Rough Draft

Galing kay MadamMuffins

As a novelist Tina has no problem creating the trashy love scenes that played out so often in her 'erotic fri... Higit pa

Prologue
Glass Heart
Boom of Your Heart
Wrap My Heart in Cellophane
Stereo Hearts
Heart of Stone
Take These Chains From My Heart
Rhythm of My Heart
Somewhere in My Broken Heart
Groove Is In the Heart
Heart of Gold
Straight From the Heart
Secret Heart
Last Song for Your Heart

Don't Phunk With My Heart

80 3 0
Galing kay MadamMuffins

Tina slouched over the papers of her practice final. The end of her second year at Rhode Island College. The words all ran together as tears made her vision blur.

She had received the phone call from Louise last night. an update on Bob's failing health.

Cancer.

They had found tumors growing in his arms. Around the tendons in his wrist. Surgery was scheduled in three weeks.

"Finish your classes, Tina." He had suggested over the phone, listening to her repetitive panicked gasping. "I'll be fine. You can't get back these years at college. The education or opportunity."

"Yeah Tina!" Linda chipped in, "Louise is managing the shop. We're fine. We'll be fine. We're fine. Oh! And Gene came back to help out too, my big man."

"Paid, of course!" Tina heard him shout.

"Oh, hush you!" Linda's voice came muffled, then, much clearer, "Besides, you'll be done before Bobby's surgery. Move back home then. After everything is done."

Tina closed her eyes, her head swimming. She had sent out an email to her professors that morning explaining the circumstances. All but one had responded with an online test she could take in one week. Mr. Davies, her critical writing professor, demanded she stay to finish the written exam in a week and a half. No exceptions to his rules ever.

"This is fine." Tina sat back up, ignoring the ping of her cell phone indicating she should go to bed now. "I can do this."

And she could! She would. She'd bring back a high GPA and give her dad something to be proud of. Just in case-

~*~*~

"Well Tina," Candice clasped her shoulder, puling her in for a hug, "I'm sorry Erica couldn't be here but we'll miss you."

"I'll miss you guys too." Tina tucked her head into her friends neck.

"I'll read every one of your books, Tina." She smiled as she let go, watching her friend move around to the drivers side of the car. "I'll miss you."

"Bye Candice." Tina smiled, waving despite the tightness in her chest. "Keep my dad in your thoughts."

"I will!" Candice yelled as Tina backed away.

It was a long and uneventful drive back to New Jersey. Even beating the afternoon rush Tina's drive had taken an hour longer than it should have, making it rush hour when she pulled into town, coasting down the familiar roads. The trouble in her heart soothed as she rolled down the window, the familiar smell drifting over her, around her. The gentle crash of the ocean, the faint trill of Wonder Wharf's games and rides cranking in the distance, the scent of sea water and popcorn drown out her air freshener; who needed citrus blast anyway? She rounded the corner a few blocks away from her street just as someone darted across the road. Heart in her throat she slammed on the breaks.

"Whoa there, Speed Racer!" A familiar voice boomed, deeper and more rich than she remembered. "Tina? Tina Belcher is that you?"

"Oh. Yes, hello Zeke." Tina watched as he rounded to her window, crouching down to speak with her.

He'd buzzed his hair short on the sides leaving the top curly and long. Stubble lined his much more defined features. He still wore his classic green shorts and black tank, but his body had grown muscle - particularly in his upper torso, arms and thighs. Anxiously she moved to step on the gas when his arms rested against the door. Tattooed across his left hand was 'spice'; his right 'sport'. A large tattoo of color wrapped around his left bicep and ending a few inches from his elbow, though Tina couldn't quite make the colors and shapes out. Despite how uncomfortable she was, she didn't want to hurt him.

"Damn girl." He peeled a low whistle. "You're lookin' good!"

Tina rolled her eyes, desperately trying to avoid locking gazes, "How's college been, Zeke?"

"Eh, you know." He shrugged. "I'm learning to cook. Taking professional chef classes."

She caught him in a sideways glance, "I thought you were on a sports scholarship."

He nodded, his eyes drifting to the cars lining up behind Tina. "Go around!" He shouted, then lower, "Yes. But I can do sports and take real courses too, Tina." His eyes drifted over her body again. "I mean damn girl. You always were cute."

Tina couldn't ignore the bubbles rising in her stomach at his continued compliments. "I've been working out lately. Helps with my nerves. I guess I get really anxious about stuff."

"I heard yer published, girl!" His sudden change of topic made her smile faintly. "Congrats. Now I can say I know a bona fide author!"

"It's nothing big, really Zeke. What are you-" He pulled away suddenly, walking around to the front of her car, opening the door and hopping in. "Wh-wha-?"

"Let's go, Tina-girl." He grasped the strap of the bag by his feet as he twisted to buckle himself in. "I got some words to say to your daddy."

The reminder startled her, for a second she had forgotten.

"So what's it like in Rhode Island?"

She snuck a glance across the car. He had small gauges in his ears. Well, his left ear anyway. "It wasn't much different."

"I bet you were the apple of every guys eye, ol' 'Drive 'Em Nuts Tina'!" He chuckled.

She shook her head, ignoring the way the muscled in his forearms corded when he slapped his knee at his own joke. "I've never been that Tina."

"Girl, you had Jay-Ju fightin' with some loser over you? Lord knows I wanted a piece of that."

She started, pulling in front of the restaurant. "What?"

"What?" He unbuckled, clambering out. Hastily Tina followed. "I told you as much."

"No-"

He frowned, "I told you we were gettin' married. I ain't givin' up on that dream yet. Just you wait."

He held the door open as Tina walked past.

"Stop staring at my sisters butt!"

Tina rolled her eyes, sighing deeply as the smell of hot oil an fry seasoning hit her hard. "Hey Louise!"

"Tina!" Her sisters face appeared in the serving window. "We thought you'd be another few hours at least, let me get mom."

"Oh. Ok-"

"MOM! MOM TINA'S HERE!"

Tina flinched, grinning wide.

"Dang girl." Zeke pushed past Tina to sit at a barstool. "You still got them pipes and those crazy eyes."

"Well thank you." Louise smiled, returning to the grill as Rudy popped up in her place, ketchup smeared across his left cheek.

"Don't you be making advances on my girl." He threatened with one of the cutting knives, "I'm not asthmatic anymore, Zeke. I could beat you- Ow!" He shifted to the left violently as Louise elbowed him, whispering low. He blushed furious red, "W-well... not as asthmatic." He corrected, wheezing.

"Boy it's good to be back home, innit Tina?" Zeke spun to face her, looking up to catch her eyes behind her thick glasses.

Something about the scene, about the image of such a big man looking up at her... inspiration speared her fast through the chest.

"Wait right here, I've gotta write this." Fluidly Tina sat at the counter, whipping out her phone and typing the words, spelling errors and all, as quick as she could before the inspiration fled. "There, done!" She announced half an hour later.

"Geez, about frikkin time." Louise spat, half joking.

Tina hadn't realized how much her baby sister had grown. Louise had always been petite compared to the other Belcher children, taking more after Linda than Bob physically. She'd traded in her bunny ears for a hair band that kept the long hair out of her face. She refused to cut it and had traded her pig tails for a pony tail. Her engagement ring was a simple silicone band that changed color based on the temperature of the atmosphere. Tina felt a small stab of jealousy at Louise's small waist and slender form. Tina would never be a delicate woman, not like that. She smiled at her sister as she demanded Tina's order, eyes rolling.

"I'll have the-" she peered to the chalk board, "'Cheese Over My Hammy'?"

"Oh yeah, Rudy and I are in charge of the daily special now." Louise shrugged.

"It's a burger with a three cheese blend and a few pieces of bacon." Rudy shouted from the back. "Pretty good if I say so."

"I'll be the judge of that." Zeke announced, leaning against the bar top, "I've got a perfect palate you know." He winked at Tina, "You were so mad about that back in school." He chuckled.

"I do remember that." She twisted her seat absentmindedly. "I prefer not to though."

"What?!" Zeke slappd a hand on the counter, "You kiddin' me! Those were some of the best times I've ever had." The atmosphere changed slightly, something tender and almost fragile leaking around the edges of the lighthearted conversation. "Thinking about the adventures we had realy helped get me through some stuff-"

The door chimed.

"Hey Tina!"

She felt arms wrap around her, followed by the musty smell of BO and hot dogs. "Hi Teddy." She smiled, patting his forearm as he moved back. She noticed the age spots on his hands; how his skin was thinner, more delicate. Her heart twisted.

The people she loved were getting older and she couldn't stop it.

"Hey Teddy!" Rudy grinned, walking around to the front.

"Rudy!" He laughed in his weirdly mouthy way. "It;s nice to see you here today."

Rudy paused wiping his hands for a minute. "A-actually I'll be here a lot from now on." He grinned crooked, "Louise and I plan on taking over the restaurant."

Teddy frowned. "I mean, that's cool. That's cool. But what about Bob's other kids?"

Tina shrugged, "I'm okay with it. I'm pretty focused on my writing. As long as ownership is split between us Louise can run the shop all she wants."

"Oh. Wow." He rubbed the back of his head. "I mean, okay. that's cool. But if it was me, and it isn't! But if it were I'd be a little upset that my own blood relative was just assuming they'd be running my family legacy without consulting us first."

Tina shook her head, rolling her eyes. Good ol' Teddy. Nothing really changed with him. It eased the weight on her heart to see him acting like his old self.

"So what'll it be, Ted?" Rudy pulled a notepad from his apron pocket.

Tina looked around again. The restaurant had been repainted, the menu was expanded slightly to include a handful of fresh salads and sandwiches - three of which were a variation of a hamburger. There were more people in as well. Aside from Teddy and the family they had at least seven actual customers at almost all times. Tina shook her head to herself, her eyes watering. No. She didn't need to run the restaurant; she'd never been particularly good at cooking, or waiting on customer, or advertising. Louise and Rudy would do Bob proud.

A warm hand on her shoulder made her start. Zeke had reached across, scooting a bar stool closer to be beside her.

"You okay Tina?"

She started, something weird and sticky swimming in her stomach - she didn't have time to process the emotions, she nodded, smiling faintly, finally allowing herself to meet his gaze. She felt herself jolt, like a little bolt of electricity had traveled through her nervous system. Suddenly she felt too hot, too exposed, too- His hand weighed heavily on her but not uncomfortably; solid, reassuring, nerve wracking... and she wasn't sure she liked it. It wasn't that she disliked the contact... maybe? Maybe she didn't like it. She didn't know. Something passed over Zeke's face that she couldn't - wouldn't - identify.

"A salad it is then!" Teddy belted out.

Zeke dropped his hand, leaning away and turning back to the counter top.

"Did you want anything, Tina?" Rudy paused in front of her.

She took him in. He'd balanced out. He was still thin, but his head didn't look too big for his body anymore. His hair had darkened to a richer red color, his own engagement ring was a solid black as opposed to Louise's color changing one. The symbolism made her smile. He looked healthier than he had as a child though he was still young at 18.

"I'm good, Rudy. Just waiting for Mom."

He nodded, looking at Zeke who was still staring at the wall, an odd expression on his face.

"Uh... Zeke?" Rudy tapped his pencil on the pad.

"Milkshake!"

"Do we, uh... do we do milkshakes?"

Louise snorted, "No, pick a beer Zeke."

"It's only one in the afterno-"

"Well damn. Twisted my arm. Gimme a beer, Rudes."

The door tinkled again, "Oh there's my Tina!"

Tina spun in her chair, "Mom!" She grinned wide as Linda wrapped her in a hug, raining kisses on her face.

Linda pulled back, holding Tina at arms length. "Oh," she clucked, "You've grown since I last saw you." She pulled Tina back into her embrace. Tina felt her look around as the bells clanged. "And here's your Father!"

Linda moved aside, and Tina couldn't believe her eyes.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

4.3K 93 29
COMPLETEDâś… Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
2.4K 145 19
Kirsten never has time for love and romance. She spent all of her time studying in college and when she got out into the working world she devoted he...
1.4K 74 35
She moved all the way from Maine to a small town in Nebraska just as her senior year began. Thankfully, she managed to make two friends on her first...
46.2K 941 22
As the twin sister of Stiles, she often finds herself being compared to him - but she is quite different from her brother. Unlike him, she is popular...