warning tone.

"He was my friend once.  And you know the other reason without me saying."

"He could have hurt you.  He could have killed you!" Sirius shouted.  She thought he was going to explode.

Serena covered Harry's ears.  Her voice was going to be loud and she didn't want to upset him.  "But he didn't.  Instead, he saved Harry's life.  You should thank him."

His eyes went wild.  "Thank him?  I'm surprised you would even look at him after what he did to you!  I'm surprised you didn't hex him on sight!"

She bit her bottom lip.  "That was a long time ago."  Her voice was so small, she knew he barely heard her.

Sirius ran his fingers through his hair, frustration written on his face.  His heart was beating wildly.  How could she have been so stupid?

Remus frowned.  He was completely lost.  "I thought he was a Death Eater."

"He is," Sirius stated angrily.

"He was," Serena corrected.  "Apparently he has reformed."

"And you believe that?  Voldemort probably knew of his connection to you.  He probably asked him to use you."

She bit her lower lip.  She knew he would react this way.  She knew he wouldn't like it.  That was the reason she would never tell him that at her flat wasn't where she had saw him first.  She would keep that secret until the day she died.  All it would do was make him furious.  More furious than he already was if that was possible.

"It's possible," she said.  She removed her hands from Harry's ears.  "You should be more forgiving, Sirius."

"And you shouldn't be so naive."  He shook his head and crossed his arms angrily on top of his chest.  How could she do this?  How could she let him even look at her after the reason the git had left her that night?  It didn't make sense.  She loved him, he knew that, and sometimes love blinded you, but that was no excuse.

Serena glared at him.  Her bottom lip quivered and she could feel herself start to tear up.  How dare him!  She quickly closed her eyes and pressed her lips together firmly.  His words had hurt her.  Naive?  She wasn't naive.  Then a sliver of fear crept inside of her.  Was she?  Severus had broken her heart into pieces and left her to learn the Dark Arts, from a man who had killed a countless number of innocent people because they were different.  Was it a mistake to trust him?  She was starting to think that maybe it was...and the tears she had been trying so hard to fight back fell silently down her cheeks.

Minerva shifted uncomfortably in her chair.  She started to rise and excuse herself, but Dumbledore caught her eye and silently asked her to stay.  She resettled into her chair and studied the pattern on the floor.  This should be a private conversation between friends.  Not a public display.  Perhaps she was old-fashioned but...

"People can change, Sirius," Dumbledore told him.  "Ms. Dane is not naive.  She has good instincts."

Sirius rounded on the old man.  "You have no idea-"

"I have more of an idea that you might suspect," he said holding his hand up.  "Severus is not your enemy."

"He's a Death Eater!"

Despite the tone of Sirius's voice, he remained calm and his voice soothing.  "Not anymore."

Silence fell over the room.  They were all staring at him, expecting him to elaborate.

"How do you know?" Minerva asked after a few seconds.  It was the question everyone else was asking in their minds.

"Because he's working for him now," Serena revealed.  There was a crack in her smooth voice that made Sirius turn toward her.  Instantly, he felt guilty.  He could tell she had been crying.  "Severus told me."  She looked at Dumbledore.  "Please tell me he was telling the truth.  Please tell me that's what you were going to say."

Dumbledore smiled and nodded.  "He was telling you the truth."

"Since when?" Remus inquired.  "Why didn't we know?"

When he answered, his eyes were on Sirius.  "I thought that some might judge him for his past and not see that he has changed."

More tears fell down Serena's cheeks.  Severus had been telling her the truth.  A huge wave of relief swept over her.  She had been right to trust him after all.  She felt like a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders and her heart.

Sirius didn't say anything more.  He just stood, with his arms crossed, studying the floor beneath his feet.  Remus and Minerva both wondered how Dumbledore knew he had changed and exactly how much he trusted him, but neither of them said anything.

"Now on to Harry," Dumbledore said with a clap of his hands.  "I know you want to help raise him, Sirius, but Harry will need a mother figure too.  Are you willing to let Serena help you?"

Sirius glanced up at him, then at Serena.  He started to say "no", then his eyes fell on Harry.  He had finally fallen asleep right there in her arms.  He seemed to like her.  He hadn't even made a fuss when he had handed him over to her at James and Lily's.  He had never liked strangers, but he had taken to her right away.  Maybe he even felt safe with her.  No matter how he felt about her right now, he had to do what was best for that baby boy, his godson.  "Yes.  And Remus too when he can.  I want to make sure he's well protected."

"Good."

"I don't know that it's such a good idea," Serena said suddenly.  They all looked at her in dismay.  "I'm not sure I'd be a good mother.  I don't know if I'm ready for that yet."

"You don't have to be his mother," Dumbledore stated.  "You just have to protect him.  Be his role model."

"I'm not even sure I can protect him."

"I am."  He took a deep breath.  "You mustn't doubt yourself, my dear.  I know you can protect him well."

She shook her head.  "I don't think so.  Maybe someone else would be better suited for the task."

Dumbledore sighed.  The spat with Sirius had obviously shaken her.  "Sirius, Remus, could you excuse us for a moment, please.  I have a private matter to discuss with Serena for a moment."

Sirius and Remus both looked at each other curiously, then nodded and exited the office, closing the door behind them.  Minerva stood and moved her chair over next to Serena's.  She asked her to hand Harry to her.  She hesitated at first.  She didn't know Professor McGonagall as well as everyone else.  Then she decided that it would be okay.  She carefully handed him over to her and stood.  Suddenly, Serena felt very apprehensive.

"Serena, I want you to know that it is very unconventional for a student to come into Hogwarts for less than seven years.  There is a reason that Minerva and myself let you come in," Dumbledore revealed.  "We read your file, the one that your parents kept on you about your studies...and other things."  He turned to face her.  "Your parents wrote about your abilities as well."

Serena's eyes widened.  No one knew about her powers.  No one but Severus.  At least, that was what she had thought.

"We wanted to help keep an eye on you.  We were afraid that if Voldemort got wind of your power, that he would coerse you into using them for him.  At Hogwarts, you were safe."  He paused.  "I believe your parents called your ability Energy Manipulation.  You can shoot blasts of energy from your hands that allows you to knock your adversaries down and it has various other uses I'm sure."

"That's right," she said quietly.

"I assume that's how you defeated Narcissa without your wand?"

She nodded and he smiled.

"You're more capable than any of us to protect Harry, Ms. Dane," he stated.  "He would be very fortunate to have you.  Please say you will do it.  If not for any other reason, for Harry."

Serena swallowed hard.  It was a big decision that was going to require a lot of responsibility.  It wouldn't be easy, but she knew she could do it.  How could she not?  "Okay then.  I guess I'll do it."

"Great.  And Serena?"

"Yes?"

"Pay no attention to Sirius.  He's just lost two of his best friends.  He has no family that will have anything to do with him, and you know he and Severus have never seen eye to eye.  His godson, Remus, and you are all he has left.  Not to mention that one of his other friends just betrayed him.  It's going to take some time for him not to get angry, at the drop of a hat, as the Muggles say."

Serena smiled sadly.  "I know.  Thank you."

"Thank you." He turned to Minerva.  "Time to let him go, Professor."

Minerva smiled warmly.  It was the first time since Serena had met her that she'd ever seen her smile.  She handed Harry over to Serena.  "Protect him."

She nodded.  "With my life."  She told them both that it was nice to see them again and then she headed out the office door.

~ * ~

They had no more than stepped outside the office when Remus spoke.  His voice was calm and steady, but anger could be heard too.  "You were out of line in there."

Sirius rounded on him.  "What?"  

"You heard me.  Serena made a mistake, Sirius.  We all do.  You shouldn't have called her out on it in front of Dumbledore and McGonagall."

He set his jaw.  "I know, okay?  I'm just-  I can't believe that she would trust him so easily.  Especially after he went to learn the Dark Arts from Voldemort."

"People can change," Remus reminded him.  "You have."

Sirius glared at him.  "I'm different."

"How?  If you can change your ways, so can Severus.  Although, I'm not sure that you've changed all that much."

Sirius placed his hands on his hips.  "What is that supposed to mean?"

He sighed heavily.  "You've always had it out for Severus.  A part of you still seems to."

"I'm angry at him."

"Why?  What did he ever do to you?"

"He never did anything to me."

Suddenly, Remus understood.  Sirius was mad about what Severus had done to Serena.  It had nothing to do with what he was like at school.  "I'm sure she's past it."

"I don't think so," Sirius argued.  "If she was, she wouldn't have talked to him.  She wouldn't have let him take Harry."

"You're wrong.  Maybe she talked to him because she is past it.  And if you had been listening to her story like I was, you would have heard that she didn't let him take Harry.  Narcissa gave him to Severus.  Severus could have taken him off and killed him if he was the monster you make him out to be, but he didn't.  He waited for her...to give him back."

He narrowed his eyes.  "Why are you defending him, Remus?"

"I'm not defending him.  I'm looking at the facts.  Besides, we all make mistakes.  I can think of a big one."

Sirius shook his head.  He was tired.  He didn't want to deal with this right now.  He needed time to think...about everything.  Suddenly, he looked Remus in the eye.  It had just occurred to him the "mistake" he was talking about.  "Look, when Serena comes out tell her I've gone to take care of something."

Remus frowned.  "Running isn't going to do you any good.  It'll only make things worse."

"I just need to think," he told him.

Remus nodded, knowing that there was no use saying anything further, and Sirius took off.

Sirius had barely gotten halfway down the stairs before he stopped, tears coming to his eyes.  The grief of losing his best friends, and the guilt from the spat he'd just had with Serena, along with Peter Pettigrew's betrayal, hit him like a ton of bricks and he began to cry.  He had almost completely forgotten about the betrayal.  Peter was the source of the rage he felt inside.  Not Serena.  He had just taken it out on her.  He would apologize to her the moment he saw her again.  Talking about Severus and Death Eaters had reminded him.  There was someone out there who had caused James and Lily's deaths.  And if it was the last thing he did, he was going to find Peter Pettigrew and make him pay dearly for it.

~ * ~

The door to the office creaked open and Remus smiled as Serena walked out, with Harry in her arms, and closed the door behind her.

"I see Dumbledore convinced you to change your mind," he commented.

Serena smirked.  "He has a very persuasive way about him."

"I think he's in good hands."

"Yeah, well you may be the only one."

He frowned.  "Sirius didn't mean to-"

She held up her hand.  "Don't apologize for him.  Dumbledore reminded me that he's dealing with a lot right now."  She looked around.  "Where is he?"

Remus gulped.  "He left.  He said he had something to take care of."

Her face fell, but only for a moment.  When she looked up again, there was a smile there.  Remus knew she was just putting on a brave face.  "It's okay.  I need to get home anyway.  Harry's exhausted and so am I."

"Would you like me to walk you?  Until you can apparate, I mean?  Magical boundaries and all that."

"You can if you like," Serena told him.  "I wouldn't object."  She didn't really want to be alone just yet.

Remus smiled.  "Okay then.  Let's get out of here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.8K 1.4K 25
Whenever Harry does something drastic, he always ends up in a strange situation. Warnings: Harry was never in love with Ginny (They were only very go...
53.3K 2K 32
Emma Moore, professor in Healing at Hogwarts, has to suppress her feelings for her old best friend and now colleague Severus Snape, who she hasn't se...
134K 3.7K 18
!Age gap warning! If you're not okay with it don't hate, just dont read, as EASY as that. :) What if Sirius Black had a daughter? What if she had fee...
9K 332 29
Severus Snape Fanfiction First book in the Arlyn Quinn series Arlyn Quinn was special; since the day she was born, she was magically inclined to a...