CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE.

→ CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE; ARTHUR AND LINDA SHELBY,
DRUNKEN CONFESSIONS,
AND PROMISES.

Due to Alexandra's quick thinking and charming charisma, Mrs. Fisher remained quiet about the little spat that she and Hannah had after too many nasty comments about Michael and the rest of the Shelby family. Alexandra had also promised to not breath a word about the quarrel to any of the Sister's because she knew full well that it would land Hannah in trouble and she did not want to lose her best friend. Despite Hannah's mistakes, she was an excellent midwife and the mother's in the district where she worked adored Hannah, despite their dislike for the man that she was madly in love with. Like Hannah had always said, it was nobody's business and she would continue to love and adore Michael.

The day had started off well. Hannah had spoke about Tommy's latest business venture which included helping the working-class children and for once in her life, Sister Maria seemed reasonably impressed with something that the blinders were doing. Michael had found in the morning; he was a bit iffy, but he soon perked up when Hannah promised to see him sometime in the week. However, the day turned miserable when Sister Margaret informed Hannah that she would once again be nursing Mr. Maxwell who had got into some more bother at his place of work. Betty offered to see Mr. Maxwell for the next week and a bit until Hannah's schedule had lowed considerably. Hannah was extremely thankful for this. She couldn't cope with Mr. Maxwell and his flirty comments that made her feel uncomfortable.

Linda Shelby was last on Hannah's rounds and a good, hot cup of tea was what she needed after spending the whole day on her feet, nursing injuries and explaining to one mother that she wasn't in labour for the fifth time that week. Hannah could only hope that Arthur had remembered to have the brew waiting for her when she arrived at their house, along with a cigarette which would take away the anxieties that she was feeling when it came to Michael.

Michael was getting better - at least that's what Hannah had thought. The terrible mood-swings and detached looks had pretty much vanished but when Hannah had mentioned seeing Father Hughes again to discuss a property that had recently become available in the rural area, the unwelcoming mood began to cloud over their relationship. Hannah was worried about his mental state more than anything. She could gradually see him losing his way and the mumbling that he did in his sleep only worried her more. It was apparent that Michael was not an open man and kept certain things to himself - only to shield Hannah from any harm that could possibly end up hurting her - but she sometimes wished that he would open to her and acknowledge the truth instead of a living a life of dishonesty and damaging their relationship. Whatever happened, Hannah would always have his back and would not give up on Michael; she was too in love with the enigmatic boy.

Polly had been reserved as well. Every time that Hannah popped round to the house to give Polly a hand - either with the dishware or doing the weekly shop - Hannah would take note of the baggy eyelids and messed-up hair. Never questioning Polly, because Hannah feared that Polly may snap back at Hannah and dislike her for life - she continued with her and acted as if nothing was wrong with the older woman. Hannah had secretly interrogated Michael about Polly's state, but he was entirely unmindful and said that it was nothing, probably just due to the stress of the business, Tommy, the grace of death and everything else that seemed to be collapsing around them.

"You've been stood on this doorstep for about a minute now daydreaming," Arthur said, knocking Hannah out of her daze. "Linda and I have been watching you from the window and laughing. No offence."

Hannah waved one hand in the air before smiling groggily. "I'm just exhausted, I am sorry."

Arthur shook his shook his head, dismissing Hannah's apology because there was no need for it before taking her weighty medical bag and showing her through to the kitchen. Hannah just about burst into tears when she saw the cup of tea sitting on top of the red and white spotted tablecloth, steam blowing up from the fluid. "I could kiss you right now, Arthur."