Lose Control (The Jewel Proje...

By Wimbug

"It's never going to end, is it? The rivalry, the hatred, the madness. Not even now. Not even after so many y... More

Preliminaries
Angels Over Chicago
Part I
1.1|| Secret Assignments
1.2|| Secret Assigments
2.1|| Peer Pressure
2.2|| Peer Pressure
3.1||Functions
3.2|| Functions
4.1|| Unlovable
4.2||Unlovable
5.1||Clash of the Titans
5.2|| Clash of the Titans
6.1|| Much Needed Escape
7.1|| Back to the Past
7.2|| Back to the Past
8.1|| Cage Uncaged
8.2|| Cage Uncaged
9|| What Best Friends Do
10.1|| And Everything Goes to Hell
10.2|| And Everything Goes to Hell
11.1||Consequences
11.2||Consequences
12.1|| It Gets Worse
12.2|| It Gets Worse
12.3|| It Gets Worse
13.1|| Joint Account
13.2|| Joint Account
14.1|| Sleep in it
14.2|| Sleep in it
15.1|| The Final Straw
15.2|| The Final Straw
16.1|| Therapy
16.2|| Therapy
17.1|| Middle names
17.2|| Middle Names
18.1|| Other People
18.2|| Other People
19.1|| She's Back
19.2|| She's Back
Part II
20.1|| Secrets and Lies
20.2|| Secrets and Lies
21.1|| Fall back in the arms of someone
21.2|| Fall back in the arms of someone
22.1|| Another Chance
22.2|| Another Chance
23.1|| Compromise
23.2|| Compromise
24.1|| Three Ways to Say Goodbye
24.2|| Three Ways to Say Goodbye
25.1|| Lose Control
25.2|| Lose Control
26.1|| The Original Three
26.2|| The Original Three
26.3|| The Original Three
27.1|| Final Wishes
27.2|| Final Wishes
28.1|| Rest in Pieces
28.2|| Rest in Pieces
29.1.|| Closure
29.2|| Closure
30.1.|| Asking for Trouble
30.2|| Asking for Trouble
31|| The Epic Train Ride
32.1|| Partygoers
32.2|| Partygoers
33.1|| Too Much Love Will Kill You
33.2|| Too Much Love Will Kill You
34.1|| Crappy Christmas
34.2|| Crappy Christmas
35|| Final Countdown
Part III
36.1|| Deeply Ingrained
36.2.|| Deeply Ingrained
37.1.|| Proof is in the Pain
37.2.|| Proof is in the Pain
38.1|| Desert Walkers
38.2|| Desert Walkers
39|| Gravity
40.1|| Gifts from the Gods
40.2|| Gifts from the Gods
41.1||Pull of the Void
41.2|| Pull of the Void
42.1|| Loose Ends
42.2|| Loose Ends
Final Author Note
Story Playlist
Slow Song
Rumors and Wedding Invitations
Prewedding Jitters
Much Ado about Cake
They Do
Slow Song
Afterparty
Author's Note

6.2|| Much Needed Escape

789 94 163
By Wimbug

Angie had found it very hard to focus during her lectures. Law was fascinating, a field she clearly wanted to work in, but all she could think about was Sam, how hurt he was, how... ruined. And then there was a text from Christine.

Angie, we need to talk. Why aren't you answering your phone?

Because she didn't want to talk to Christine. What would she even say beside yelling at her and questioning how she could hurt Sam like that, throw everything away? Everything that had happened was surreal and it was hard for her to accept it, figure out how to feel about it.

She and Christine were friends, but now that it had come to this, she realized she couldn't take her side. Sam was her friend, too, and a better one at that.

She hated the situation. It had such a negative impact on Tom, it actually made him scary. It had triggered all his jealousy buttons and a part of him she'd long thought dead was coming out. And she hated that part.

"Hey, you okay?"

Suzanna nudged her shoulder, almost sending her against the wall, smiling her one hundred watt smile, as usual. Angie tried to smile back, but it was hard.

It had become increasingly harder to make friends over the years and Suzanna was the closest she'd come to outside the group. She was all about fun and school, helping Angie with projects, taking her out dancing after exam session was over.

So a little mid-walk nudge was okay. She should be paying more attention anyway, not zone out while walking. But with lectures finally over, her mind had gone in meltdown mode. She needed sleep.

"Just had a rough night," she answered. "I can't wait to get home."

"If I were you, neither would I. I don't know how you leave home in the morning." Suzanna winked obviously and Angie fought the need to roll her eyes.

Yes, there was that. Even if she treated Angie like any other human being, Tom was a different story. Suzanna would always stutter in front of him and then gush about him when he was gone.

"Did you change your perfume?" Suzanna asked all of a sudden.

"No," Angie said, surprised. "I've had it for years."

"I love it. Got one too, but yours always seems to smell better."

Angie let out a laugh. She'd never had enough money to buy proper clothes, perfumes or cosmetics before, so she still felt flattered when anyone complimented her style. Christine had helped a lot with it, making sure Angie found her own inner goddess, like she called it.

People had always responded positively and Suzanna liked it so much, she tried to copy it most of the time. Which Angie was starting to find annoying rather than flattering, but whatever. She appreciated having a friend too much to whine about trivial things.

"Want to have a study session at my place later this week?" Suzanna asked. "It's been a while and I miss you around."

"I know. Things have just been hectic." Especially with her undercover work at Sarajevo. Unfortunately Angie could never make plans ahead of time. Snitch Gravel or the Agency were always sure to ruin them.

"So, is it a date? Or won't Tom let you go?" She winked again.

"Tom doesn't own me or tell me what to do."

"I'd totally let him," Suzanna gushed. "I know he's just old news to you, but wow. I'd probably still be fawning over him if I were you."

Angie raised an eyebrow. Her relationship with Tom was great, but they'd stepped well out of the honeymoon stages. Was that bad? Should they be spending more time together? Had her relationship... fizzled? No, that was stupid. They were fine. It was just this Christine thing messing with her head.

Suzanna reached her hand out to stop her just as they were going down the stairs leading from the University building to the parking lot.

"Ohmygod, he's here!" she squeaked.

Angie raised her eyes and all insecurity went out the window. The way he looked at her, the way he smiled... It warmed her up from head to foot. Because he was hers and as long as they were together, nothing bad could happen.

So she ignored Suzanna and hurried down the stairs and into his arms. He held her tightly, kissed her hair, and she couldn't get out of there fast enough. How could he smell so good, look amazing in just jeans and a t-shirt?

"So I take it you missed me," he whispered, sounding amused.

"Unexpectedly. I'm too used molding against you while I sleep. It was awfully cold without you."

Tom gave her a light squeeze and let her go. "I wasn't a fan of sleeping on the floor either. Remind me not to piss you off." He glanced at her up and down. "Nice outfit. You look hot."

She couldn't believe that after so much time, the simple words still made her blush. "Thanks."

"Hi, Tom," Suzanna said, finally reaching them.

"Hey... you," he answered, the hesitation small enough to hide that he had forgotten her name again.

"Suzanna," Angie whispered.

"How's everything?" Suzanna's voice was trembling with nerves so much, the words were barely understandable.

Tom smirked, because he was a jerk like that, and Angie nudged him in the ribs.

"Eh, it's been better," he finally said with a shrug. "A bit exhausted at the moment, to be honest. Nice to see you again, though." He reached out his hand.

Suzanna let out a tiny squeak as she took it and shook. For a second, Angie was sure she'd plummet to the ground in a fangirl faint.

"See you around, Suzanna," he added, wrapping one arm around Angie's shoulders and leading her away.

Angie waved at Suzanna and turned to him. "You almost made her faint."

"Damn, I though it would work," he said. "Should've kissed her on the cheek. That might have done it."

"You're evil."

"Nah. I just like to mess with fangirls."

He did. Tom usually avoided the hustle, but he wasn't the type to change who he was to suit his unwanted fame. So when he wanted to go out, he did, and made up for it by screwing with people. It was a way to cope, she supposed, but she'd rather just avoid it all together.

"How is Sam?" she asked as they got in the car and Tom drove off.

"Angry. And rightfully so. I'm angry and she technically didn't do anything to me."

Angie bit her lip, wondering if she should tell him about Christine's text. But he wasn't a moron and this didn't seem like the type of thing she should be holding back. So she took in a deep breath. "Christine wants to talk to me."

"Of course she does," Tom said with a huff. "You're probably her only friend,"

She was a little taken back by his reaction. She'd expected him to rage at Christine and forbid Angie from seeing her. Tom rarely showed understanding to anyone, so showing it to Christine was a million times stranger.

"I'm not sure what to do," she said, prodding on.

Tom didn't answer for a while, his eyes glazed over and lost on the car in front of them. A kid waved at them from the back seat and Angie waved back with a smile. It hurt her face.

"Do you want to see her?" he finally asked.

She pondered on the answer. Christine was her friend and she had her bad sides. As it was, no one was on her side. Rightfully so. But even if it felt petty and mean at the moment, Angie was convinced Christine must have justified this in some way. Something hadn't worked and she'd gone all wrong about it. Sam had his share of the blame. Except, she didn't want to hear it. Not yet.

"I don't know. Maybe not right now." They drove in silence for another few minutes, until she couldn't hold it in anymore. "What do you think?"

He pursed his lips, but didn't answer. Not until they reached their place and parked the car in the designate space. He cut off the engine and turned to her with a sigh.

"What I want and what I think are two very different things. I think that at some point you could talk to her. But only if you want to, only on your terms. I understand you can't ignore all those years of friendship between you."

It made sens, so she nodded. "What do you want?"

"I want you to never see her again," he answered, predictably enough. "I want you not to be exposed to her bullshit and her lies and her justification. This isn't justifiable, it isn't negotiable. You don't like something? You have a mouth. Talk. Don't hide and pretend everything's okay while you fuck some other guy on the side."

She cringed at his words, though she'd been expecting them. "It's not a disease, you know. Not something I can catch from her."

"Who said anything about you?" Tom asked, surprised.

"I know you, Tom." Heat rose to her cheeks, but it was from sudden anger. At Christine, at this situation, at everything and everyone who destroyed the shaky balance they'd been living in. That tiny made-up place where they thought they could be happy. But the world was ugly and now she had to face it. "I know that your first thought was if I'd do the same. I know you're afraid she'll convince me it's justified."

He raised his eyebrows. "It actually wasn't my first thought. And I wasn't afraid. Now I kind of am."

She pushed the car door open, stepped out and slammed it, her hands trembling with nerves. His jealousy was so annoying. And she couldn't help but blame Christine for everything.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" He'd stepped out of the car too, but leaned on the door, watching her with an expectant air. 

He didn't look upset or suspicious and at that moment she realized how absurd she was. It was the stress and the exhaustion. It was the fear of how he might take things. But it didn't mean he'd react the way she predicted. She didn't know anything.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I guess I'm just tired and worried. And confused."

"And hurt," Tom supplied. "I think we all are, on some level. It's been a shock and a hit for everyone. And not just because Sam is one fine step between the loony bin and jail. I just..." He sighed and finally closed the car door. "I just want you to talk to me. Tell me if something bothers you. We're in this together, as a team."

Tears filled her eyes as his words sank in, making her feel like a total bitch for her earlier thoughts and reactions. Maybe she'd only been seeing what she wanted to see. Maybe the insanely jealous part of Tom was really gone and she'd been so terrified about it coming out, she'd interpreted everything wrong.

"You're right," she finally said. "And nothing bothers me. Well, not about us, anyway. A lot of outside stuff bothers me."

He smiled and finally closed the door, then went over to hug her. "You know I don't care much for other stuff. Well, except..." He hesitated a moment. "Kyle called and asked if we'd like to go to Texas with him and Kay. They've got this wedding thing, but apparently Sam agreed to go with them and actually seemed a little excited by the thought."

She pulled back to look at him. "Really? That's great!"

"So, do you want to come?"

She nibbled on her lower lip, trying to make calculations. Of course she knew about it, Kay had been rambling about it for months, about how a couple of Kyle's former band mates were getting married and how they'd been together since forever. But given that she'd never thought she'd go, Angie had promised her own parents to go over later that month. And that would be too much school missed.

"You know I want to go to Tucson at the end of the month. I'd miss too much school."

"Oh." He seemed a little disappointed. "I forgot. You're right."

"You can still go." Even if she wished he wouldn't.

"Nah. Now that I come to think about it, some of us had better stay behind in case our pal Snitch decides to throw more bombs."

She read between the lines and well. If they left her home, she'd be on call, and he sure as hell wasn't allowing that to happen. And, to be completely honest, she didn't mind. She didn't want to be alone.

"Anyone else going?" she asked as they got in the elevator.

"Jimmy said he and Jessie might, but later. Jimmy's in the middle of some project."

Angie jutted her lower lip out, wishing she could work freelance, too. Though she guessed she could always become a lawyer and do that. Except Jimmy actually worked from home. "What about Jerry?"

"He's not going. He's busy, too."

Unexpectedly, it made her feel much better, like she wasn't missing all the fun. Once they reached their apartment, she let out a deep breath. Even if initially the place she shared with Jessie and Kay, it had become hers and Tom's once Kay had moved in with Kyle and Jessie had left for Harvard. It was home. The place she felt safe. The lock Jimmy had put on the door made sure of that.

Tom stretched and headed straight for the fridge. "Did you get you watch fixed?" he asked.

"When? We just talked about it last night."

"Oh. Right. I can't believe everything happened just last night. Feels like forever."

Angie couldn't agree more. It felt like the day would never end. Tom looked exhausted too, possibly affected by more than just the lack of sleep. Still, he closed the fridge and came to her, picked her up and placed her on the kitchen table.

"What are you doing?" Though it was very obvious since he kissed her behind the ear and stared down the neck. "Aren't you tired?"

"Exhausted, actually," he breathed on her skin, his fingers working on the buttons of her shirt.

"Don't you want to go to bed?"

"Bed is boring."

She wanted to push him back, but she found herself coming closer, kissing him back. Her head swam from the lack of sleep and it seemed to intensify everything else. So she just closed her eyes and enjoyed it, glad that after all these years he could still surprise her, make her want nothing more than to be with him.

She'd been wrong. Their relationship hadn't fizzled the slightest bit. It just seemed to get more intense with each passing day. It was just the worry.

Nothing but the worry.

♠️♠️♠️

And I'm right about done setting everything up. By this point I think you all got a glimpse of how everyone and everything has changed over the years. Time to break more stuff.

And go to Texas. Texas is nice. Who wants to see Max again? I know I do! Here's to hoping I actually get some writing time. Been pretty out of it for a while.

How does the relationship between Tom and Angie look? And should Angie actually meet Christine and talk to her?

All shall be revealed 😁 Now give me some love and maybe I'll write more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 587 41
When one is in an abusive relationship, usually the solution is to obviously leave that relationship. But ones fears may hold you back from doing som...
36.6K 7.1K 58
(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't like it. Will has the career he always dre...
52.2K 1.1K 142
Deception. Betrayal. Mistrust. It seems the closer Rayne gets to the truth, the more she finds herself wanting to run away from it. It's complex and...
219K 11.6K 45
Highest: #2 in adventure "My second question is what should my name be?" I raised my brows. "What? You don't have one yet?" He chuckled...