midwife » michael gray. [com...

By johnshelby

after a night of violent pub fights, michael gray stumbles across a shivering midwife and offers her company... More

INTRODUCTION.
AUTHORS NOTE.
CHAPTER ONE.
CHAPTER TWO.
CHAPTER THREE.
CHAPTER FOUR.
CHAPTER FIVE.
CHAPTER SIX.
CHAPTER SEVEN.
CHAPTER EIGHT.
CHAPTER NINE.
CHAPTER TEN.
CHAPTER ELEVEN.
CHAPTER TWELVE.
CHAPTER THIRTEEN.
CHAPTER FOURTEEN.
CHAPTER FIFTEEN.
CHARACTER MOODBOARDS.
CHAPTER SIXTEEN.
UPDATED PLAYLIST.
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.
CHAPTER NINETEEN.
CHAPTER TWENTY.
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE.
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO.
ANOTHER AUTHORS NOTE.
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE.
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE.
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN.
PLEASE LOVE ME.
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT.
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE.
CHAPTER THIRTY.
AUTHORS NOTE.
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE.
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO.
LMAO SORRY.
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE.
PLEASE READ.
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE.
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX.
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN.
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT.
COCAINE HEART.
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE.
CHAPTER FORTY.
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE.
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO.
UPDATED CHARACTER LIST AND A HINT OF WHATS TO COME.
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE.
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR.
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE.
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX.
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN.
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT.
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE.
CHAPTER FIFTY.
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE.
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO.
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE.
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR.
EPILOGUE.
THE FINAL AUTHORS NOTE.

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR.

8K 247 43
By johnshelby

     → CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR; JUDGEMENT DAY.

[Before we start, I just want to say that I think all the timelines go a bit of the window at this point so we are going to pretend that they went to prison in like May and they came home early December? Also, John will not fucking die. It is not happening, not at all. Never will in anything that i ever write, i refuse to do it and i refuse to believe that he is dead. And in my mind, John is just on a very long holiday with Esme]

Every time Hannah got a spare moment, she would be on the telephone to Tommy or down by Watery Lane, asking him about what was happening with the prison situation. There was never any progression, which was no surprise to Hannah, with Tommy claiming that he was working on it or that something had come up that had side-tracked him from sorting the mess out. Hannah often wondered what could be more important than getting his family out of jail, but then she realised that this was Tommy Shelby and the man couldn't care less about anything.

Linda had successfully given birth to hers and Arthur's baby, possibly the only positive thing to have happened over the few months that had occurred. Hannah had been able to assist at the birth, under Sister Maria's watchful eye. It felt good to be able to wear the uniform again and hold a new-born in her arms, felt like a part of her was slowly coming back. Of course, it didn't last long and she was soon put back to doing voluntary work at the hospital. Not that Hannah minded, it was usually so busy, especially on the weekends, that it kept Hannah from thinking about Michael for a few hours. It was also something that she loved to do, so that brought her slight happiness and reminded herself of what she used to be before Father Hughes came onto the scene.

"Another returned letter for you, Hannah," Betty said lightly as she handed Hannah the letter that had a bright red stamp on it.

Seen as Tommy wasn't doing much to bring his family home, Hannah had decided to try. She wasn't much of an argumentative person, and she struggled to get her points across in the letters that she sent to the local council and the courts, but she did her best and spoke with honesty and truth about every member of the Shelby family. She didn't tell them about what Father Hughes had done, but she hinted at the fact that he was a terrible person with no morals or self-respect and that Michael had acted out of self-defence. It wasn't true, of course, Michael had entered that building fully wanting to murder the Father, but it was also for closure, even if it wasn't the best way to go about it.

Unsurprisingly, Hannah had every letter returned to her. The courts and local government figures not wanting to know, or associate themselves, with the Shelby's. It didn't stop Hannah from sending the letters though, every letter returned was just another letter sent and she wasn't going to give up until all four members of the family were walking the streets of Birmingham again. Arthur deserved to know his child, John had children who were waiting for him at home, constantly asking Esme where their father was and Polly needed peace after the dreadful couple of years, she had woefully endured. Hannah just needed Michael to be home, she needed to know that he was safe and well.

Hannah's main issue was that didn't know who to speak too. She didn't hold the power that Tommy did and she didn't have the contacts that Tommy had. The sisters could possibly have been some help but they would never involve themselves. To them, the family were exactly where they belonged.

As Hannah walked through the market, collecting some vegetables for dinner, she spotted the infamous Shelby walking along the cobbled street with his cap down low and a cigarette sitting in his mouth. It was very rare that Tommy showed his face around the streets of Small Heath, preferring to stay in London or at his stately home but every now and again, he would visit back to check on how the business was doing. Hannah would also spot him hanging around the convent, more than likely to check up on her to make sure that she wasn't going off the rails.

"Have you sorted it yet?" Hannah asked as she jogged up alongside him. The basket, which held broccoli and potatoes, was held in one arm as she looked up at Tommy, desperate for a positive reply that would make her day brighten up.

There was a sigh from Tommy as he shook his head, exhausted with Hannah's constant pestering. He understood, and completely sympathised with her but things weren't as simple as Hannah wanted to believe. To Tommy, the girl had too much faith in him. Everyone knew that Tommy held the key to getting his family released from prison, he was just struggling to turn it.

"For the fifth time this week, no. I'm sorry, I really am, but I'm trying my hardest."

"It doesn't seem like you are Tommy," Hannah replied candidly. "It sounds as if you have given up before you've even started and I don't like that at all. My fiancé is stuck inside of those four walls and I want him out soon."

Tommy closed his eyes, trying to be patient with the testing midwife. When he slowly reopened them again, Hannah was stood directly in front of him and was blocking his pathway. When Tommy moved to the left, so did Hannah, she wasn't going to let him get away with this one.

"I know that you've been in contact with Churchill in the past, can you not write to him? Alternatively, give me some details and I will do it." There was too much hope in her voice.

"Hannah - "

"Or go and talk to some of your higher up contacts, surely one of them must have some connection to the law system. The sooner we get them released, the better. We are running out of time and judgement day is coming."

"Hannah - " Tommy tried again, but was interrupted by Hannah who was doing everything she could to get Tommy to listen. She would've stood there for hours, coming up with different ways that Tommy could sort out the giant mess that had happened.

"They've been in there for months now, the police and courts won't hold them for much longer. Crime is happening every single day in Birmingham and they'll need the space. We all know who the first four people to leave will be, and they won't be leaving to the outside word. No, they'll be heading straight for the rope."

"Hannah, for the last time, I am working on it. Michael will be out soon, okay?" Tommy raised one eyebrow and gently moved Hannah out of the way before continuing on with his walk to Watery Lane, ignoring the disappointed stares from residents who knew about Tommy's deception. They wouldn't dare say anything to him but they were all thinking the same thing. How could a man let his family rot away in jail?

+++

It was December the 4th when everyone came home.

Michael went straight over to the convent after being dropped off at home, still dressed in his clothes from prison, the feeling of the rope around his neck still noticeable in his mind, the same fear still there. His heart was beating a million miles per hour as he ran to the convent, unsure if Hannah would still be waiting for him or if she had moved on.

When the convent came into sight, Michael moved back for a while and had a few words with himself down the back of one of the alleyways that led to someone's house. Running a hand through his tousled curls, Michael took deep breaths and tried to focus on the positives - he was still alive, he was breathing fresh air and that he was about to see Hannah. It was what he had been dreaming about for months but now that it was here, he didn't know if he could go through with it.

It took him a good ten minutes to finally build up the strength to go knock on the tall, heavy doors of the convent. He quickly caught a glimpse of himself in the window, his face was still a little bruised up and there was a small cut besides his ear from one of the beatings. Luckily, the police had given up with their everyday taunting and beatings towards the end of the prison stint.

It was Alexandra that opened the door, her mouth falling open at the sight of Michael. Nobody had honestly believed that Michael would be returning home, even Hannah had given up a little. The fiery streak that Hannah had was slowly burning out, all of her time and energy going into doing hardly anything but be sad and wait for Michael. Now that Michael was back, Alexandra hoped that the old Hannah would return.

"Well, this is a nice little Christmas gift for Hannah," Alexandra said with a wide smile.

"Where is she?" Michael asked, rather, quick and intensely. He was keen to get inside and see Hannah but he had to make sure that none of the sisters were knocking around, it would only lead to argument.

"She's currently in the bath - " Alexandra paused and opened the door wider, allowing Michael inside. "The nuns are currently at the mother house for a couple of days and will not be back until tomorrow night. I probably shouldn't be doing this, and I will get into a lot of trouble if anyone finds out that I've let you in. It's just me and the girls here, and everyone is currently on duty but me, and no one will be back until later tonight. So, you have the whole convent to yourself for the day. Just don't make any mess, aye?" Alexandra told him with a smile as she grabbed her coat. "Mine and Hannah's bedroom is straight up the stairs on the right, there's a blue ribbon around the door handle for some reason."

"Thank you for this. I promise that I won't say anything to anyone."

Alexandra smiled again, pleased to see Michael alive and well despite everything they had occurred. "It's not a problem. Also, I know you two haven't seen each other for a long time but please no sex in the convent."

Michael laughed and nodded his head. "I promise."

Alexandra left Michael alone to find his way to the bedroom. As he walked up the stairs, he could hear Hannah's soft voice as she sung 'moonlight bay', a song that her mother used to sing to her when she was younger. There was the sound of water crashing about in the tub, mixing in with Hannah's somewhat good singing, Michael felt at home as he leaned against the wall and listened to her, her voice the greatest melody that Michael had ever heard.

Michael made his way over to Hannah's bedroom, wanting to surprise her when she entered the room. Just as he was about to open the door, he took note of the blue ribbon and recognised it immediately. It was a blue ribbon with black stitching, the same ribbon that Michael had used to wrap up Hannah's first present from himself. It was a simple thing, but it made Michael happy. Just to know that Hannah had kept little things like that from their relationship, it also made him believe in his and Hannah's relationship - maybe there was still something there for them.

Feeling like a little child, Michael sat on the edge of Hannah's bed and waited patiently for her to come out of the bath. She always loved taking her time when it came to taking baths, wanting to enjoy every minute of peace and relaxation before they day ahead. Michael often joined her, the two of them laid in the water in complete silence as they allowed the warm water to take over their bodies, sending them into a calm state of mind and helping them to forget about the disasters that seemed to follow them around constantly.

"Alexandra, do you think that Dr Dring would mind me doing some work in his office?" Hannah shouted as she walked down the hallway, believing that Alexandra was located in their shared bedroom. "I mean, I need the money and it would give me something else to do other than just - "

Michael stood up instantly, unsure of what to do with himself. Hannah was stood in the doorway, a towel wrapped around her body, and her body still damp. There was a noticeable gulp as she looked Michael up and down, unsure if he was there or not. For all she knew, she could have been imagining it. She had spent so many nights awake, thinking and fantasying about Michael that she honestly thought he was there most of the time, holding her and protecting her.

"One minute," Hannah said as she held up her finger. Michael watched in confusion as Hannah walked out of the bedroom, closed the door, waited a few moments and then walked back in. "Okay, you really are here."

Michael nodded, "and I'm not going anywhere ever again, I promise."

Hannah didn't walk over to Michael, she was terrified that it was still part of her imagination. She had dreamt about this moment for months and months, desperate to touch and kiss him again but she was frightened. Michael sensed this and stayed back, waiting calmly for Hannah to make the first move. This was foreign territory for both of them, it was as if they had only just met for the first time.

"I have something to tell you, Michael," Hannah said warily, scared of what Michael's reaction would be. "I just want to get it out of the way now."

Michael's body froze in fear, petrified that Hannah had moved on and found somebody else. He didn't know what he would do if that was the case, he'd rather be dead than be without Hannah at this point.

"What is it?"

"I went and visited your parents, your real parents."

Michael furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "why?" he asked, not understanding the point of Hannah visiting the village he had been trying to forget since he had arrived in Small Heath.

With a shrug, Hannah looked down at the ground. "I just wanted to feel close to you and being round here, it just made me think of the bad times. We spoke about when you was a child and how you broke your arm falling out of a tree and when you failed English class because you had a crush on one of the girls in the classes and I did get a little jealous about that but I'll let it slide because you was thirteen and when I was thirteen, I had a bit of a crush on this one boy in my Science but looking back on it, I don't know what I saw him in - " Hannah was cut off by Michael's laughing. "What's so funny?"

"I've just missed your rambling," he replied, taking one step closer. "I'm not angry that you went to see my parents but you didn't tell them what had happened, had you?"

"I didn't have too, they already knew. It was in the papers and they heard through a relative that lives this way. They only mentioned it once but I told them that I didn't come here to discuss that."

"Did they say anything else?"

"They said that they were happy that you had found a good woman despite your surroundings."

Michael took another step forward. "I'm happy that I found you too."

Hannah turned around and dropped her towel, sending Michael into a cloudy state of mind, it had been ages since he had been able to touch Hannah intimately. He didn't push it though, he wanted to wait for her to be ready. Hannah reached up and grabbed the dressing gown that was hanging from a hook on the door before putting it back on and turning around to face Michael. He had moved one step closer.

"I've missed you so much," Hannah whispered, not bothering to wipe away a tear that fell down her cheek.

"Sweetheart, come here." Michael opened his arms and Hannah was immediately there, wrapping her own arms around Michael's waist as she held onto him for dear life. She never wanted to let him go again. "I'm never leaving you again, never."

"Good, I don't think I'd cope."

They both stayed embraced in each other's arms for a while in complete silence. It took all of Michael's strength to remove himself from Hannah but once he had moved to bed and was sat comfortably, Hannah found her place on his lap and sat there quietly, enjoying the quietness and the warmth of Michael's body.

The inevitable question was looming, they both knew this. Michael was just waiting for Hannah to say it.

"What happened today, Michael?" Hannah asked before pressing a light kiss against Michael's neck, smiling at how he shivered under her touch. "You don't have to speak about it if you don't want to."

Michael clenched his jaw before nodding, he wanted to talk about it. "My cell door opened to a priest stood there, I knew what was coming. They led me down to this room which had three hanging ropes in. One for Arthur, one for John and one for me. My heart stopped, Han, I thought that was it. All I could think about was you - " Michael stopped himself for a moment as he tried to not to cry. He had done enough crying over the last God knows how many months. " - I pictured your face when you got the news that I'd been hung, about how you'd have to attend my funeral. Thought about how we would never get married and I'd never see you in a white dress or with a wedding band on your finger. I just saw our future that would never happen because of him, that fucking Father Hughes. When they put the rope around my neck, I just closed my eyes and tried to be at peace."

"How did you end up here then?"

"Tommy left it until the last minute, didn't he? Typical Thomas Shelby," Michael smiled down at his lap, almost in disbelief that he was still alive. "Something interesting to tell our grandchildren anyway."

"It's not funny, Michael," Hannah responded, her voice much more serious than Michael's. "I would've hurt Tommy if anything had happened to you."

"How would you have done that?"

"I don't know." Hannah shrugged as she tried to think of some ideas. "I'd slash his tyres with a knife, or I'd throw a brick through his window."

Michael laughed at Hannah's comment, amused by her innocence. "Really fucking missed you. Been a rough few months, aye? We got through it though."

"We always do, don't we?" Hannah beamed, nuzzling her head into Michael's neck as she took in the smell of his aftershave, something that he had quickly used when he had arrived back home. His plan was to have a bath and clean himself up before going to find Hannah but desperation got too much for Michael and he decided that those things could wait.

Since May, Michael had lived in silence to the point that he hated it. When he was stuck in the tiny cell, he would dream about The Garrison and how Saturday nights would go down. The sound of the loud melodies that went all the way into the backroom due to the drunken men singing loudly. Usually, Michael hated it, but he craved it more than anything when he was locked up. Silence had become a misery, a torture method and something that would take a while to get used to. He needed to hear noise, he needed to drink and he needed to party. The side of him that was destroyed was taking over but Michael didn't particularly care, he just wanted to enjoy his freedom.

"Shall we go to The Garrison tonight? John mentioned something on the way home about a welcome back party, I'm sure it's all been set up by now," he joked.

"I have to do a couple of hours at the hospital tonight, it's just filling in forms and updating patients' files so it won't take me too long. I can meet you at The Garrison at about ten?" she suggested to which Michael agreed. "The bathwater might still be warm. I think I have some of your clothes here so I'll sort that out." Moving off Michael's lap, Hannah stood up straight and held her hand out, inviting Michael to take hold of it. "It will be okay, Michael. I promise you."

+++

It had been a while since Michael had been in this situation.

He stopped taking drugs when Hannah came into his life, deciding that he didn't need them anymore to get by. If he ever needed to feel high; he would just go and be in Hannah's presence, she had an ability to let him up and make him feel better about himself.

However, times were desperate and Michael was slowly breaking down. He had made the wrong choice of drinking heavily before he had even reached the pub, believing that he needed to get drunk to make it through the night and the endless questions that were being asked. Everyone was curious to know about the Shelby's stint in prison.

Michael had genuinely believed that he would be okay when he entered The Garrison, he had drunk enough to get him buzzed but the nerves just simply got the better of him. Without Hannah by his side, he was a complete state. It was like he had completely forgotten how to chat and be normal, the words struggling to be released from his mouth when he spoke to old friends and work pals. He needed Hannah with him desperately, but she wasn't due to arrive for another hour so stupidly, he went straight over to Isaiah and brought an enough cocaine to last him the night, and that's how he ended up in the bathroom with the door closed, and the noise locked away for the time being.

It felt natural to Michael as he snorted the line, he had missed it. Hannah didn't even slip into his mind as he snapped his head back up, eyes wide and nose burning. There was a long, deep breath from Michael as he took some time to collect himself. He wanted to be high, needed to be high, but he didn't want to make it obvious, especially when Hannah arrived.

Staring at himself in the mirror, Michael felt like himself again. His peaky attire was finally on his body, the expensive material which felt like silk compared to the rough prison uniform was a blessing. The gun in his pocket held memories, mostly bad, but Michael was just glad that he had some sort of protection again. Hannah was bound to disagree with the gun but she knew what type of person Michael was and she wasn't going to stop him.

"Oi, Michael, your wife is here," Isaiah shouted over the loud voice, his fist banging against the wooden door.

In a panic, Michael wiped down the side which had little flecks of cocaine on it and shook himself off. Hannah had arrived early, of course, but Michael was ready to face the pub.

"Isaiah, we never got married, remember?" Michael chuckled, pushing his best friends arm away, which was leaning against the door frame and blocking him from leaving the bathroom. "She will be soon though," he continued as he walked down the hallway towards the door that led to the main room. "Keep some space in your diary, mate. I am going to need a best-man."

Poor Hannah was standing awkwardly by the bar as she waited for Michael. She did not want to enter the backroom, terrified that Tommy would be there and she did not want to see the man until she had fully calmed down and she knew that Michael was completely sound within his mind.

"So how is my precious fiancée?" Michael asked as he came up behind Hannah, his arms wrapping around her waist and his chin rested on her shoulder.

Hannah noticed the unusual tone his voice, he was happy, but also hyperactive. His words came out quicker than normal but she simply put it down to his drinking. She knew that he was going to get plastered and she did not blame him one bit, she would be right behind him.

"She is doing very well, how are you doing?" Hannah attempted to turn around but Michael kept her firmly in her place, pushing her further into the bar, holding her incredibly close.

"All the better know that you are here," he chirped, the widest smile on his face. With quick actions, he spun Hannah around, startling the poor woman for a moment. "Are you going to give us a kiss then or what?"

Hannah looked at Michael with concern. "Are you okay?" she questioned, not noticing the way Michael stiffened up at her question. He needed to do a better job at keeping his secret an actual secret. Hannah was not a fool.

"I'm just thrilled to see you," gushed Michael, his cheeks turning red from the mixture of booze, cocaine and the amount of people who were pouring into the pub. "Now, do I get that kiss or not?"

With a giggle, Hannah leaned up and wrapped her arms around Michael's neck, dragging him into her as she pressed her lips against his. It was only meant to be a quick, romantic kiss until the two of them got some time alone but Michael had other ideas. The mixture of missing Hannah and the cocaine was making Michael be more hands on than what he would normally be in public. His hands were trailing across her body, his tongue pressing against Hannah's and even though she loved every moment of it, and wanted it to carry on, she had to remember that her patients visited The Garrison and she didn't want to come across as being unprofessional, despite it being her free time. There would be some blabbermouth that would go back and tell the Sister's at the convent that one of their workers was being borderline sexual in the middle of a crowded pub.

"I might just take you home," Michael whispered in Hannah's ear as he placed a kiss on her neck. "Or round the back for a quick one." Another kiss on the neck. "Just been way too long and my hand doesn't compare to the way you feel - "

"Alright, that's enough," Hannah said, cutting him off before he could say anymore. "Tomorrow, okay? You've had way too much to drink tonight."

With a pout, Michael reluctantly agreed. If it was up to him, he would've taken Hannah there and then but he wanted to respect her wishes. Luckily, she hadn't caught onto the fact that he was as high as a kite.

"I'll buy you a drink instead then, my love." 

authors note; i am on a roll. i hope you all enjoyed this chapter - lemme know what you think!! 
this is only part one of this chapter, the next chapter will continue on from this so yeah, idk why i told u that cos yall all know soon anyway.
please vote, comment and leave me feedback!! it's appreciated xo 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 3.1K 53
'Reach for the healing from emotional pain and physical injury, for emotional and spiritual intelligence, for surviving through all challenges and di...
70.1K 1K 26
Peaky Blinders imagines. A range of short stories about original characters merged with the Peaky Blinders.
829K 26K 106
~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving, he was a new father and soon to be mar...
2.7M 37.3K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)