CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE.

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE; 1+1. 

The note remained in Hannah's pocket for the whole day, the crumpling of the paper making noises whenever she bent down, and her uniform creased - the sound a reminder of what she was meant to do.

By the time that clinic had closed, the babies had been weighed and all the mothers had left, Hannah was exhausted, but she had somewhere to be and she wasn't going to miss it for the world. Her love for Michael was stronger than anything and no matter how many times she tried to stop herself, she would always go running back to him and Michael would always go running back to Hannah.

"Where are you going?" Betty asked as she wiped a few surfaces down, her eyes only quickly looking up at Hannah who was flapping about as she looked in the compact mirror that Michael had brought her from London.

"I'm going to try and sort things out with Michael," she answered, as she smoothed her hair out. "Don't tell Sister Maria please, I'm already in her bad books after this morning."

Betty sighed as she remembered everything that had kicked off in the morning, it was just unneeded and caused unwanted drama within the convent, but Betty could understand Hannah's frustrations, she would not like it if Sister Maria was constantly getting on at her for the man that she dated. Still, Betty couldn't understand Hannah's unexpected hatred that was directed towards Father Hughes.

"I won't do. Also, we have arranged a fundraising event. It's just going to be a fun day for the parents to come along too with their children and we might do a raffle and stuff that like that," Betty told Hannah, filling her in on the information that had been told once Hannah had left after his argument with Sister Maria.

"Sounds lovely." Hannah checked herself over one last time before smiling at Betty. "I best get going."

Betty nodded and went back to her work, not wanting to get too distracted as it would make her lose her focus. Hannah wandered around the clinic for a few more minutes, getting all her thoughts together and making sure that she had what she wanted to say prepared.

The stroll to the cafe was quicker than Hannah had anticipated and within a short five minutes, she was stood outside of the door and preparing herself for whatever was about to happen. She was already half an hour late to meet Michael because one mother at the clinic had decided to start a fuss over something so little which put everybody behind schedule, so she hoped that Michael would still be inside waiting.

The curtains were shut, and it seemed as if no one was in there but the sound of footsteps pacing around settled her thoughts. Michael had obviously payed the owners to close early and leave for a little while so himself and Hannah could resolve their issues which Hannah was thankful for - she didn't need an audience when she opened up to Michael.

A bell rang as Hannah opened the door and stepped inside, the cool cafe a nice contrast to the blazing hot, summer sun that was causing sweat to form on her forehead. it was dark and dingy with a scent of coffee and grease, but the most noticeable thing was the silence. Both Michael and Hannah had acknowledged each other - Michael stood on one side of the room, Hannah stood on the other side of the room.

"You came," Michael said, breaking the silence. "I didn't think that you were going to come for a moment."

Hannah looked at the ground and shuffled her feet, doing her best to not look too uncomfortable. "Clinic went on for longer than I expected, sorry."

"You are here now and that's the most important thing."

Michael pointed towards a vacant table before turning on one of the lights so that the room lit up a bit more. Hannah watched Michael as she walked over to the table and sat down, her heart racing with every passing second.